LEGO Masters |OT| MasterChef, but with LEGO

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Is this show good? My LEGO nerd homeboy says he went in expecting British Bake Off and got a bunch of screaming and stuff blowing up. It turned him off immediately. Hulu keeps suggesting it so my interest is piqued.
I feel like it's gotten better with every episode and I like all the contestants. The bridge build was probably my favorite episode so far.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I've got Boone's antique firetruck he designed, so I'm fully Team Boone. Aaron/Christian might be the most talented, with Tyler/Amy very close behind. Pretty much a tossup. But I can't stand the married couple. At all.
Boone designed the firetruck? I didn’t know that. Tyler is the designer of Stitch.

You are talking about the old married couple, right? Not the recently married Tyler and Amy. Yeah, something about their building style doesn’t click on me.

Tyler is a very talent sculpture builder, buthe falls behind in other types of builds. Amy is very newbie on Lego, but their team is the one most in synch and really shows teamwork.

Aaron/Christian are very very talented, but sound (at least in the show) too cocky. The movie challenge also showed that they lack a little bit of imagination.

Mark/Boone seems to be the most rounded team, that could handle any type of build, but their creations so far did not impressed me that much. But they are my bet for winning.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
I think the bridge build was my favorite too. The derby plus the golden brick being on the line made for a great episode. Especially with how you got a peek behind the curtain with the show under estimating how much weight 6ft Lego bridge could hold and having to react in the middle of taping to find more weight.

mxphill

Oct 28, 2017
Boone designed the firetruck? I didn’t know that. Tyler is the designer of Stitch.

You are talking about the old married couple, right? Not the recently married Tyler and Amy. Yeah, something about their building style doesn’t click on me.

Tyler is a very talent sculpture builder, buthe falls behind in other types of builds. Amy is very newbie on Lego, but their team is the one most in synch and really shows teamwork.

Aaron/Christian are very very talented, but sound (at least in the show) too cocky. The movie challenge also showed that they lack a little bit of imagination.

Mark/Boone seems to be the most rounded team, that could handle any type of build, but their creations so far did not impressed me that much. But they are my bet for winning.
Sorry, I meant Tyler/Amy. I find them grating. Totally respect their builds, though. The other old married couple, I don't mind. They're competent and have come up with a few inspired builds. But overall, they're just kind of, there?

I got that cocky impression from Aaron/Christian at first, too. But they've grown on me. I thought their movie challenge was BRUTAL! I feel like their cockiness came from others antagonizing them. One exchange with the guys who just got eliminated a few weeks ago in particular. To me, Aaron/Christian seemed to have some good-natured trash-talking after those guys were a little more hostile. Pretty sure they still had the Golden Brick at the time, so the targets were clearly on their backs.

Overall, a really fun show. I hope they do a couple more of the "mini" challenges (like the car race) before the big challenge. Plus I'm always looking for good build ideas myself, and I don't have the luxury of a brickroom to make massive builds.

Oct 29, 2017
Tyler/Amy should have won that one. It was rock solid with zero movement and looked great too. I find them cringe when they kiss and talk love but they are strong.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I meant Tyler/Amy. I find them grating. Totally respect their builds, though. The other old married couple, I don't mind. They're competent and have come up with a few inspired builds. But overall, they're just kind of, there?

I got that cocky impression from Aaron/Christian at first, too. But they've grown on me. I thought their movie challenge was BRUTAL! I feel like their cockiness came from others antagonizing them. One exchange with the guys who just got eliminated a few weeks ago in particular. To me, Aaron/Christian seemed to have some good-natured trash-talking after those guys were a little more hostile. Pretty sure they still had the Golden Brick at the time, so the targets were clearly on their backs.

Overall, a really fun show. I hope they do a couple more of the "mini" challenges (like the car race) before the big challenge. Plus I'm always looking for good build ideas myself, and I don't have the luxury of a brickroom to make massive builds.
The Movie Challenge was the most difficult one for Aaron/Christian, and even more after the twist but it was only brutal due to their own lack of imagination and relying only in their technical skills. Like, “we don’t know what to do!”, “let’s build a dragon, I make incredible dragon builds!”. That does not suit the challenge!!!

During the episode I was like: they could have built:
- a romantic scene in a lake, maybe inside a boat in the middle of a heart shaped lake
- a church with a wedding, even making a bride switch at the last minute or so for some drama
- a romantic dinner

all those could be minifig scale or brickbuild.

After the twist? Add spies and secret agents in a triller plot. Like spies coming in scuba suits from the lake, a fugitive groom that is a spy, etc.

What they did? Look a creepy dungeon and a castle attack! Look at the Jaime’s face when Christian reveled the dungeon...

Last edited:

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Based on all the builds so far I think I'd rank them:

1. Mark/Boone
2. Tyler/Amy
3. Aaron/Christian

Very close though. Those three have clearly separated themselves from the rest of the pack.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely thought Tyler/Amy’s was the best last night. The carrot monster, rat and other characters looked great. I was surprised Mark/Boone had that huge empty space. Then when the twist came they made it a bigger empty space and didn’t fill it I think? Loved their crab though. Aaron and Christian’s was a bit too busy. Forget the one pair’s names, but their gymnastics horse was really good.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely thought Tyler/Amy’s was the best last night. The carrot monster, rat and other characters looked great. I was surprised Mark/Boone had that huge empty space. Then when the twist came they made it a bigger empty space and didn’t fill it I think? Loved their crab though. Aaron and Christian’s was a bit too busy. Forget the one pair’s names, but their gymnastics horse was really good.
agreed. Mark/Boone display suffered from the twist (when they will learn that if they are given 8 or less hours to complete a challenge there will be a twist for sure?). Before the twist their display was fine, after it was left with an huge empty space.

Also again Aaron/Christian display showed they lack imagination (despite Aaron working with children). They tried to make sense of every little detail of the children story instead of going with the flow and just create something equally crazy. Their display was a mess.

Last edited:

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Starting the latest episode now and honestly this would have been my pick for top 4, all of these teams are very interesting in different ways. Rooting for Tyler and Amy or Mark and Boone to take it though

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Tyler and Amy have been my favorite from the start. Love that he's so fully into it, and she's so supportive...a great working team (much like Mark and Boone). Also, T&A's sculpts have always been amazingly creative and beautiful. The telescope really stood out to me.

I think the next challenge isn't really up their alley, though...it's more of a Mark & Boone type of deal, I think.

I will say that I'm happy with who got eliminated this week. I couldn't stand them from the start...pretty much the opposite of what I liked in other teams. So massively egotistical, and the way he treated her at the beginning just made me sick. Yeah, I know, editing for tv drama, but even saying those things, and repeatedly, is just horrible.