• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird, Netflix JP used to have subtitles for shows like 進撃の巨人 and 天狼 day and date but now you gotta wait a week for them to be released. On the other hand バキ still gets them day and date so it seems to be on a per show basis.
It's not unusual for Japanese anime to appear on Netflix with a week delay.
バキ was made in association with Netflix, which is presumably why the episodes get released without a delay.
I don't think that's the case for either 進撃の巨人 or 天狼.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
i could only find raws for the first 5 eps of 小さなの巨人 unfortunately, do you still want them?
the last 5 eps are the best tho :(

Yeah I'm keen for whatever you've got, thanks :)

in other news, i was gonna make a post here a few weeks ago about how i'd completely lost my mojo but i think i've gotten it back. gotta say, never would have thought learning a language would be such a struggle like this. there have been some dark times.

Good thing you got it back :). Loss of motivation does happen with long term endeavours like that (I've had some rough patches for my PhD for example lol). As long as you don't stop entirely and eventually come back to it it's all right to dial it back for a while I reckon.

It's not unusual for Japanese anime to appear on Netflix with a week delay.
バキ was made in association with Netflix, which is presumably why the episodes get released without a delay.
I don't think that's the case for either 進撃の巨人 or 天狼.

It's not the episodes themselves - they do come out on the same day as they air on TV-, just the subtitles. Not a huge issue but I use subtitles to create Anki cards so I prefer to have them haha.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Which books do you use? About Duolingo, I hope you're aware that some readings are wrong with certain kanji. If you don't know the kanji beforehand, it might teach you wrong habits. Duolingo is handy for practicing the basics once you know what is right and wrong. You might also be interested in Lingodear (an app for smartphone). It's similar to Duolingo in structure but it focuses more on grammar (you can see explanations) and you have more freedom to exercise previously learned words/grammar. It starts slow but it teaches you things without mistakes from what I have seen based on a week.

Just to add more about Duolingo.

There's a big difference when using the app and the browser version with a keyboard.

The app version has problems where kanji has the wrong readings because every block has a pronounciation example. When you use Duolingo on your computer/laptop and type everything out, this problem not only disappears but you also get far better practice because you're typing the sentences yourself. This forces you to think about the way you want to say things and you feel as if you're talking more instead of practising.

However it does have another problem. It forces you to use hiragana or only simple kanji because there are times where it counts kanji as wrong. Only simple kanji are recognised in the system.

So, to recap things: Duolingo has some neat ideas worth exploring for new learners who want to practice basic grammar. The browser Duolingo is the better choice. The app is better than nothing but it should be far better than what is currently on offer. Duolingo doesn't explain grammar, use it only as a supplement.

Thanks for the info on Anki.

Anyone have any suggestions for beginner decks to use? I'm browsing now and even that is overwhelming as hell.

I was hoping others more familiar with Anki would chime in. The sentiment here is to make your own decks to learn better. As for helping out with picking beginner decks. That's very difficult to do. It depends on what you want to get out of it and what topics you want to focus on.

Maybe it might be an idea to find a good Tae Kim deck to practice while reading Tea Kim's grammar guide on his website. Do you know about this already?

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar

in other news, i was gonna make a post here a few weeks ago about how i'd completely lost my mojo but i think i've gotten it back. gotta say, never would have thought learning a language would be such a struggle like this. there have been some dark times.

It's good to hear that you've gotten it back. What happened though?

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
It's good to hear that you've gotten it back. What happened though?

I've been studying seriously for 3-4 years now, and my goals/desires for learning have shifted heaps in that time. From wanting to live and work in Japan, to wanting to go back to Uni in my country (Australia) and pick up a degree, to trying to find a bridge with my current profession. I think I just got really tired of it, because I haven't achieved anything tangible with it yet. And I don't know if I ever will. So it's like...why keep investing time into it? Which is why I stopped for a bit. But then I felt like there was a gap in my life with all this extra time I had.

The hardest part for me is that the more you continue to learn, the deeper the rabbit hole goes. I find it hard to draw the line for what I need to learn and what I don't. So that can be really demotivating, because I keep running into things (grammar, idioms, terms) that I don't know yet. It's hard to decide whether that makes you stupid, bad at learning the language, or if it's really just fucking hard and meant to be this way.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
my new japanese teacher started class with 20 riddles which was great fun and then we did a bunch of transative -> intransitive verbs and vice versa which was A LOT LESS FUN.

contextless learning is extremely boring

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
my new japanese teacher started class with 20 riddles which was great fun and then we did a bunch of transative -> intransitive verbs and vice versa which was A LOT LESS FUN.

contextless learning is extremely boring

For sure, but context based learning can only get you so far. In my opinion this is especially true for Japanese; there comes a point where you need to halt context based learning and start drilling the obscure shit. That's where I've really start to burn out recently. But I guess if you want to be really good at it, you need to do it.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
that's true, i had to drill extensively to get sufficient foundation to be able to start exploring/studying on my own

but looking back on a big list of words and being like 'you need to learn the seven forms of this word' is... well it's called a drill because it's like a drill being applied to my skull i think

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
I think for the staff classed as N1 grammar (and some N2), you need to drill the shit out of them to remember them.
Then you need to read and drill a lot of really dry, boring sentences to build your "context" base, which is just as boring as drilling. I never see (very very rarely) any of that level grammar come up in stuff I find interesting to read (manga, light novels). That's why it pisses me off, lol.

Vocab though, def best to learn that through context. Drilling vocab is some painful shit.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
These weekend I'm preparing a bunch of cards for next week. I'd like to make both vocab and grammar cards (at least until I finish the N2 book, I'd rather not leave it halfway through), though I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to do both everyday (while leaving some time to read that is). I have also went back to Jalup Next, mostly because I overall quite like how the cards and progression are made; it's also a lot quicker than Anki (and has audio for each sentence, which is great), so I can do those reviews and quite a few new sentences everyday on top of everything else.

I was also looking through some old recommendations I got in this thread, mainly カンガルー日和, 何者, そして生活はつづく; does anyone know how these books would compare to something like 君の名は。 difficulty wise?

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys know why バケモノの子 uses katakana in the title, instead of the kanji for Bakemono? Is it just to invoke a sense of foreignness, referencing the fact that the so-called monsters are just citizens from another world? Or is there an actual grammatical reason?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
My guess would be that it's a stylistic thing, maybe for the reason you mentioned, maybe to make it stand out.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
I don't usually post stuff like this but figured the public roasting could be a bit of fun. I went to a Japanese meetup/night club event last night in Melbourne. Not gonna lie, I definitely questioned whether I had any social skills left - I think it's time for me to join the old people club of this thread. Still, I left having made a few friends at the end. It's also the first time I haven't been told 日本語は上手ですよね! and instead got やべ!!ペラペラ! which was nice.

So, don't let your dreams be dreams. You're probably better skilled with your Japanese than you think.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations on your highly developed ability to talk to people (despite your declining ability to talk to people)!

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Nice.

It's always nice to use the language for non-weeb stuff haha

That reminds me that I haven't been to my uni's meet-up club in what seems like forever. I'm usually too tired on friday nights...

This week hasn't been the most productive for me either. Did my Anki reviews and watched 1 anime episode a day but that's about it. I submitted the journal paper I've been working on for most of the week 5 minutes ago so tomorrow will be a good opportunity to catch-up on studying.

Otherwise, anyone seen this video yet:

Disregarding the fact that the name of the plug-in he's making is pretty sus, I found it pretty interesting.

It's looking at adjusting Anki settings to maximise the number of words you remember in a set amount of time. I haven't checked the maths since my brain is already fried from that paper, but it seemed to make sense at first glance.

What he ends up finding is that aiming for a 90% retention rate (Anki's default) is actually not ideal. If you make all the review intervals drastically longer (by adjusting the ease factor) and increase the number of new cards you make each day in the time you've just freed up, you'll end up remembering more words in the same amount of time even if your retention rate will go all the way down to ~70%.

Now there might be more factors at play - for example getting a lot of reviews wrong might feel frustrating depending on your personality and stuff like that.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Pfft, non-weeb stuff. When I can play Gihren's Greed, I'm done.

On a not-totally-unrelated note. Downloaded Qooapp again; figured that getting some Japanese apps might help me to get out of the mode where my brain goes "fuck this" on seeing too much Japanese at once.

But I don't actually have any idea what to get. I mostly just grabbed some games I was curious about:

Monster Hunter Explore
Dragonball Dokkan Battle
Sangokushi 12
Shonen Jump Jikkyou Janjan Stadium
Super Robot Wars X-Ω (also deleted this one pretty quick)​

But I don't know if there are any good things I'm missing out on, or which non-gaming apps that are worth should be looking for.

Last edited:

iseta

Jun 26, 2018
Jupiter
Hey OP! Great content in this thread overall! I've been trying to get started on learning for a long while and this really was a great starting point.
I just wanted to point out (if it has been done before, I'm sorry) that the link for the Basic "Complete Newbie" is offline. Is there a mirror or an equivalent textbook? Thank you!

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Hey OP! Great content in this thread overall! I've been trying to get started on learning for a long while and this really was a great starting point.
I just wanted to point out (if it has been done before, I'm sorry) that the link for the Basic "Complete Newbie" is offline. Is there a mirror or an equivalent textbook? Thank you!

fixed it. that's really weird that it broke like that!
any other questions, shoot em. good luck!

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
It's a bit frustrating to find some screenshots of an anime show on twitter with Japanese closed-captions yet not being able to find these captions anywhere. You'd think there'd be at least one person who'd set their TV recorder to also record captions.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously, you should be reading the manga instead. And don't give me excuses like "there isn't a manga" or "this is a filler episode" or something.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
does anime with Japanese subs exist? didn't think it was a thing. wheres the saucy sauce, Hypron?

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Obviously, you should be reading the manga instead. And don't give me excuses like "there isn't a manga" or "this is a filler episode" or something.

lol

You can't listen to a manga tho :'(

does anime with Japanese subs exist? didn't think it was a thing. wheres the saucy sauce, Hypron?

Yeah it definitely does. Netflix has got subs for all its anime shows (which you can also download using this Kodi plugin). This website is also a big repository of subtitles (it's a mix of subs obtained from TV broadcasts and subs transcribed by Chinese fans) but it's been offline for the past two days :/ Edit: it's back up!

I found subtitled versions of the first two Baki episodes and never found any for later episodes.

Baki 2001 or 2018? 2018 has subs for all episodes on Netflix JP.

Last edited:

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ

1539038184-capture.png

;)

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Baki is that netflix original right?
Kilrogg was talking about it.

between: terrace house, occasional sneaky anime sesh, exam practice questions + revision, reading promised neverland / my hero / hinamatsuri, playing xenoblade 2 and a podcasts/NHK news/j Vlogs - i'm well and truly back into the swing of things. also tired.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Yeah it's a Netflix original. Should be coming out in the rest of the world in around 2 months, but you could also just use a VPN to watch it now haha. It's dumb and full of asspulls but it's very entertaining (like Jojo basically). I enjoyed the show so I got all of this haha:

Nice that you got back into it! Are you preparing for the N1 with your exam practice questions?

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good. I'll give it a crack then through netflixJP.

yep, getting back up on that horse again. just need to keep it up daily so that i'm as familiar with the exam format as possible on the day. did you register for N1 or N2 this year?

also nothing wrong with a physical collection, it's the only way.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I'm going to blow off N1 this winter, I'll raise my score more next summer. I'm tired of paying to see my score go up by a few points every 6 months.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

Haha, yeah. I had passed by the skin of my teeth years ago, and have slowly raised it to a better score, but I have a friend who had aced the N1, so I keep going back. But my current level is sufficient for work and life, it's just a pride/punishment thing. I'll use the money and buy some books this winter.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, yeah. I had passed by the skin of my teeth years ago, and have slowly raised it to a better score, but I have a friend who had aced the N1, so I keep going back. But my current level is sufficient for work and life, it's just a pride/punishment thing. I'll use the money and buy some books this winter.

I feel you. I'd be doing the same!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
How have your studies been going lately?

I just noticed that I had been asked this (for some reason I only see when this thread is bumped 50% of the time) so I may as well answer. I'm also curious how I compare to my Anki brethen.

Again, I built my deck to have up to 3 cards for each word - one where the front side is in kanji, one in kana, and one with the meaning in English. I liked the quizzes in Human Japanese and wanted to be tested different ways. So I actually only have about 4,325 words in there. At this point, most of the new cards I've got left are words I've already been introduced to, and I'm seeing very few that are actually totally new to me.

So I think my vocabulary isn't too horrible now. But I made my deck using dictionary definitions instead of sentences, and so I don't have as much reading experience as I should. Even if my comprehension is fine, which I'm sure it's not, I read atrociously slow.

I grabbed a good 2,447 example sentences and I'm going to add those next. I think that's going to be my way forward for the next little while.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Sounds good. I'll give it a crack then through netflixJP.

yep, getting back up on that horse again. just need to keep it up daily so that i'm as familiar with the exam format as possible on the day. did you register for N1 or N2 this year?

Nice, good luck for the test!

I didn't register for anything this year myself... I'm already quite stressed because of uni so I felt like I shouldn't add another source of stress on top of that. I'm still studying everyday anyway. I think I'll sign up for N2 or N1 next year depending on how I feel.

also nothing wrong with a physical collection, it's the only way.

If I had my own house and a job I'd probably have a couple of shelves just for books, manga, and stuff... But I gotta stay reasonable otherwise I'll hate myself when I finally move out of my current place. I'm already running out of space as it is even though I'm buying most things digitally...

Cat

Oct 25, 2017
US
I NEED TO RANT.

I am mostly through the process of admission for an ISEP Exchange semester in the spring at Toyo University... but oh my god, the JCAT exam has been a thorn in my side.
I found out a bit late that I needed to take the JCAT in order to submit one of the last applications to Toyo, and they give a 24-72 hour waiting period before they will send you the password to take the exam. The deadline for the application is tomorrow and I still haven't received the password.

I emailed a number of points of contact between myself and Toyo late last week, but it seems to take a looooong time to receive replies from anyone in the process. I'm not sure if I should just submit this application without the score, or if that would be an issue.

If anyone has studied at Toyo, or had a similar experience with ISEP or any other abroad program, some stories of success would be welcome right now.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
I NEED TO RANT.

I am mostly through the process of admission for an ISEP Exchange semester in the spring at Toyo University... but oh my god, the JCAT exam has been a thorn in my side.
I found out a bit late that I needed to take the JCAT in order to submit one of the last applications to Toyo, and they give a 24-72 hour waiting period before they will send you the password to take the exam. The deadline for the application is tomorrow and I still haven't received the password.

I emailed a number of points of contact between myself and Toyo late last week, but it seems to take a looooong time to receive replies from anyone in the process. I'm not sure if I should just submit this application without the score, or if that would be an issue.

If anyone has studied at Toyo, or had a similar experience with ISEP or any other abroad program, some stories of success would be welcome right now.

i can't help, but somebody in this thread should be able to
Living in Japan thread
good luck!

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

I have always been under the impression that Living in Japan is mostly semi-permanent to permanent residents.

I'm not in need of help, just some good, successful Exchange stories. :)

There's nothing I can do on my end but wait for emails.

oh, my bad. a lot of the folks in there have studied abroad but don't often post in this thread. either way, chill my dude. i'm sure you'll be fine! in the mean time, just double check you've entered the email addresses correctly

Cat

Oct 25, 2017
US
It's all taken care of now. Took the JCAT, sent in the form. Just in the nick of time, because I was not looking forward to setting alarms tonight to check on my e-mail before the 10th was over in Tokyo... and then taking the JCAT drowsy.

E-mail was correct, I had received the registration confirmation when I signed up. it was just a matter of getting the password in time to submit the form. :/
I'm not sure I would have received it in time if I skipped out on e-mailing support at JCAT. They sent me a response with a password.
My understanding was that I would not be able to do an exchange if the form wasn't in by the deadline, so it was a little bit panic time. :( I've already put some non-refundable money down to our study abroad office.

I hope I didn't come off as rude! I was grateful for your reply, but I wasn't sure if Living in Japan would appreciate a frantic post from a silly student doing an exchange program. I think reddit has made me wary.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
nah you didn't come off as rude. Glad to hear it worked out in the end! Hopefully it's all smooth from here.

The living in Japan thread is full of helpful people so don't be afraid to post in there if you ever get stuck again (or here too).

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
what is the best way to burn hiragana and katakana in my long term memory? Is there an app that's good for daily use, or something else?

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what is the best way to burn hiragana and katakana in my long term memory? Is there an app that's good for daily use, or something else?

Get a pen and write it down multiple times everyday for a couple weeks. After that just write it down once or twice a week for a refresher.

If you want an app for some quick flash cards, Obenkyo is free and easy to use.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone ever seen the show rui yoshida no sakaba horoki? Oh man, it's amazing. It's just a guy that goes to izakayas to eat food and drink. He's not especially witty or a connoisseur or anything which makes it really funny. I can only find a couple episodes on YouTube and other streaming sites though. Anyone know where I can find more? There's over a 100 episodes apparently.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever seen the show rui yoshida no sakaba horoki? Oh man, it's amazing. It's just a guy that goes to izakayas to eat food and drink. He's not especially witty or a connoisseur or anything which makes it really funny. I can only find a couple episodes on YouTube and other streaming sites though. Anyone know where I can find more? There's over a 100 episodes apparently.

I see it on fc2 from time to time.