• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ava was growing so much as a character. The backslide now, of all times, feels particularly weird because the entire conflict was literally generated by Ava refusing to take five seconds to listen to her goddamn girlfriend.

I don't wanna say it, but...this is some CW-ass forced relationship drama that doesn't need to be in my Legends.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely want Nate & Zari to be a thing. The look on Zari's face when Nate's mom told her she had child-bearing hips had me dying.

But I wasn't feeling the relationship drama between Ava and Sara at all. It felt forced and was not needed.

Mona being the new wolf girl means she's probably going to die or be sent back in time by the end of the season. Hopefully, her powers give her a personality change, because I was getting a little tired of her awful, cringy, jokes.

Glad the show is back. Werewolf luchador had a better entrance than anyone on the WWE roster.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Mona sucked all the fun out of the show. Totally bored with it this week. What a bummer.

I guess Supergirl is the best CW superhero show right now

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Considering it was a big part of her arc, it was better than the million other instances they did it in the other superhero shows on CW all things considered

It went a bit off track with the romance.

I haven't been caught up on BL this season, unfortunately. Has the writing stayed up to S1's standard?
That depends on what you're looking for from the show. I just binged season 2 on netflix and found it very emotional.

As a super hero show, there's better shows for straight up action. However, as a family drama it's pretty good. BL plays up more on the lore this season. The writers play up more on other potentially powerful metas as likely thorns in season 3. The action scenes carry the tradition of being heavy on nostalgia music, with mostly decent choreography. One early Thunder scene took cues from Daredevil's rugged hallway fights.

If you're into black actors and directors, the cast this season is up there with Black Panther. It's kind of insane who appears in the show now, and I'm loving it. Ericka Alexander, Michael Wright, Bill Duke, Salli Richardson, Robert Townsend...it just keeps going and going. The universe is expanding in exciting ways, and that's all being handled with a great pace. Jennifer Pierce, for example, doesn't even get her costume until the last few episodes of the season. This would normally be a HUGE no-no in a capes and tights show, but because her arc is so wrought with internal conflict over accepting her powers, it's not only justified, but the buildup is proper reward.

The show isn't perfect. Tobias Whale is a fantastic villain, but he's losing steam. Season two reminds you that season one had a ton of untapped potential with villains that were simply killed off. Remember Jill Scott? Remember Tobias's sister? Even Todd, the evil tech nerd this season is a ton of fun and a breath of fresh air in the bad guy family, but the show doesn't linger long enough on the character or the implication of the void that he fills left by Khalil. Blink, and you'll miss him. His demise, I think, was handled off screen.

In fact, one of the biggest complaints that I have with the show is underwriting of the supporting cast in general. The show rests with herculean weight on the shoulders of the Pierce family. The orbiting relationships were handled a little better this season (as setup for season 3), but not by much. Also, BL has reached a point where it's feels like a running gag or Boondocks episode when white people are introduced, ie, white people are cartoonishly EEEEEEVIL. Here's hoping that they at least offer the illusion of nuance next season.

What BL continues to be successfully doing is hammering the narrative that being a black superhero is NOT fun and games. It's actually a burden, and by the finale, you feel the bittersweet relief along with the family.

Like i said, it totally depends on what you're coming to BL for in determining how much mileage you get out of it.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i don't get how doom patrol ruins this show but okay.

I want to say the same, but admittedly Daredevil has done that twice for me with Arrow (S1 and S3), so I can't say it's a foreign concept to me I suppose. Haven't watched Doom Patrol myself.

Lex Luther saved it for me.

I feel like implying that Supergirl is a season that needed to be "saved" kinda detracts from your point, but to each their own

i mean, of the cw shows? i wholeheartedly agree
this season of lot isnt up to par with 2-3, and as stated earlier doom patrol kinda ruined this show for me

supergirl is at least doing something different and is nailing their arcs.

Its not doing anything diferently. It just has good villains for once, as well as nailing the arcs as you said, which of course goes a loooooooong way

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not doing anything diferently. It just has good villains for once, as well as nailing the arcs as you said, which of course goes a loooooooong way
how is it not?
i feel like there has been more kara than supergirl and a coherent central theme that they've stuck to

Oct 25, 2017
Supergirl is the best of the Arrowverse shows this year, but Legends is still a strong second, even with the Ava drama in this episode not really working for me.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
i don't get how doom patrol ruins this show but okay.

Because that show leans into the weird, just like this show, except Doom does it way way better. Hell, they even introduced rip off Constantine in episode 3. When the fun exciting and wacky show comes back from a long break and we get a boring episode. I like this show because of the team, they bounce off each other and this episode we got pretty much none of that and if it doesn't have a strong team dynamic then it best be fun and weird and we also got none of that. All we got was relationship drama, dad drama, more trust me! talk and Mona talking.

The show will probably turn it around, but for that return episode all i could think was...damn, this episode is going nowhere and nowhere fast.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Doom Patrol done ruined this show for me, this was supposed to be the wacky fun show. They take a big ol break to return this episode and honestly I was pretty bored with it. Time to end Mona, get rid of her.

The hiatus sucked and Doom Patrol is a better version of Legends but I still enjoyed this episode. As a wrestling fan I got a kick out of that storyline. They need to lean more into the comedy which is what Legends excels at.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
While I feel like the Ava drama isn't needed, it's consistent with the midseason finale's view of what someone from The Legends would be like if they didn't feel empathy for the magical creatures thanks to interacting and becoming friends with Charlie.

OP
OP
ZeroX

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Tonight's synopsis!

#4.10 "The Getaway"
WHO IS TELLING THE TRUTH? — When Hank (guest star Tom Wilson) commandeers the Waverider in 1973, the Legends find themselves on the run in an RV after kidnapping the President who is only able to tell the truth. With the help of Constantine (Matt Ryan), they discover the reason that none of them can lie making for an uncomfortable family road trip. Meanwhile, Nate (Nick Zano) and Zari (Tala Ashe), with the help of Nora (Courtney Ford) and Gary (guest star Adam Tsekhman), work together to find out what Hank is really up to. Caity Lotz, Brandon Routh, Dominic Purcell, Maisie Richardson-Sellers, Jes Macallan and Ramona Young also star. Viet Nguyen directed the episode written by Matthew Maala & Ubah Mohamed wrote the episode.

LGN410a_0138b.jpg

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Mick is a man of culture.

Okay. I said I ship Nate/Zari and that 'babe' secured it for me, lol.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Man feels like Ray has been sidelined with no suit. Budget tight?

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus woman
--
the show needs to take some influence from JoJo aka esoteric bulshit situations that can only be solved by very specific applications of each of the teams abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.