• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Is this show good? My LEGO nerd homeboy says he went in expecting British Bake Off and got a bunch of screaming and stuff blowing up. It turned him off immediately. Hulu keeps suggesting it so my interest is piqued.

I feel like it's gotten better with every episode and I like all the contestants. The bridge build was probably my favorite episode so far.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I've got Boone's antique firetruck he designed, so I'm fully Team Boone. Aaron/Christian might be the most talented, with Tyler/Amy very close behind. Pretty much a tossup. But I can't stand the married couple. At all.

Boone designed the firetruck? I didn't know that. Tyler is the designer of Stitch.

You are talking about the old married couple, right? Not the recently married Tyler and Amy. Yeah, something about their building style doesn't click on me.

Tyler is a very talent sculpture builder, buthe falls behind in other types of builds. Amy is very newbie on Lego, but their team is the one most in synch and really shows teamwork.

Aaron/Christian are very very talented, but sound (at least in the show) too cocky. The movie challenge also showed that they lack a little bit of imagination.

Mark/Boone seems to be the most rounded team, that could handle any type of build, but their creations so far did not impressed me that much. But they are my bet for winning.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
I think the bridge build was my favorite too. The derby plus the golden brick being on the line made for a great episode. Especially with how you got a peek behind the curtain with the show under estimating how much weight 6ft Lego bridge could hold and having to react in the middle of taping to find more weight.

mxphill

Oct 28, 2017
Boone designed the firetruck? I didn't know that. Tyler is the designer of Stitch.

You are talking about the old married couple, right? Not the recently married Tyler and Amy. Yeah, something about their building style doesn't click on me.

Tyler is a very talent sculpture builder, buthe falls behind in other types of builds. Amy is very newbie on Lego, but their team is the one most in synch and really shows teamwork.

Aaron/Christian are very very talented, but sound (at least in the show) too cocky. The movie challenge also showed that they lack a little bit of imagination.

Mark/Boone seems to be the most rounded team, that could handle any type of build, but their creations so far did not impressed me that much. But they are my bet for winning.

Sorry, I meant Tyler/Amy. I find them grating. Totally respect their builds, though. The other old married couple, I don't mind. They're competent and have come up with a few inspired builds. But overall, they're just kind of, there?

I got that cocky impression from Aaron/Christian at first, too. But they've grown on me. I thought their movie challenge was BRUTAL! I feel like their cockiness came from others antagonizing them. One exchange with the guys who just got eliminated a few weeks ago in particular. To me, Aaron/Christian seemed to have some good-natured trash-talking after those guys were a little more hostile. Pretty sure they still had the Golden Brick at the time, so the targets were clearly on their backs.

Overall, a really fun show. I hope they do a couple more of the "mini" challenges (like the car race) before the big challenge. Plus I'm always looking for good build ideas myself, and I don't have the luxury of a brickroom to make massive builds.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Tyler/Amy should have won that one. It was rock solid with zero movement and looked great too. I find them cringe when they kiss and talk love but they are strong.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I meant Tyler/Amy. I find them grating. Totally respect their builds, though. The other old married couple, I don't mind. They're competent and have come up with a few inspired builds. But overall, they're just kind of, there?

I got that cocky impression from Aaron/Christian at first, too. But they've grown on me. I thought their movie challenge was BRUTAL! I feel like their cockiness came from others antagonizing them. One exchange with the guys who just got eliminated a few weeks ago in particular. To me, Aaron/Christian seemed to have some good-natured trash-talking after those guys were a little more hostile. Pretty sure they still had the Golden Brick at the time, so the targets were clearly on their backs.

Overall, a really fun show. I hope they do a couple more of the "mini" challenges (like the car race) before the big challenge. Plus I'm always looking for good build ideas myself, and I don't have the luxury of a brickroom to make massive builds.

The Movie Challenge was the most difficult one for Aaron/Christian, and even more after the twist but it was only brutal due to their own lack of imagination and relying only in their technical skills. Like, "we don't know what to do!", "let's build a dragon, I make incredible dragon builds!". That does not suit the challenge!!!

During the episode I was like: they could have built:
- a romantic scene in a lake, maybe inside a boat in the middle of a heart shaped lake
- a church with a wedding, even making a bride switch at the last minute or so for some drama
- a romantic dinner

all those could be minifig scale or brickbuild.

After the twist? Add spies and secret agents in a triller plot. Like spies coming in scuba suits from the lake, a fugitive groom that is a spy, etc.

What they did? Look a creepy dungeon and a castle attack! Look at the Jaime's face when Christian reveled the dungeon...

Last edited:

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Based on all the builds so far I think I'd rank them:

1. Mark/Boone
2. Tyler/Amy
3. Aaron/Christian

Very close though. Those three have clearly separated themselves from the rest of the pack.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely thought Tyler/Amy's was the best last night. The carrot monster, rat and other characters looked great. I was surprised Mark/Boone had that huge empty space. Then when the twist came they made it a bigger empty space and didn't fill it I think? Loved their crab though. Aaron and Christian's was a bit too busy. Forget the one pair's names, but their gymnastics horse was really good.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely thought Tyler/Amy's was the best last night. The carrot monster, rat and other characters looked great. I was surprised Mark/Boone had that huge empty space. Then when the twist came they made it a bigger empty space and didn't fill it I think? Loved their crab though. Aaron and Christian's was a bit too busy. Forget the one pair's names, but their gymnastics horse was really good.

agreed. Mark/Boone display suffered from the twist (when they will learn that if they are given 8 or less hours to complete a challenge there will be a twist for sure?). Before the twist their display was fine, after it was left with an huge empty space.

Also again Aaron/Christian display showed they lack imagination (despite Aaron working with children). They tried to make sense of every little detail of the children story instead of going with the flow and just create something equally crazy. Their display was a mess.

Last edited:

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Starting the latest episode now and honestly this would have been my pick for top 4, all of these teams are very interesting in different ways. Rooting for Tyler and Amy or Mark and Boone to take it though

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Rooting for Tyler and Amy or Mark and Boone to take it though

Rooting for both as well, but Sam and Jessica's rebound from week 1s disaster is impressive. Would be shocked tho if they managed to survive next week. They need another's team model to collapse to be safe it feels like.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Tyler and Amy have been my favorite from the start. Love that he's so fully into it, and she's so supportive...a great working team (much like Mark and Boone). Also, T&A's sculpts have always been amazingly creative and beautiful. The telescope really stood out to me.

I think the next challenge isn't really up their alley, though...it's more of a Mark & Boone type of deal, I think.

I will say that I'm happy with who got eliminated this week. I couldn't stand them from the start...pretty much the opposite of what I liked in other teams. So massively egotistical, and the way he treated her at the beginning just made me sick. Yeah, I know, editing for tv drama, but even saying those things, and repeatedly, is just horrible.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Loved Tyler and Amy's droid. Really cute. Glad they got it working in the end. I thought all the scene recreations were well done. I do think Tyler and Amy's was probably the worst of the three. I think the lack of color definitely hurt it a bit compared to the others. Thought the red sand explosions in the one were really cool. That team has grown a lot. And Mark/Boone always put these funny little character moments that really make their builds shine.

I wonder when they decided not to eliminate anyone. Like Tyler/Amy has been my favorite over the course of the show. I think overall they've been the best. So I'm glad they'll be around for the finals but no elimination was curious. I've always assumed it'd come down to them vs. Mark and Boone, but I wonder what made them decide not to cut anyone this week.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I bet they decided not to eliminate anyone to give it to Tyler & Amy next week.

mxphill

Oct 28, 2017

I love a good conspiracy theory. I don't like Tyler and Amy but their build was better than...Sam and Jessica? I think that's the names. But anyway...I was figuring it wouldn't be an elimination. They have emulated the Australian version pretty closely and they had three teams in the Finals too.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I love a good conspiracy theory. I don't like Tyler and Amy but their build was better than...Sam and Jessica? I think that's the names. But anyway...I was figuring it wouldn't be an elimination. They have emulated the Australian version pretty closely and they had three teams in the Finals too.
I honestly kind of disagree, I wasn't thrilled with Tyler and Amy's scene. The technical build skill was there but I agree with the critique about the explosions, the color composition scene wasn't that great.

mxphill

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly kind of disagree, I wasn't thrilled with Tyler and Amy's scene. The technical build skill was there but I agree with the critique about the explosions, the color composition scene wasn't that great.

Definitely fair on the color. Their color explosion was weak. But, at the same time, it's Hoth. There's not a lot of color. Both builds were totally similar because the scenes are similar. I might have been fine with the other team to win had they gone with minifig Like staring down Kylo with an army behind him. As it stood, though, their technical ability made for a cooler build that made up for the lack of color. The other one looked more "amateurish."

Not saying there's was at all. It was still impressive. Especially considering how far they've come. But if I were a judge from what I saw, I'd have given the edge to Tyler and Amy.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Tyler and Amy's scene was really the weakest in terms of composition and color contrast. I was really surprised by Sam and Jessica's scene at the end, because they really seem not to be doing well during the build. As a criticism, their rebel base looked too small against the rest, and just a pile of bricks. Slopes would do major good there.

And regarding nobody going home it was kind of expected. The show format was made for a three competitors final (as the Australian show did). I was surprised that there was a semifinal in the US show that supposedly eliminates one of the teams.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that about the Australian version. Did they also have a week before the final like this where they didn't eliminate someone? I'd like to watch it. Is it available to stream in the US somewhere?

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Mark and Boone deserve to win for being awesome
Tyler and Amy deserve to win because they make cute characters
Sam and Jessica deserve to win because they have come so far

I was worried Tyler and Amy would get eliminated, which would probably make for an anti-climactic finale as I can't imagine Sam and Jessica holding their own 1 on 1 against Mark and Boone.

Here is an interesting interview with Jamie and Amy. I do feel like Amy is a better judge than they make her out to be on the show. All they show her saying is "you need to show us creativity" over and over.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the finale. I think they made the right choice for the winner and rankings in the end. Thought all three creations were very cool and showed off the strengths of each team. I loved the idea of just letting them make anything they wanted for the final challenge. I also imagine doing a 24-hour build must have been taxing. I loved watching this show and will miss having it to watch weekly.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

ShockedPikachu.jpg

Right team won the final challenge, but should they have been there after their not so great build in the week before?

If you think that the format of the show and the finale with 3 teams was not set in the stone before the first shoot of the show you are completely wrong.

It followed the same formula applied in the Australian version of the show.

But of course some drama is always good for the audience.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
If you think that the format of the show and the finale with 3 teams was not set in the stone before the first shoot of the show you are completely wrong.

It followed the same formula applied in the Australian version of the show.

But of course some drama is always good for the audience.
Not saying there was any fix in or nothing lol, just kinda saw it ending this way a few weeks ago

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying there was any fix in or nothing lol, just kinda saw it ending this way a few weeks ago

Mark and Boone team was favorite too. Sam and Jessica were the underdogs and didn't stand a chance I agree.

Actually I was not so impressed by the teams final builds, considering they had 24 hours to complete them. Tyler lost too much time on the wing mechanics of his griffon (which payed off but the other creature - the snake monster - suffered). Mark and Boone idea of a building wasn't that great (initial pitch just looked like a Lego House variation), although some of the details of it (like the paint) were awesome.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Mark and Boone always had the most boring builds. Super tired of their regular old buildings schtick. The other teams were great love seeing when they make different characters and models.

TheChits

Oct 25, 2017
Really, really enjoyed this show and hope they do another season. I think the right people won in the end.

Mark and Boone always had the most boring builds. Super tired of their regular old buildings schtick. The other teams were great love seeing when they make different characters and models.
Thank you! I felt like was taking crazy pills listening to people gush over their stuff.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Really, really enjoyed this show and hope they do another season. I think the right people won in the end.

Thank you! I felt like was taking crazy pills listening to people gush over their stuff.
Eh, structurally I agree but I loved how dense their pieces always were with little "skits", almost like little comic book panels embedded everywhere throughout the designs. No-one else really did that, or pushed it to the degree they did

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Tyler and Amy were deserving winners. Like others have said, Mark and Boone were great with details and minifigs - but lacking in overall creativity

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was great. I personally loved the way it was presented, cut and generally made, and we saw some of the strongest builds of all the LEGO Masters editions I saw. Happy for the winners, they deserved it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
series 1 is currently on in the UK but they just bumped it from Tuesday to Sunday. Was looking forward to it last night :/

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
The difference between the US and UK series production values are quite noticeable, lol. I see a lot of the challenges are similar though.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched some of these series. UK, US, Australia and Sweden. Just finished watching the 3rd Australian series on Monday.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
After just finishing season 3 of Lego Masters AU my wife and I both remarked on a couple of pretty big negatives by comparison. The first is obvious, it's cut for like, 42 minutes of TV rather than just having the time they need to properly air the show. This leads into two, the editing and cuts. Oh my god it's horrific. The speed of the cuts are like watching a poorly edited youtube video. The builds were interesting but the whole episode felt super rushed, like they needed about an extra 10-15 minutes.

Will Arnett isn't a bad host but there's no comradery between him, Jamie, and Amy. Definitely not on the level of Hamish & Brickman. I've never seen the UK one so I can't comment on whether it's better than the US version or not but I found last night's opener to be pretty lacking.