• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While browsing through the Nintendo eShop for potential Switch games I might want to buy once I purchase a Switch Lite, I found this listing for "Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Don't Dry" saying it's "available now" on the Nintendo Switch, description says game is set in the 21st Century with Larry passing out in the 1980s then is somehow revived in the 21st Century and Larry apparently needing to learn how to use a smartphone and apps such as "Timber" and "InstaCrap", when was this initially announced???:

Hey ladies, I'm back in business! My new adventure, Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Don't Dry, takes me – whatever the route or twist of fate – from the end of the '80s directly into the 21st century and wow, how the world has changed! While my view of the world and women from way back in the 1980s collides with modern reality harder than the breasts of a lusciously stacked blonde jogging along a beach, I'm all set to date my way across the modern world!

In a "point & click" adventure I'd call typical for the genre we mutually experience how I fall head-over-heels in love with Faith, the hot-to-trot assistant to the boss at Prune, a technology enterprise successful worldwide. Since even dating is done digitally nowadays, the first thing I have to do is to work on my score at Timber, the totally hip, can't-get-anywhere-without-it dating app where I date women, satisfy their needs, and accordingly pick up points for my Timber profile. And whenever I get a chance in between, always briefly check out a few new bikini pix at Instacrap – the 21st century is gnarly smill!

Features:

• Leisure Suit Larry is coming in the 21st century – and no, there's no word missing here

• Explore a lovingly designed, non-linear game world set in the modern world with over 30 handdrawn venues

• Use "Timber", the ingame app, along with an innovative dating mechanism to date women, consequently improve your score at Timber, and ultimately clear the way to get to Faith, the women of your dreams

• Solve true-blue puzzles and interact with over 30 handdrawn characters

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh... I'm somewhat familiar with the Leisure Suit Larry game franchise, I thought the last LSL game was the Kickstarter funded remake of the first LSL game released in 2013.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die was such a bizarre title to parody for LSL (I understand the relevance because of the "time travel," but still).

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's rather interesting to me that there's an attempt to bring LSL back knowing the problematic issues that LSL has in general when looking at LSL with today's current perspective with the #MeToo movement in full effect currently.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, it's not a Leisure Suit Larry game if Al Lowe is not involved. These new games are just lewd rip-offs of the originals that Al Lowe created.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Al Lowe isn't involved at all with this LSL revival attempt?

He hasn't been involved in any of the newer LSL games, starting with that Magna Cum Laude one. Al Lowe's humor was what made LSL so great. From what I've seen of these new games, they look like a bunch of perverted crap with a lot of bad d*** jokes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He hasn't been involved in any of the newer LSL games, starting with that Magna Cum Laude one. Al Lowe's humor was what made LSL so great. From what I've seen of these new games, they look like a bunch of perverted crap with a lot of bad d*** jokes.

Huh... How is that possible??? I thought Lowe had exclusive ownership of the LSL IP after Sierra's adventure game division went defunct.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017

I read up on this particular game a while back and, if nothing else, it did seem to be a step in the right direction.

It was looking pretty different from the other two previous titles in a good way, at least in terms of making an updated take on LSL that isn't blind to modern realities. It's made by German developers though, so I guess some of the humor might not translate too well.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's rather interesting to me that there's an attempt to bring LSL back knowing the problematic issues that LSL has in general when looking at LSL with today's current perspective with the #MeToo movement in full effect currently.
From what I've gathered, it's pretty well updated to the "current times". Still haven't played it myself, but really interestet to do it at some point. I was a fan of the franchise growing up, starting from the first game to Love for Sail (the 3d games were dreadful). Helped me a lot in learning English. Don't really like the new design for Larry though, he was perfect in Love for Sail and in the remake. I got interested after reading a glowing review in a local gaming magazine (among the oldest game mags in the world), the reviewer also has written a book about history of adventure games and even made very emotionally affecting game about a child living in an alcoholic household. So I trust his judgement a lot when it comes to adventure games. He gave the game score of 85 and Pelit Magazine Recommends stamp. He didn't talk a lot of how it has been modernized, but did note that it works in current times rather well even after #metoo.

Picture of the dev team, seems like there's an okay balance of men and women atleast.
1*uIhj6_1cSOBN6VqyhI6dbA.jpeg

One of the writers had this to say before the game was released https://medium.com/@Falko/so-the-new-leisure-suit-larry-that-i-am-writing-was-announced-e0fce26e2464
But … shouldn't this sexist guy just be buried and forgotten? How can you possibly endorse the actions of such a slimeball?

I think some negativity to the accouncement stems from the fact that is was just that — an announcement with just a few screens. Of course, this is just a glimpse how the final game will come across. I think it's safe to say that Larry won't get away with his shitty behaviour unscathed. We are more than aware of the fact that we live in the 21st century. :)

We know that some material in the game may be deemed offensive by some people (on the other hand: well, what do you expect from a Larry game :D ). Some of our jokes will miss their targets. But we won't be edgy or offensive, just to BE edgy or offensive. Our goal is to make a modern, fun game that sometimes makes you groan I can't believe they really did this, but at the same time we hope that you can laugh about yourself and about the crazy time we live in just as much as you can laugh about Larry.
I don't think this game should be judged by what Magna Cum Laude and Box Office Bust were. I agree that those games entirely missed what was great in the originals.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've gathered, it's pretty well updated to the "current times". Still haven't played it myself, but really interestet to do it at some point. I was a fan of the franchise growing up, starting from the first game to Love for Sail (the 3d games were dreadful). Helped me a lot in learning English. Don't really like the new design for Larry though, he was perfect in Love for Sail and in the remake. I got interested after reading a glowing review in a local gaming magazine (among the oldest game mags in the world), the reviewer also has written a book about history of adventure games and even made very emotionally affecting game about a child living in an alcoholic household. So I trust his judgement a lot when it comes to adventure games. He gave the game score of 85 and Pelit Magazine Recommends stamp. He didn't talk a lot of how it has been modernized, but did note that it works in current times rather well even after #metoo.

Picture of the dev team, seems like there's an okay balance of men and women atleast.

One of the writers had this to say before the game was released https://medium.com/@Falko/so-the-new-leisure-suit-larry-that-i-am-writing-was-announced-e0fce26e2464

I don't think this game should be judged by what Magna Cum Laude and Box Office Bust were. I agree that those games entirely missed what was great in the originals.

Huh, ok. Very interesting, well if this is available on Steam, I'll consider purchasing this LSL game and playing it to see how different it is compared to the classic '80s LSL games.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Huh, ok. Very interesting, well if this is available on Steam, I'll consider purchasing this LSL game and playing it to see how different it is compared to the classic '80s LSL games.
It's supposed to be in the same spirit as the originals, but with modern values. The jokes are mainly on Larry, he is a doofus like he always was. He still doesn't know how to behave, but people call him out on it. He's not rewarded for being gross. And now he's also out of touch with modern technology and dating culture (not that he ever was master in dating). Obviously it's still very raunchy game, that hasn't changed as it's still a sexual comedy. But apparently there's even some commentary on equality.

The devs also have few making of videos in their Youtube channel. It seems like they really put a lot of thought into the writing and designs, acknowledging how tricky Larry game can be to pull of right now.

If you end up getting the game and playing it, I wouldn't mind if you bumped this topic again to give your thoughts on it.

Edit: Destructoid had a woman reviewing it, she talks a bit about the more problematic things in the originals and how the new games handles those things. https://www.destructoid.com/review-leisure-suit-larry-wet-dreams-don-t-dry-529872.phtml
The game tackled Leisure Suit Larry's questionable legacy head-on in some parts, including a section where you play as past Larry in all his eight-bit glory. In this chapter, Larry meets a particularly infamous vile misogynist and reflects on just how disgusting his past views were. Ultimately, the story does not lecture the player and does not try to change Larry into the ultimate enlightened man. But that's OK because that's not who Larry is. Instead, we are encouraged to have a giggle at his expense, and appreciate his efforts to change.

Last edited:

Foot

Mar 10, 2019

Took me a while to figure out how that woman's bunny socks were staying up. They're tights! Cool tights.

I had assumed it was another Magna Cum Laude, but you've convinced me to give it a look sometime.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Took me a while to figure out how that woman's bunny socks were staying up. They're tights! Cool tights.

I had assumed it was another Magna Cum Laude, but you've convinced me to give it a look sometime.
Going by Destructoid review, this game might even make Magna Cum Laude non-canonical =P

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm both the Destructoid review and this review gives this LSL game positive marks for its story:

Summary

Wet Dreams Don't Dry is a collision of ideas that are thirty years apart. It's got a surprisingly liberal attitude to sex that doesn't excessively objectify women from 2019, but controls, puzzles, and willy shaped chandeliers from 1987. The game has its 'sexy' moment, but the story is more concerned about highlighting how far we've come since 1987 and that's really hard not to like. I'm looking forward to the next game, maybe Larry will get the girl. Or boy. Or both at the same time. Or a llama.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's supposed to be in the same spirit as the originals, but with modern values. The jokes are mainly on Larry, he is a doofus like he always was. He still doesn't know how to behave, but people call him out on it. He's not rewarded for being gross. And now he's also out of touch with modern technology and dating culture (not that he ever was master in dating). Obviously it's still very raunchy game, that hasn't changed as it's still a sexual comedy. But apparently there's even some commentary on equality.

The devs also have few making of videos in their Youtube channel. It seems like they really put a lot of thought into the writing and designs, acknowledging how tricky Larry game can be to pull of right now.

If you end up getting the game and playing it, I wouldn't mind if you bumped this topic again to give your thoughts on it.

Edit: Destructoid had a woman reviewing it, she talks a bit about the more problematic things in the originals and how the new games handles those things. https://www.destructoid.com/review-leisure-suit-larry-wet-dreams-don-t-dry-529872.phtml

Well, I decided to purchase this LSL game form Humble Bundle because it's on sale. It has a set of "age check" questions at the very beginning that you must get all answers correct to play the game or it will kick you back to the main menu.

The music is catchy and cool sounding, I've found a Steam DLC that gives an artbook and the full soundtrack for this game, I purchased it.

So far, it's interesting with Larry passing out suddenly in the late 1980s then somehow being revived in the 21st Century and Larry being highly confused with all the significant changes, especially with smartphones where he is forced to learn how to use one and how to use apps on the smartphone.

Oct 27, 2017
N-n-n-n-necrobump!

I just started this today after finishing Doom Eternal, and so far it's... actually pretty enjoyable? Seeing Larry trying to come to grips with the 21st century after having been asleep since 1987 is pretty amusing, and there are some fun nods to the original game. The animation/graphics are also pretty good.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
All I remember about this game in my short time with it was it frontloading jokes about modern tech companies with derisive parody names, which is like the weakest form of humor for a game like this.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
The game is actually somewhat decent. It's no comedic masterpiece and pushes this "tech unsavy old guy" trope a bit too much, but it does have charm and is overall enjoyable.

It also has an absolutely banger track Hells Pawn Club.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I quite enjoyed the game. The puzzles are pretty good outside of few WTF? ones.

Oct 27, 2017
All I remember about this game in my short time with it was it frontloading jokes about modern tech companies with derisive parody names, which is like the weakest form of humor for a game like this.

The game is actually somewhat decent. It's no comedic masterpiece and pushes this "tech unsavy old guy" trope a bit too much, but it does have charm and is overall enjoyable.

It also has an absolutely banger track Hells Pawn Club.

I quite enjoyed the game. The puzzles are pretty good outside of few WTF? ones.

Yeah, the tech company parody names were kinda groan-inducing, but Larry being a fish out of water has so farr been relatively funny. Becky's behaviour and persona also feel pretty on the spot for quite a lot of people in their early to mid-20s, really. I'll plow through this while waiting for my paycheck so I can pick up FFVIIR.