• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

The Pokémon Company said:
In celebration of the amazing power of Legendary Pokémon, look forward to opportunities to obtain these magnificent Pokémon over the course of the year. Every one of the Pokémon you'll get for your Pokémon Ultra Sun, Pokémon Ultra Moon, Pokémon Sun, or Pokémon Moon game is at least level 60 and will know awesome moves to help you dominate in battle! Plus, they may be holding a valuable Gold Bottle Cap to let you maximize the individual strengths of one of your Pokémon via Hyper Training.

Have fun collecting and battling with these awesome Legendary Pokémon all year long!

As for what Pokémon will be distributed for each month, they'll be...
  • February: Palkia or Dialga
  • March: Heatran or Regigigas
  • April: Raikou or Entei
  • May: Xerneas or Yveltal
  • June: Shiny Zygarde
  • July: Tornadus or Thundurus
  • August: Groudon or Kyogre
  • September: Latios or Latias
  • October: Reshiram or Zekrom
  • November: Ho-oh or Lugia

This Pokémon Legendary event will also extend to the trading card game.

Sources: Pokémon (YouTube), Legendary Pokémon Celebration website

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Is it going to be mixed methods again? Where we have to visit Gamestop for some months?

STGHMAAV

Oct 26, 2017
I can see people saying no December because Pokémon on Switch.

Btw, super excited for May and its shiny Zygarde. I don't like it that much, but I love that Pokémon.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Didn't they just do this throughout 2017?

Or those were different legendaries I suppose.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Why is it one or another each month? Is it the Legendary that's not in the game? Or is it randomized?

syncyes

Oct 27, 2017
Ctrl + F Diancie

:(

The only legendary I'm missing, and the only Pokemon I need to complete my living dex :(

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dang was hoping for Mythicals. Wonder why they're releasing Legends already in the game.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck physical events that are county limited/specific. Hopefully this will be online but I'm not holding my breath.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Eh, Shiny Zygarde is hype but there at least could be one mythical in there.

These legendaries just aren't that big of a deal anymore when you can catch pretty much all of them in the recent games

Jonovision

Oct 30, 2017
You can get all these guys in the Ultra Wormhole anyway, even shiny. Should have added mythical Pokemon since they are the elusive ones.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Nice that they are doing this, but the fact they are distributing in game legendary Pokemon and not mythical ones means this isn't a big deal for me. The Shiny Zygarde is nice.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Legendary pokemon are so lame at this point. And just handing them out like this... or the ease of acquiring them in Alpha Ruby / Sapphire... it devalues and demeans them. Each should have a questline associated with it, and if you want to add one to the game you add a quest to get it. But that would require effort.

This is an example of the bloated amount of pokemon hurting the game.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
How will these be distributed? Mystery Gift? Cards at Gamestop?

Edit: Just checked and Palkia/Dialga will be at GS. Not only that you only get Palkia if you have Sun/US and Dialga if you have Moon/UM. That's lame :(

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neat!
Why is it or (so only one) and not both? Do you get the opposite of wich you could catch ingame? Or can you choose?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Legendary pokemon are so lame at this point. And just handing them out like this... or the ease of acquiring them in Alpha Ruby / Sapphire... it devalues and demeans them. Each should have a questline associated with it, and if you want to add one to the game you add a quest to get it. But that would require effort.

This is an example of the bloated amount of pokemon hurting the game.

In Johto there were literally legendaries appearing randomly on the map

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Does this hurt the chances of Pokémon Switch this year ?
Eeeeeh. Last time this happened was in 2016 for the 20th Anniversary, so its unknown if that was because SM was coming or because they wanted to celebrate. Personally, this seems like a move for people to complete their Dexes this year so when Pokemon Switch happens in 2019 they can migrate stuff over, and its likely an extension to promote USUM, giving you the legendary not in game. Also gives me hope that if they are prepping you to have a full bank by the time Gen 8 hits, then maybe we will see them pull another gen 5, just New Pokemon straight up. But yeah, this definitely seems like 2019 is the year, and its gonna be gen 8, because legendaries are reserved as post game content.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wish Gamefreak would go back to event based legendaries, and give out the item requirement for them. It's nice to get these but it makes them feel less special.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it's the legendary that's not available in which ever version you have.
Is this a US/UM thing only, or do I need to finally finish Moon?
It seems to be US/UM only from preliminary Google results, so I'll still be missing half of them. I'd rather just get to choose which of the two I get, in that case. I want some from both lists. :/

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a US/UM thing only, or do I need to finally finish Moon?
It seems to be US/UM only from preliminary Google results, so I'll still be missing half of them. I'd rather just get to choose which of the two I get, in that case. I want some from both lists. :/

Quote on OP says Sun and Moon also.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

bAjxhTH.gif

I can see people saying no December because Pokémon on Switch.

I would say it's probably because they are saving December for Zeraora.

Does this hurt the chances of Pokémon Switch this year ?

It's unrelated to Pokémon Switch release date.

My memories of legendary hunting are to hate what it took to make a Fast Ball and hate that so many had Recover

Well no wonder you had a rough time, Kurts balls are bugged so you may as well been using Pokéball.

The best was Sinnoh, all those ingame events that you needed to get items to start and then you can catch a legendary or mythical. Emerald did this too with the islands thing.

Yeah, gen 3-5 did great in fleshing out the event Pokémon and tying them into the game itself even if you didn't had the event, you could tell that they were hinting at a rare special Pokémon.

Gen 6 and 7 don't even bother and as a result I forget that they even exist.

I mean does anyone even remember that Magearna is actually part of the Alolan Pokédex?

Last edited:

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Quote on OP says Sun and Moon also.
I meant the ability to catch old legendaries. If they are giving out "only the ones that aren't available in your version" but only Ultra Sun/Moon have any available, then I'd still be missing the Moon half if they give me the Sun ones in the event.
I never did beat the Elite Four so I don't know if this is also a postgame thing in regular Sun/Moon or just an Ultra Sun/Moon thing.