• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...e_Solo_its_standalone_Daydream_VR_headset.php

lenovo-mirage-solo-10.png

• make use of the Worldsense inside-out positional tracking technology
  • runs without a smartphone or PC or console
  • Run Google Daydream platform
  • Tentatively planned for second quarter of this year
  • expects its final retail price to fall below $400
  • Qualcomm 835 chipset,4GB of RAM, 64GB of onboard memory, a seven-hour battery, and a 2560 x 1440 LCD screen
  • controlled by a small handheld remote
  • able to track movement without the use of external sensors

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I hear Xiaomi is going to enter the VR market too, more competition is always welcome.

Oct 28, 2017
But its a fad, its dead. Why would companies keep investing?
Anyone that says it's a fad hasn't tried VR. This isn't a replacement for standard gaming experiences in the way that people were making the suggestion that 3D movies would kill 2D movies, it supplements them with separate experiences.

Maybe in the future they'll be able to blend the two together in a more cohesive way than Fallout 4 VR did but we'll have to wait and see on that.

Zaptruder

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
6DOF HMD with 3DOF controller... that's awkward. As a developer, I'm hard pressed to figure out how I'd get the best out of that. It'd be much better if it were 6DOF HMD with hand tracking and 3DOF controller (the hand tracking would turn the controller into 6DOF while it's within the view of the cameras - which is actually the plan for the future high end Oculus standalone headsets (not the Oculus Go)).

But its a fad, its dead. Why would companies keep investing?

Complaining about VR been a fad is a fad.

VR is a slow burner... but anyone that's tried it knows it's just where computing is going to go (along with AR under the mixed reality umbrella). It's just a matter of riding out the slow start until the technology and applications become indispensable.

Oct 28, 2017
Headset design inspiration clearly taken heavily from PSVR.
I really hope people don't see this as a negative going forward. The PSVR design is probably the most comfortable iteration we've seen so far considering the weight of current gen headsets. It's great for people with glasses and VR is still in its infancy. Now isn't the time for patents and legal battles. I hope these companies and the fans know this and don't take too much ownership over this stuff because it's all about getting things right at the moment. Hopefully PSVR Gen 2 takes some ideas from the Pimax/Vive Pro as well.

Any improvements should be shared because the industry is truly at its best when it shares, comfort is a huge concern and if PCVR was eternally stuck with velcro straps because of a patent or whatever, that would really suck for everyone involved

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope people don't see this as a negative going forward. The PSVR design is probably the most comfortable iteration we've seen so far considering the weight of current gen headsets. It's great for people with glasses and VR is still in its infancy. Now isn't the time for patents and legal battles. I hope these companies and the fans know this and don't take too much ownership over this stuff because it's all about getting things right at the moment. Hopefully PSVR Gen 2 takes some ideas from the Pimax/Vive Pro as well.

Any improvements should be shared because the industry is truly at its best when it shares, comfort is a huge concern and if PCVR was eternally stuck with velcro straps because of a patent or whatever, that would really suck for everyone involved

Very true

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its a VR headset that work on its own, no need to connect to anything. And it has 6dof tracking on the headset, which means it can handle low end PSVR games and games that are slightly higher end than current mobile VR.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Its a VR headset that work on its own, no need to connect to anything. And it has 6dof tracking on the headset, which means it can handle low end PSVR games and games that are slightly higher end than current mobile VR.
Would be interesting if it could be used in combination with a PC/PS4 to enhance the experience. Useful for those who can't afford a high-end PC.