• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 3 days, 5 hours, 50 minutes, 56 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Learning Japanese • 日本語の勉強 |これはOTです| ゆっくりしていいぞ!

Kilrogg

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The idea of reading something like Berserk casually, on the train, is quite funny to me.
By casually, I don't mean "no big deal" , just "I can't be bothered to look up words" :p. Although, whenever I come upon a sex scene I have to hold the book half-closed out of shame haha.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
By casually, I don't mean "no big deal" , just "I can't be bothered to look up words" :p. Although, whenever I come upon a sex scene I have to hold the book half-closed out of shame haha.
Yeah, it's not the kind of manga I would read when there are people around. Though I don't read much when someone's around in general.

iCham

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having much more ease reading and recognizing kanji than remembering them then writing them, am I weird or is that pretty common ?

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having much more ease reading and recognizing kanji than remembering them then writing them, am I weird or is that pretty common ?
Common enough to have a series of books called "Remembering the Kanji" =P
There's a reason Heising recommends practicing trough "keyword -> mnemonic -> Kanji". Not ideal for vocabulary acquisition and learning the language in general, but pretty good for remembering how to writing them ;)

品川駅

Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
Hey,

At work I have around 8 hours daily to listen to anything using my headphones.

What would be the best for me to listen to learn new Japanese phrases and grammar? I have a lot of time daily.

Or what would be the best in general for me to improve my Japanese? Or expand my vocabulary etc

Matto

Oct 27, 2017
Hey,

What would be the best for me to listen to learn new Japanese phrases and grammar? I have a lot of time daily.

Or what would be the best in general for me to improve my Japanese? Or expand my vocabulary etc
I recently stumbled across IGN Japan’s podcast しゃべりすぎGAMER. It’s a completely Japanese podcast that discusses a gaming topic each week for about an hour or so. It’s really good for listening practice.

febLey

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hey,

I recently stumbled across IGN Japan’s podcast しゃべりすぎGAMER. It’s a completely Japanese podcast that discusses a gaming topic each week for about an hour or so. It’s really good for listening practice.
I'm listening to this aswell, I don't understand very much, but I think it helps to get a feeling for the language.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Hey guys, it's been some time since I posted here.
Currently studying for N2.
So recently I started a project where I tried to translate the demo of a japanese game.
By doing this I learnt a japanese idiom which I found pretty cool
Maybe most of you will already know it but I wanted to share this here too.

So the sentence was:

あら、珍しい。あなたが私の部屋に来るなて。
雨でも降るんじゃないのかしら?
Now, I'm no native english speaker so I wasn't sure what was the equivalent in english but I ultimately used the
"hell has frozen over" idiom.
I've seen others use the "when pigs fly" but I'm not sure what's best.

Cheers..

Birdseye

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I took JLPT N3 knowing that I was not ready (I own 4-5 N3 books and I'd been through 75% of the first one).

Vocabulary and kanji were so easy I thought they gave us an N4 test. Grammar was fair enough, not too hard not too easy, but reading killed me. That's when my lack of vocabulary proved a big handicap. I didn't have enough time so I answered randomly at the end.

Listening was quite hard too, and the recording was defective so they had to replay several tracks over and over again. I couldn't wait to be done with this test but we had to stay longer because of that.

Anyway, no time to waste, I'm already back to my N3 books in anticipation for next year's test.

Kikirin

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, all! Not sure if this is a good place to ask since it's barely related to the language learning aspect, but do you all have any recommendations for EN->JP travel/survival phrases books or (Android) apps? I have some friends who are planning on traveling there next year despite a total lack of language knowledge.

febLey

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Is there any way to distinguish a ru-verb and an u-verb with a ru ending?
This is driving me crazy.
I found out that there seems to be some rule, but of course it has its exceptions:
All ru-verbs (ichidan) are ending with either an eru or iru sound.
Keep in mind that there are u-verbs (godan) which have eru and iru ending sound.
But at least it narrows down the options. So if a verb isn't ending with an eru or iru sound, you can be sure that it isn't a ichidan verb.

Further here's an interesting video on that topic: