• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
You'll have to get 'em all eventually! Stopped giving Jang clicks a while back, did he dislike the garage that much, or is it just that the Parisian Restaurant is better?

Because that's not really fair, PR is better than everything.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
You'll have to get 'em all eventually! Stopped giving Jang clicks a while back, did he dislike the garage that much, or is it just that the Parisian Restaurant is better?

Because that's not really fair, PR is better than everything.

Any particular reason you stopped on Jang? Was it him being obsessed with LEGO using the same head for Stormtroopers?

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I watch Jang less and less too. Now I usually skip to the final remarks only of sets I'm interested in. There is no particular reason for it (maybe it's also because if I want a set, I'll get it and opinions don't matter that much anymore compared to when I just got back into Lego), but I have to say he sometimes makes strange remarks. The NASA women thing was a big 'wtf' for me, and in his fire brigade review he also said you could swap out the female head of the fire chief if you were not okay with it.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I watch Jang less and less too. Now I usually skip to the final remarks only of sets I'm interested in. There is no particular reason for it (maybe it's also because if I want a set, I'll get it and opinions don't matter that much anymore compared to when I just got back into Lego), but I have to say he sometimes makes strange remarks. The NASA women thing was a big 'wtf' for me, and in his fire brigade review he also said you could swap out the female head of the fire chief if you were not okay with it.

that's so petty it's almost psycho. holy shit.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Yeah, his attitude towards gender has always been a problem, and his MRA style rant over the Women of NASA set brought a lot of people's attention to it.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
Some of Jang's remarks reported in his thread certainly do sound strange. I've always noticed him commenting on how he prefers the LEGO torsos not be gender-specific, but I've always interpreted that positively, in the sense that in that way there's no limitations on the roles characters can take within the sets.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Some of Jang's remarks reported in his thread certainly do sound strange. I've always noticed him commenting on how he prefers the LEGO torsos not be gender-specific, but I've always interpreted that positively, in the sense that in that way there's no limitations on the roles characters can take within the sets.

That's the positive way to spin it, but kids mimic what they see in real life in their play. Which means that kids will place their male figures in male dominated roles, and then play reinforces those steriotypes. Lego knows this, which is why they go out of their way to have gender inclusive playsets. Demanding that kids be free to replace female characters in important roles with men is not healthy.

And frankly, even with Lego's recent efforts, male figures still hugely outnumber female figures. I honestly find myself going out of my way to buy ones that are good quality. If you are out there insisting that there are too many, you've got a problem.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
That's the positive way to spin it, but kids mimic what they see in real life in their play. Which means that kids will place their male figures in male dominated roles, and then play reinforces those steriotypes. Lego knows this, which is why they go out of their way to have gender inclusive playsets. Demanding that kids be free to replace female characters in important roles with men is not healthy.

I think you're interpreting this exactly opposite to how I do, which is that Jang wants children to have as many options as possible.

Regarding the Fire Brigade set review, I don't think Jang is endorsing swapping out the head of the female minifigure. I think his literal words, after highlighting that it is the first figure of its kind, is that you can swap out the head "if it bothers you", suggesting that it is those who are doing it that would be agitated, and that he himself isn't.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I think you're interpreting this exactly opposite to how I do, which is that Jang wants children to have as many options as possible.

Regarding the Fire Brigade set review, I don't think Jang is endorsing swapping out the head of the female minifigure. I think his literal words, after highlighting that it is the first figure of its kind, is that you can swap out the head "if it bothers you", suggesting that it is those who are doing it that would be agitated, and that he himself isn't.
I would have thought if it didn't bother him he wouldn't even mentioned it.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I would have thought if it didn't bother him he wouldn't even mentioned it.

how often does he talk about swapping out minifigure faces in general? because if the only time he did that was "hey remember if you don't want this authority figure to be a woman, you can use a basic feature of the minifigure and make it a man," that sounds strange in the moment, and upgrades to "holy hell full-blown MRA loon" in the context of the nasa set tantrum.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
He talks about it fairly often, but usually in the context of "I wish this fig had a smaller chest/hips so that I could stick a male head on it".

Otherwise, not so much.

papluh

Oct 26, 2017
My primary reason is time constraint - the reviews are tooooo long. For example what I like in Sariel's Technic reviews is the chapter index, I can then just jump to the time position I want to see. And the written summary. My usual order is - summary, new parts, functions.
The other reason are his views and actions. One thing is that whole gender stuff. When he got hit with a strike by LEGO's lawyer Youtube watchdog for reviewing sets released early by retail chain, I was on his side. But when he bought a set from a very very shady source on ebay month before being released as D2C (only LEGO shops) and acted like it is nothing, then I did not believe him he did not knew it was not from a legitimate source.
I haven't watched his video on purpose for months...

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Saw The LEGO Movie 2, it's great but not as great as the first, because there was no twist they could have come up with that could compare to the first one. It feels a bit less special as a result, but it's still very entertaining. Lots of fun gags.

There's some sets I like the look of a lot more now having seen the film, like Emmet's Dream House. Apocalypseburg is still very confusing though, I think it was on-screen in the film for about 30 seconds, maybe not even that long.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
so... much .... dust.

we've been cleaning up our home in general and are currently repairing lego-space. our main lego corner is a precarious pile of furniture. shelves on tables on bad decisions. one of the storage shelves hidden from view by the modular street became the mother of all dust traps.

i'll post pics when we finish cleaning and organizing the mess of a corner.

Oct 27, 2017
Newnan, GA
6077849-A.jpg

Here is a picture for people who didn't click the link.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I think I liked LEGO 2 even more than 1.

Also, when we left theater they offered the kids a free toy and I thought 'oh cool' then I saw it wasn't LEGO. :(

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
alright so if that became a 2000-piece ideas set, Winston gonna play DK at the island as his new vacation home. because those are some DKC vibes.

papluh

Oct 26, 2017
New Summer 2019 theme announced today mixing LEGO & AR mobile game, monsters & teenagers :)
Hidden Side
https://brickset.com/article/42229/announcing-a-new-theme-hidden-side!
VIDEO: http://legoexternal.23video.com/video/44142479/lego-hidden-side-with-textmp4
https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/hidden-side

70418 Lab | 174 pieces | $19.99 US | €19.99 EUR
70419 Boat | 310 pieces | $29.99 US | €29.99 EUR
70420 Graveyard | 335 pieces | $29.99 US | €29.99 EUR
70421 Truck | 428 pieces | $39.99 US | €39.99 EUR
70422 Diner | 598 pieces | $49.99 US | €49.99 EUR
70423 Bus | 689 pieces | $59.99 US | €59.99 EUR
70424 Train | 698 pieces | $89.99 US | €79.99 EUR
70425 High School | 1,474 pieces | $129.99 US | €119.99 EUR

147078-parenting-news-lego-hidden-side-sets-hands-on-image13-oiajmczwwg.jpg
lego_hiddenside_social

papluh

Oct 26, 2017

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at the rides and boothes makes me realize that i kinda want a happy perfectly functional jurassic park.

Also RE: Hidden Side, I'm definitely in for the graveyard but idk about any others yet. wanna see the diner at least. I've been dreaming of getting a steady stream of spooky sets since... pretty much monster fighters ended. idk if the school is cute and spooky enough to be worth the money though.

Last edited:

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
that looks way better than i expected.

but it's in line behind the popup book, ship in a bottle, harry potter sets, and the remaining overwatch sets....

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
From March 1-7, if you spend over $75 on Lego Marvel sets in Lego stores or online Lego's site, you'll be given the Bricktober 2018 set that was planned to be in Toys R Us before the closing down.

43486262084_75ee222cd0.jpg

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So I wanted to do Lego competition for my class, but I can no longer find those $5 boxes of solid color Lego pieces. Saw them for a long time and finally had an idea for my kids that could use them and now they're no longer on sale? The larger sets with more colors are still around, but I wanted the small sets so each kid could have their own to take home and everyone has the same pieces.

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I wanted to do Lego competition for my class, but I can no longer find those $5 boxes of solid color Lego pieces. Saw them for a long time and finally had an idea for my kids that could use them and now they're no longer on sale? The larger sets with more colors are still around, but I wanted the small sets so each kid could have their own to take home and everyone has the same pieces.
I don't know if you have those Five Below stores near where you're at, but I was in one yesterday and they had a bunch of those sets you're talking about on the shelf there.