• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

_Pow_

Oct 30, 2017
***The separator is in several new sets. ****

Not the new modular though, devastated :(

edit: ooh, just got a shipping notification for my Lego forma shark. Should be here sometime next week :D

Last edited:

papluh

Oct 26, 2017
Classic Space plaformer, quite impressive for a single author
http://jalex.se/classicspaceadventure/play/
discovery.png

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
My wife was looking at the January Catalog that came the other day and made it clear - we need to pick up the Harry Potter Castle soon. And the Technic stuff I'm missing. I need another eBay sale so I can grab a Bugatti...

Also, honest question. I know it gets talked about a lot, and there's always the "running joke" of Star Wars tax and shit, but why IS the Falcon $800? I look at something like the Death Star, Taj Mahal, or even the HP Castle...All significantly cheaper. My wife asked why it was $800 versus the $500 Death Star. I didn't have an answer for her outside of "because they can".

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Also, honest question. I know it gets talked about a lot, and there's always the "running joke" of Star Wars tax and shit, but why IS the Falcon $800? I look at something like the Death Star, Taj Mahal, or even the HP Castle...All significantly cheaper. My wife asked why it was $800 versus the $500 Death Star. I didn't have an answer for her outside of "because they can".
The Falcon is 7541 pieces, and the Death Star is 4016 pieces. So at $800 and $500 respectively, the Falcon is actually slightly cheaper per piece.

It's expensive because it's just a really huge set with a ton of different pieces.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
The Falcon is 7541 pieces, and the Death Star is 4016 pieces. So at $800 and $500 respectively, the Falcon is actually slightly cheaper per piece.

It's expensive because it's just a really huge set with a ton of different pieces.

Sure, but you can't argue with the trend on price per piece since many of us have been in the game. I mean, over the past 10 years or so since I got back into collecting, I've watched prices do all sorts of fun things. The Star Wars tax joke is true when you consider other sets of similar size.

• Taj = $0.062/piece
  • Hogwarts = $0.066/piece
  • Falcon = $0.106/piece
  • Death Star = $0.125/piece

Mind you, I don't really care because I'll buy what I want at whatever price I feel makes sense. But it's just an interesting thing to look at (that people have complained about forever, haha). Is there a lot of UNIQUE pieces that help differentiate the prices of sets like that? I can understand the Taj being lower on the $/piece because of how many "same" pieces there are.

Man, I'd love to know the algorithm for calculating price of a set. The other big one being licensing fees and how they handle that.

Unrelated to price discussions, does anyone else collect mostly just Technic? I don't see it discussed nearly as much here.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
So is the Ideas fishing store gone? That was quick.

My wife was looking at the January Catalog that came the other day and made it clear - we need to pick up the Harry Potter Castle soon. And the Technic stuff I'm missing. I need another eBay sale so I can grab a Bugatti...

I have been thinking about the Falcon a lot too. I told myself I would pick it up if I found a great deal but my enthusiasm is dying. For the cost of the Falcon, I could pick up my full current wish list: Diner, Voltron, Pop-Up book, Assembly Square and T1 Camper!

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Mind you, I don't really care because I'll buy what I want at whatever price I feel makes sense. But it's just an interesting thing to look at (that people have complained about forever, haha). Is there a lot of UNIQUE pieces that help differentiate the prices of sets like that? I can understand the Taj being lower on the $/piece because of how many "same" pieces there are.
I think the number of "same" pieces is a really big factor in a set's price, actually. Looking at the Brickset breakdowns, the Falcon only has 2 different elements with a quantity of 200 or more, while the Taj Mahal has 6. And those 6 with such large quantities are pretty small pieces, like 1x1 bricks and 1x1 plates. That would explain why similar sets with a ton of small pieces like Big Ben and the Tower Bridge are also relatively cheap in terms of price-per-piece.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Price vs. Weight is probably a more accurate reflection of a set's "value" really. Comparing something with 500 1x1 pieces to something with loads of huge parts is not really that useful always.

I mean, modulars come with baseplates which count as one part but in reality they're like £7 alone.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I have been thinking about the Falcon a lot too. I told myself I would pick it up if I found a great deal but my enthusiasm is dying. For the cost of the Falcon, I could pick up my full current wish list: Diner, Voltron, Pop-Up book, Assembly Square and T1 Camper!

Yeah, I'm probably going to grab Harry Potter and the Bugatti. Falcon is cool, but it's huge and expensive. I'd rather get multiple sets I want versus one set I kind of like.

I think the number of "same" pieces is a really big factor in a set's price, actually. Looking at the Brickset breakdowns, the Falcon only has 2 different elements with a quantity of 200 or more, while the Taj Mahal has 6. And those 6 with such large quantities are pretty small pieces, like 1x1 bricks and 1x1 plates. That would explain why similar sets with a ton of small pieces like Big Ben and the Tower Bridge are also relatively cheap in terms of price-per-piece.

That's a very valid point. It definitely makes more sense thinking about it like that.

Anyone got fun pics of their LEGO rooms? My game/entertainment room is in need of a HUGE overhaul. I hung my dartboard, I'm working on building a MAME cab, have all my boardgames up...But need a good way to store/display/work on my LEGO and other dexterity based hobbies.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
anybody have the bb-8? i'm looking for something with a lot of pieces for under 100 bucks. bb-8 is on sale for 75 bucks and looks pretty cool. it looks like the build might be easier/faster than the piece count would suggest, though

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
On the subject of the "star wars tax", City sets are frequently the worst value, so whatever is going in to pricing decisions, I don't think licensing cost is the primary factor.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
anybody have the bb-8? i'm looking for something with a lot of pieces for under 100 bucks. bb-8 is on sale for 75 bucks and looks pretty cool. it looks like the build might be easier/faster than the piece count would suggest, though
I've handled a friend's. It's a fun model to play with and has character. Quite intricate on the inside in order for the play functions to work. Can't comment on the build.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
On the subject of the "star wars tax", City sets are frequently the worst value, so whatever is going in to pricing decisions, I don't think licensing cost is the primary factor.
maybe it's a "we're confident this will sell" factor?

LEGO city's unending crime epidemic ensures that no public investment in more police stations and fire stations can be denied

by which i mean maybe they have data showing this shit sells forever reliably, just like how star wars has enough friends to sell ship after ship after ship after ship

makes me curious to see what the price vs weight spread for city and SW is, though.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Remember a couple of days ago when I said I wasn't too interested in any of the clearance sets at my local Walmart?

Yeaaah, I swung by for some milk tonight and ended up buying six sets. They increased the markdowns and pulled them off the shelf to make room for the new 2019 sets.

10693 - LEGO Creative Supplement - $7.00
41323 - Friends Snow Resort Chalet - $17.00
75216 - Star Wars Snoke's Throne Room - $30.00
75217 - Star Wars Imperial Conveyex Transport - $35.00
75219 - Star Wars Imperial AT-Hauler - $49.00
76100 - Black Panther Royal Talon Attack Fighter - $13.00

After-Christmas clearance sales, folks. Gotta love 'em.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remember a couple of days ago when I said I wasn't too interested in any of the clearance sets at my local Walmart?

Yeaaah, I swung by for some milk tonight and ended up buying six sets. They increased the markdowns and pulled them off the shelf to make room for the new 2019 sets.

10693 - LEGO Creative Supplement - $7.00
41323 - Friends Snow Resort Chalet - $17.00
75216 - Star Wars Snoke's Throne Room - $30.00
75217 - Star Wars Imperial Conveyex Transport - $35.00
75219 - Star Wars Imperial AT-Hauler - $49.00
76100 - Black Panther Royal Talon Attack Fighter - $13.00

After-Christmas clearance sales, folks. Gotta love 'em.

do you know if bb-8 was marked down?

_Pow_

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm, my Forma fishes arrived today, I expected the skins to feel more substantial, like mini figure cape material or something but it's more like shiny paper. I'll withhold judgement until I built them though

Last edited:

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
got the bb-8 for 51% off at walmart.

they had some of the $55 tie fighters marked down to 30. cant decide if I want to go back and get one. seems like it would be a really short build.

Last edited:

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I have declared that this year I would like to actually build my Saturn, Mini, Slave 1 and Falcon.

My little girl got me the Women of Nasa set for xmas too <3

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have declared that this year I would like to actually build my Saturn, Mini, Slave 1 and Falcon.

My little girl got me the Women of Nasa set for xmas too <3

watching video reviews of the Women of Nasa set is a good way to determine what lego youtubers are MRAs. unfortunately, the results were not good.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Anyone build the RSR yet? Any thoughts?

I'm looking on Brickset for a model that resembles 'RSR', but I am getting nowhere...

Which set are you talking about?

I saw the San Francisco (Architecture) when I went shopping yesterday, and honestly, it's the best city skyline yet — I have got London, Sydney and Venice thus far, and the San Francisco one is going to join those pretty soon I think! It is a surprisingly colourful set too.

21043-1.jpg

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking on Brickset for a model that resembles 'RSR', but I am getting nowhere...

Which set are you talking about?

I saw the San Francisco (Architecture) when I went shopping yesterday, and honestly, it's the best city skyline yet — I have got London, Sydney and Venice thus far, and the San Francisco one is going to join those pretty soon I think! It is a surprisingly colourful set too.

21043-1.jpg

The new Technic Porsche 911.

Yep this haha. Looks awesome esp for $150. Though I'm hearing some negatives on eurobricks about proportions and such

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
When is the next "promo" set supposed to come out? I want to buy a few sets but there's no incentive at the moment.

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017
When is the next "promo" set supposed to come out? I want to buy a few sets but there's no incentive at the moment.

Lego stopped putting them on the calendars so nobody really knows. February could be a TLM2 promo, Valentine's day, or nothing at all.

But just because they stopped advertising them doesn't mean I'm going to start paying msrp for them with no bonus. I'll sit on purchases until 2x VIP or a good promo.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Woah, the Systar Starship is freaking huge. I think this may be the biggest set I've ever built. Getting it for a little bit off at Target was nice.

Im browsing through some sites and I see a bunch of other LM2 polybag sets I haven't seen yet, mainly the 3 in 1 Emmet construction build and the star trapped in the door set. I spotted Lucy/the Duplo monster and the Metalbeard set at Walmart and grabbed the Piece Offering from Target (they had it with their valentines stuff)

And I see an upcoming Popcorn Cart and Spidey polybag set that I absolutely must have.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to say my piano will not be among them.

However, now we can see the sort of models that won, I'll definitely enter something more appropriate next time (if there is a next time!)

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Oh well, Lego just filed an injunction for one of the biggest German lego youtube channels hosted by a local lego only retailer (because of his old logo which used a symbolized lego-looking brick) and he decided to turn away from lego only to be a bricks retailer now. Such a dumb move from lego. The backfire on facebook is hilarious :D I think he's as "famous" in Germany as jangbricks is with the english speaking audience.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I know it's stupid but it's more to do with trademark law than LEGO wanting to go after people like this. If they let people use their trademarks then when they try to take on companies like Lepin they lose all their leverage because they're seen as not really valuing said trademarks. Is the jist.

papluh

Oct 26, 2017
Caesar III I tried to watch the video but just can't, this guy just sound so ... overplaying, like a soap opera or such. Feels fake and made up just for his audience. While I can still admit that he got hit by the legal entity hired by LEGO for something that was probably based on too loose comparison.

Also, I watched some of his early video and then stopped. To me it looks as if he, after the first bashing video made at random, found out there is fanbase to be made on criticism of LEGO sets. And then continued to push and push it. At the same time being kind of double-faced, he sells the sets in his shop, then bashes the set online to a big view count and in the same video puts link to onlineshops with his referral id to get a cut. because "money, money does not stink..."

Last edited:

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
A lot of what's on Youtube isn't that great. If Lego thought that the logo was close enough to their own to cause confusion about wether or not the youtuber officially represented them, then forcing a change was absolutely the correct decision.

I'm not familiar with this German channel, but I've definitely seen stuff on Jang's channel that I would complain to Lego about if I believed that he was representing them.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
papluh I understand where you are coming from but no, he loves Lego and the biggest fan is always the biggest critic! He is a bit special, yes, but he is right with nearly everything he says. As tmarg mentioned, jang does this as well. And he does love Lego as much.

Funny thing is, the other German guys seem to duck away cause they get promo sets every now and then - kinda lame. I'm really interested in if they decide to say something.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
what type of discount would it take for most of you to consider buying a used set? it seems like a bad idea, but yu can get stuff for so much cheaper. you can buy individual parts, right?

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
what type of discount would it take for most of you to consider buying a used set? it seems like a bad idea, but yu can get stuff for so much cheaper. you can buy individual parts, right?

This is a question with no answer. It really depends on the set, some LEGO sets you'd have to pay more for a used set! For an in-print set it wouldn't take much of a discount to get me to go used instead of new, if it was complete and in mint condition.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

If I wanted to but an in-print set new, I would have to find it at about 50-60% of the cost (this has happened only a couple of times). Because gift cards and discount means I find most of my retail sets at 80% off anyway.

For OOP sets or play sets (like the death star), it is more a matter of authenticity and condition. I check which parts of the set are expensive and make sure I can see them in the photos. Any missing regular parts are cheap to find on Bricklink. No smoking home and no pet homes means I am willing to spend a little extra.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Brick Bank get from Amazon fuck yeah. Can't believe I was dumb and missed the retirement announcement for it and Detective's Office. Praying I can manage to get the latter under similar circumstances as well.