• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
deadline.com

Ryan Gosling’s ‘Wolfman’ Howling At Universal As Director Leigh Whannell & Blumhouse Join The Pack

Ryan Gosling's 'Wolfman' Howling At Universal As Director Leigh Whannell & Blumhouse Board

Universal Pictures has set its Wolfman project on a fast track to production. Leigh Whannell is negotiating to direct Ryan Gosling in the lead role, and Jason Blum's Blumhouse has boarded the picture to be producer along with Gosling. Blumhouse just teamed with Whannell on the Elizabeth Moss-starrer The Invisible Man, a $7 million budget film that was a win for Universal's Classic Movie Monsters initiative, grossing $124 million worldwide.

Whannell will also be writing the treatment for the film, based on an original idea of his own and inspired by the 1941 classic. Lauren Schuker Blum and Rebecca Angelo (Netflix's Orange is the New Black) will write the script.

A little surprised he's jumping into another Universal monster reboot as his next film, but I'm definitely down for this, especially with Gosling attached. Really curious about what his Wolfman take will look like.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
This is gonna be the sexiest Wolfman ever. Definite furry material

tenor.gif

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I just hope they keep the budget small even though Gosling's involved. Whannell really seems to thrive on these restrictions.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
I'm watching whatever this guy decides to make, The Invisible Man was stellar. It's a shame that Universal probably won't give the "Dark Universe" concept another shot for a while, because the ending for that movie somehow felt really satisfying and managed to set up possible sequels in the most graceful way possible.

I'm watching that thing again tonight, aren't I.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Leigh is amazing. Just a bunch of awesome movies. He's getting bigger and bigger.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ryan Gosling is going to make the world's least emotive werewolf.

When he howls at the moon it's just gonna be a big wide shot of the full moon and then a very quiet "ehhhhhh" in the background half-drowned out by the music.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
So, is Whannell just quietly going to do the whole Dark Universe thing on his own? Because, I'm in for it since the guy delivers some solid horror flicks.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whannell is great. I've never had much interest in the Wolfman, but you could say that about fake Tom Hardy or the Invisible Man and yet Whannell is 2-for-2 for me, so...

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Leigh Whannell going the route that I wished James Wann would have gone is endlessly satisfying to me. He's too great in the thriller/horror space, we need him to keep pumping out quality stuff and taking another Universal classic monster is a great move.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Invisible Man and Upgrade were both amazing, so I'll be watching this project with great interest.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I'm watching whatever this guy decides to make, The Invisible Man was stellar. It's a shame that Universal probably won't give the "Dark Universe" concept another shot for a while, because the ending for that movie somehow felt really satisfying and managed to set up possible sequels in the most graceful way possible.

I'm watching that thing again tonight, aren't I.
I blame the internet for shaming and shunning Dark Universe.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda loved the the 2010 Wolfman movie.
Felt like a real old school monster flick. Not really scary, but decent on the suspense with a great atmosphere.
Interested to see another take on the subject.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Hollywood Reporter said:
The script has been described as having a vibe that evokes Network (1976) and Nightcrawler (2014)

Lycanthropic Louis Bloom is something I never knew I wanted

Seriously, how has that werewolf angle not been before?

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
I imagine Gosling would get those sweet box office percentage points to agree on a project like that

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Make the effects practical, that shit always looks doper with wolfman movies. Gory as fuck too

Gosling and Whanell is great too

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm up for more horror remakes from Whannell after how well done Invisible Man was. Les go.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Leigh Whannell's 3 for 3 with me as far as projects he directed goes. Insidious 3 is the second best of the franchise, Upgrade is a winner, and Invisible Man rules. He just needs someone to help with some of the internal logic of his movies and he NEEDS TO STOP WITH THOSE "So this is what really happened!" ENDINGS. That shit got old after the first Saw.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Leigh Whannell's 3 for 3 with me as far as projects he directed goes. Insidious 3 is the second best of the franchise, Upgrade is a winner, and Invisible Man rules. He just needs someone to help with some of the internal logic of his movies and he NEEDS TO STOP WITH THOSE "So this is what really happened!" ENDINGS. That shit got old after the first Saw.

I still need to see Upgrade, but Invisible Man was excellent - but I thought Insidious 3 was the weakest of the bunch tbh. I even preferred the Last Key over it.

Still, I am very excited for this project as it definitely seems like he's only gotten better as a director, and has some great ideas on how to tackle these classic monsters. (And whatever, I like a whole bunch too Gosling)

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope they keep the budget small even though Gosling's involved. Whannell really seems to thrive on these restrictions.

They really need some kind of Oscarfor this sort of thing. Invisible Man at $10 million budget is unbelievable. Would also not hurt to give more of a spotlight to A24 type productions.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Some at Universal really really wants to make Universal Monsters into a viable brand. It's like decade from the last Wolfman reboot.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Whannell out and Derek Cianfrance in

deadline.com

Ryan Gosling And Universal’s ‘Wolfman’ Sets Derek Cianfrance As Director

Derek Cianfrance, who teamed with Ryan Gosling on Blue Valentine and Place Beyond the Pines, is near a deal to direct Gosling's Wolfman.
Too bad about Whannell considering I was a big fan of Invisible Man, but Place Beyond the Pines and Blue Valentine are solid movies (turns out I've even seen his other one, the Light Between Oceans). His track record is hard drama, interested to see where he takes this.