• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slowdive

Oct 25, 2017
It seems this was known before but not to most people.

View: https://twitter.com/pannchoa/status/1568064195366891520?s=46&t=Uob-RA1nkJFPaPFTOCzmDg

Lee Jung-jae charged with assault"
Last November in Seoul Cheongdam dong, at a bar while drinking with 36 year-old Park and 3 other people, Lee Jung-jae ssi was charged with assaulting 30 year-old Pyo with Park during an argument at the party.

Actor Lee Jung-jae ssi charged with assault"
The Busan Haeundae Police Station charged Lee Jung-jae for injuring a 22-year-old woman in her car in front of a nightclub B, Haeundae-gu, Busan around 3 am on September 26 and after dragging her and kicking her with his foot, injuring her for two weeks. Lee Jung-jae (25) was charged without detention on the 14th.

www.pannchoa.com

[instiz] LEE JUNGJAE DID DUI TWICE AND ASSAULTED SOMEONE TWICE

We translate Pann articles about Korean news, music, drama and lifestyle

And from the comments

View: https://twitter.com/yoongisgunner/status/1568070199995207680?s=46&t=Uob-RA1nkJFPaPFTOCzmDg

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Sucks this "happens" to come out and resurface when an Asian man is cast in Star Wars, just a big ol coinkydink I'm sure. They're terrible facts though and it's kind of wild Disney presumably did some background checks him and said "yeah this'll go over fine." Like what a shitty, shitty comment about his dead friend, and the blatant homophobia and assault. Yeesh.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
yea, lead role in a star wars series
👀

Hard to tell from OP when the timeline of all this was. Obviously, inexcusable regardless of timeline, but is this stuff that was dug up from long ago? Or something that happened after his fame?

edit: Like, I see the dates in the quotes in OP but are those fucking this year?!

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
👀

Hard to tell from OP when the timeline of all this was. Obviously, inexcusable regardless of timeline, but is this stuff that was dug up from long ago? Or something that happened after his fame?
the DUI's i heard about, theyre on his wiki, 1999 and 2002

i hadent heard about the assaults', but they seem to be much more recent

edit: actually, its hard to say how recent, one of those says "last november", but its quoting an article

one of the assaults reports says he was 25, when he's 49 now

so i dont fuckin know

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
the DUI's i heard about, theyre on his wiki, 1999 and 2002

i hadent heard about the assaults', but they seem to be much more recent
The assaults are what I'm curious about. There is no date, I mean there is a date but no year (unless I'm skimming past it?) in the article. The article itself, if you could call it that, seems weird. Is this a common source? It even transcribes some forum messages at the end... Unless those are translations of comments on the original Korean post that they for some reason bothered to transcribe into the eng post?

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
The assaults are what I'm curious about. There is no date, I mean there is a date but no year (unless I'm skimming past it?) in the article. The article itself, if you could call it that, seems weird. Is this a common source? It even transcribes some forum messages at the end... Unless those are translations of comments on the original Korean post that they for some reason bothered to transcribe into the eng post?
it might be around the same time as his DUI's, one of them mention him being 25 years old

but i cant tell for sure

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
it might be around the same time as his DUI's, one of them mention him being 25 years old

but i cant tell for sure
This just seems very , idk, reactionary to a blog post. If true, fuck this dude, but this seems like just some blog? Slowdive do you know what this site that's being cited is? It looks like some blog but I don't know if it's a big news source or something so I could be way off

edit: Ok just clicked into that other Twitter post that's citing a different news source and that's super fucked up, the anti-gay quote.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If these were recent incidents then we wouldn't be finding out about them only now, no? He's a big star in Korean entertainment industry, is the international star of the biggest show on Netflix and (is apparently) gonna be leading a new Star Wars series.

Neha

Feb 17, 2022
The assault on that woman case is from 1998 in Busan
Donga Ilbo archive (mainstream Korean daily):

[휴지통]배우 이정재씨 폭행혐의 입건

▼…부산 해운대경찰서는 9월 26일 오전 3시경 부산 해운대구 중1동 B나이트클럽 앞에서 자신의 승용차에 탄 이모씨(2
aWEv0qz.jpg

There's also a Joongang Ilbo article and other mainstream sources from around that time.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Gonna wait for more info before deciding what I think about this, but it'd certainly be a shame if he turned out to be an awful person, he seemed really nice in some interviews.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Sucks this "happens" to come out and resurface when an Asian man is cast in Star Wars, just a big ol coinkydink I'm sure. They're terrible facts though and it's kind of wild Disney presumably did some background checks him and said "yeah this'll go over fine." Like what a shitty, shitty comment about his dead friend, and the blatant homophobia and assault. Yeesh.

Ain't that some fun timing...

Edit: timeline on the assault charge seems really up in the air but it nevertheless remains an ugly association

Oh fuck off with this. These guys were all fine and not telling people to stop being gay or assault people.

rose-tico-main_cbac29b9.jpeg

baze-and-chirrut-in-rogue-one.jpeg

Feb 16, 2022
It's awful, and I don't know if he ever faced repercussions about those wrongdoings, but at the same time it's also not out of the question for him to have changed within the last 20 years. At least, I hope he has.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not that it excuses anything but if these are 20 years old....? People can change a lot in 20 years.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Not that it excuses anything but if these are 20 years old....? People can change a lot in 20 years.
to be fair, the quote "telling a friend to stop being gay" seems to come from 2013

but i cant tell if its an actual quote or a sort of Page7 celebrity rumor thing, its a pretty short article that mostly focuses on that Jung-jae ''outed" another famous actor who committed suicide, there's no real context in the article (at least not in the english translated one i can find)

but then again, the article is from 2013, dunno about the quote, but i imagine it would be around the same time

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
If these were from 20+ years ago, it's so reactionary to bring it up now that he's been casted in a Star Wars show.

If the assaults are true then that's pretty terrible, but people deserve a chance to change and it seem like he kept himself clean since.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
it seems like the main quote comes from a Vogue Korea interview, but fuck me if i can find that easily

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
If the guy has paid his debt back to society and has kept himself from doing any other Bullshit, don't see what the issue is. I'm guessing Disney knows about it

Clarification on a misunderstanding in an interview about his friend

Neha

Feb 17, 2022
The parts about him assaulting a woman in 1998 and a man in 1999 are legit. Haven't looked into the DUI's but someone here said they are on his Wiki so I'm fairly sure they are legit. He was also drunk during those assaults too.

But the part about him outing his best friend and trying to get him to turn away from homosexuality? Look at the facts and decide for yourself.

it seems like the main quote comes from a Vogue Korea interview, but fuck me if i can find that easily
Cant find the interview on Vogue Korea site either. They took it down. Probably out of libel concerns.

But there's this tweet from Vogue KR "apologizing" saying "they are saddened that Lee Jungjae is being misunderstood because of their interview and that they hope Lee's sorrow over the loss of his friend is not being misrepresented on Vogue's part":

View: https://twitter.com/VogueKorea/status/302684580408856576
And "they are asking and hope no public figures are harmed by distorted news coverage and social media comments" and that "media sites are more factual going forward" (this one is bizarre because they're not directly admitting doing it here, just dropping a general statement, right after that tweet above):

View: https://twitter.com/VogueKorea/status/302710793139535872

And some articles like this one from the main business daily Maeil criticizing Vogue KR for publishing "false info" and posting information about Y's identity and outing him (Lee himself only refers to him as Y and he never outs him in the article. That was all on Vogue. In the original piece they dropped a HUGE hint about Y's identity in a footnote):
www.mk.co.kr

보그, “게이 그만두라 했다” 이정재 인터뷰 논란 사과

패션잡지 보그 코리아가 배우 이정재의 인터뷰 논란과 관련해 사과했다.이정재는 해당 잡지와의 인터뷰에서 “얼마 전 사랑하는 친구 Y를 하늘나라로 떠나보냈다”며 “나는 Y에게 게이 좀 그만하라고, 충분히 하지 않았느냐고 만류했지만

It's impossible to know if the quote about him trying to dissuade his friend from being gay is entirely true. If it was exactly what he said or not. Even if the interview was still up. Because every other source from that time I've read points to it being heavily editorialized and having things out of context. The real truth really is between him and the person who interviewed him.

This interview caused backlash against him on Korean social media. There are quotes on various articles from that time, quotes from the Vogue KR interview, and it's the same quote as the one in the OP. Then Vogue took it down and "apologized" with those tweets above. After the backlash he faced. The interview was also just 4 months after the suicide. So it was still fresh in everyone's memories. Lee and him were friends for 20 years.

The Vogue quote here on a liberal leaning entertainment website where it criticizes Vogue KR for much the same reasons I listed above (This is a pro-feminist website I've been following for a while):
star.ohmynews.com

'아웃팅 논란' 휩싸인 이정재, 홀로 십자가 질 일인가

[하성태의 사이드뷰] 이정재 논란, 소설 같은 기사 쓴 에디터 책임은 없나
It seems like it really was just a huge misunderstanding.
Also the Vogue KR piece wasn't exactly an "interview", it was a feature article.

Edit: After skimming through many articles they all paint the same picture. When that Vogue Korea piece was published it caused a scandal in the fashion/entertainment industry in Korea. Because it was just four months after Woo Jong-wan's suicide.

Vogue Korea eventually removed the piece when Lee was being blamed for the suicide of his best friend and made those tweets. And when Lee's representative was asked about it, he said they were friends for 20 years and he would never have said something as irresponsible as that to his best friend:
www.newdaily.co.kr

[보그 코리아] 우종완 아웃팅 논란에 사과? "안타깝게 생각"

패션지 '보그 코리아'가 최근 진행한 이정재와의 인터뷰 내용이 도마 위에 올랐다.실제로 이정재는 '보그' 취재진과 만난 자리에서 "얼마 전 세상을 떠난 친구 Y에게 '게이 좀 그만하라고..충분히 하지 않았느냐'고 만류했었다"는 얘기를 털어놓은 것으로 알려졌다.얼마 전 사랑하는 친구 Y를 하늘나라로 떠나 보냈어요.저는 Y에게 게이 좀 그만하라고, 충분히 하지 않았냐고 만류했지만 쉽지 않았죠.그는 그렇게 불편하게 타고 났어요.저도...

So yeah, this is all the story that we know. And will ever know. Now there are some theories on Korean SNS out there but that's some really DANGEROUS speculation territory that I'm really not comfortable discussing here.

Last edited:

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
20 years is a long time ago and people can change and learn from their mistakes. Here is hoping that this is one of those cases.

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021

Yeah. I mean, it's a hold-over from religious fundamentalism but I don't think the people who say that sort of thing even realize that. I don't know if it's american-centric but I've never seen anyone in my country say something like this. It's that distilled idea that our soul can't be pure and good unless we were the perfect model of a human being from birth to present day and never broke these X tennets, and if you weren't, you are forever damned to fail and be judged -- you are tainted, and no amount of atoning will save you from that.

I frankly can't fucking stand it, personally. Half the people who do that have skeletons in their own closets.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Oh fuck off with this. These guys were all fine and not telling people to stop being gay or assault people.

Ah yes let me amend my statement from "what a shitty, shitty comment about his dead friend, and the blatant homophobia and assault. Yeesh." to this instead: "what a shitty, shitty comment about his dead friend, and the blatant homophobia and assault. Yeesh." There, better?

Weaponizing generally left behind controversies is something the right has done when they don't like someone before. My post made it clear that I disavow his ugly ass homophobia and crimes, but I can simultaneously question the good faith in which these past things are brought up without dismissing the fact I am perfectly okay with not supporting someone who holds those views. I don't even like Star Wars and haven't seen Squid Games yet still, I'm not even a fan. But there's a hell of a turnaround from "New Star Wars starring an Asian male character!" to "Actor in new Star Wars has history of violence, crime, misogyny and homophobia uncovered (but not really because most of it was apparently known for decades)" in a matter of hours. Right now maybe it's nothing, but if it turns out he's generally redeemed and the homophobic comments weren't truthful, then what? He's going to have more racist raving "fans" attacking him for years like Kelly Marie Tran? Emboldened with weaponizing his past and gaining generally liberal people in their attacks?

As it stands right now all I've said is "fuck those positions, why did Disney hire this dude" and "hmm why is this coming out NOW though?" So no I won't fuck off.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
this seems way too nebulous without any semblance of an actual source. Also, 20 years ago is a long ass time. I'm always in the "people can change camp," and presumably he has. The timing also makes this feel like a hit piece. Waiting for a more official source before really taking a side seems prudent.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
this seems way too nebulous without any semblance of an actual source. Also, 20 years ago is a long ass time. I'm always in the "people can change camp," and presumably he has. The timing also makes this feel like a hit piece. Waiting for a more official source before really taking a side seems prudent.

Whether the accusations are true or not, it is definitely a hit piece. We just need better sources to see what and when did he do or said these things.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017

Almost 25 years ago, even.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Cant find the interview on Vogue Korea site either. They took it down.

But there's this tweet from Vogue KR "apologizing for causing a misunderstanding about Lee Jungjae and his friend"

View: https://twitter.com/VogueKorea/status/302684580408856576

And some articles like this one from the main business daily Maeil criticizing Vogue KR for publishing "false info" and posting information about Y's identity and outing him (He only refers to him as Y. He never outs him):
www.mk.co.kr

보그, “게이 그만두라 했다” 이정재 인터뷰 논란 사과

패션잡지 보그 코리아가 배우 이정재의 인터뷰 논란과 관련해 사과했다.이정재는 해당 잡지와의 인터뷰에서 “얼마 전 사랑하는 친구 Y를 하늘나라로 떠나보냈다”며 “나는 Y에게 게이 좀 그만하라고, 충분히 하지 않았느냐고 만류했지만

It's impossible to know if the quote about him trying to dissuade his friend from being gay is entirely true. If it was exactly what he said or not. Even if the interview was still up. Because every other source from that time I've read points to it being heavily editorialized and having things out of context. The real truth really is between him and the person who interviewed him.

This interview caused backlash against him on Korean social media. There are quotes on various articles from that time, quotes from the Vogue KR interview, and it's the same quote as the one in the OP. Then Vogue took it down and apologized for "causing misunderstanding". After the backlash he faced. The interview was also just 4 months after the suicide. So it was still fresh in everyone's memories. Lee and him were friends for 20 years.

The Vogue quote here on a liberal leaning entertainment website where it criticizes Vogue KR for much the same reasons I listed above (This is a pro-feminist website I've been following for a while):
star.ohmynews.com

'아웃팅 논란' 휩싸인 이정재, 홀로 십자가 질 일인가

[하성태의 사이드뷰] 이정재 논란, 소설 같은 기사 쓴 에디터 책임은 없나
It seems like it really was just a huge misunderstanding.
Also the Vogue KR piece wasn't exactly an "interview", it was a feature article.

Thank you for the explanation.

Slowdive maybe you should thread mark this, seems important.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
If this stuff really is from over 20 years ago, then he hopefully he hopefully has changed since then. That's not to excuse what he did, but that's a long time to reflect, learn and become someone better.

And this stuff surfacing now of all times is someone very likely having a hate driven agenda towards an Asian person being cast in a lead role in Star Wars.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
If this stuff really is from over 20 years ago, then he hopefully he hopefully has changed since then. That's not to excuse what he did, but that's a long time to reflect, learn and become someone better.

And this stuff surfacing now of all times is someone very likely having a hate driven agenda towards an Asian person being cast in a lead role in Star Wars.

I don't want to preclude this, because it very much is possible. That said, going digging in the past of an actor who has gained recent prominence is common practice. Purely from a content farming perspective. This is a hit piece, but most likely for views and not for a more malicious agenda.

Feb 16, 2022
I don't want to preclude this, because it very much is possible. That said, going digging in the past of an actor who has gained recent prominence is common practice. Purely from a content farming perspective. This is a hit piece, but most likely for views and not for a more malicious agenda.
Let's consider the fact that Lee has been famous for a while thanks to Squid Game, even attending Hollywood awards and events for his performance there. Also the fact that this is mere hours after the announcement of his role in a Star Wars show, including the track record of certain groups of Star Wars fans towards Asian actors and other minority actors.

It's enough to assume malicious intent, IMO.

Oct 30, 2017

Yep, all of this. That's not excusing things he said or did 9 to 20 years ago, but if he hasn't done anything since then, he's living a good life, he's changed...let's give him a chance?

That thing with his gay friend's suicide is some really fucked up and dark shit.
As gay man that used to struggle with suicide ideation (not because of my orientation however), it's not easy for me to write a comment like that off as "that was X amount of years ago!"

I really hope that this is a misunderstanding, because someone mistreating a good friend like that and non-chalantly talking about it after their death is tremendously disgusting.

Neha

Feb 17, 2022
I really hope that this is a misunderstanding, because someone mistreating a good friend like that and non-chalantly talking about it after their death is tremendously disgusting.
I don't know if this will help you, but I skimmed through many articles and they all paint the same picture. When that Vogue Korea piece was published it caused a scandal in the fashion/entertainment industry in Korea. Because it was just four months after Woo Jong-won's death.

Vogue Korea eventually removed the piece when Lee was being blamed for the suicide of his best friend and admitted in an update that some parts of the article were distorted and not based on truth. And when Lee was asked about it, he said they were friends for 20 years and he would never have said something as irresponsible as that to his best friend.

www.newdaily.co.kr

패션지 '보그 코리아'가 최근 진행한 이정재와의 인터뷰 내용이 도마 위에 올랐다.실제로 이정재는 '보그' 취재진과 만난 자리에서 "얼마 전 세상을 떠난 친구 Y에게 '게이 좀 그만하라고..충분히 하지 않았느냐'고 만류했었다"는 얘기를 털어놓은 것으로 알려졌다.얼마 전 사랑하는 친구 Y를 하늘나라로 떠나 보냈어요.저는 Y에게 게이 좀 그만하라고, 충분히 하지 않았냐고 만류했지만 쉽지 않았죠.그는 그렇게 불편하게 타고 났어요.저도...

I don't know if this will help you, but I skimmed through many articles and they all paint the same picture. When that Vogue Korea piece was published it caused a scandal in the fashion/entertainment industry in Korea. Because it was just four months after Woo Jong-won's death.

Vogue Korea eventually removed the piece when Lee was being blamed for the suicide of his best friend and admitted in an update that some parts of the article were distorted and not based on truth. And when Lee was asked about it, he said they were friends for 20 years and he would never have said something as irresponsible as that to his best friend.

www.newdaily.co.kr

That sounds like a really huge fuckup on that magazines's part.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto

...Did you think you did something with this post? He's alluding that
Ah yes let me amend my statement from "what a shitty, shitty comment about his dead friend, and the blatant homophobia and assault. Yeesh." to this instead: "what a shitty, shitty comment about his dead friend, and the blatant homophobia and assault. Yeesh." There, better?

Weaponizing generally left behind controversies is something the right has done when they don't like someone before. My post made it clear that I disavow his ugly ass homophobia and crimes, but I can simultaneously question the good faith in which these past things are brought up without dismissing the fact I am perfectly okay with not supporting someone who holds those views. I don't even like Star Wars and haven't seen Squid Games yet still, I'm not even a fan. But there's a hell of a turnaround from "New Star Wars starring an Asian male character!" to "Actor in new Star Wars has history of violence, crime, misogyny and homophobia uncovered (but not really because most of it was apparently known for decades)" in a matter of hours. Right now maybe it's nothing, but if it turns out he's generally redeemed and the homophobic comments weren't truthful, then what? He's going to have more racist raving "fans" attacking him for years like Kelly Marie Tran? Emboldened with weaponizing his past and gaining generally liberal people in their attacks?

As it stands right now all I've said is "fuck those positions, why did Disney hire this dude" and "hmm why is this coming out NOW though?" So no I won't fuck off.

Yup.