• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 8, 2018
So there's a leaked list of the potential Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker sets that'll be released in October:
Gun turret (£17.99)
A-wing (£24.99)
AT-ST – brown in colour (£54.99)
Speeder Bike and Landspeeder (£54.99)
Y-wing (£74.99)
Kylo Ren's starship (£109.99)
Millennium Falcon (£139.99)
Also makes me wonder if we'll see a set or two based off Jedi: Fallen Order.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I know it can be annoying to see so many Falcons in a short period of years, but how can they not make sure there is a Falcon model on the shelf to go with the movie? It's walking away from easy money. Not everyone wants or can afford the UCS, and the Solo falcon is a non starter as it doesn't fit with the Skywalker saga films.

We got a Falcon with TFA which stayed in print through TLJ, so they didn't need to release a new one then because they kept TFA version readily available. That's not longer true for TROS so I'm okay with them giving us another one.

I'm sure they will give the falcon a longer rest before another version comes along after this one.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
There's always going to be a falcon, there's always going to be an x-wing, there's always going to be helicopters, firemen, and police cars. They're a toy company, it would be malpractice not to have that stuff. It's not preventing them from making other sets you want more.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Screw the Falcon (though I might be forced to buy it depending on the minifigures and such 😂) Give me that sweet, sweet Razor Crest ship from The Mandalorian.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Want. It. So. Much.

WKkU509.jpg
This is the kind of thing I'd love to see more of when it comes to LEGO Superheroes; less vehicles, more this. Or combine the two, like this.

Link

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So my son is 5 (almost 6) and my friend dumped a ton of Legos on us! Now I have like 10 buckets filled with all sorts of stuff. Thing is, I have no directions (although I can tell what some are, like the falcon, some Xwings and some ninjago things)

How should I go about organizing these and stuff?

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Do you want to sort them into actual sets? I suppose you could find some rare-looking pieces and then use Brickset or something to find out which sets those parts feature in, and try to narrow it down that way.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Lego has all instructions online! If you think you know which set it is you can try and find all the pieces (the instructions always show a count of all the pieces)

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So I was kinda thinking I could track down what set they go to before I tear them apart?

They are in great shape! Just not always still together from storage/moving/playing stuff. So like I can see the hull of the Ninjago ship and some sails, but they are in different bins. The falcon, X-wing and Tie Fighter are close to being completely together.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So I was kinda thinking I could track down what set they go to before I tear them apart?

They are in great shape! Just not always still together from storage/moving/playing stuff. So like I can see the hull of the Ninjago ship and some sails, but they are in different bins. The falcon, X-wing and Tie Fighter are close to being completely together.

If you think you know the set, pull the digital instructions from LEGO's website and do a rebuild on each to ensure no missing pieces.

If you find missing pieces, buy them on BL.

Once you have complete sets, either display, or disassemble for storage, and label them well. :)

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Nearly done with the brick bank.

Crap. I only have space to line up 4 modulars in a row. Gonna have to get creative with my layout now.

Also built the Great Hall recently. It was even better than I expected. gonna have to give that a prominent place in the clutter.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Nearly done with the brick bank.

Crap. I only have space to line up 4 modulars in a row. Gonna have to get creative with my layout now.

Also built the Great Hall recently. It was even better than I expected. gonna have to give that a prominent place in the clutter.
Guess you need a bigger or second shelf then. That is the only solution. MORE MODULARS!

40terawatt

Alt account
Banned
Jun 21, 2019
Woohoo, the new space/moon base rocket(?) sets look fantastic. Would love to see a "Mission to Mars" set with as many realistic scientific details as possible (solar panels, water reclaimer, pressure hatches, etc).

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Guess you need a bigger or second shelf then. That is the only solution. MORE MODULARS!
well the table has some depth to it, so i could probably get up to 6 there if I wrangle the mess properly.

our main lego corner is kinda a precarious pile of furniture. large table ->2 thin bookcases pinned into the corner by a slightly smaller table. so if i move the block down, there's more space but i have to work around the legs of the upper surface.

idk. gotta do some garden work first. turns out our lego table is in the line of fire from a windowsill planter and summer = we need airflow. gotta learn to fight soil erosion just to keep the streets of the lego city clean. no major redesigns will go down til i've taken care of that.

Woohoo, the new space/moon base rocket(?) sets look fantastic. Would love to see a "Mission to Mars" set with as many realistic scientific details as possible (solar panels, water reclaimer, pressure hatches, etc).

looking at the city section of the lego site to see the space stuff has reminded me, there's plenty of city sets I kinda want. all the space ones, city hospital, a bunch of the scenery from every gimmicky police set and exploration set.... so really what I mean is there's a couple city sets I want and a ton of city sets I want half of.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So, I was going to skip the Diner...the set somehow felt smaller and less inspired than other creator buildings. But my wife got it for me for my birthday...so I'm building it. I'm finding it odd that there are a number of elements that aren't secured. They're just supposed to sit there on a flat, unstudded surface. Makes it almost impossible to move, but ok...so I keep building...

but then I get to the stairs....these fucking stairs, man....in every set there's an element that just surprises me with use of existing pieces. I'm always entertained by them, and amazed by the creativity on display.... but holy fuck, these stairs are incredible. And they couldn't have been done if the designers didn't have the 'doesn't need to be secured' mindset. I am truly blown away by them...building these justified the entire set, IMO.
YFunOsCl.jpg

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I got my second set of Lego for the year (well for the kids). It's the Friends Lighthouse rescue. It was A$45 and it has 602 pieces so thought it was really good value. I've spent so much on board games already this year (yay for Amazon wishlists and Prime international delivery) so it was kind of hard to get Lego, but I made an exception for this, and also will get the Lego Creator Cafe Modular building (the one that looks like a mini modular) if that ever goes on sale.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
We're attending a friends wedding next month. This will be our gift. :)

uI3Udy7l.png

And because I am just a big kid I made this moc.
FgDjTptl.png

Aine

May 27, 2019
I want to collect Overwatch, but I've been burned before on potentially short-lived lines.

Looking at you, TMNT and Scooby. :(

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I want to collect Overwatch, but I've been burned before on potentially short-lived lines.

Looking at you, TMNT and Scooby. :(
i don't care if these wind up being the final overwatch sets. Wrecking ball turned out perfectly and I want it.

but yeah my heart is always gonna want every character and a tiny piece of every stage.

Nov 23, 2017
I just finished building the storybook with Little Red Riding Hood and Jack and the Bean Stalk. The first story is Little Red and it's sorta cute and basic, and the second build is Jack. This one is just so cool. It fits flat entirely into the book and pieces don't have to come out to close it, plus the bean stalk is just amazingly done. And I finished the ship in a bottle before this one. My friend finished building the Flinstones.

Now we're wondering what to start next. I still have the Disney Castle and Steamboat Willie. He plans on buying the next set of Harry Potter when it releases. And we're thinking about splurging for the rollercoaster set. Of course, that will open a new can of worms with needing the carrousel and ferris wheel.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally got to sorting out my sons gifted legos. Oh man, so many. I pulled out the sections that I thought may help me find out what sets are in there. So as I do this, it was mentioned to try finding the manuals online at lego/brickset.com.

Is there any way to order print versions? These PDFs are either huge page wise, or seem low quality if I were to print.

_Pow_

Oct 30, 2017
Not from Lego anyway. It'd probably be cheaper to get the PDFs colour printed in a shop than doing it at home. Or you could get a cheap tablet.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! I will do that. Right now I am trying to find out what I have and some I can not figure out easily. Ugh
are they playsets with minifigures? that's kinda the route i've been taking with my little brother's childhood sets. "crap, which version of two-face is this? that'll tell me which vehicles should be in this mess. "

on the other hand, the family bucket has like four johnny thunders, so who knows what old adventurers sets are in there. and the pirates predate even my earliest memories of lego. so i guess there are no shortcuts.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I am now sorted and have PDFs of all the major sets I could figure out. Lots of sets!

So now onto storage. We were thinking of putting them into his playroom and I have seen lots of suggestions online. I guess my first question is about sorting. Should I sort by:
  • Set
  • Theme
  • Color
  • Size/shape
Or something else? I think this will dictate the storage some....

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
How old is your son? Unless he's well into his teens, my experience says just dump everything into large tubs, unsorted. This is the ultimate fate of whatever clever sorting method you might have, so save yourself the hassle!

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
He is almost 6. I was thinking of getting some of those Ikea storage units with the sliding bins.

The Ikea Trofast?

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Overlapping promos on the (UK) LEGO Store at the moment. Bought the Corner Garage and got the Pelican polybag, the little Space Rocket Ride, and Double VIP points.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Yeah, at that age dumping in a bin is probably best. Or even the sliding drawers like you suggested but just dumping in there. Because at that age any organization is gonna be thrown out the window nearly immediately.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, good idea guys and easier for me with less stress. I think I will buy the Ikea bins (for future sorting) and for now just dump them into it with no sorting at all.

Nov 23, 2017
The trofast is nice. You can get the larger bins for now, and smaller bins for set sorting later. Buy a few smaller bins for accessory pieces and lego people parts.

I've been going through and sorting pieces into plastic tackle bins. Bass pro had a sale on them a while back for $2 a piece. I think we bough like 40 bins. But that's meticulous sorting of pieces.

Apr 8, 2018
Heads up for anyone ordering the Stranger Things set with the new season airing + the double VIP points promo. If you're in the US, entering promo code "GONE" (promo code "WILL" if you're in the UK) will get you this art print poster for free:
66131484_1264324550402004_1127717803290263552_n.jpg

Looks to be limited to 10,000 (5,000 split between the US and UK).

Nov 1, 2017
So has LEGO gotten worse with missing parts recently or do I just have rotten luck this year?

Last time I can remember missing a piece was from the Parisian Restaurant, which missed a couple of pieces actually, but up till now it's been smooth sailing that I can recall. Then this year I got the Corner Garage and it was missing a piece smack in the middle and I couldn't find any spares of that color so had to substitute it and request a replacement.

Now I got the Jurassic Park set and there's a piece missing. Similair to the one missing from the Garage set too. So now I have to request a replacement for that as well. So 2 for 2 this year.

Obviously the bigger the set the bigger the chance of getting a wrong piece/missing piece but LEGO is usually good about this. In both cases there was a similair piece in surplus so the weight and number of pieces will have been about the same so that's why their machines don't catch it but it still annoying even if they are decently quick to send you replacements without hassle.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
This is gonna be YMMV of course, but I'm starting to see some discounts on sets released earlier this year at various Walmart stores. I picked up the "Watchpoint: Gibraltar" Lego Overwatch set for $64 earlier today, almost a 30% discount off of retail (which went back up to $90 after sitting at $72 for months); I also spotted deals on some Jurassic World, CITY and The Lego Movie 2 sets, the latter being mainly the large sets that move slowly or not at all.

Oct 27, 2017
I got the Lego Droid Commander Boost set almost a week ago. Being curious about the Boost platform and coming from the Mindstorms world, I wanted to see what you could do with Boost. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that you could do quite a bit with it!

The three droids are a triumph and just work, coming to life immediately with personality and functionality. The R2-D2 model in particular is one of the most functional I've seen for its size. The Gonk model can walk forwards and backwards and change direction - all using only one motor - freeing the other two motors up for attachments and such. The Mouse droid works pretty much as you'd expect.

The last bag of parts is 100 or so parts used repeatedly to build attachments and accessories to complete the missions. The missions themselves range from bog-standard "move backwards if an obstacle is sensed" to very clever ones like "get the code from the central computer" and "death star trench run". There is a special surprise at the end when you complete all the missions.

Each droid has a functioning auxiliary rotating axle to attach mechanisms and props to (the Gonk droid has two!) Given what the missions demonstrate, each droid is easily adapted to play sports like golf, soccer, basketball, etc. There are also examples of projectile firing, jousting, making the hub a game controller, etc. Switching the hub, motor, and sensor from one droid to the next is easy, and they give you specific instructions to install and remove for each droid, so you're never lost when you do it. A few of the missions really expect you to "think like a child" and may actually stymie your adult frame of reference!

I did all the app stuff on a Samsung Galaxy S7, so it works on a phone but I recommend a larger phone or tablet. Each droid gets its own remote-control mini-app, and programming blocks/environment. Not all the Boost programming blocks unlock, for some reason (some have the advanced math blocks unlocked, some others don't, very strange coming from Mindstorms). Each robot goes through a "calibration/wake-up" sequence hidden by the software (probably resetting motor tach counts and measuring the accel/gyro readings, definitely needed for the Gonk droid's walking mechanism), but that and the code for the custom droid-specific blocks are hidden away.

All the mission programs can be modified by you, and you can easily repeat missions you mess up on or want to reset, at any time. The app takes you from planet to planet of the OT, but only ends at Bespin. There's also an undisclosed spot in the Jawa Scavenger for something. Makes me think that more missions may be added in the future?

Still, it's easy to program and give life to the droids. I made a simple block of code that basically had R2 whine repeatedly if he was knocked over, until he was brought upright. Speaking of which, there are tons and tons of Star Wars sound effects and music to use (all played by your device, none of this goes on board the Boost hub unlike Mindstorms), and comes with a vocoder to record your voice and change it to Vader, 3PO, Jawa, etc.

There are plenty of parts, and some gears, but doesn't have the big wheels or treads of the standard Boost set. Still, I'd think you could build lots of custom robots anyways.

Battery life is not the best, so get out the rechargeables.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
It saddens me they don't have a rechargeable Boost module. I have only played with the OG Boost set and had some fun with it but haven't dabbled further.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
So I'm not sure if this is widespread knowledge but I guess I will share. I placed 2 orders from LEGO Pick-A-Brick. Usually these get shipped from a warehouse in Europe and take like a month to get here. However I was surprised to see they were already shipped after a couple of days. It looks like they have a new warehouse in Romeoville, IL. If anyone was hesitant to wait for PAB orders, guess now it's a lot more reasonable, good luck building MOC's!

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
Urgh, I have way too many Star Wars legos and I held as best as I could from buying
anything NinjaGo related. But today I saw Lioyds titan mech and I bought it. I hope it's not the start of a new love story, i have no space left and my wife will eventually kill me when she realizes everything I have :-0

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Starting to get scared about Ninjago City retiring on me. gonna have to hope one last good sale pops up.