• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've voiced my support for TYT in general as a net good. Thought of Cenk as someone working for good things, though sometimes kind of dense. Chalked the latter up to him being formerly a republican shaking off old conservative concepts. But this fucking floored me. He basically pulled a Megyn Kelly moment without missing a beat - learning nothing about why it was bad. If he just reflected on that for a minute, even if he wasn't well informed, he'd have known to maybe let someone else explain it to him before going live (with clown shoes on) to declare brown face as "not a thing". In light of other less egregious things he's said, I think he's extremely naive about the extent and how virulent racist/bigoted tropes in America are. Now I understand where his jingoistic tendencies stem from. He's too hung up on the great American scam that we're the best in spite of our problems and he can't fathom how terrible it has been and can be.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, this post is going to be a trip.

For all of the faults in TYT, in recent years I've come to realize that they were pretty much the thing that stopped me from falling down what was probably the beta version of the Alt-Right pipeline, probably around 2009 to 2010-ish. That's on top of getting me invested in politics when I likely would not have otherwise, as well as causing me to understand that I have strong left leaning values.

To put it into perspective, my high school years were easily some of the worst of my life. I was alone, utterly miserable, outcasted entirely by my schoolmates, and constantly ridiculed and bullied by my own family for never really being what a teenage girl should be. I didn't turn to racism or bigotry or anything hateful, but growing up Catholic and having parents who loved the Left Behind series, and me having always been a big reader, at some point I began reading their copies of the Left Behind series. I became obsessed with the end of the world and being raptured. I figured that things were so bad that it had to be close to the end. Around that time I also began going on a lot of conspiracy sites, and at first it was a lot of the innocent stuff like the moon landing hoax, but eventually you began seeing things about how Obama was mass producing 'eco coffins' for the death camps he was setting up and how there are cemtrails in the sky and so on and so fourth. I remember the eco coffins the most out of everything because there was this big thread about it with pictures as proof and other weird things. It was wild, and had these people not been completely serious, it would be fun to look back upon now for how crazy the whole thing was.

I don't think I ever fully bought any of it, just that I was in such a bad place that I was looking for any proof that the end of the world was near and that soon I'd be taken away to someplace where I would finally be happy. I still hate that I turned a blind eye to all of the barely concealed racism that I was seeing in these conspiracy theories, calling Obama the anti-christ or stupid names like Obummer. I hate that I didn't see the racism in claiming that the first black president was working toward bringing about the end of the world, or at the very least was working towards killing all of the 'good people'. You never saw Bush or any of the other presidents getting anywhere near the same level of theory crafting about them. The irony that they could never accept the reality of a black president running the country without destroying it and then turning right around and voting for someone like Trump will never cease to amaze me. Especially when he fits the description of an anti-christ far more than Obama ever did. Sometimes I almost want to go back on that site now and see how they spin their conspiracies with 'messiah' Trump at the wheel, but I would also rather just leave that place behind me.

So, yeah. Here's how all of this ended. Eventually I started to buy a little more into all of the Obama hate. That at the very least he was a bad president along with democrats being awful in general and that they didn't need to be demonic for that to be the case. Even if I wasn't willing to believe that he was a demon in disguise or whatever else, I was still becoming way more right leaning. Well, eventually it started to feel like the 'Obama is the devil!' conspiracies began to overtake everything else on that site. All of the fun theories largely went away. There was a noticeable change and yet nobody really commented on it. At some point I began picking up Youtube channels through this site though. The three I remember the most is this one guy who mostly talked about cemtrails that eventually stopped uploading at some point, and I remember finding out that he had been arrested after trying to do something stupid to stop cemtrails from happening, I don't know if it was all faked so that he could come out looking like a martyr, but boy was that a wild time. The next guy was someone who kept uploading his shitty cable feed that was constantly glitching and used that as proof that everyone on TV isn't actually human and are instead unknown entities that are trying to indoctrinate you. Admittedly, I was mostly following these guys for the entertainment value. My heart still wasn't 100% into believing this stuff. The last guy though? He was more of a down to earth guy who I genuinely enjoyed listening to and believed a lot of what he was saying. It really is those types of people who end up reeling you in. I'll talk about him a little more later.

Eventually one of those dudes began uploading clips of Glen Beck and hooo boy did Glen love to peddle the whole 'Obama is coming for yoooouuu!' thing. The fact that he was on an actual news channel and I wasn't aware of how shitty Fox News was at the time, lent legitimacy to what he was saying. I really began eating his garbage up, and I ain't proud of that. He was good at giving his bigotry and performative lunacy an air of legitimacy back then, I suppose. It was while I was watching one of those clips that Youtube recommended me a TYT clip of them taking Glen Beck down. I watched it to thumbs it down and I remember hating what they were saying about him. I think they kept showing up in my recs at that point and I kept hate-watching them to thumb them down. Eventually I found a video of them mocking the idea of things like Cemtrails, how stupid the idea of Obama death camps were, and the one that I think really got to me, was one talking about the rapture and how it's a really shitty thing to want the end of the world to come. How selfish it is to think you'll be spared from it while other innocent people suffer immensely before being sent to an eternal hell for no other reason than not believing in the right god. Before I got rapture crazy, I had already been trending away from faith entirely, and having that laid out in front of me largely put me back on that path.

I began watching more of their clips, and hearing them explain their positions on things instead of only having the strawman of what a liberal is being the only thing I see. I began to understand more and more about where left leaning people are coming from and eventually I realized that pretty much all of my values are considered left leaning ones and that if I was open with them in the spaces I was spending time on, those conspiracy people would hate me for them. It eventually got to the point where I could no longer look at that conspiracy site without getting angry at the people on there. Even all of the fun stuff had been replaced with endless bashing of Obama and liberals in general. I think that because their predictions about what was going to happen during the Obama presidency wasn't coming to pass, all they could do was double down until it pretty much consumed the site entirely.

For all their faults, I'd rather have TYT around on Youtube over yet another right-wing channel clogging up the recommendation. If their existence pulls more people out of the alt-right pipeline, then that's a net positive. I like to think that even if I hadn't stumbled across them while spiraling down the crazy part of the internet that eventually I would have found myself anyway and realized where my morals lie and that they are incompatible with conservative morality. On the other hand, it worries me to think of what might have happened if I hadn't figured myself out and kept letting myself be brainwashed, especially when all of this shit really started to kick into high gear around when GG happened and just before the 2016 election. I like to think I'm better than that, but you never know. Back then the conspiracy people were crazy enough to keep me from really buying what they were selling, but eventually all of that got refined into something far more palatable for a general audience to buy into. I still remember that one dude who knew how to talk well enough to almost get me to start believing in a lot of his conspiracy garbage. He did it calmly, logically, never showed any hysterical anger or paranoia that was so common with these types, and he spoke with a level of kindness and empathy toward his viewers that was comforting and fresh at the time. He would say things like 'we're all going to get through this together' and 'we have each other no matter what comes next'. He was a true believer, but different in a sense. While it felt like a lot of these guys just wanted their Rambo fantasies to come to life so that they'd have a bunch of people they could shoot without going to jail, this guy seemed like he genuinely wanted to be the one to help as many people as possible when the collapse came. He'd be the one with a safe house and a meal cooked up for anyone who needed it. It's...strange to think about now. All of it makes me think of what this evolved into and how the right uses their selective empathy to reel in lost and hurting men.

On that note, I'll end it here by saying that this all makes me think about how men and woman are socialized differently. Girls who are outcasted seem to internalize that pain and turn it into self-loathing and self-destructiveness, and while boys often do the same, they are far more likely to externalize their feelings into aggression and anger while seeking an 'other' to take that aggression out on and use as a scapegoat to blame all of their problems on.

This post went places LOL. I kinda wish I still had my original Youtube account. It's probably still subscribed to all those people I talked about and I almost want to see if any of them are still around, but I seriously doubt I'd ever be able to get back into it at this point. I can't remember the names of these channels anymore either. It would be interesting to find them again but I don't think it would be worth the effort now. It's probably best to leave it in the past. Reality is insane enough now. LOL

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Agree with Televator , thanks for sharing CatDoggo.

I'm actually a fan of TYT and do watch them often, but the two examples I brought up about Cenk really felt out of left field considering the sheer amount of positive things he has discussed in countless videos I have seen before.

I do think he can be the more nieve one of the group, probably some remnants of his Conservative mind set from before. I would say Anna, John and others are better equipped at judging peoples motivations and the capacity of humans and what they truly believe.

Cenk still has quite a lot of faith in people at times that from my perspective is I'll advised as I have learned over the years that people are capable of not only horrible things but that the logic some people use is completely counter intuitive to how things actually are.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bless Ana for trying to save the conversation, but she was ill-equipped for the task. lol

She doesn't quite get it either, but she's closer than Cenk and more open to listening and coming around.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Okay, this post is going to be a trip.

For all of the faults in TYT, in recent years I've come to realize that they were pretty much the thing that stopped me from falling down what was probably the beta version of the Alt-Right pipeline, probably around 2009 to 2010-ish. That's on top of getting me invested in politics when I likely would not have otherwise, as well as causing me to understand that I have strong left leaning values.

To put it into perspective, my high school years were easily some of the worst of my life. I was alone, utterly miserable, outcasted entirely by my schoolmates, and constantly ridiculed and bullied by my own family for never really being what a teenage girl should be. I didn't turn to racism or bigotry or anything hateful, but growing up Catholic and having parents who loved the Left Behind series, and me having always been a big reader, at some point I began reading their copies of the Left Behind series. I became obsessed with the end of the world and being raptured. I figured that things were so bad that it had to be close to the end. Around that time I also began going on a lot of conspiracy sites, and at first it was a lot of the innocent stuff like the moon landing hoax, but eventually you began seeing things about how Obama was mass producing 'eco coffins' for the death camps he was setting up and how there are cemtrails in the sky and so on and so fourth. I remember the eco coffins the most out of everything because there was this big thread about it with pictures as proof and other weird things. It was wild, and had these people not been completely serious, it would be fun to look back upon now for how crazy the whole thing was.
Thank you for sharing your journey to get out of the conspiracy brainwashing, CatDoggo. If you want something similar to TYT panels and discussions, check out The Majority Report with Sam Seder. It's entertaining and timely if not as detailed as the other video essay channels.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for sharing your journey to get out of the conspiracy brainwashing, CatDoggo. If you want something similar to TYT panels and discussions, check out The Majority Report with Sam Seder. It's entertaining and timely if not as detailed as the other video essay channels.

Yep, I'm already subscribed to them too. My current list of 'lefty news Youtube channels' is pretty much TYT, David Pakman Show, Majority Report, and Ring Of Fire.

I'll admit that I'm pretty selective of which TYT clips I watch nowadays and Ana is pretty much the entire reason why I still watch. It's sad to see how much the Trump era has really ground her down though, but it is cathartic when she goes off about how dire things are and ends up putting a lot of my own feelings into words. For all of Cenk's faults, I gotta hand it to him for being able to keep the faith, even to what he admits himself is often a naive degree. He's a good foil to Ana's more grim outlook, if anything else.

On the other hand....The David Pakman show, oof. I got into his show through his amazing interviews, but I've really fallen out of love with the show lately and have been considering dropping it. It really feels like it jumped the shark over the last year. It seems like every other day David is putting out a video complaining about Youtube, and while its true that Youtube is really screwing people over, it gets tiring to hear him hammer it into the ground over and over again. Top that off with how he's been complaining about how his audience is practicing 'cancel culture' on him, or how they're causing him to have to self-censor himself, he's just become more and more obnoxious to listen to. He's been using a lot more clickbaity and misleading titles too, The fact that he's been seriously debating that the left has an 'identity politics' problem has been raising a lot of red flags with me as well. If there's any lefty tuber who has been ruined by the whole adpocalypse thing, it's him, and he can't seem to see or acknowledge that it's his own choices made in reaction to it that's causing the majority of his show's issues.

I've flirted with the idea of seriously cutting down the political content I consume for awhile now since things feel so hopelessly grim at this point that listening to the people I usually keep up with pretty much means just an endless deluge of bad news with no end in sight. If I did go through with it, I think the Majority Report would be the only one I keep since their content is consistently good. They're definitely the best of the bunch.

Aside from the idea of possibly cutting down on this stuff, with Youtube being such a mess, I've been considering moving on to podcasts instead. I keep hearing that political podcasts are significantly better than anything on Youtube, and they obviously aren't hindered by Youtube being Youtube and everyone with a show on there having to conform to fit within it. My one big road block is just that podcasts tend to be way more of a time investment. It's a big difference going from picking a few Youtube videos from these guys to listen to that are usually not much longer than 20 minutes long at worst, to multiple one hour to possibly two hour or longer podcasts.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also want to add that when it comes to conspiracy stuff, I'm still into the idea, but in a-

aliens-georgio.jpg

-kind of way.

There's genuine fun to be had with it but it gets completely dragged down by the people who buy into it completely along with how so many theories ultimately just end up being bigotry with a thin layer of supernatural or sci-fi paint thrown over the top of it, and half the time they don't even bother trying to pretend like it isn't bigotry, especially nowadays.

I often hear how conspiracy places on the net were ruined when Trump happened and they got astroturfed to hell and back, but I'd say they were ruined long before Trump happened. Obama broke them the same way he seemed to break most conservative minds, and they never really recovered from it. There's no room for fun conspiracies when a huge portion of the community is utterly convinced that the scary black man is coming for them, replaced now with pizza pedos and whatever else they're terrified of nowadays.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The Sarah z video made me find a mirror for the Big Joel and Quartering debate

Edit: Joel is too nice

Last edited:

PeacefulDream

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I could be nice to TheQuartering, lol.

New Some More News this morning talking about the Cancel Culture myth.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
Cody Johnston and Katy Stoll (Some More News) are doing a new podcast with Robert Evans (Behind the Bastards, great podcast on shitheads throughout history and fascism in general) titled Worst Year Ever to highlight how shit the road to the 2020 general election in the US will likely be.

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
Cody Johnston and Katy Stoll (Some More News) are doing a new podcast with Robert Evans (Behind the Bastards, great podcast on shitheads throughout history and fascism in general) titled Worst Year Ever to highlight how shit the road to the 2020 general election in the US will likely be.
sweet. been waiting for this for a while... unfortunately since i lost my job i don't keep with with their podcasts as much as i would like to and almost missed it(though i'm sure they would have talked about on Some more news eventually).

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
New video from Jose where he reviews Shapiro's fiction book True Allegiance. Jose warns early on but it really is striking how nakedly Shapiro expresses his contempt for black and brown people. The shit here revolving around the plot line in Detroit specifically is so insanely gross:

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ben Shapiro is a joke, only got popular because people put their feelings of hatred towards trans people and Muslims over facts.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

This was a brilliant vid since we're on a Shapiro streak. The faux intellectualism really does keep him from being treated like the pariah he should be. There's a reason people give guys like Pewdiepie a deservedly hard time for taking the dude seriously and giving him a massive platform. Pretending to be smart carries a lot of sway for the very people Thought Slime references; people uncomfortable with the reality of progressive ideals (genderfluidity, economic & social equality, etc.) but want to hide it by pretending that nature/reality is antithetical to those ideals. Shapiro and his ilk deserve to be forever lampooned because they're no different from those in the KKK. Invested in making the marginalized suffer but choosing instead to wear suits over their robes.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's funny about that intro is Afghanistan is falling to the Taliban...with a conservative war monger in office.

Oops.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
New video from Jose where he reviews Shapiro's fiction book True Allegiance. Jose warns early on but it really is striking how nakedly Shapiro expresses his contempt for black and brown people. The shit here revolving around the plot line in Detroit specifically is so insanely gross:

Chapo trap house did a reading of it and it's great

I love how the plot line over the police shooting that it was a trick by a "race hustler" but the cop still killed a kid over nothing

SimonChris

Oct 27, 2017

Mia Mulder's latest video is really good, with some commentary on lefttube in general. I liked the twist at the end.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
The Sarah z video made me find a mirror for the Big Joel and Quartering debate

Edit: Joel is too nice

Finally got around to watching this. I'm only 50 minutes in, roughly, but some of this just hurts my brain. Just listened to:

Quartering: It think it's bad. I think it doesn't lead to more sales.

Big Joel: Then why do they do it?

Q: Because it's an effective marketing technique.

BJ: That doesn't lead to more sales?

Q: ...not necessarily.

*me rips my hair out*

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Apparently not. Also, despite hearing his name floating around, I've never seen any of his content before. Don't understand why anyone would follow him.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
That's a fair point. This guy definitely seems way more boring, but neither are smart.
They attract an audience of the exact same kinds of people: Self-absorbed bigots with fruitless dull lives who would subscribe and give millions of views to an empty glass jar as long as the audio was a 3 minute loop of nonsense about white supremacy and anti-feminist rhetoric.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
UGH, I think my may throw in my own hat for a video response, Razorfist made a YT video on how the Nazis were socialists and there's a lot to unpack there.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Well, let's just say that ever since the 2016 election he has drifted his video output to being much more about political topics.
Not surprised. The people in his circle are the kind of people I would characterize as the political equivalent of those dudes in your hometown that have never grown up since middle school. They may have the trappings of having changed into an adult like a house and family but are just as stunted in terms of mental and emotional maturity as they were when they were riding the school bus.

Unrelatedly I came across a new Progressive YT creator I hadn't heard of before: Huntress X Thompson. Her channel is great and reminds me a bit of Renegade Cut with her use of media (Film and games in Huntress' case) to illuminate social and political ideals. Sincerely encourage more eyes on her channel. These are two of my favorites thus far:

Oct 25, 2017
made the mistake of clicking on of the associated video's on that last one, went straight to alt-right hell.

Also: deplatforming works.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
made the mistake of clicking on of the associated video's on that last one, went straight to alt-right hell.

Also: deplatforming works.
Doing my best to block those channels once they show up in my recommendations. Every once in a while they keep popping up for me too still but it helps that you can tell their grift simply from some of the thumbnails and/or video titles.

Another progressive YT creator I've just started watching has been Maggie Mae Fish. Hope it hasn't been posted already but her newest vid is the second of what seems to be a set focused on the hypocrisy of the Christian right and the reinforcement of that hypocrisy through Christian film.This time it's about "I'm in love with a church girl" a film with insidious themes about the righteousness of prosperity gospel:

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
First a non-breadtube video, but still dunking on Ben Shapiro's bad opinions, so folks here might be interested:

And of course, new Contra:

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The old mayor of Franklin donoteat has started an engineering disasters podcast, the first episode is

It was initially untitled but now it's called "Well there's your problem" dunno if it's up on podcast networks yet or just YouTube.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Accoun Both of those were great. Thanks for the share. I had somehow missed the new Contra, and I didn't know about the other one.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Dear lord the corporate ball washing is something else in some etc threads. Could give gaming side a run for their money.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I don't see what's hard to understand. Communism works perfectly. That's why the USSR is the dominant country in the world and the USA doesn't exist anymore. You'd have to be a corporate ball washer to think otherwise.
Lol okay.

1 not that it matters but I'm not a communist
2 you don't necessarily need be anti capitalist to not be a corporate sycophant.
3 ???
4 jump to conclusions

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Lol okay.

1 not that it matters but I'm not a communist
2 you don't necessarily need be anti capitalist to not be a corporate sycophant.
3 ???
4 jump to conclusions
lol okay

This is literally a thread where we share leftist youtubes. But keep on washing Stalin's balls if that's what gets you off.