• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I'll answer, sure

I said I wanted a reboot. Turn based rpg. And I would have neutral reaction to a new game.

Last edited:

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Cool, but don't bother doing anything with sequels if you don't bring back Hennig.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Filled in, nice to see them at least floating the notion out there... Id love a sequel somehow (but that would be hard considering some writers and VAs are not at CD/working in the industry anymore)
At very least, a nice remaster of Soul Reaver would be cool. Or a brand new remake that does the original end/scenario of the game. But then I guess that remake would rule out any more Kain in the future... so maybe dont do that.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad "I don't remember" is an option on a lot of the questions because I only played Soul Reaver a long time ago on Dreamcast.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I did my part. Nosgoth 2, let's go.

adbf2r9.png

I'm kidding, please don't devour my soul.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Filled it out.
Lot of questions regarding revival of the series.

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone selects "Multiplayer PvP" from the preferred game style list... I'll slash your tires.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Cool, but don't bother doing anything with sequels if you don't bring back Hennig.
A sequel really isnt needed anyway. Most the main plot points were done after defiance after all this time a sequel just seems like a poor idea. I voted remaster first, since getting them available on modern systems for new players makes the most sense.

Vourlis

Aug 14, 2022
United States
Tell me you're making a Legacy of Kain game without telling me you're making a Legacy of Kain game.

Filled out the survey. Lets goooooo.

Last edited:

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
A sequel really isnt needed anyway. Most the main plot points were done after defiance after all this time a sequel just seems like a poor idea. I voted remaster first, since getting them available on modern systems for new players makes the most sense.

Good point. I also prefer these games on modern platforms.

Fatal Nutritionist

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 18, 2022
do young people even remember that franchise anymore? lol

Crystal Dynamics pre modem Tomb Raider is now less known than Crystal Dynamic during the 3DO,.It's like Legacy of Kain fell off the planet and barely talked about same with any other games during that interim..

I think it's a cult classic series like Shenmue where people may allege no one cares, but it has its fans.

Legacy of Kain 1 and 2 sold almost 4 million units together they weren't anything close to cult like Shenmue. Its like when people say gex is a failed mascot when it was a resounding success with over 15M sold with only 3 games.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I had always wanted to play Soul Reaver so I gave it a shot on a Dreamcast emulator a few weeks ago. It is very "year 2000ish 3D action game" to the point that I was having negative flashbacks to what most games in that era were actually like vs. my memory of the best games. I'm sure it's fine, but it sure didn't age super well.

Fatal Nutritionist

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 18, 2022
Did the old games aged well?

I never played them.

The first one did, the others were just lacking ambition and where trying to copy other games under the same brand. For some people it worked with Soul Reaver 1 in the past but not the other games, but going back Soul Reaver is an average titles cloning various aspects from better games.

Silicon Knights made the first one and ended up in legal battle with Gex Dynamics over the right, which years later they ceded because they were circuling the drain. Microsoft reportedly almost brought them until Too Human came out.

They complained about how the series ended up in a bad direction after the first game and I agree.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Cool I want to play this series but it's a headache on current hardware. Let my thoughts be known to them.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Please. I just want to finish the story 😭

I put reboot as my third least favourite, but I want a soft reboot, like what Doctor Who did.

A soft reboot would probably be best. Would allow a new fanbase to join in while perhaps still answering a lot of the questions that still linger.
After Reboot, I put a remake though. I don't think a simple remaster (Unless it was in addition to something bigger) would be the right move to bring the series back.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
A soft reboot would probably be best. Would allow a new fanbase to join in while perhaps still answering a lot of the questions that still linger.
After Reboot, I put a remake though. I don't think a simple remaster (Unless it was in addition to something bigger) would be the right move to bring the series back.
Some of the original voice actors have passed like Tony Jay, Paul Lutherker and Rene Auberjonois, I'd like a new main character, villain and the other voice actors in supporting roles. I guess the story would be the elder god devolved into a virus in order to survive, or something after his defeat in LOK Defiance, and the villain is a herald of the citadel or whatever, carrying on his dark legacy.

Aug 19, 2022
I told them I think something like Darksiders or earlier Zelda would still be the way to go for the franchise. Big dungeons, focus on narrative and semi-deep character-action game combat. Would love to see something like Soul Reaver 2 with a bit more spit polish in the modern day.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I'd be sad if they went hard reboot on the original continuity and leave it without a proper conclusion. Hope they either kickstart things with a remake or with a soft reboot that's actually more of a stealth sequel.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I voted for Sequel, but in reality, a soft-reboot would likely be ideal. It would be super cool to see them take it all the way back to Blood Omen, that game needs a remake the most, but I'd be happy if they just went back to Soul Reaver 1. I'm sitting here imagining a new LOK game done by modern CD in UE5, and that just sounds like more than I would have ever expected.

As far as gameplay is concerned, I'm thinking:
- Exploration-heavy Metroidvania, with an interconnected world ( more like the OG Soul Reaver/ Dark Souls, rather than segmented levels like SW: Fallen Order)
- Combat is more Soulslike than God of War, but easier than Dark Souls (or has difficulty settings?)
- Still has blood-sucking or Soul Devouring
- It should have some sort of unique shifting mechanic: Shape-shifting, plane-shifting, or time shifting? (I really want parralel worlds where you can phase-shift between dimensions, and each world morphs or shifts into something different/ strange, but reminiscent)
- It should be a thoughtful game. Exploring your environments might take a bit of a keen eye, have some unique and useful items to find, and could have some lite puzzles, but I'd rather they avoid too many box pushing puzzles
- Would be awesome to have some cool and unique traversal mechanics
- I wouldn't be sad if they included Stealth. I think it would potentially work great to have enemy awareness, be able to sneak and listen to conversations, be able to climb onto rooftops, stealth kills, looting.
- The game must also nail the atmosphere, have a similar narrative style, have cool characters, and at least one elder god ;)

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I also mentioned I would like to see remasters, just not with as the next Big Thing. I do want the original games to be made more accessible, let Night Dive go wild on em thank you 🙏

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
So simple remasters wouldn't work.
Eh, there have certainly been much worse games/games that have aged worse that have had remasters. They all hold up absolutely fine, well except Blood Omen 2 because lol Blood Omen 2, but that's kind of the problem, because they hold up absolutely fine already. Aside from Soul Reaver which got delisted temporarily for fixes (but for ages now), they're all available on PC, and the 3D games can already be played at modern standards.

The ideal thing for me would be a Blood Omen visual remake. That's it. Maybe get Nightdive on Soul Reaver, and put them all on consoles. It needs nothing fancy really, and they absolutely shouldn't touch the audio side of things.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Give me a sequel to Defiance with Kain as a protagonist wielding the Soul Reaver (Raziel doesn't need to return, his story cycle is finished) with soulslike and metroidvania design.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
What has prevented me from enjoying a vampire game, that was easy, focus on competitive multiplayer lol