• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
David Pakman did an Interview with contrapoints:

I had no idea she used to do debates with some alt-right guys... and apparently stopped because of the response she was getting from the left.

Honestly, live debates isn't her strong point anyway. She's at her best when she's bravely taking on the most densely laid minefields in politics, but even the most skilled needs to take it slow to navigate that. The best live debaters are good at forcing their opponent into being the ones navigating the minefield.

That said, she's not terrible at it. A billion times better than the "light disinfects" believing academics and journalists who become lost when anyone doesn't play by their rules of debate.

xania

Oct 27, 2017
not gonna lie, my first reaction when i saw that video going around was pretty skeptical. regardless, while if genuine, it's good that someone can come around, i'm incredibly hesitant to heap praise on someone for having the epiphany that maybe you should treat other people with basic human dignity. to paraphrase Chris Rock, you don't get a medal for doing the bare minimum.

I think there's a difference between praise and welcoming someone to the community. If people are being like, oh wow this guy is a top revolutionary breadtuber then yeah, that's a bit much, but it seems mostly more like people saying welcome and looking forward to what he does next. I agree with not giving out praise for basic human decency but we also can't greet the ones leaving alt-right spaces with unneeded hostility or discouragement.

(This is assuming it's legit and all.)

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a difference between praise and welcoming someone to the community. If people are being like, oh wow this guy is a top revolutionary breadtuber then yeah, that's a bit much, but it seems mostly more like people saying welcome and looking forward to what he does next. I agree with not giving out praise for basic human decency but we also can't greet the ones leaving alt-right spaces with unneeded hostility or discouragement.

(This is assuming it's legit and all.)
that's fair - skepticism aside, i don't think gloating is helpful when it comes to people changing their views.

i do hope my skepticism is unfounded, i guess time will tell.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
The discussion between the new guy and Emerican (NonCompete) was really interesting. As Emerican said, it's good to be skeptical but still supportive of folks who claim to be leaving that side.
Some really good stuff was discussed between them, and I learned more about Emerican's history. I believe the discussion is posted on his channel.

fuzzylogic

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone watch Peter Coffin's video about Jussie Smollett? I didn't get around to watching it. He made the video private and I was wondering why.

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
Thought I'd try an exercise in patience today and listen to the latest JRE with Ben Shaprio. It took Rogan less than ta minute to bring the bullshit ADL statistic that Shaprio keeps touting out like an ace in a hole.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
If recommendations like these are frowned upon in this thread, let me know. These are things which most of us know one way or another, but it's always nice to be able to reference reading material.

Alternative Influence: Broadcasting the Reactionary Right on YouTube
https://datasociety.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/DS_Alternative_Influence.pdf
(A report analyzing how right-leaning YouTubers create a network of recommendations and guest appearances which gradually shuttle the viewer along an axis from more palatable takes towards more and more extreme right-wing, fascist opinions. And the same radicalization of the content creators themselves.)

Data shows a surprising campus free speech problem: left-wingers being fired for their opinions
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...rrectness-free-speech-liberal-data-georgetown
(Basically, data analyzed by the Free Speech Project of Georgetown University shows that faculty termination for issues relating to free speech does not predominantly affect those conservative or right-leaning, but rather liberal and left-leaning.)

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
New some more news video:

apparently people aren't getting notifications for it, so i figured I'd post it here just in case anyone interested might have missed it

while i'm at it, here's a video by peters about a topic very near and dear to this site's heart(gaming side at least):

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Caught an episode of Michael Brooks... apparently Dave Rubin interviewed our old TEA bagger pal, Colin Moriarty? Michael dunked on Dave in his ever so fun way while his Chapo guest took on the gaming angle. Colin also says he is friends with the creator of Axiom Verge and was playing it with Dave... I will continue to give AV a miss forever now.

I can't help but see how the pewdiepipeline is so well represented in Dave's segment.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Philosophy Tube is premiering his video on Jordan Peterson in about 7 minutes...

[EDIT] Forgot to add: it's a live premiere, meaning you can chat with other viewers, and PhilosophyTube himself is in the chat talking with everyone. 2 minutes left!

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
So Philosophy Tube is premiering his video on Jordan Peterson in about 7 minutes...

[EDIT] Forgot to add: it's a live premiere, meaning you can chat with other viewers, and PhilosophyTube himself is in the chat talking with everyone. 2 minutes left!

I watched this video and I continue to be impressed by Olly's style, I mean, that dude has some serious class when making these videos.

I keep getting Jack Saint videos recommended to me on Youtube and didn't see him listed on the recommendations in the OP, is this guy legit? It's sad that I have to ask this question but in this age it's difficult to tell.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I watched this video and I continue to be impressed by Olly's style, I mean, that dude has some serious class when making these videos.

I keep getting Jack Saint videos recommended to me on Youtube and didn't see him listed on the recommendations in the OP, is this guy legit? It's sad that I have to ask this question but in this age it's difficult to tell.
Jack Saint is legit you don't have to worry

I was skeptical too because how it's not obvious but yeah he's good

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Jack Saint is great.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary

This was a good video, but it also made me a bit sad.
I mean, it is a complex, multi-argument rebuttal of some of the main talking points of Jordan B P aka the snakeoilsalesman-in-chief. However, while the salesmen just pitches that women represent chaos and marxists want to lead you to hell, these takedowns of his ideas are much more complex, nuanced and sophistciated. It makes them hard to digest, hard to use in arguments. Which just shows the deviousness that the 12 rules of life was constructed with, and the poison in the platform that Jordan stands on.

This is a culture war where one side is playing chess, and the other side just uses cudgels. Not the easiest one to win or even manage. :(

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Hey everybody. Been on a long stint of watching these sorts of channels. Started with Lindsay Ellis, then Big Joel (whose analysis had mostly stuck to apolitical topics prior to a few weeks ago, but is really interesting regardless), then Jack Saint (who I can attest is legit), and lately it's been ContraPoints and Philosophy Tube, who kind of go hand in hand. Only dipping my toes in, but really enjoying myself and learning a lot, I think. Hopefully content creators like these can help ease the internet out of this alt-right milieu, especially those young and impressionable minds. It's certainly helped me get over my own hurdles, even if I've still got a lot of fucked up internalization to sort out or understand. Anyway, watching this thread, maybe I'll pop in to comment now and then.

Hail Sobek

PeacefulDream

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like every Philosophy Tube video I watch is just ten more books to add to the list of things I should've read years ago.

I'm binging these, too, because they're so good so it's, like, 200 books now, lol.

Oct 26, 2017
Steve Shives had a pretty video in response to to Sam Harris' "woe is me" pity party after he and his IDW cohorts got called out for their history of islamophobia:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just wanted to share a really interesting video from Novara Media with Aaron Bastani discussing the idea of cultural Marxism and how its a load of bollocks used by idiots and alt right shits.

Features clips from lobster boy and moleneux plus some other horrible people.

As a layman it was really interesting so figured I would share it.

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
X-posting from the Brexit thread: I've just started out making leftist youtube videos, and so I'm still pretty terrible at it. However, if you're interested, I made a trash video explaining why lots of people voted for Brexit for reasons that don't make any sense. Please check out if you like statistics, economic analysis, and being angry at people :P

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
X-posting from the Brexit thread: I've just started out making leftist youtube videos, and so I'm still pretty terrible at it. However, if you're interested, I made a trash video explaining why lots of people voted for Brexit for reasons that don't make any sense. Please check out if you like statistics, economic analysis, and being angry at people :P

Hey man, had a quick look at your video.
I won't really comment on the content since I'm not educated enough on the subject. Plus I'll admit I only watched a couple minutes.

I've only got 2 comments to make:
- kudos for making and releasing this. Regardless of the video's inherent quality (which, again, I can't really assess one way or another), the most important part about your first piece of creative work is that it exists. You got the ball rolling, congratulations :).
- I'll be blunt: get a mic. People will forgive slightly subpar video quality, but bad audio is an attention killer, and gives the impression that you're amateur hour (especially in 2019, when the technical standards, even for amateurs, are very high). A good starter mic that many YouTubers use is the Blue Yeti. Certainly good enough for this type of video. Cost between $100 and $150 last time I checked, so, a very reasonable investment I would say.

Good luck :).

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
It's not technically "leftist" youtube but it does hit a bunch of the things that come up all the time with the alt-right

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Does anyone have good left podcast recs? I've gotta few of the big guys but not much else.
For Comedy/Politics podcasts I would recommend Boonta Vista. They're kinda like Chapo, only more Australian and less abrasive.
I also like 49th Parahell, but that's because I'm Canadian, I don't know how much interest you have for Canadian politics (tbf it's often also about Americans).
As for more serious polical podcasts, I dunno, fuckin'... Citations Needed? and I guess 49th Parahell is a bit closer to serious.
I'm really not smart enough to listen to much real, non-entertainment politics stuff...

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
if you're British or interested in UK politics, We Don't Talk About The Weather is a good UK-centric lefty discussion podcast that I think deserves more attention

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Thanks for the pod recs everyone, subbed to them all. Gonna start working my way through them tonight and tomorrow at work.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
David Pakman interviewed this guy yesterday and it went about as you'd expect; the interviewee couldn't actually hold on to most of his own arguments and deferred to "it's nuance" when his positions were shown to be entirely inconsistent. It's worth a watch/listen up until Tim leaves; at that point Pakman just reads comments and tries to get new subs, which is fine, but there's nothing worth listening to in that last 10 minutes.

For the most part, Pakman goes easy on him, and doesn't press him for hard examples or evidence, which is a bit unfortunate. Maybe next time.

If the 40/40/20 theory is true, I don't think much, if any, of that 20% would have moved to Tim's side after this.