• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Me right now: FFFFFFUUUUUU-

I have an interview for a job as an English/French/Japanese translator two weeks from now at a software company, and I'm... not ready. It's somewhat technical translation, and my issues are that 1) I don't know the field very well (though it's not anything super specialized either, thankfully), 2) it's mostly French (i.e. my native language) to Japanese and English. Translating from your mother tongue to another is significantly harder than the other way around, especially when the two languages are completely different from one another. I wouldn't even consider myself truly fluent in Japanese, so my translations would more often than not be very awkward.

On the plus side, I'm pretty confident about all the other required skills, and this is the final step of the recruiting process. I shouldn't have much competition, but eeeeh, I regret not being better at Japanese, and even if they hire me, I hope some Japanese client won't look at the Japanese version of the software and go "who the hell translated this? They're clearly not Japanese, it's awful." Did I mention I'll be the only Japanese translator in the entire company? lol

Anyway, not asking for any kind of help or pity or anything like that, just felt like venting. I'm definitely happy about this, just... legitimately worried with a dash of impostor syndrome mixed in. I hope the skills evaluation part of the interview won't be too difficult.

I wish you the best my friend. Just the fact that you may be the best bet they have right now speaks a lot about what you offer (3 languages at once, one of them being very hard for english-french speakers).

You will do great, don't sweat it. First few weeks will probably be awkward but you will adapt and learn from mistakes quickly. Just stay motivated.

Congratulations in advance!

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Me right now: FFFFFFUUUUUU-

I have an interview for a job as an English/French/Japanese translator two weeks from now at a software company, and I'm... not ready. It's somewhat technical translation, and my issues are that 1) I don't know the field very well (though it's not anything super specialized either, thankfully), 2) it's mostly French (i.e. my native language) to Japanese and English. Translating from your mother tongue to another is significantly harder than the other way around, especially when the two languages are completely different from one another. I wouldn't even consider myself truly fluent in Japanese, so my translations would more often than not be very awkward.

On the plus side, I'm pretty confident about all the other required skills, and this is the final step of the recruiting process. I shouldn't have much competition, but eeeeh, I regret not being better at Japanese, and even if they hire me, I hope some Japanese client won't look at the Japanese version of the software and go "who the hell translated this? They're clearly not Japanese, it's awful." Did I mention I'll be the only Japanese translator in the entire company? lol

Anyway, not asking for any kind of help or pity or anything like that, just felt like venting. I'm definitely happy about this, just... legitimately worried with a dash of impostor syndrome mixed in. I hope the skills evaluation part of the interview won't be too difficult.

use this https://www.fisdom.org/
find a course relevant to the field you're potentially going to be working in
undertake it in the next 2 weeks in a feeble attempt to learn as much about it as you can

better than nothing right?

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are just too nice. Thank you.

It's still not decided that you'll be hired, but if you do...see it as more time to practice AND you're getting paid for it.

You're absolutely right. Being paid and held accountable for something is a pretty big motivator for improvement. Right now, I'm mostly worried about getting over that last hurdle, as I have no idea what the technical evaluation part of the interview will be like, but if I pass, it'll obviously mean that I have what it takes in their eyes, and so I'll be much more relaxed about it... We'll see!
Thank you for the words of encouragement.

Best of luck, man! Will you be translating the actual user-facing text in the software? If so, I can see why you're nervous, but I bet they will have some kind of native editor/checker to back you up. While it's definitely harder to translate from your mother language to a foreign language, that's also how you're going to learn a ton about natural expressions, since you will always be second guessing yourself and looking everything up.

I've only spoken to HR so far, and completed a fairly simple online test in English and French, so I don't know the nitty-gritty. But roughly speaking, I'll be translating the user interface (labels, buttons, prompts, etc.) and user guides/instructions. The latter I'm not sure how complicated it'll be. I doubt I'll have to translate user manuals, more like in-interface tutorials, but who knows. I'll also be involved in UX writing to an extent, i.e. making sure everything in the interface is clear and consistent, possibly even in French - the company is French btw. I don't even know what CAT software they use (if any).

I don't think they have a native editor/checker lol. Basically, they once had to translate the software into Japanese for one of their clients using an external translator/translation agency, and now they need someone to keep everything up to date, as they update the software every 2 weeks. There are no in-house Japanese translators, and they have no subsidiaries in Japan. They could still ask a contractor to review my work, I suppose... Or they'll just wait until their Japanese client complains that the translation has gone to crap. Wouldn't that be fun.

I wish you the best my friend. Just the fact that you may be the best bet they have right now speaks a lot about what you offer (3 languages at once, one of them being very hard for english-french speakers).

Thank you. Since I already passed the HR phone interview and the online evaluation, I definitely shouldn't have much competition left. What's weird about the job offer is that they specifically asked for English, French and at least one more language within a list of three (and the list includes Japanese of course), but at the same time, it doesn't seem like they're looking to hire multiple people so that those 3 additional languages would be covered. AFAIK they're online hiring one person. This makes me think that none of these additional languages are that critical to their business right now, and so maybe they won't be too demanding on that front? Also, if the third language were that important, they'd have evaluated that in the online evaluation, right? I was honestly surprised when I took the evaluation and Japanese was nowhere to be found. You'd be forgiven for thinking this is a strictly English/French position. But eh, who knows.

use this https://www.fisdom.org/
find a course relevant to the field you're potentially going to be working in
undertake it in the next 2 weeks in a feeble attempt to learn as much about it as you can

better than nothing right?

I'll check it out. Thanks a ton, man!

I won't disappoint you, senpai! I'll let you all know whether I got the job or not.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Are you feeling confident (compared to the previous times)? Either way, fingers crossed!
I actually did a bunch of practice tests in the run up and passed every single one with extra points but I always get test anxiety so as soon as 始めてください was heard my mind went white for a while. Feeling like it could go either way honestly!

Oct 26, 2017
My wife and decided to move back to Japan. We've been thinking about it for years but we're finally in a place career wise that it would make sense. Anyway, that means I'm back on the studying train! I loaded up my phone with Japanese podcasts to listen to during my commute (しゃべりすぎゲーマー is my current fav. Sad to see ひいきびいき is done) and trying to get back into reading. I have a Murakami short story collection that I never finished (カンガルー日和) that I picked back up.

Let's 頑張りましょうね!

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Kilrogg

Are you already working as a translator or would this be a change of career at the same time? Anyway, good luck/bon courage/頑張って!

Hopefully the interview goes well. I just had one yesterday in Sydney myself lol. It didn't go that well (it was for a trading firm and I dunno much at all about trading, I don't even know how I made it this far tbh lol) but oh well, I still got a free trip to Aussie. Hopefully you ace your one.

Like other people have said it'd be a great opportunity from a language learning perspective as well.

And yeah I also recommend Fisdom, it's a pretty cool website.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
えええシドニーにきった?まだいる?

はい!
でも、今 国際空港に待っている。便は午後6時だ。

I only learnt I would have to come this Tuesday... I flew in on Thursday, spent 12 hours in the company's office on Friday, and only had a bit of time to look around (harbour bridge, Opera house, a couple of malls) this morning. Didn't really have the opportunity to plan this properly lol

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
lol damn i wasn't doing anything yesterday, we could have gone to get ramen or something

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Ah damn that would have been cool (especially after that interview lol). If I ever come back for another interview or something I'll let you know 👍

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kilrogg

Are you already working as a translator or would this be a change of career at the same time? Anyway, good luck/bon courage/頑張って!

Hopefully the interview goes well. I just had one yesterday in Sydney myself lol. It didn't go that well (it was for a trading firm and I dunno much at all about trading, I don't even know how I made it this far tbh lol) but oh well, I still got a free trip to Aussie. Hopefully you ace your one.

Like other people have said it'd be a great opportunity from a language learning perspective as well.

And yeah I also recommend Fisdom, it's a pretty cool website.

Merci ! Never been a translator in an official capacity. I've dabbled in translation at school and at work, as I always seemed to have a knack for it, but that's about it. Also, most of it was from/to English and French. I really don't see myself as a super capable "from-Japanese" translator; my knowledge of the language is lackluster in too many ways. And I certainly am not good enough (yet, anyway) to be a competent "to-Japanese" translator, which is even harder. So it's definitely a change of career and an opportunity to learn and grow in that regard.

I've checked out Fisdom by the way, but unless I'm blind I don't see a way to actually search courses, and there don't seem to be many courses available anyway. Certainly none that fit the field I'm getting into. Oh well.

Too bad about your interview, but be proud you made it that far in the first place. I can empathize. To an extent, "I don't even know how I made it this far" describes my current feelings pretty well. I know the answer obviously (i.e. I'm competent enough at the skills they require outside of Japanese), but I'm baffled that they still haven't evaluated me on what seems to be the most crucial skill and main differentiator, which is, you know, Japanese lol. I'm worried that they don't realize that, just because I did well on the English/French test doesn't automatically mean I'll be nearly as good when it comes to Japanese. Not to mention I don't know the field well. I truly hope I haven't set their expectations too high with my performance on the first test. The HR lady on the phone told me I did very well on that test and there shouldn't be anything to worry about when it comes the on-site test, but I still have my doubts. Truth be told, I don't know if the on-site test will even feature Japanese, and if so, how hard it'll be. And I don't know how many applicants made it this far.

Anyway, I'll stop hijacking the thread now and just do my best to prepare for the interview during this whole week. Haven't had one in literally 6 years, so it should be 'fun'.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got through Katakana two days ago, I pretty safely write down all hiragana and katakana now and can recognize them. That went down a lot faster than I expected :)

Now I'm waiting for my A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar and Genki 1 book, I've accidently ordered Genki 2, but realized it after it got shipped :|
I think I'll take a look at Tae Kim's guide tomorrow and maybe do some vocabs, but I haven't found a method I like.
Tried the Genki Vocab app, but it doens't feel right.
Any other app recommendations? I'd like to be able to learn this with my iPad.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

For grammar: Bunpro.jp alongside Tae Kim.

Honesty, Bunpro has been much more helpful than Tae for me. Tae just "lists" things, and I need much more context than that. Bunpro provides several links per topic, and I read them all. The variance in each site helps to provide more insight to the mechanics, meanings, etc.

In parallel> I have created my own conjugation spreadsheets, ru vs u verbs, adjectives, etc to consolidate everything in one single place.

For Kanji: WaniKani. Without it I would have left this dream behind. It REALLY works, and its like a game for me.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Finally got through Katakana two days ago, I pretty safely write down all hiragana and katakana now and can recognize them. That went down a lot faster than I expected :)

Now I'm waiting for my A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar and Genki 1 book, I've accidently ordered Genki 2, but realized it after it got shipped :|
I think I'll take a look at Tae Kim's guide tomorrow and maybe do some vocabs, but I haven't found a method I like.
Tried the Genki Vocab app, but it doens't feel right.
You can use bunpro with the genki path. So you study a chapter (for example) and later review it, there's extra readings for all the grammar points as well.

For vocab you can use an anki/kitsun deck from genki to start with. There's also the 10k vocab deck if you want a goal. Flofo is site where you can add books and learn the vocab from it. I haven't used it yet.

For kanji I would recommend trying Wanikani at least for the free levels and see if it helps you. They say you should start adding grammar after getting to level 10, but you should first do some grammar. Cause then you're able to practice your kanji knowledge much better in context. There's also a community attached to wanikani where they ask questions, do grammar studies and bookclubs, so you'll get use out of the place even if you won't take a subscription down the road.

Install a Japanese keyboard so you can use it to type out hiragana, katakana and kanji. If you need to look up words, Jisho is a good place to start. I recommend typing with hiragana.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Finally passed the N1. I don't like to brag but I'm super proud of this one at least. Would have never dreamed I'd be at this level five years ago.

Hope everyone else who took the test got the result they wanted! Whether it was your first time or your fifth. If a dumbass like me can do it anyone can that's for sure.

Oct 26, 2017
Finally passed the N1. I don't like to brag but I'm super proud of this one at least. Would have never dreamed I'd be at this level five years ago.

Hope everyone else who took the test got the result they wanted! Whether it was your first time or your fifth. If a dumbass like me can do it anyone can that's for sure.
Congrats!!!

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Awesome job! Congratulations.

Oct 25, 2017
For grammar: Bunpro.jp alongside Tae Kim.

Honesty, Bunpro has been much more helpful than Tae for me. Tae just "lists" things, and I need much more context than that. Bunpro provides several links per topic, and I read them all. The variance in each site helps to provide more insight to the mechanics, meanings, etc.

In parallel> I have created my own conjugation spreadsheets, ru vs u verbs, adjectives, etc to consolidate everything in one single place.

For Kanji: WaniKani. Without it I would have left this dream behind. It REALLY works, and its like a game for me.
You can use bunpro with the genki path. So you study a chapter (for example) and later review it, there's extra readings for all the grammar points as well.

For vocab you can use an anki/kitsun deck from genki to start with. There's also the 10k vocab deck if you want a goal. Flofo is site where you can add books and learn the vocab from it. I haven't used it yet.

For kanji I would recommend trying Wanikani at least for the free levels and see if it helps you. They say you should start adding grammar after getting to level 10, but you should first do some grammar. Cause then you're able to practice your kanji knowledge much better in context. There's also a community attached to wanikani where they ask questions, do grammar studies and bookclubs, so you'll get use out of the place even if you won't take a subscription down the road.

Install a Japanese keyboard so you can use it to type out hiragana, katakana and kanji. If you need to look up words, Jisho is a good place to start. I recommend typing with hiragana.
Thanks for your advice.
I think I'll do the Kanji learning with Wanikani, I heard so many good things about it.
Jason Schreier coincidentally tweeted yesterday about it.
$9 a month isn't too bad.

Congrats :)

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

Congratulations!

What a fantastic achievement. I will use you as a role model to motivate myself even when I feel down or burned. Im trying to connect all of my learning in a very structured way, so that it becomes "organic" and doesnt disrupt the rest of my day to day, but its rough sometimes.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
おめでとうございます!

I need to stop being a bum and actually try out the JLPT. Do people actually bother starting from N5 and going up one by one? I remember hearing people say to skip one or the other.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
おめでとうございます!

I need to stop being a bum and actually try out the JLPT. Do people actually bother starting from N5 and going up one by one? I remember hearing people say to skip one or the other.

i feel like n5 and n4 are just confidence boosters. n3 is a good starting place for anyone who really needs it as a proper goal to knuckle down for.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Finally passed N1, took me 3 tries!

Weird thing is I scored well for Reading/Listening. Vocab/Gramm was only 34/60, yet the score sheet gives me A for grammar, A for vocab. A is detailed as よくできた higher then 67%. How does that work?? I also thought I would score the highest in vocab/grammar part, so still feel frustrated I can't look into the answers again.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Looking forward to taking the N4 in December, less looking forward to reliving all the flashbacks to exam season at school...

Got my passport photos printed yesterday, application form printed. Now just time to send + pay up. Let's do this!

Also hit a nice milestone yesterday: I hit level 31 of 60 on WaniKani, and have now "guru'd" 1,010 kanji which means I'm officially half way to learning all the jouyou kanji! Most of it has been over the past 12 months, even though I registered 3 years ago I finally found my mojo and am intent on keeping up my momentum.

Here's some stats with a bunch of numbers. Boy howdy have I done a lot of reviews

DByabpr.png

Last edited:

drowsy

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to those who passed!

I've been studying for about ten months now, but that's with a months-long break in the spring due to life (and partially due to burnout; figuring out how to make the learning process enjoyable took its sweet time), but I've been at it daily for a couple of months now and am targeting N3 in December 2020. I thought about trying for N4 this year but ultimately I would only be doing it to test where I am, and there's other ways of accomplishing that. Who knows where I'll actually be a year from now when it's time to sign up for the test, but N3 feels like a goal that's both realistic and enough of a challenge that I'll actually have to put in some hard work.

As for how I'm learning, lurking in this thread actually got me to finally give Wanikani a shot, and it's been working really well for me. I tried Anki and Memrise and a bunch of different ways of tackling the kanji, but nothing really took until I gave Wanikani a shot. Gamification is a dirty word, but darn if it doesn't work. Wanikani combined with traditional learning (I started off by learning from online resources and am now finally going through the Genki books, which should take me till the end of the year) and a little bit of Youtube (Japanese Ammo is the best) and reading (right now, the Ask Graded Readers) makes for fun and varied learning. Once I firm up my basics I'll probably get a tutor, if only to have someone to talk to on a regular basis.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This title of a song is confusing me. OK!生きまくっちゃえ. It's translated as OK! Live to the Fullest. So if we make it formal then it's 生きまくってしまう. A casual しか seems to be highly unlikely. I don't know what the え is supposed to mean or what kind of grammar is being conveyed with it. Any ideas?

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the the imperative form of しまう, similar to やる --> やれ.

ってしまえ is very common. Google it for some good usage examples.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
A classic example of blanking out to a simple form when grouped with other forms...

That or it's just late and I should sleep now.

Thank you for solving what turned out to be a pretty simple mystery.

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know that まくる grammar point. 歌いまくる、飲みまくる、etc. Or, maybe I forgot... But now I know it so thanks for sharing! It seems like a handy one.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I really need tools with which I can study the language in short bursts/via audio, as I have a baby now which makes sitting down with a textbook extremely difficult. Any recommendations? I have an a highly rudimentary familiarity with the language as is (hiragana/katakana, a few kanji, *some* simple grammar), but I want to continue growing my knowledge when I can.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
I really need tools with which I can study the language in short bursts/via audio, as I have a baby now which makes sitting down with a textbook extremely difficult. Any recommendations? I have an a highly rudimentary familiarity with the language as is (hiragana/katakana, a few kanji, *some* simple grammar), but I want to continue growing my knowledge when I can.

Given your skill level I don't think you will get any actual learning done through just audio. Sounds like you just don't know enough at this stage.

Listen to Japanese podcasts - you don't need to understand them but it will help to get familiar.
You really need to sit down with a textbook or structured, text based tools of some kind to build your foundations. Even if it's just 30min a day. So combo the listening with at least 30min a day of actual study.

Then when you know more you can step into the plethora of Japanese grammar videos on YT.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, about that French/English/Japanese translator job offer I told y'all about the other day... I didn't get it :(.

To give you some context: everything about the final interview was fairly standard, and I daresay I did pretty well overall, but the first part... The first part was a 1-hour test where I had to either review in, or translate from/to English or French, while the last exercise was a French-3rd language (i.e. Japanese in my case) translation. Wanna know the fun part? The entire thing was pen-and-paper only, with no dictionary allowed. Imagine that. Unsurprisingly, my translation was complete dogcrap. Like, I was literally ashamed of it.

I won't lie: I'm extremely bummed out right now. I know I did well when it comes to 'presentation' and being personable - the woman on the phone literally told me "don't change a thing" when it came to that -, but they said I didn't have enough experience as a translator, and that I would have required too much training, which they can't afford to do right now. The whole thing pretty much made them realize that Japanese is really hard to get right when you're translating into it. As it turns out, weirdly enough, while their requirements for the 3rd language were either Spanish, Dutch or Japanese, all candidates were either Japanese or Spanish speakers (as a 3rd language I assume). I can only surmise that the other Japanese speakers did roughly as poorly as I did on the translation exercise. They decided to hire a Spanish translator instead because it's more important to them right now, and because it's way less tricky.

I definitely buy their explanation, but I just wanted to yell "then why do you pit translators for different languages against one another in the first place? Why do you have people translate things without a computer and dictionary when a translator NEVER works without one or the other? What amateur designed that test AAAAH", but instead, I handled it politely like a good boi and pointed out that making people translate things into Japanese with a pen and paper and no dictionary might put them at an unfair disadvantage compared to Spanish translators. French > Spanish is a complete cakewalk compared to French > Japanese (or, really, "any language that isn't Korean" > Japanese). Ugh.

Anyway, that sucks. The company seems awesome, the job interesting and challenging, and the salary was unusually high for a translation job - and certainly so much higher than my shitty job I've been doing for the last 6 years. This would have pretty much changed my life. Now excuse me while I go listen to Linkin Park in fetal position.

(still, thank you everyone for your words of encouragement; don't do like I did and work on your Japanese if you want to get a translation job lol)

Last edited:

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I'm sorry to hear that. That does sound like an awful way to evaluate your ability, even more so comparing the results between such different languages.

I'm pretty sure Linkin Park is not Japanese, so you should listen to something else to get some more practice in ;)

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I know it's difficult at the heat of moment to say what you think. Mentioning translating always involves using a dictionary would have been good to do. Hell...translators use special programs for repeated words and other QOL improvements. I don't know how big the company is or whether they make use of such programs. You did well regardless. At least you tried. And that's one company. Maybe other companies have fairer tests.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Sounds kinda similar to a job interview i did a few years ago. Don't worry dude, something even better will come along for sure

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
dont worry. if they fucked up their translation test they'd probably fuck up their actual work environment as well, so whatever

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, thank you everyone for your support <3.

I'm sorry to hear that. That does sound like an awful way to evaluate your ability, even more so comparing the results between such different languages.

I'm pretty sure Linkin Park is not Japanese, so you should listen to something else to get some more practice in ;)

I don't even like LP :p.

I know it's difficult at the heat of moment to say what you think. Mentioning translating always involves using a dictionary would have been good to do. Hell...translators use special programs for repeated words and other QOL improvements. I don't know how big the company is or whether they make use of such programs. You did well regardless. At least you tried. And that's one company. Maybe other companies have fairer tests.

Thank you. The company is pretty big (we're talking 10s of millions of euros in yearly revenue). They don't use any of the standard CAT software (which I think is what you're talking about) like Trados; instead, they developed their own internal tools, tailor-made for their specific needs. Funnily enough, one dude I talked to outside of the service was like "yeah, Trados is too expensive" or something along those lines lol. I generally had the impression that, while they definitely value their employees and everything, they're not ready to invest into the translation team. It's literally just two people, including myself if I got the position, even though their software solutions are huge and translated into 17 languages. Definitely got that 'third wheel' vibe, even though the pay is shockingly high for a translation job. The head of the department told me that 2 people isn't enough and they're trying to push for a 3rd hire next year, so yeah. It's nuts.

As for mentioning the need for a dictionary: don't worry, I just typed an extensive review of the job interview process on Glassdoor and I'm letting them know I did the second it gets validated lol. 0 fucks given lol (and also, I think they need the constructive criticism).

Sounds kinda similar to a job interview i did a few years ago. Don't worry dude, something even better will come along for sure

Are you French too?

dont worry. if they fucked up their translation test they'd probably fuck up their actual work environment as well, so whatever

It's possible, sure, but they genuinely seem like a good company to work at - well, aside from the whole 'skeleton crew' thing. They've got an unusually high rating Glassdoor - 4.5+/5 over tens of reviews -, and have won multiple awards on that front.

I think they just didn't think the evaluation process through enough, for whatever reason.

What in the world?! That's insane.

Welcome to France, I guess. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it's this weird infatuation for traditional academic teaching we have over here, where your pen and your brain are supposed to be your only weapons, otherwise you suck. It doesn't make a lick a sense, but that's how we roll. So stupid. Judging by your reaction, I can only assume that countries like the US and the UK are much more pragmatic and realistic about it. Which is the correct way to go about it, of course.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
せっかくだから皆でアーケードでメシでも食おう I'm not really getting this. Primarily the demo. Are they emphasizing something?

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
せっかくだから皆でアーケードでメシでも食おう I'm not really getting this. Primarily the demo. Are they emphasizing something?

The でも is just a way to soften the suggestion. It's kinda like saying "let's go have lunch or something". No real meaning, just hinting at the fact that it could be メシ or something else. Keeping yourself open to other ideas, though lunch is the thing you would do if it were up to you obviously. It's still a suggestion, not a "let's do whatever" kind of thing.

The whole sentence could be translated to something like "how about we all eat together at the arcades?" せっかくだから is kinda hard to translate naturally in every single instance, but the meaning of it is something like "it's a good opportunity to..." or "we might as well...", implying that the situation is nice and/or rare so you should not let it go to waste.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
The でも is just a way to soften the suggestion. It's kinda like saying "let's go have lunch or something". No real meaning, just hinting at the fact that it could be メシ or something else. Keeping yourself open to other ideas, though lunch is the thing you would do if it were up to you obviously. It's still a suggestion, not a "let's do whatever" kind of thing.

The whole sentence could be translated to something like "how about we all eat together at the arcades?" せっかくだから is kinda hard to translate naturally in every single instance, but the meaning of it is something like "it's a good opportunity to..." or "we might as well...", implying that the situation is nice and/or rare so you should not let it go to waste.

I could post the page, but I don't know how era feels about that.