• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Legacy is 22Cans' fourth title - following on from the fairly well-received hiking oddity The Trail, the ill-fated Godus, and the largely inexplicable cube-prodding weirdness of Curiosity - and its unveiling comes via a lengthy, if somewhat light on detail, video reveal from Red Bull Gaming, which you can see below.

In the video, Molyneux explains that Legacy is inspired by his first-ever game, The Entrepreneur - a sim, released in 1984, about growing a business. Legacy considerably fleshes out that early idea, initially casting players as small-time inventors squirrelled away in a garage workshop.

What follows appears to be a game of two distinct, but interlocking halves - the first, unfolding directly within the workshop, focussed on creative freedom. Here, players are able to combine various pre-fabricated building elements to create anything that takes their fancy - whether that be a toy bear, a telephone, or something more outlandish. At a certain point, however, Legacy shifts gears and turns into an experience more closely resembling an industrialist sim.

Once those early inventions begin to sell in sufficient numbers, players will need to start focussing on expanding their business empire, hiring workers, securing resources, and building factories to keep up with public demand. Eventually, certain moral conundrums will emerge, forcing players to make decisions about whether they're a good employer or bad employer as they climb the ladder toward corporate supremacy.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...n-workshop-tinkering-industrialist-sim-legacy

jpg

legacy.900x.jpg

legacy.original.jpg

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
As with all Molyneux projects it sounds amazing conceptually.

You just have to hold your breath and hope it comes together. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

One to watch.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda nice that mobile UI best practices are so strict that you can easily avoid premium currency trash like this.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
I can't wait to play this so my virtual business can run a crowdfunding campaign and never deliver the product.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like every other mobile "tycoon" "game".

Am I missing the hook? Is it just that you can make a 3D model of the thing you sell?

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Every time i see his name i consider installing Black And White and playing for a bit like i'm back in high school.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I wonder what creative ways to dupe, shortchange and disappoint players he will come up with this time *grabs popcorn*

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fucking Stefan Molyneux, he's forever tarnished the Molyneux name so I always have him jump to my mind whenever I see it. I didn't even know Peter Molyneux was still in the gaming industry.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
As with all Molyneux projects it sounds amazing conceptually.

You just have to hold your breath and hope it comes together. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

One to watch.

uh, actually, you don't have to hold your breath. you're also free to simply keep living your life, & giving pete all the time in the world to either eventually deliver the goods, or (far more likely, at this point) just evaporate into thin air again :) ...

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
is this going be released as a fully product first or is it still going through the kickstarter or free2play model?

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It is really sad seeing Peter destined to these shitty mobile games or just outright trash ideas that are slight tweaks to his old designs. The man is a genius despite his bad history, and he is the grandfather of god games. The man has talent, just needs to get off this bandwagon and go do something unique again that has thought behind it and passion.

Deleted member 39587

Banned
Feb 6, 2018
It is really sad seeing Peter destined to these shitty mobile games or just outright trash ideas that are slight tweaks to his old designs. The man is a genius despite his bad history, and he is the grandfather of god games. The man has talent, just needs to get off this bandwagon and go do something unique again that has thought behind it and passion.
idk, this one actually looks kinda cool

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
idk, this one actually looks kinda cool
Don't get me wrong, it does look interesting but breaking it down it is just another of the long line of god games seen so rapidly on mobile gaming. Many are in the same tune of "farming" or "factory" building ecosystems that it really starts to blend together when trying to even be unique. I'd like him to do a leap like with Fable, something out of his typical space (that cube game is not a game).

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Godus could have been so good if they'd cut the mobile timers and "tapping" to get resources stuff out. Basically if it had just been a Sim City/Populous game without the IAP crap.
Controlled fairly well and had a good artstyle.

I still remember playing it for 30 minutes or so when it was mainly tutorial and thinking it could be great, then went to build something and it was going to take a real world day to finish. Then budings required whatever the reaource/currency was to build and that required waiting hours before you could tap to get more.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I really want to like Molyneux but the guy is just basically a con-artist at this point.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
"Lengthy, if somewhat light on detail" feels like a good way to describe most Molyneux pitches.

I won't lie, it took me a long time to realize his next game wasn't called "I Levels."

Those are pretty much all the thoughts I had about this. I'll wait for the actual game and reviews to materialize.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The editing in this video is insane. Game looks interesting. The UI has me worried about shenanigans though.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I have to say it's almost admirable how Molyneux has managed to squeeze an entire career out of conning Commodore all those years ago.

Miscend

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Genius? Please his games are just alright

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
What follows appears to be a game of two distinct, but interlocking halves -
Reality: Two levels. A garage inc, and a industry sim.

the first, unfolding directly within the workshop, focussed on creative freedom. Here, players are able to combine various pre-fabricated building elements to create anything that takes their fancy - whether that be a toy bear, a telephone, or something more outlandish.
Reality: Pre chosen wares like a toy bear, a telephone, or something akin to a car.

At a certain point, however, Legacy shifts gears and turns into an experience more closely resembling an industrialist sim.
Reality: Level 2

Once those early inventions begin to sell in sufficient numbers, players will need to start focussing on expanding their business empire, hiring workers, securing resources, and building factories to keep up with public demand.
Reality: A tycoon sim.

Eventually, certain moral conundrums will emerge, forcing players to make decisions about whether they're a good employer or bad employer as they climb the ladder toward corporate supremacy.
Reality: This will be out of the game when it releases.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
No Peter, just... no.

I personally turned Godus Wars into a fucking meme about lying, and here is the same snake oil man, doing his bit again. You will not get money from me again.

WildWayz

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Massive fan of Bullfrog games... then Godus came along... was looking forward to it. He then abandoned it and released Godus Wars.
Never again will I buy into his bullshit.

From Hero to Zero, in my book

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Nah. His work in the late 80's and early 90's built a genre. Populous, powermonger and populous 2 are great games.

He deserves respect even if he was later swallowed up into a corporate world and allowed himself to be swayed away from his earlier principles and ideas....

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
This remembers me of how divisive was 'The Trail', I almost forget that it was released in Switch.

Some people was enthusiast about the game, and some people hated it to death.

I'm still intrigued by the premise and will buy the game if it ever has a sale on the eShop.

I consider that even when Molyneux releases a flawed game, a flawed game made by him is still more interesting that any triple A production in the market.

A lot of times he fails, because he's trying to do new things or exploring new concepts.

And I also think that he is better when he tries to do small productions. Instead of trying to create big productions.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
This. Wish he was still involved with console gaming.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
As always with Peter, we should cover our ears, shouting "lalalalalala I don't hear anything" until the game actually releases and then judge the real package. At this point, I don't even want to know what he's working on, just give me the release date.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Populous has literally created the god-sim genre all by itself.
Both Theme Park and Theme Hospital are brilliant, brilliant, brilliant games and also genre creators because they're STILL making various theme park-inspired games to this very day.
Dungeon Keeper -- a game that is SO out there and is so completely original it doesn't have a genre except for "dungeon keeper".

Molyneux's Bullfrog output at least is nothing but impeccable.

Somewhat offtopic, but hey -- have you read recent Nintendo Life feature on Populous? It's pretty good.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Didn't really get that much info about the game itself, but it seems to be quite personal game for Molyneux. He talked about his father a lot. Slightly curious about this.
Populous has literally created the god-sim genre all by itself.
Both Theme Park and Theme Hospital are brilliant, brilliant, brilliant games and also genre creators because they're STILL making various theme park-inspired games to this very day.
Dungeon Keeper -- a game that is SO out there and is so completely original it doesn't have a genre except for "dungeon keeper".

Molyneux's Bullfrog output at least is nothing but impeccable.

Somewhat offtopic, but hey -- have you read recent Nintendo Life feature on Populous? It's pretty good.
100% correct. I even loved Syndicate when it came out, though it's not quite as timeless as Populous and Theme Park are. But even Syndicate was pushing boundaries when it was released. (Molyneux was just a producer though)

And indeed, spiritual successor to Theme Hospital was one of the best games released last year. So the legacy lives on.

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
I've missed Peter. He's done a lot of extraordinary work. I'll take his over-ambition over the banality of modern corporate gaming any day. I remember my creature picking up some truly bizarre habits in Black & White, then going online and spending hours laughing hysterically at all the stories people had written about odd lessons the creature had learned and the insane behaviors it could result in. That kind of emergent madness was something special that people like Molyneux and Will Wright brought to their games. I see these guys as old school techno Utopians who always reach for a truly ambitious concept. Perhaps they'll miss completely, but it's usually a miss more interesting than many hits.

This seems interesting. I can't help but wish he was doing another big game though. I'd like to see him on a big state at E3 again.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

His legacy is great but I think he's past his prime - we've seen it happen to film directors, and the same can apply here.

the bullfrog library can be had on GOG btw, great stuff to revisit.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I still wish him the best. As long as he shuts the fuck up and delivers a game with depth.

Everything in the last 10 years has been so shallow and based on a gimmick that tires quickly.

TrueBroLapp

Nov 7, 2018
I have no desire to buy any of their games while Godus is still in early access.
It's disappointing that they gave up on it, because I found it quite fun to play, and I felt like it could have become a really good God game.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Will this be a life changing shitstorm?

Edir. Holy fucking shit that guy is so full of himself. How does he have the balls to do these videos..?