• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
For some reason, you can't use a foreign credit card to add credit to your wallet through the Japanese Switch eshop. If you don't have a prepaid card from Japan, your only other option is to:

1. Link your 3DS eShop account to your Switch eShop account. Both need to have their region set to Japan, and all details (DOB etc) must match.
2. Add money to your 3DS eShop account - because this eShop does accept foreign credit cards.
3. Head to the Switch eShop and buy the game you're after.

I did this over the weekend for Moon. It just takes some time to get everything up to date and linked, but once it's done, you're set from then on out.
Sweet. I'll do that.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason, you can't use a foreign credit card to add credit to your wallet through the Japanese Switch eshop. If you don't have a prepaid card from Japan, your only other option is to:

1. Link your 3DS eShop account to your Switch eShop account. Both need to have their region set to Japan, and all details (DOB etc) must match.
2. Add money to your 3DS eShop account - because this eShop does accept foreign credit cards.
3. Head to the Switch eShop and buy the game you're after.

I did this over the weekend for Moon. It just takes some time to get everything up to date and linked, but once it's done, you're set from then on out.
Strange, I never have no problem using my foreign credit card on my Japanese Switch eshop account, and have bought loads.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Whats a good way to ask a new slightly younger friend, with whom Ive hung out a few times already, "what should I bring on saturday?"

Mainly how should I say "should"?

I think you can use either of these.

verb stem + ましょうか = shall I?

土曜日に何か持って行きましょうか?which you can make more casual using volitional form of 持って行く which is 持って行こう
土曜日に何か持って行こうか?

You can also use this which I'm sure you already know the meaning of.
This is a fair bit more formal though.

土曜日に何か持って行く物はありますか?

I'm not too hot on this, never used it this way.

verb conditional form ば + いい = should/be good if

土曜日に何を持って行けばいいですか?
literally "What would be good for me to bring on Saturday?"

Hope that helps.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why?! What happened?

He's been banned a couple of times before, but I can't exactly remember when exactly. But this last one happened in the anti-Asian racism thread, as L Thammy pointed out. Honestly, the conversation is way too long, he has many posts and arguments in that thread, and I haven't followed any of it. But he's received a ton of backlash, so yeah. I'll have to have a closer look later. But we probably shouldn't talk about this in this thread; it's kind of off-topic, he's permabanned anyway, and I'm not even sure it's allowed in the ToS to discuss bans like this.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Incoming ban on Resilient in 3...2...1...

But yeah just thought to mention it early so we can all get past it. It would no doubt be brought up again in a few weeks when we started wondering where he was, considering he'd been pretty prolific in the Japanese learning threads - spanning at least a decade!

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the free WaniKani levels two days ago and subbed for a year now (they gave me a 20% discount code, because I asked nicely). I'm planning to get a lifetime membership, when it goes on sale around Christmas again.
It works damn well for me and it gives me "a great sense of pride and accomplishment" when I can slowly recognize more and more characters in a game, on the internet or wherever.

I'm also thinking about subscribing to Bunbpro. I've got a hard time with the GENKI workbook alone, so i haven't come really far there.

BTW: I just noticed that I'm grinding for two months already. Started to learn hiragana out of boredom on 14th August.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure there's any way to translate that kind of joke in a way that works and sounds natural to be honest lol.

gachapin , 何か提案ある?

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Any tips for practicing Grammar? I'm fine with literally everything else but Grammar is doing my head in. Doing the N4 in a month (signed up for free marks from my Uni JP Course basically) and I did a practice exam, Grammar is 100% my weak point.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for practicing Grammar? I'm fine with literally everything else but Grammar is doing my head in. Doing the N4 in a month (signed up for free marks from my Uni JP Course basically) and I did a practice exam, Grammar is 100% my weak point.

Outside of just straight up reading about grammar points, it's kinda hard to really approach studying grammar. But something I like to do (being someone who retains information well through writing) is just construct sentences using grammar that's new to me and write them down.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Not sure there's any way to translate that kind of joke in a way that works and sounds natural to be honest lol.

gachapin , 何か提案ある?
何も思い浮かばないや
unchi_character.png
ログさん

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Finished the free WaniKani levels two days ago and subbed for a year now (they gave me a 20% discount code, because I asked nicely). I'm planning to get a lifetime membership, when it goes on sale around Christmas again.
It works damn well for me and it gives me "a great sense of pride and accomplishment" when I can slowly recognize more and more characters in a game, on the internet or wherever.

I'm also thinking about subscribing to Bunbpro. I've got a hard time with the GENKI workbook alone, so i haven't come really far there.

BTW: I just noticed that I'm grinding for two months already. Started to learn hiragana out of boredom on 14th August.

Glad it's working for you, it's been three months since I'm back in the game. Progress is still slow, especially on grammar for me. But I'm glad I'm at least able to keep up with my reviews every day.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

If you don't mind spending money check out Bunpro. I've been using it lately and have found it to be pretty great.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I right for translating this sentence like this?

私は誕生日の一夜から…もうずっと...
Since my birthday's night... all the time...

This moo zutto seems like an expression but I can't exactly grasp it's meaning. Google translate gave me "all the time" and it made sense. But I don't really know.

Last edited:

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
balgajo : I'd need a bit more context to understand what they're talking about exactly, but it's more like "Ever since the night of my birthday..." with an implied "I've been (doing) <whatever>" after it.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I right for translating this sentence like this?

私は誕生日の一夜から…もうずっと...
Since my birthday's night... all the time...

This moo zutto seems like an expression but I can't exactly grasp it's meaning. Google translate gave me "all the time" and it made sense. But I don't really know.

Feels like there's some omission of information in this sentence, but the two pieces of information I'm getting from this are:

1) The person's birthday (perhaps a party, or maybe not) will last overnight (一夜)

2) ずっと sounds here like the person is going to be up all night because (~から) something will be lasting through the night

もう can sometimes have a somewhat idiomatic meaning like "jeez" or "tsk" when used at the start of a sentence, and the ellipses help contribute a feeling of exasperation. So if I'm taking my best crack at making that sound natural in English:

私は誕生日の一夜から…もうずっと...
Tonight's my birthday... jeez, I'm gonna be up all night...

Edit: Just consulted with a Japanese person and I'm dumb and wrong and the above explanations already solved this problem

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Someone here using the iOS app of Anki?

I've downloaded a GENKI deck and imported it via the desktop app.
It seems to use javascript for IME input and it should show furigana for Kanji.
All of this works on the desktop app, while on the iPad I need to input kana manually and it doesn't show furigana.
That makes it really hard to study using the iPad and it's really frustrating because the app is so expensive.

Is this a general problem or could it just be a problem with the deck?

Here's the deck: https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapan...mplete_genki_deck_for_anki_with_internal_ime/

EDIT: Okay, I'm doing some debugging right now. Seems to be that the deck is whack.

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Zefah got perma'd 😮
That post history tho...
Dang. I used to think he was pretty cool. Talked a few times over the years. With him and expert permabanned (him for "excusing child molestation." Big surprise he's an awful person), Gachapin is our only leftover pro, huh.

What happened to the gal from the old site who said you're not fluent unless you can haggle at a car dealership in Japanese? haha She was cool.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aizō : yeah, talked with Zefah too on occasion, so this kinda hurts. It's a shame he burst up in flames like that, but what can you do. Definitely came as more of a surprise than imanexpert, who was always a ticking time bomb. No idea who's that girl from the old place though, doesn't ring a bell.

Gachapin isn't a pro, he's actually Japanese :p. We still have a couple high-level speakers, though they're less active. KtSlime is completely fluent IIRC, for instance.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Dang. I used to think he was pretty cool. Talked a few times over the years. With him and expert permabanned (him for "excusing child molestation." Big surprise he's an awful person), Gachapin is our only leftover pro, huh.

What happened to the gal from the old site who said you're not fluent unless you can haggle at a car dealership in Japanese? haha She was cool.

WTF @ expert. Did not know that's how he went out. That's fucked up.

Yeah, I don't know who that girl was, but she sounds funny haha.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I have finished reading 国境の南、太陽の西, which makes it the first book I have read in Japanese. Yay! It took me about a month (I was reading something else at the same time at the beginning), and it significantly sped up as I went along, in part because I felt overall more comfortable and in part because I learned many of the vocab Murakami uses frequently. Besides the language aspect, I enjoyed the book itself quite a lot. I was reading a pretty well written review on GoodReads and I was a bit surprised in reading some of the quotes chosen, as they were exactly how I remembered them.

I absolutely need a pause now, I'll have to read some short, non-Japanese book to recharge.

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Congrats! That's a good feeling for sure. That ramping speed effect will be a thing for pretty much every new novel (or at least every new author) but it feels good every time once you "hit your stride."

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
neogaf時代に綺麗な日本語の文章を書く三島由紀夫好きのフランスの文学青年がいたよ。Kilroggのサブアカかな?

じゃない。三島由紀夫は読んだことないし、別に興味ない。というか俺の日本語の文章はそもそも綺麗じゃないからありえないんだw。
それにしても見た覚えがないね、そういう人。誰だったかな。

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
じゃない。三島由紀夫は読んだことないし、別に興味ない。というか俺の日本語の文章はそもそも綺麗じゃないからありえないんだw。
それにしても見た覚えがないね、そういう人。誰だったかな。
考えてみればあの時Kiloggはうんちくんだったし綺麗な文章を書くわけはないか。