• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Crackin' nuts this holiday!
MZdQxJE.jpg

7LB9O6w.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised at the size of this. After the ornament version last year I thought this would be redundant but I was wrong. This is a really great holiday freebie, everyone should try their best to get one. The Cracking feature, while not actually usable, is still a nice touch.

CgBEVPm.jpg

" GIVE ME YO NUTS!"

ghostmind

Oct 25, 2017
Ohhh, so that's what the lever is for.

I was like "why have a feature for his goatee to move up and down"?

PalaceBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Ok folks, talk to me about lights.

My Winter Village is looking good but it needs more "pop". I have a couple of LEDs attached to a wired box but that's super limiting. I'm looking for probably....10-15 lights? Are there any brands that work well and aren't wired?

Any specific sellers you'd recommend?

Bentbricks

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone remember when LEGO Bricks and Pieces shuts down for the holidays? I'm hoping to put an order through before that happens.

EDIT: LEGO website continues to astound me on the issues with it. I am logged onto the site with my VIP login and it is placing CAD (Candian) pricing even though my region is clearly USD (United States). This is on their Bricks and Pieces site.

EDIT 2: Nvm, I reloaded initial page. Not sure why the dropdown was set to Canada on where I live when entering age. Usually it's set to United States, never was set to anything else before. Curiously, it overwrites my VIP login setting of U.S. and doesn't reset the location when I change the region to U.S. in the dropdown menu later on.

Last edited:

Koren

Oct 25, 2017

My Winter Village is looking good but it needs more "pop". I have a couple of LEDs attached to a wired box but that's super limiting. I'm looking for probably....10-15 lights? Are there any brands that work well and aren't wired?

If you want a led with a battery attached, it'll be far less expensive if you make them yourself (basically, you can directly wire the led to a lithium battery, see led throwies, though adding a resistor will make them last longer).

I'll stay wired because it's quite a waste...

Unless you speak about leds that uses induction?

Btw, be careful with lithium cells and children, if someone eat one, you have less than hour to act. There's again a girl that died from that after something like 30+ acts of surgery, it's awful when it go bad :/

Edit: just checked, that's 27 (over a year spent in hospital)

Grassclipper

Oct 26, 2017
Ordered Brick Bank today, it will be my second modular so yay! I also picked up a bunch of old road plates second hand so I will be able to change the layout of my small city set-up. Looking forward to being able to play around with it.

Mr Mike

Oct 25, 2017

So I've actually been making sets of lights for my own buildings and for others, sold a few through various sites. I won't plug them here.

What I'll say is that if you get a mouldable string of LEDs add the right number of bricks and an easy bricklink order you can fashion a great lighting kit that isn't intrusive.

There are lots of sets on the usual sites that are designed for specific sets and include clone brand bricks with LED wired into them - but I've always been wary of them as you often have to rebuild the models to fit them, and I don't trust any non-LEGO brick brand and wouldn't want to mingle them in with my buildings.

Here's a pic of the effects you can get:

Koren

Oct 25, 2017
Really nice...

I still want to spend some time with neopixels to light up my modulars (and probably the Falcon). The possibilities are really interesting...

Koren

Oct 25, 2017
Argh... Exactly what I... feared? hoped?

The -20% today is Ghostbusters HQ. I still don't know if I want to buy a second one to lengthen it a bit... but if I pull the trigger, I guess it's probably the best opportunity :/

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
One of the final projects in my circuits class was make a simple reed switch motor. I could use the box kit and pass, then extra points for using salvaged parts not in the kit, adding lights, switches, etc. Instructor also said there were extra points for making it move something like a zoetrope or fan, but nothing too heavy since it won't have a ton of power.

Well, I DEFY YOU!

I took a simple version into class last week and the instructor was impressed that I actually added a crankshaft for it and could make it move something small. But I just kept going and did a lot of gear work to get enough torque to power the carousel. Then I decided to keep digging in, and after butchering a power functions cord, I was able to make the motor connect to a LEGO battery box.
Then I did some tweaking after that and made it work with the IR remote as well.

0cedaa9f-4880-439e-b089-674ff490ae96.inline_yes

I know it isn't that impressive, but I am happy with pulling this off in my first ever engineering class in my life.
I plan to take the Carousel in to the class to show just how heavy it is and that my motor can actually move it.

And PalaceBrother , after the minimal work to wire a simple inductor to a power functions cord, you could easily wire some LEDs to one and use a LEGO battery box to power lights.

Koren

Oct 25, 2017
Great job... Now I want a reed switch :)

Out of curiosity, what kind of gears? Lego gears have a lot of lost torque, but I got some success by using those corkscrew gears...

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Great job... Now I want a reed switch :)

Out of curiosity, what kind of gears? Lego gears have a lot of lost torque, but I got some success by using those corkscrew gears...
All LEGO. Only non lego parts in that are the Reed Switch, metal bolt and wire for inductor, and the magnets to drive it. Everything else is LEGO.

And the side red and yellow panel is removable to get to the wiring if I have to fix anything.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed there's a LEGO deal in amongst the UK Amazon Cyber Monday sale; Yellow Submarine is on sale in 45 minutes. Dunno if that's a one-off, or if it means we might see some more as the day goes on.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Time to rotate out the seasonal displays. Cobwebs and spiders removed from skylines. halloween sets moving to less visible shelves. christmas sets about to move to prominent places.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just noticed there's a LEGO deal in amongst the UK Amazon Cyber Monday sale; Yellow Submarine is on sale in 45 minutes. Dunno if that's a one-off, or if it means we might see some more as the day goes on.

Amazon already announced there will be LEGO sales for cyber Monday, up to 30% off.

PalaceBrother

Oct 25, 2017
If you want a led with a battery attached, it'll be far less expensive if you make them yourself (basically, you can directly wire the led to a lithium battery, see led throwies, though adding a resistor will make them last longer).

I'll stay wired because it's quite a waste...

Unless you speak about leds that uses induction?
Btw, be careful with lithium cells and children, if someone eat one, you have less than hour to act. There's again a girl that died from that after something like 30+ acts of surgery, it's awful when it go bad :/

First off - that story is terrifying. What an awful experience for that family. Our kids are old enough that they won't be eating batteries but man....I shudder just thinking about it.

I hadn't heard of "LED throwies" so thank you! Seems like a ridiculously low cost option; albeit one that sacrifices an on/off switch. I'm definitely not opposed to going wired but since losing my local unofficial LEGO store (which sold all of this stuff) I'm fumbling around in the dark.

There's a pun to be made there somewhere...

So I've actually been making sets of lights for my own buildings and for others, sold a few through various sites. I won't plug them here.

What I'll say is that if you get a mouldable string of LEDs add the right number of bricks and an easy bricklink order you can fashion a great lighting kit that isn't intrusive.

There are lots of sets on the usual sites that are designed for specific sets and include clone brand bricks with LED wired into them - but I've always been wary of them as you often have to rebuild the models to fit them, and I don't trust any non-LEGO brick brand and wouldn't want to mingle them in with my buildings.

Here's a pic of the effects you can get:

Great pic - thanks for the reply. I'm going to PM you.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
So the Ghostbusters fire station is today's mystery deal -on the German webshop at least. That's a huge saving, 280€ instead of 350€, isn't it?

But I just can't justify spending so much so shortly after Ninjago City. :( I think I'll stick with the brick bank for 120€ and that'll be it for 2017.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, Amazon's 30% off Cyber Monday page is up. 20 or so sets available...actually a decent selection I think, but nothing terribly new so for most of us it'll be a lot of "already got that"

Except, for me...I just finally snagged the Temple of Airjitzu. I've had my eye on it since the day it came out, almost pulled the trigger on it a bunch of times and never did. 30% off, plus the fact that it's now officially retired....yeah. It is now mine.

That means I gotta get Destiny's Bounty to go with it lol

edit: looks like they're going fast, Kwik-E-Mart was on there but it's sold out already, maybe others too

Last edited:

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
Well, Amazon's 30% off Cyber Monday page is up. 20 or so sets available...actually a decent selection I think, but nothing terribly new so for most of us it'll be a lot of "already got that"

Except, for me...I just finally snagged the Temple of Airjitzu. I've had my eye on it since the day it came out, almost pulled the trigger on it a bunch of times and never did. 30% off, plus the fact that it's now officially retired....yeah. It is now mine.

edit: looks like they're going fast, Kwik-E-Mart was on there but it's sold out already, maybe others too

Blimey, on the flip side there's nothing in the UK Amazon Cyber Monday deals! I'd have probably splurged too!

Grassclipper

Oct 26, 2017

Wow web warriors is a great deal! However my Lego budget is spent.

Mr Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I pounced on the £30 Beatles set last night on Amazon UK - not seen anything else since tho.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
There isn't a way to configure amazon to make a purchase if an item hits a certain price is there? (Other than a bot)

just_one

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if someone here has ninjago city and a couple of modulars (Assembly Square , Palace Cinema , Pet Shop , Brick Bank , Detective´s Office , Parisian Restaurant) could you put them all together and take a picture? just to see how it looks like , if its not asking much :)

Really wanted to bite on ninjago city but the only pics i saw was it against town hall which i dont have.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
It all depends on whether you want to keep your modular city "pure" or whether you're ready to go crazy with it. I suppose in that case you could also fit
in the GB HQ while you're at it :)

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
received my Ninjago City today, the box is massive! A little pissed off that I didn't receive the free nutcracker set and the vip keychain, I did get the tote bag though.

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Joker Manor. It just looks so bland in Jangs Video...

I keep going back and forth on this set but I was surprised how well JANG articulated my feelings on it. In fact he said the exact same thing I did when it was first revealed, who is this set made for?

Theres been other sets like this in the past that just felt awkward in its aim. It's kinda like a marketing person stepping in mid development and telling a designer "no we need more of this to appeal to this demographic" causing an unfocused mess. I can appreciate the mash up of an insane set in the spirit of Lego but when it comes to $200 plus sets as a collector I want something I can display for a long time.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
What is "frustration free packaging" on amazon lego sets? They have the Saturn V for $120 with FFP but $170 or more for "standard packaging". I gotta assume the worst that FFP is no box, maybe no manual? So may be a counterfeit set or used set. I don't see this option on other large lego sets so it seems really suspicious.

Here is a link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G3QMS2/?tag=era0f0-20

Weird.

I've seen this with Micro SD cards. They're normally sold in blister packages, but the FFP version would be a cardboard enveloppe. No idea how FFP applies to LEGO sets - I guess no box. It's sold officially by Amazon so I don't think you should be worried about bootlegs.

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What is "frustration free packaging" on amazon lego sets? They have the Saturn V for $120 with FFP but $170 or more for "standard packaging". I gotta assume the worst that FFP is no box, maybe no manual? So may be a counterfeit set or used set. I don't see this option on other large lego sets so it seems really suspicious.

They've opened all the bags and mixed them for you, enjoy!

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
I keep going back and forth on this set but I was surprised how well JANG articulated my feelings on it. In fact he said the exact same thing I did when it was first revealed, who is this set made for?

Theres been other sets like this in the past that just felt awkward in its aim. It's kinda like a marketing person stepping in mid development and telling a designer "no we need more of this to appeal to this demographic" causing an unfocused mess. I can appreciate the mash up of an insane set in the spirit of Lego but when it comes to $200 plus sets as a collector I want something I can display for a long time.

Wait, weren't you the one pimping the Jokerland though a couple years back? :P

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

To me it looks like they had Warner do the movie and just rebuild it to have something from the movie to sell collectors. I dont know. I lurk here and buy every now and then a cheap set to display it but most of these Lego Batman sets just look like they want to cash in.

chub

Oct 28, 2017

Be careful. A couple of times when I've ordered Lego from the UK that was 'fulfilled by Amazon', they literally just stuck an address label directly on the Lego box and shipped it. The boxes arrived, but of course they were pretty mangled. So much for 'postage and packing'.

As it says on the page you linked, "This item's packaging may indicate what is inside. To cover it, select Ship in Amazon box on the checkout page." I've now learnt to look for that option on the checkout page, but it's usually tiny and easy to miss.

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's the opposite, someone's sorted all the pieces. That would be frustration free!

Just putting it out there free of charge but that could be a business idea for someone.

Wait, weren't you the one pimping the Jokerland though a couple years back? :P

YES! And its a good example, that was like a $100 set AND it was an unabashed playset, it made no pretenses to be something else and embraced those things. Besides the cool classic Burtonmobile in the set the zany carnival builds in it was what i loved. It was something a parent and kids could have fun building and playing with but you werent buying it to display on a shelf. Almost $300 for a playset is a tough pill to swallow, especially when the only real play feature is the rollercoaster part.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017

They will ship it by slapping a shipping label on the LEGO box.

Only choose this option if you do not care about the box.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damnit, couldn't get the killer cross tail gator deal. Had to work 8-1pm central, got off work, and the deal was gone. Curse target for making me work on cyber Monday!

I guess I still win cause I didn't spend more money on Lego