• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
HOLY GUACAMOLE.

Complex said:
LeBron James has been excitedly posting on social media about his beloved "Taco Tuesday," but now he might be looking to make bank off the phrase. In a trademark application discovered by lawyer Josh Gerben, James' company, LBJ Trademarks LLC, has filed to trademark "Taco Tuesday" for posts on social media and a podcast of the same name.

The trademark application states that James is seeking rights to the phrase for "advertising and marketing services provided by means of indirect methods of marketing, communications, namely, social media, search engine marketing, inquiry marketing, mobile marketing, blogging and other forms of passive, shareable or viral communications channels."

James first started to post about Taco Tuesday on his Instagram this summer, although he didn't exactly invent the phrase. The series has featured gems like an Anthony Davis appearance and a sneak peek at the Space Jam 2 jerseys.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
My man about to open up a chain of taco joints!

Good idea.

The trademark application states that James is seeking rights to the phrase for "advertising and marketing services provided by means of indirect methods of marketing, communications, namely, social media, search engine marketing, inquiry marketing, mobile marketing, blogging and other forms of passive, shareable or viral communications channels."

Bad idea.

Filing a TM application is dirt cheap, but I doubt it will register due to descriptiveness. He can still use it, he just can't prevent others from using it too. A better idea is LBJ Taco Tuesday or something like that.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never going to be granted. Pretty much every Mexican/Latin restaurant or bar across the county uses the phrase.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As ridiculous as his pressure on the Cavs. to make Tristan Thompson a highly paid forward.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Stupid. Taco Tuesday has been a thing long before LeBron tried to make it his own.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Im barely not offended by the whole thing (I lived in Mexico for about 6 years, for context) but man, hes walking a reeeal thin line on that one

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I think we can all unite against the monopolization of Taco Tuesday by Lebron. Not today, my friend. Not today.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'mma smack his hair line back to what is was 5 years ago. How can they even consider letting him trademark something that others have used for years

ecnal

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how the Lakers, LeBron and Jack in the Box haven't linked up yet to resurrect the greatest game promo of all time.

WE WANT TACOS 🌮 🌮

rpg_fan

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it already trademarked?

-edit-
Yep, already trademarked by Taco John's who defend it rigorously.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
So? I guess I just wonder why this stuff gets attention when the athletes and artists do it.

Pat Riley did the same thing for "3 peat" back in the day, and IIRC the Bulls and everyone has to pay him when they use that term. I don't see anyone making a big deal about that. But let a player make a similar move and its all pearls clutched.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So? I guess I just wonder why this stuff gets attention when the athletes and artists do it.

Pat Riley did the same thing for "3 peat" back in the day, and IIRC the Bulls and everyone has to pay him when they use that term. I don't see anyone making a big deal about that. But let a player make a similar move and its all pearls clutched.
Taco Tuesday is a much more common phrase than 3 peat.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good idea.

Bad idea.

Filing a TM application is dirt cheap, but I doubt it will register due to descriptiveness. He can still use it, he just can't prevent others from using it too. A better idea is LBJ Taco Tuesday or something like that.
How is Taco Tuesday descriptive of those services? Your "good idea" is the bad idea - that's the descriptive one. Am I missing something?

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017
Get the fuck outta here Lebron with this Nonsense.
full