• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
David Pakman interviewed this guy yesterday and it went about as you'd expect; the interviewee couldn't actually hold on to most of his own arguments and deferred to "it's nuance" when his positions were shown to be entirely inconsistent. It's worth a watch/listen up until Tim leaves; at that point Pakman just reads comments and tries to get new subs, which is fine, but there's nothing worth listening to in that last 10 minutes.

For the most part, Pakman goes easy on him, and doesn't press him for hard examples or evidence, which is a bit unfortunate. Maybe next time.

If the 40/40/20 theory is true, I don't think much, if any, of that 20% would have moved to Tim's side after this.

Tim Pool the "liberal" journalist

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What happens to Destiny?
I dunno, I unsubscribed from him since he seems intent on being a dick to his fans? He's now apparently DMing future GoT episode spoilers to people.
Yeah, Destiny won't take a L on this so I have to.
He's being a little crybaby whiny butthurt PoS right now about the spoilers thing.
As many of the critics have pointed out, it's not about the spoilers anymore, it's about how he's reacting to people not being 100% on his side of that argument.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Destiny won't take a L on this so I have to.
He's being a little crybaby whiny butthurt PoS right now about the spoilers thing.
As many of the critics have pointed out, it's not about the spoilers anymore, it's about how he's reacting to people not being 100% on his side of that argument.
Of all things that would get a fanbase to turn on you it's because he won't take an L on spoilers

I don't think I've seen someone ever die on this dumb of a hill

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, I like Destiny, and I find the new season of GoT (and the previous one... and the one before that) to be pretty bad overall, but this is pointless. I don't really get what triggered him so badly, and I'm kinda afraid to research this since I don't really want to be spoiled 2 episodes before the end.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Just found this thread. Do we have an updated list of where the major Youtubers sit ideologically?

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a few of his videos and the fact that they're so short and simple helps tremendously. He also gave a shout-out to Natalie not too long ago!

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Philosophy Tube must be a fan of The Prestige. It's a great movie.
Also really good video.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hey are we above laughing at the Faith Goldy/Richard Spencer thing? cuz that shit's pretty fuckin funny imo

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also lol @ destiny defenders ITT. what a hoass

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
That ain't Shaun? Sounds like a guy doing an impression. Never heard of this Jack Saint fellow, but I'll check out the video.
images

Barrow Roll

Oct 25, 2017
Oof. Actually went straight to Shaun and Jen's channel because I'd love to see them tackle this subject, but alas this video will have to do.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
While they are not explicitly leftist, I feel Rare Earth occasionally makes videos that would fit in this thread, their most recent one talking about the difficulties a developing country has with capitalism

The channel has a lot of videos covering the stories of developing countries and how they feel the effects of imperialism and capitalism.

The series is made by Evan Hadfield, son of the astronaut Chris Hadfield which more people are probably familiar with.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
While they are not explicitly leftist, I feel Rare Earth occasionally makes videos that would fit in this thread, their most recent one talking about the difficulties a developing country has with capitalism

The channel has a lot of videos covering the stories of developing countries and how they feel the effects of imperialism and capitalism.

The series is made by Evan Hadfield, son of the astronaut Chris Hadfield which more people are probably familiar with.

Will definitely have to check this out

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just wanted to share the Novara interview with Ollie from PhilosophyTube.

Really interesting, from a personal perspective I was originally hoping for more concrete stances on certain issues but his reasoning for avoiding that was fair enough.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver

An example of things going wrong in the exact opposite way is mexican heirloom corn being killed by US hybrid corn thanks to NAFTA. Terrible for Mexico's farmers and economy, and probably a major reason Mexico was the second most obese country in the world after the United States, up until very recently.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for sharing. That's a good video because it offers a fairly concise and clear example of the effects of free trade/imperialism in one developing country. It's important for people to understand the wide ranging implications of something that seems innocous, like a health food fad.

Still, I would agree that it's not a completely lefty video. You can still hear that the presenter (Evan?) still explicitly accepts the positives of capitalist system:

- He talks about entering into the global marketplace as something that's disruptive in the short term, but that it will be good over time. I guess my question would "good for who?" - not the majority of the population currently working their own farm land and who would be forced into wage labour. Presumably good for a few small businesses who clean up.
- He says modern imperialism/neo-imperalism "isn't by definition bad". Uh, I think it is because it siphons yet more wealth out of the global south into the north at the expense of the lives of all the people it disrupts/makes homeless/kills with poverty.
- He says "The pattern isn't created to harm developing nations or steal bread from the mouths of the poor". Again, between the WTO, so called "free trade agreements", patent law, IMF/World Bank structural readjustments, loose capital control, western backed government coups etc it's pretty clear that the entire global economic system is crafted to exploit global south countries in as many ways as possible. The idea that the system is somehow "neutral" in the face of all evidence to the contrary is a little ridiculous.

Last edited:

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Thanks for sharing. That's a good video because it offers a fairly concise and clear example of the effects of free trade/imperialism in one developing country.

I would agree that it's not a completely lefty video. You can still hear that the presenter (Evan?) still explicitly accepts the positives of capitalist system:

- He talks about entering into the global marketplace as something that's disruptive in the short term, but that it will be good over time. I guess my question would "good for who?" - not the majority of the population currently working their own farm land and who would be forced into wage labour. Presumably good for a few small businesses who clean up.
- He says modern imperialism/neo-imperalism "isn't by definition bad". Uh, I think it is because it siphons yet more wealth out of the global south into the north at the expense of the lives of all the people it disrupts/makes homeless/kills with poverty.
- He says "The pattern isn't created to harm developing nations or steal bread from the mouths of the poor". Again, between the WTO, so called "free trade agreements", patent law, IMF/World Bank structural readjustments, loose capital control, western backed government coups etc it's pretty clear that the entire global economic system is crafted to exploit global south countries in as many ways as possible. The idea that the system is somehow "neutral" in the face of all evidence to the contrary is a little ridiculous.
Was there always so many examples of people coming so close to figuring out capitalism is a problem, and yet somehow still miss it? Or am I just now noticing it?

Like people write these long articles about how much McDonalds sucks for it service workers and the writer obviously wants you to be sad about it, but then they always throw in that one line saying "but this is how it should be because capitalism is good".

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Was there always so many examples of people coming so close to figuring out capitalism is a problem, and yet somehow still miss it? Or am I just now noticing it?

Like people write these long articles about how much McDonalds sucks for it service workers and the writer obviously wants you to be sad about it, but then they always throw in that one line saying "but this is how it should be because capitalism is good".
I haven't really studied the history of media enough to know for sure, but I imagine its a mix of both.

Corporate media has always performed the role of maintaining the status quo and propping up capitalism.

Left wing talking points, helped in part by the internet's role in decentralizing media consumption, have become more popular in recent years. Yet, there's a crucial difference between taking some of those specific left-wing points (opening up your economy to the global market can be bad) and re-forging your entire conception of how the world works (if you've been taught all your life that capitalism, while imperfect, is the best system then it's very hard to overturn that idea).

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Pakman went on Rogan, the whole thing was basically Pakman educating Rogan the entire time about things he only has a surface level understanding of.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Pakman went on Rogan, the whole thing was basically Pakman educating Rogan the entire time about things he only has a surface level understanding of.

I need to watch this but I can only handle Rogan when he's on the UFC. Ugh.

Did anybody catch Kat Blaque's latest video? The idea is good but it just sucks because she got drunk and started ranting lol.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Pakman on Rogan is a good interview worth watching (in your Incognito mode, to avoid... recommendations.)

I really can't stand listening to Rogan in more than small clips, but I made an exception for this one.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
You may know Vaush from Destiny's channel where he debated Destiny a number of times from a leftist perspective (he went by IrishLaddie). Recently he set up his own Youtube channel and stream. If you enjoyed Destiny's spontaneous, edgy style but have been put off by his recent emotional tirades about how much he hates lefties and thinks they're all stupidheads, you might like Vaush. He describes himself as an anarcho-syndicalist.

Oct 25, 2017
You may know Vaush from Destiny's channel where he debated Destiny a number of times from a leftist perspective (he went by IrishLaddie). Recently he set up his own Youtube channel and stream. If you enjoyed Destiny's spontaneous, edgy style but have been put off by his recent emotional tirades about how much he hates lefties and thinks they're all stupidheads, you might like Vaush. He describes himself as an anarcho-syndicalist.

Eh I'll pass on a sexual harasser.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017

One point about IrishLaddie/Vaush, Destiny exiled/kicked him from the community due to 2 female members coming out and telling Destiny that he made them feel uncomfortable. Vaush was very sexually explicit in some messages despite them making it clear they didn't feel comfortable with it.