• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I like Expeditions more than I was expecting. Never enjoyed Arena in HS but I like how you can refine your deck the more wins you get. I'm currently 5, 7, 7, and just waiting to draft my fourth trial.

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, thanks. And it looks like I'll be 11/12...

EU Gang!

The progress towards those vaults is not going to be easy, racking up all that XP weekly :( I hope I can pull 2-3 Expeditions because those give a burst of XP (as long as I am winning). 2000 max per Trial, so if I do 3 Expeditions, 12000 maximum. For the basic clown that I am, I think 6000-8000 range is likely.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Re: Vault rewards

Each level above 10 just gives you a capsule of 4 commons + 1 rare and a handful of dust. Unclear how much due to the dust nerfs, but presumably <250, which was in the original graphic.

I realized that there's no point in saving XP unless I didn't think I was getting lv 10 next week. The rewards for 10 -> 11 -> 12 -> 13 are the same for each upgrade, so going from 12 -> 13 this week is the same as 10 -> 11 next week.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I've been playing swim's Braum/Vlad midrange deck, and let me tell you, that is the most complex deck I think I've ever played in any card game. Every combat is a massive puzzle of trying to maximize damage.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Well I've been having the worst luck with Matchups and intial deck rolls. Is a Demacia-Noxus deck just not viable?

Also it seems like everyone I lose against has a "Gimmick" of sorts going for them that they tripled down on - Particularly flooding their deck with Recall or Barrier cards and having them be a Hard-Counter to basically everything my D/N deck can throw at them. Should I be following their lead and maximizing the amount of LOLNO cards in my deck?

Recurring pattern so far for me in lost matches has been being able to Blitzkrieg the other sides Nexus down to 10 or lower during the early rounds before the high-cost cards come into play without them ever touching my Nexus, but then getting steamrolled after that point readily.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Well I've been having the worst luck with Matchups and intial deck rolls. Is a Demacia-Noxus deck just not viable?

Also it seems like everyone I lose against has a "Gimmick" of sorts going for them that they tripled down on - Particularly flooding their deck with Recall or Barrier cards and having them be a Hard-Counter to basically everything my D/N deck can throw at them. Should I be following their lead and maximizing the amount of LOLNO cards in my deck?

post your decklist, let's take a look

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I've been playing swim's Braum/Vlad midrange deck, and let me tell you, that is the most complex deck I think I've ever played in any card game. Every combat is a massive puzzle of trying to maximize damage.
I've been playing a similar list that I worked on in the closed beta periods and if the oracle sight thing didn't exist, I'd be lost lol. I can't tell you how many unexpecting players don't use that thing and are shocked when they take 50 dmg in 1 attack phase

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
post your decklist, let's take a look

Sure, here's my deck import code: CEAAEBYBAMCQYFY2EYXDOBYBAABREFA3DUTCOAQGAEAAODAWFIWDGBQBAMBAIBQJCYZQ

It's obviously got some pretty glaring flaws in it, only winning about half my matches with it. Probably going to remove the "Can't Block" cards in favor of something else since in practice and intent they seem only good for an early-game Blitzkrieg and little else.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I gotta say, I was pretty down on Piltover in the closed beta, but it's been a decent splash for me. I'm running a Freljord midrange deck, and I include Piltover for the spot removal, not even the champions. Mystic Shot, the X-mana beam card, and Braum have just blown out early aggro and midrange threats, allowing my Trynd to close the game out.

iosefe

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Where the sun shines
Final reached Vault level 10. the win that got me there was stressful as hell until i got a helpful draw of some Overwhelm. i had only 3 HP left by the end.

the expedition would possibly get me to 11, i assume? or should i save my token for next week

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can I cheese the vault with PvE surrenders if I don't have the time to do it properly ?

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I've been playing a similar list that I worked on in the closed beta periods and if the oracle sight thing didn't exist, I'd be lost lol. I can't tell you how many unexpecting players don't use that thing and are shocked when they take 50 dmg in 1 attack phase

That's the way I am. Using the Oracle has won me several games. At the same time, there's been games where I've actually punted with lethal in the attack step and just didn't use my Transfusion correctly or my Death Lotus. It's insanely complex.

iosefe

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Where the sun shines
unknown.png

so thats Trial 1. that second loss was a Heim teemo build. he didn't attack me once my deck was seeded, and i died to a shroom

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Got my level 13. Gonna leave it at that for today. Zed/Heracim can take a break for a bit. Tomorrow hopefully I can build something new.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
Got a great moment yesterday in a game. I had my levelup Tryndamere + 1/1 health followers, I can't remember how many. The point is I had to put everything to block his attack and I would lose everything including Tryndamere due to a quick attack. He even used the Braum (goodbye/hello) emoji for BM.

Except... I had judgement, ended up cleaning the board. Then he used the crying Poro emoji.

Obviously, next round I opened with attack and won, lol.

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

so thats Trial 1. that second loss was a Heim teemo build. he didn't attack me once my deck was seeded, and i died to a shroom
I suck at drafting. Is there a resource that can help? Even after memorizing like every card in the hearthstone base game I still couldn't figure it out there either.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Man I suck at this game. I've been getting whopped every match

The game is incredibly complex, more so than most card games I've played. There's an insane amount of depth in combat that takes a bit to wrap your head around, but then once you do, it sort of clicks.

On another note: are you using the Oracle? If not, make sure and use it OFTEN. It's probably the most powerful tool at your disposal on any given turn, especially turns 5-9.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Got a great moment yesterday in a game. I had my levelup Tryndamere + 1/1 health followers, I can't remember how many. The point is I had to put everything to block his attack and I would lose everything including Tryndamere due to a quick attack. He even used the Braum (goodbye/hello) emoji for BM.

Except... I had judgement, ended up cleaning the board. Then he used the crying Poro emoji.

Obviously, next round I opened with attack and won, lol.
Offensive gg emoters are the worse, but situations like this where you can stuff their shit back in their face feel so satisfying.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I suck at drafting. Is there a resource that can help? Even after memorizing like every card in the hearthstone base game I still couldn't figure it out there either.

(This is coming from someone with a few Expeditions under their belt, but multiple Day 2 Limited GPs in MTG)

Drafting is something that takes time. Becoming a good drafter is all about doing it over, and over, and over... Then you start to understand the synergies.

Another good tip is to follow the BREAD model. Though this is an MTG article, BREAD is universal in Drafting modes.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
In simplest terms for drafting in a CCG you want the most value out of every card rather than going for a strong strategy off the bat. As the game develops there will definitely be strong strategies but it's early on and keeping it simple should work. So for example a minion with great stats that has simple positives like healing or adding +1/+1 would be a better value than something with tons of spider synergy because you may not draft any other spider cards. Then there are just cards that are almost always good like high damage or removal cards and champions with easy quests to fulfill.

I like this MTG drafting guide. Check out the Bread and butter section. Same ideas but different game. https://draftsim.com/mtg-arena-draft-guide/#Drafting_Tips_and_Tricks

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend just watching some good players do it sometime.
Drafting is kind of an art that you just have to learn over time. You can learn what the best cards are in a bubble, but if you don't learn which cards play the best with each other you could still end up with a poor deck as a lot of times in a draft the best individual card isn't what is best for your deck. (though runeterra seems a bit more focused with the card packs, so it might be more true to just pick the best cards)

edit: as the two before me pointed out though, just grab the best cards early on because you don't know what your deck will do until a bit later :P

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
oh my god, fuck teemo

i had 8 hp, and died on my the moment i drew a card

Yesterday I played against a mushroom deck. As soon as I saw that he used Puffcap Peddler, I made sure to shut that shit down as fast as possible, ended up taking down 2 of the puffcap peddler's (he still had one in the board). But I also always had at least 2 challenger units on my board to kill Teemo if he dared to summon him.

While I could have taken the remaining Puffcap Peddler with one of the challenger units, I didn't want to lose one and be left with a single challenger unit on the board. I really didn't want to risk him summoning Teemo and using a card to recall/kill the last challenger unit.

iosefe

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Where the sun shines
Yesterday I played against a mushroom deck. As soon as I saw that he used Puffcap Peddler, I made sure to shut that shit down as fast as possible, ended up taking down 2 of the puffcap peddler's (he still had one in the board). But I also always had at least 2 challenger units on my board to kill Teemo if he dared to summon him.

While I could have taken the remaining Puffcap Peddler with one of the challenger units, I didn't want to lose one and be left with a single challenger unit on the board. I really didn't want to risk him summoning Teemo and using a card to recall/kill the last challenger unit.
my teemo got really lucky with his draws, and i didn't get enough challengers in time.

anyway, trial ended at 4 wins. this is tough. need more shards so i can do another eventually. Elusives ruined me

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
When did you start? The first twenty matches I think I lost every one. It'll all come together for you eventually and you'll begin to stomp people back.

And I was watching Zetalot this morning and Shadow Isles is no joke.
I started on Saturday. Played all the tutorials and copied some deck I found online and used my cards as best as I could to match lol

Played 3 matches against people and I just got destroyed.

The game is incredibly complex, more so than most card games I've played. There's an insane amount of depth in combat that takes a bit to wrap your head around, but then once you do, it sort of clicks.

On another note: are you using the Oracle? If not, make sure and use it OFTEN. It's probably the most powerful tool at your disposal on any given turn, especially turns 5-9.
Wahts the Oracle? lol I haven't seent any mention of it in game. Haven't caught any streams either which I'll probably do later tonight.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I started on Saturday. Played all the tutorials and copied some deck I found online and used my cards as best as I could to match lol

Played 3 matches against people and I just got destroyed.

Wahts the Oracle? lol I haven't seent any mention of it in game. Haven't caught any streams either which I'll probably do later tonight.
The first three? Yeah that sounds about right. Hang in there, you'll get it.
And the Oracle is the eye in between the Nexus.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina

The Oracle is the little eye to the left of the field whenever you're attacking. When it's your action, you can mouse over it and it'll show you the results of all of the combat. Whenever an ability is added to the chain of spells, then you can also see how the battlefield will look after those resolve. It's SUPER helpful.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
The Oracle is the little eye to the left of the field whenever you're attacking. When it's your action, you can mouse over it and it'll show you the results of all of the combat. Whenever an ability is added to the chain of spells, then you can also see how the battlefield will look after those resolve. It's SUPER helpful.
The first three? Yeah that sounds about right. Hang in there, you'll get it.
And the Oracle is the eye in between the Nexus.
Holy shit. Can't wait to try it out in my next matches when I get home. Thank you both!

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Playing this is like a breath of fresh air after my disappointment with Gwent Homecoming and Artifact. I may pick up Artifact again after the relaunch but I can't tell you how relieved I am that Initiative isn't a mechanic I have to deal with. I pretty much lost yesterday to this game and I can't wait to play out some more games after work.

Playing a janky Shadow Isles/Ionia deck that I'm really enjoying at the moment.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
The deck I'm working on is some kind of Noxus Demacia Rally Car racing insanity. I need to get more lucian's and kat's for it to work , but I think its gonna be disgusting with the Demacian 2/2 that gets +2+2 every time he attacks. Also, attacking someone twice on their round really messes with people's plans :D

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the most satisfying thing I've discovered is that Single Combat or any other fast way to kill your own unit completely counters Augmented Experimenter.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
The deck I'm working on is some kind of Noxus Demacia Rally Car racing insanity. I need to get more lucian's and kat's for it to work , but I think its gonna be disgusting with the Demacian 2/2 that gets +2+2 every time he attacks. Also, attacking someone twice on their round really messes with people's plans :D
I made a deck a few days ago for a daily of shadow isles and piltover & zaun which i've been slowly tweeking.
It's still not great, but it's at least amusing drawing about twice as many cards as someone else and always having card advantage only to play the guy that makes you discard your hand to deal 3 damage and draw 3 cards to trigger Jinx.

I pulled a teemo yesterday as well as some of the other mushroom people and slotted him in as well, so I will have to test with him in my deck as well.

Maybe the most satisfying thing I've discovered is that Single Combat or any other fast way to kill your own unit completely counters Augmented Experimenter.

which will be annoying when I'm trying to trigger Jinx, though half of the time I'm giving up cards I want with him anyway because of all the cards I draw with my deck lol.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Level 11 vault, good enough. Afterwards I'll try to build a competitive deck for ranked, probably going for a mushroom deck, really want to make it work. But I'll take a look at all the cards before I pull the trigger.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Cloned one of my cards that got +1/+1 per unit killed, it was at 6/6 but when cloned it jumped to 16/16 and they had overwhelm on them. I had 2 health left and it did not end well for the other person lol