• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
LEGOERA, convince me that I can't pass up this deal.

November 24: 30% off LEGO Old Fishing Store

Hmmm...seems the plastic gods have forsaken me on this. LEGO S@H already has it out of stock before the sale. Guess it's a sign I should curb my LEGO spending for end of year.

I'm guessing that this is simply a pre-sale block to prevent people buying in advance and then trying to price match.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't eying this one myself.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
LEGOERA, convince me that I can't pass up this deal.

November 24: 30% off LEGO Old Fishing Store

Hmmm...seems the plastic gods have forsaken me on this. LEGO S@H already has it out of stock before the sale. Guess it's a sign I should curb my LEGO spending for end of year.

When I bought detective's office yesterday, it said "out of stock" until about two minutes past midnight. they're almost certainly holding stock til the sale begins.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
When I bought detective's office yesterday, it said "out of stock" until about two minutes past midnight. they're almost certainly holding stock til the sale begins.

That's weird, it showed in stock for me around 10 minutes before midnight, but no discount. I had it in my cart ready to go at midnight.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
That's weird, it showed in stock for me around 10 minutes before midnight, but no discount. I had it in my cart ready to go at midnight.

hmm i might be misremembering exactly when they posted the new stock. i do know 12:02 was the time the sale price first showed up for me.

It's live. For $105 + tax and free shipping, I couldn't resist.

That's an impressive looking set and the price/piece at 30% off is nigh unbeatable.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I've thought about the fishing store since nearly all I buy are modulars, but it doesn't quite go with them and I don't really have anywhere else to put it. And I don't really like it as a modular conversion either.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Old Fishing Store is a fantastic looking set when finished, but offers an okay building experience at best.

Having said that, BN stores should still have OFS in stock on shelves, so check local stores and if they don't have it, they can have others transfer it to your local store. The set is good if you value appearance over build or want a great parts pack. But modulars are better money spent in the end in my personal opinion.

Detective Office is amazing and all should buy it before it disappears.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im starting to feel disgusted at the amount of lego minifgures series I have. Have a whole box of hundreds of sealed ones across all the series so far. Just found out about the new harry potter ones.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
These were really fun builds..

Legomrmrsclause.jpg

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like the big surprise deal for today is 30% off the Ninjago Docks. 3.5k pieces for £140!

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Oops oops

My recent lego purchases
Brick bank w/ diagon alley and the present set
Detective's Office and another present set
WInter village station
the bat-shuttle
Sanctum Sanctorum
silent mary and another present set
Fun at the beach minifigure pack
some tiny castle interior accessory pack
8 or so harry potter minifig blind bags

I can't even really claim something happened and I depression-shopped. My self control just totally failed and I bought things i'd been kinda interested in for months or years.

Time to tighten the budget on other frivolous things.

It looks like the big surprise deal for today is 30% off the Ninjago Docks. 3.5k pieces for £140!
i am both relieved and disappointed this isn't a sale in my region

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Oh nice, hadn't even seen the docks yet! $229 isn't that bad for the piece count. I love the way it looks and it would fit nicely with the city build.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just ended the Silent Mary from pirates of the caribbean

Really fun, and the set looks awesome! First "ship" in my collection (is a ship but not a traditional one)

Im also traveling to US next year only to buy the Hogwarts Castle, is my dream come true

Any chance of it getting retired until there?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I just ended the Silent Mary from pirates of the caribbean

Really fun, and the set looks awesome! First "ship" in my collection (is a ship but not a traditional one)

Im also traveling to US next year only to buy the Hogwarts Castle, is my dream come true

Any chance of it getting retired until there?

The castle was just relaunched, so it'll likely still be around next year at LEGO retail stores.

meaulnes

Oct 27, 2017
The docks have been around 170 at amazon.de since the summer. Lego offer was a bit better but Amazon is also good.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
What's the most cost-efficient way to power the Winter Holiday Train? LEGO site says you need four separate power functions sets but that SEEMS a bit OTT

I know this post is from a while back. But I did the same thing this year, because I wanted to get into the Holiday sets and I wanted to power the train.

The most cost effective way is to buy the Lego City Passenger Train and share the battery pack/motor, otherwise its really expensive compared to the train itself. I think I paid $100 for the train, and $80 for the 4 separate parts (battery, motor, remote control, infra red thingy). I think you can get the Lego City Passenger Train for $100ish anyways. (I just picked it up on sale for about $70 Amazon Australia). You'll have to double check if the passenger train uses the same motor/wheels, as I'm not 100% sure on that.

I wished they included the motor/battery pack option with the Winter Holiday Train for $50 more. Would have made things a hell of a lot easier. And they were SO tight on track pieces too, they're no straight pieces with the set. Otherwise the train is awesome. TBH, $200 for this (powered up) train is not really worth it, I think its a bit expensive for what it is.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
ahhh the mistake parade is arriving all week.

sanctum + the LBM harley set arrived today
i think detective's office may also be arriving while i'm at work
then i think silent mary arrives tomorrow
and the bat-shuttle arrives friday

yes sir i am dumb wow.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So here's a thing that cropped up in conversation with my sister:

My niece is getting heavily into Lego now, and my sister was wondering about her moving up to some more advanced sets with more interesting designs; she's seen shots of my Disney Castle, for instance, and would love something of that level of intricacy... but not that *cost*.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any particularly interesting sets that are on the cheaper side? Clever SNOT, good use of decorative elements, that sort of thing? My default go-to at that level are the various Creator Expert vehicles, but I don't think those would be visually to her taste.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
My eldest (7) daughter really loves Lego, but up to a few weeks ago, had nowhere to really display / play with her sets, so was a case of build them, they get left around, break (mostly by her sisters to be fair) and pieces get chucked into a draw mixed together.

Had a bit of move around with bedrooms which meant she had space and wanted all her sets rebuilt.

Mammoth task of sorting all pieces (decided on colour, rather than shape!)

Screenshot-20181203-105320-3.png

Screenshot-20181203-105330.png

Then rebuilding them (which was tricky trying to hunt for the parts)

But now just about finished, ready for her new sets she wants for Christmas!

IMG-20181029-175238.jpg

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
i'm not having my usual "that is so cute my soul hurts" response to this modular.

anyone ever seen a real-life garage in a mixed-use building? i was looking around near work and I"m realizing all the downtown garages and gas stations here are either single-story or have a tall multi-story garage next to two floors of offices. i've lived upstairs next to a gas station before, but can't recall any apartments directly over one.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I like it, but I can see how people would find it bland. I don't know about that $30 price bump either.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to add to my earlier post on not being crazy about the garage that the tow truck in the set is the cutest lego car ever

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here with kids finding themselves turning into Will Ferrell? I don't normally have much Lego on constant display (apart from the Saturn V) but my wife has started a tradition of buying me the winter set each year as some Christmas decoration.

R3BpUSZ.jpg

Problem is, I have 4 and 2yo boys who really struggle with the temptation. I actually found myself saying "it's not a toy!" the other day lmao. What have I become??