• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you love Halo, Marty O'Donnell needs no introduction. Back in the day, he composed all of the iconic tunes (along with Michael Salvatori) featured throughout the series and eventually moved across to Destiny, which was also developed by Bungie.

In somewhat sad news, he's today shared a message on social media mentioning how he's thinking about retiring from the video game industry for good.

I'm thinking about retiring from the games industry for good.
— Marty O'Donnell (@MartyTheElder)
June 4, 2021

Here's where it gets interesting, though. In a follow-up tweet, he said he would soon be "forced" to shut down his entire YouTube channel. And then in another tweet, he told fans to "ask Pete Parsons" about what's going on. Parsons, in case you didn't know, happens to be the CEO of Bungie.

Screenshot_2021-06-03_Martin_ODonnell.png

jlggYyw.png

Not sure what the specifics of this are but he has been uploading alot of content both Destiny and Halo related that he may not necessarily completely own. Not really anything concrete available to point to any sort of lawsuit as of yet either. But Marty at times let's his ego get out of control such as when he tried to get fans to harass subreddit moderators last year.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah I was going to say, he's definitely published some behind the scenes stuff to his channel.
But also it's been 20 years since some of this content, so you'd really have to be holding a grudge to go after him.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No doubt Bungie holds a grudge after the wrongful dismissal situation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Marty burned a lot of bridges over the past decade, and I seem to remember him being kind of a bastard on top of that. Still, it's weird to (if true) see Bungie be so vengeful in pursuing him after the fact.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
He's allegedly a pretty shitty person and has said a few sus things on social media, so honestly, good.

Oh and not to mention he still associates with Jeremy Soule after the rape allegations

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Dude's been pretty pompous on Reddit over the years like you said OP. He's undeniably talented but that doesn't excuse poor behaviour.

I certainly wouldn't jump to his defence without hearing more info…

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude's been pretty pompous on Reddit over the years like you said OP. He's undeniably talented but that doesn't excuse poor behaviour.

I certainly wouldn't jump to his defence without hearing more info…
Agreed.

It was easy to take his side with the Bungie termination fiasco but there are too many unknowns here and he has had alot of bad takes in recent years.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
i'm assuming the looming legal stuff he's talking about involves all that music of the spheres drama circa D1.

legendary talent but by all accounts a dick

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
It would be shame for all of his YT content to disappear. Lots of great insight on the production process behind the music of Halo and Destiny.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I was going to say, he's definitely published some behind the scenes stuff to his channel.
But also it's been 20 years since some of this content, so you'd really have to be holding a grudge to go after him.
If you pay someone for their services, it doesn't matter how long the time has passed, if you don't give them permission to post something then they shouldn't be doing it.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah I have no problem with this, can't imagine him working with any big games anymore anyway. Especially with the Six days in Fallujah mess

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Met him in person several times at many events and was always kind to me.
*shrugs*

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
He created some of the most iconic video game music but also seems problematic.

Probably best for everyone for him to move on.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Marty has made so many wild mistakes in the last couple of years that getting out of the spotlight sounds like a grand idea for him.

I mean he's currently working on Six Days in Fallujah. What the fuck are you thinking, Marty?

*shrugs*
Yeah, I met him back when he was at Bungie, and saw him at a dev party a couple years later. Dude was an absolute gentleman. That doesn't make up for the mistakes.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
*shrugs*

I met him once. He had no reason to talk to me. I mentioned how much I enjoyed his music and we got into a 10 min chat. Guy was super engaged and genuine.

He may secretly be an asshole but all these hot takes on someone you've never met based on 'sus' just screams mob rule to me.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Marty has made so many wild mistakes in the last couple of years that getting out of the spotlight sounds like a grand idea for him.

I mean he's currently working on Six Days in Fallujah. What the fuck are you thinking, Marty?

Yeah, I met him back when he was at Bungie, and saw him at a dev party a couple years later. Dude was an absolute gentleman. That doesn't make up for the mistakes.
I was probably at that same party tbh. A lot of Halo events.
I wanted to play his PSVR game and probably will get to it.

As for Six Days...it's one of those situations where, though I personally view it as a war crime and an unprovoked invasion of people(US had no business being in Iraq at all) Iraq, it's one of those situations where I kind of want to see what will become of the final experience. The US soldiers at the time were completely indoctrinated into that post 9/11 nationalism ideology of "delivering the middle east freedom." I never liked the actions at all, and I'm academically curious how these people who viewed themselves as "The Heroes" will justify their actions in the testimonials.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
I met him once. He had no reason to talk to me. I mentioned how much I enjoyed his music and we got into a 10 min chat. Guy was super engaged and genuine.

He may secretly be an asshole but all these hot takes on someone you've never met based on 'sus' just screams mob rule to me.

This is the internet my friend! I'm going to have to insist that your confidently assert a generality, preferably in absolute terms, about another person or you can leave! ;P

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I've met the guy a few times. He was always very kind to me and had a lot of great stories to tell and would take the time to share. I remember he even remembered my friend's name after a few years and asked how things were going, etc. He was super into music production back when Marty was at Bungie, so it gave him a lot of confidence to keep pursuing the career. Someone should back up the videos on his YouTube, there's a ton of really great content there.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017

The word "Allegedly" is a very dangerous one...

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
i always hated that the Halo games and Destiny didn't let you adjust the volume of the music or turn it off completely. apparently it was because Marty was so precious about his 'art' that he refused to let it be tampered with, despite the myriad of sound systems people were playing the games on.

fuck off, get over yourself

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I'm really mad at Bungie now, first they take down years of effort for a concept art kinda of soundtrack that fans discovered, then they release as a vinyl set ONLY (talk how insulting that is) which is not even for sale anymore. I don't understand this hateboner they have for Marty's work.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
i always hated that the Halo games and Destiny didn't let you adjust the volume of the music or turn it off completely. apparently it was because Marty was so precious about his 'art' that he refused to let it be tampered with, despite the myriad of sound systems people were playing the games on.

You can adjust the music volume on Destiny, he only complained about trailers not featuring the soundtrack.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017

i will say though that i never felt it was too loud or quiet so i guess he at least nailed that aspect.

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
That Steve Vai halo video though that should just be allowed to stay on Youtube regardless of who owns it, because, what a cool piece of history.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In his defense the Bungie Halo games had perfect audio mixing so he wasn't wrong.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Ah, Martin O'Donnell. His music is like Eurodance. Everybody enjoys it, but nobody misses it when it's gone. Which is ok. So many talented people who make great music who aren't conservative assholes so nothing of value was lost.

In other words:
byebitchh8kue.gif

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, Martin O'Donnell. His music is like Eurodance. Everybody enjoys it, but nobody misses it when it's gone. Which is ok. So many talented people who make great music who aren't conservative assholes so nothing of value was lost.

In other words:
byebitchh8kue.gif
Don't know about you but plenty of Halo fans have been wanting him to come back to Halo.

Aia

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Legendary? I don't think so.

Memorable few tracks? Sure.

Time to move on.

Oct 26, 2017
Love his work but his love for Trump, slut shamming Stormy Daniels and whining about anti- make toxicity really put me off from being remotely interested in him as a person. Hope he finds what he's looking for.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legendary? I don't think so.

Memorable few tracks? Sure.

Time to move on.
Marty is indeed considered a legendary videogame composer. With Halo he and Michael Salvatori's work on Halo they helped make videogame soundtracks mainstream. He even worked Paul fucking McCartney of The Beatles.

You don't need to downplay his work just because he has idiotic conservative beliefs.

Aia

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Marty is indeed considered a legendary videogame composer. With Halo he and Michael Salvatori's work on Halo they helped make videogame soundtracks mainstream. He even worked Paul fucking McCartney of The Beatles.

You don't need to downplay his work just because he has idiotic conservative beliefs.
I am not downplaying his work.. And I don't even know what he did bad to begin with.. I just know that he made a few good tracks in one franchise so calling him legendary for that is too much. He helped made gaming soundtracks mainstream? What?

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not downplaying his work.. And I don't even know what he did bad to begin with.. I just know that he made a few good tracks in one franchise so calling him legendary for that is too much. He helped made gaming soundtracks mainstream? What?
The Halo soundtracks were the first to chart on billboard from my understanding. Before Halo it was considered a niche genre of music. Nile Rodgers even recognized it when he heard the music while producing Maroon 5 .

Last edited:

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
dude definitely has weirdo conservative old man takes and I 100 percent believe the rumors of him being a diva to work with

Winter Contingency slaps tho, and the ODST soundtrack is a marvel to this day. He was talented for sure, shame about all the other stuff.