• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hard to disagree with anything Peter is saying here. Whether or not your leftist views line up with Peter's leftist views, his wider points are:

1. Left-tube is currently operating like a boutique market - with a handful of superstars dominating the conversation/attention.

2. This market, whether it's been created intentionally (e.g. people looking to beat others in a competition) or unintentionally (as a natural consequence of operating in a capitalist system) is not fully compatible with (and in many ways, inherently incompatible with) 'leftist ideas'.

3. Leftistsm by it's very nature, is a collectivist notion, that is concerned with empowering the masses, including (or especially, depending on your leftist lens) those who are abused/marginalised/mistreated/excluded in our current capitalist system. (Obviously questions of identity are relevant here).

4. Part of empowerment involves being given a voice.

5. Smaller left-tubers struggle to gain attention/grow (and therefore lack empowerment/power) for a variety of reasons (lack of resources, knowledge, support, money, equipment, algorithm bias etc). One of those reasons is also the pull/allure of the big left-tubers that dominate the market.

6. Something should be done about this, to help about this problem. Peter and Angie are doing their part through incubating smaller left-tubers, but that's just a small part of the puzzle.

7. More needs to be done to actually build a movement and build a healthier network of left-tubers. It shouldn't be about superstars, it should be about hearing from/giving power to others, especially from marginalised backgrounds (who still remain marginalised even in left-tube, as people have pointed out.

8. Somewhere in here is the idea that while it's good to spread ideas, the left actually has to come together (somehow) to form an actual movement to make changes in the real world. And that cannot happen if people, especially the left-tuber superstars, end up treating left-tube like a market.

9. Some people within Left-tube (apparently) don't see the need to come together to form a movement. This thinking needs to change. Individualistic thinking will not save us.

I think that about covers it? The problem, remains - how to organise a decentralized movement that ideally shouldn't have a powerful hierarchy / superstars / etc.

Solutions? No idea - there's certainly no silver bullet. But something needs to be done that can turn Left-tube videos with thousands/hundreds of thousands/millions of views into an actual, leftist movement with that actually impacts the world.
I think it might help for some of the superstars to platform some of the smaller channels (like co-host or have some discussion about some topic) to help bring more exposure.
I'd also add that talking about this stuff in an educational and engaging way is a skill most people don't have. Being an entertainer or an educator requires a lot of research, thought, and practice. It's not exactly like you can just give just anyone a microphone and an audience and it'd all work itself out.
All good points. Boosting smaller channels, funding each other, focusing on minority content creators, increasing access to education and research.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, I guess if others are leaving Left Tube or getting tired of it, I can use that to plot my domination! Now, to just get motivated...

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My biggest roadblock is the fact that I'm so far behind on many of my ongoing videos I'm doing... Mainly the fact that I have 9 (10 even depending on how you count) unfinished LPs so I worry that I wouldn't be able to drive myself to make a consistent output of leftist videos. Even if I did, it would probably at least be related to video games, as I think that could be an interesting avenue. Analyse video games from a leftist perspective, or maybe the community/culture of the gaming industry.

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
I think that about covers it? The problem, remains - how to organise a decentralized movement that ideally shouldn't have a powerful hierarchy / superstars / etc.
This is one thing I just dont get. Yeah, sure, no powerful hierarchy, that is a reasonable thing to want to avoid, but it seems to turn into people not wanting any sort of leadership at all which just strikes me as stupid.

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
I'm opposed to the idea of leaders.

When folks on the left becomes public figures it usually just leads everyone to take their words for us all which is not the point. We are all the face of the Left. Use their work as a guide if you are struggling with a topic like intersectionalism for example, those are good resources they can provide but it for sure shouldn't be a reason to idolize them. They all have talents and they also limits and weaknesses like the non-creators or small, less known creators. They just have more money through luck or networking.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
That New Republic article was a damn monkey's paw. Lindsay and Contra had a falling out a few days ago. The saddest part was that the article predicted a splintering of the group. I just didn't expect for it to be so damn early.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That New Republic article was a damn monkey's paw. Lindsay and Contra had a falling out a few days ago. The saddest part was that the article predicted a splintering of the group. I just didn't expect for it to be so damn early.
... Did they have a falling out?
They sent joking tweets at each other like a couple of days ago.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, what exactly is going on with Angry Joe? He used to be considered one of the better gaming Youtubers out there and he's one of the few I've followed throughout the years who didn't turn out to be a massive shithead and I was genuinely surprised when he slapped down some of the Gamegate garbage in his videos and on Twitter. I've admittedly missed a lot of his content lately and I've been hearing more and more that he has become way more of a fence sitter thanks to his shitty gamer audience that he's afraid to lose and that lately he's even begun ironically calling things SJW in his videos. Is he another one for the pile or am I getting things wrong? Someday I'd like to catch up on his videos, but if he's trending in a right leaning direction to court the usual Youtube audience then I'd rather not bother.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, what exactly is going on with Angry Joe? He used to be considered one of the better gaming Youtubers out there and he's one of the few I've followed throughout the years who didn't turn out to be a massive shithead and I was genuinely surprised when he slapped down some of the Gamegate garbage in his videos and on Twitter. I've admittedly missed a lot of his content lately and I've been hearing more and more that he has become way more of a fence sitter thanks to his shitty gamer audience that he's afraid to lose and that lately he's even begun ironically calling things SJW in his videos. Is he another one for the pile or am I getting things wrong? Someday I'd like to catch up on his videos, but if he's trending in a right leaning direction to court the usual Youtube audience then I'd rather not bother.
I've known he was a fence sitter for years now. He's riled up the gators before, but not from a position of leftist/social justice principles. He makes it clear that he has no principle that might cost him viewer counts.

Last edited:

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
I have not watched it yet (and can't really today) so not sure if it's any good, but YT suggested me this, which features Donoteat as a guest in the episode. From the description it looks like something similar, a lefty channel about urban development/architecture, so people who can't get enough of him might want to take a look.

StarGentleUterus

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 6, 2019
I'm tired of Breadtube with their constant reminding that "Cancel Culture Bad"..

And quite weird tbh that the whole "Cancel Culuture Bad" rhetoric started becoming prominent among breadtubers around the time A Breadtuber defended a Rapist (that's not even mentioning the whole "I created a fake asian girlfriend as a way to act racist online mess).

At least Hbomberguy apologized when he fucked up with the defending the friend who had rape accusations mess.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't fully agree with Peter on cancel culture. I get that he prioritizes systemic critiques over individual ones, but I think individuals when they wield enough power, can be important targets. Especially when the means to make systemic changes are out of our reach. I think both things are important in proper context. The problem is that the way most people are conditioned to think is to just focus on individual tear downs and put systemic stuff out of mind. I do like peter's output though. His opinions are well thought out and are engaging to reflect on.

I don't really follow what's going on in the twitter sphere. So I can't form an opinion there.

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
Vaush changed his tune a little a day or two after the recent drama stream where he had Jack Saint and Box Full Of Bats talk to him about him being insensitive (they were right, but there was no way that those two strangers could make him see the error of his ways at that point). That seems to be what it comes down to, that he can be inconsiderate of the feelings of the allies he says he wants to help out and be in a community with.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Newsbroke is back, folks, in case you missed it. I certainly did not:

Francesca keeps slaying, though I am a bit sad that now she seems to have less time to host TYT shows :P

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Not YouTube but I'm looking for some more leftist podcasts to listen to. I've got citations needed, chapo etc.

Something closer to citations than chapo is what I'm looking for.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I were smart enough to do something like this.

It's not a matter of being smart. Or, rather, smartness itself isn't something that you have or don't have. Education, hard work, open-mindedness and passion will make you smart.

Smartness isn't even specific enough anyway. You can be super smart in certain areas and dumb/ignorant in others. See guys like Neil de Grasse Tyson, who might be a smart astronomer (and astronomy is generally thought of as a "smart-people thing"), but is a huge ass who clearly lacks emotional intelligence, as illustrated by his recent Tweets for instance.

By the way, ThoughtSlime recently made a great video on how to get into YouTube:

A key takeaway is to just try. Do your thing, even if it sucks at first. Your first work will almost always be your worst work anyway. Practice makes perfect.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Not YouTube but I'm looking for some more leftist podcasts to listen to. I've got citations needed, chapo etc.

QAnon Anonymous is a really good in-between but they mostly just cover instances of conspiratorial thinking so if you're not into that, it might not be the best for you

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

Lol Angry Joe is some trash:

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I sometimes see people talk about Sam Harris as an intelligent/reasonable dude - he certainly presents better than other personalities on the surface -, but he doesn't get talked about nearly as much by leftist youtube as other darlings of the internet right-wing/"center" it seems. Does anyone have a good primer/takedown of the dude? Just so I know his basic positions and how far gone anyone who likes him is lol.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The Antifada and The Michael Brooks Show. Both hosted by members of The Majority Report.

Other than that, The Intercepted. Can't wait until the summer break is over and Jeremy Scahill is back.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sesame Street partnered with an Anti-Vax organization?

The story is in several publications. So yeah, I guess it's exactly what it looks like.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sam Harris is a useful moron for the right these days, supports right wing ideas of immigration and is plainly pretty scared of Muslims to the point he advocated nuking the Middle East. As of late some of his podcast havers have also been those that champion race based science and bell curve nonsense so yeah, not really a great guy

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I sometimes see people talk about Sam Harris as an intelligent/reasonable dude - he certainly presents better than other personalities on the surface -, but he doesn't get talked about nearly as much by leftist youtube as other darlings of the internet right-wing/"center" it seems. Does anyone have a good primer/takedown of the dude? Just so I know his basic positions and how far gone anyone who likes him is lol.
Well, apparently Michael Brooks is going to cover him in his upcoming book. He mentions this in his latest Harris rebuttal.

You could also search Majority Report/Michael Brooks for more deep takedowns that are simultaneously entertaining.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Well, apparently Michael Brooks is going to cover him in his upcoming book. He mentions this in his latest Harris rebuttal.

You could also search Majority Report/Michael Brooks for more deep takedowns that are simultaneously entertaining.

Sam Harris on Muslim terrorism: you have to take them at their word!

Sam Harris on the recent domestic white terrorism: we can't really believe them when they tell us why they commit mass murder.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
The progressive voice had an accurate summation of Harris. He's kind of the weirdest guy in the world in his moral contradictions but ultimately lands in a place where he's a functionally racist and harmful influencer and warmonger.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to jump in on Luna (NonCompete) dunking on Shitstiny:

This is going to be great lol.

Edit: we knew he was trash but to say that Vietnam just rolled over to the US?! Oof. OOF.

Sep 12, 2018
Majority Report have done numerous excellent videos on Sam Harris.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I'm about to jump in on Luna (NonCompete) dunking on Shitstiny:

This is going to be great lol.

Edit: we knew he was trash but to say that Vietnam just rolled over to the US?! Oof. OOF.

Yeah, I have watched the full debate between Destiny and NonCompete. While both of them acted badly during the debate (regularly interrupting the other side, etc), and I would even say that Destiny had to argue against not only NonCompete, but against Luna's occasional jumpins, at the end of the day, the video was as revealing of Destiny's positions as his now infamous debate of JonTron was revealing of JonTron's. Now, Destiny is not a racist, that much is clear, but he clearly has no interest in levelling the playing field if that means weakening the free reigns of late-stage capitalism.

So Luna has one more subscriber now, and Destiny has one less. Not that it means much, but I had to do it.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Yeah destiny has always made it clear that he is not a Leftist. and while he is an ally when tearing down the right he is not an ally when it comes to progressive leftism. thats okay though, i can disagree with him. think he acted like an ass in that debate and acknowledge that he is good when it comes to debasing the alt-right.

I'd call this a typo, but when you're right you're right.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to thank Anton , she_esh, UnpopularBlargh and Turin for helping me understand Harris's deal. Yeah, the segment of the Michael Brooks video where he outlines Harris's massive double standards when it comes to interpreting texts is pretty enlightening. He takes two lines of the Quran originally written in a language you don't understand and use them to generalize about the motivations of Muslim extremists, yet when he gets multiple manifestoes written entirely in English by White nationalists who self-identifies as such, suddenly you shouldn't take their words at face value? That's so transparent lol.

Anyway, ThoughtSlime released a good video on Chelsea Manning earlier today:

As a non-American, I was largely unaware of the situation. It's so fucked up. I wanted to donate to her fund (ThoughtSlime gives a link to it), but unfortunately the website won't accept my card for whatever reason :(.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
So I already knew Abby Martin from her appearances on Joe Rogan and a couple other places but I never followed her channel Empire Files until now and... shit, some of her videos and interviews are really really good and super interesting.

I don't really see her videos being shared all that much around so I wonder what your opinion on her content is.

The hidden American empire

Mass shootings and white nationalism

The hidden war on trans rights

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
Saw some debates online where people claimed that leftist sjw parents were forcing their children to be trans and Timbah.On.Toast made a video going through the one example they have of this happening:

Spoiler alert: it isn't happening.