• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I have sealed record albums and sports cards that came out in the last 10 years that are worth $400+.

I think you may be underestimating the value of historical pieces, LOL.

..and I'm no "rich" guy money wise.

i know, i'm just upset that people have 400 million to burn on a painting. *mumbles in corner*

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I travelled over 850 miles by car and bus to see one of his paintings at the Art Institute of Chicago. :)

Ok, there was more to the trip than that, but it WAS one of the major highlights.

For the uninitiated (some tasteful nudity ahead): https://artrenewal.org/Artist/Index/7

I'm lucky to have one of his most amazing piece in quai d'orsai in Paris. It's a huge painting, really impressive.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At first I was a little surprised it went to a Saudi buyer, simply because of the content, but it makes a lot of sense given the Louvre Abu Dhabi opening soon. At least it will be in a good home and will be on display for the near future

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is a little-known Saudi prince from a remote branch of the royal family, with no history as a major art collector, and no publicly known source of great wealth.

The painting's previous owner, Dmitry E. Rybolovlev, is a Russian billionaire who bought a $95 million Florida home from Donald J. Trump nearly a decade ago. Mr. Rybolovlev had paid $127.5 million for the painting in 2013 — less than a third of its sale price last month — and he is still locked in litigation with the dealer who sold it to him over that lofty price, among other transactions.

I see

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I call money laundering
It's not terribly outrageous to suspect something a touch fishy.
The painting's previous owner, Dmitry E. Rybolovlev, is a Russian billionaire who bought a $95 million Florida home from Donald J. Trump
And even before the disclosure of the record-breaking purchase in a New York art auction by one of his associates, Prince Mohammed's extravagance had already raised eyebrows, most notably with the impulse purchase two years ago in the south of France of a Russian vodka titan's 440-foot yacht, for half a billion dollars.
As it happens, Prince Bader is a friend and associate of the leader of the purge: the country's 32-year-old crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman.

It's hard to tell, it probably is worth that kind of money given how rich the wealthy are getting these days and the painting's pedigree. But it's difficult not to get suspicious when the seller broke a real estate record selling to Trump a house that absolutely was not worth the money it went for in the middle of the worldwide real estate crisis.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Makes you wonder of the valuation of the Mona Lisa, The Last Supper and The Vitruvian Man if they went up for auction. We'd be talking about upwards of a billion right?
Guinness World Records lists the Mona Lisa as having the highest insurance value for a painting in history. On permanent display at The Louvre museum in Paris, the Mona Lisa was assessed at US$100 million on December 14, 1962. Taking inflation into account, the 1962 value would be around US$790 million in 2016.
Yep, possibly a billion in an auction.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Apple of Eden

maxresdefaultp8qfh.jpg

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Sort of disingenuous to say that these paintings are being valued as historied artefacts of humanity, they're not. They're just investments for rich people.

But they are the sum of their parts. Works of art and the personal expression of the artist, a periodical piece, perhaps one that has taken the medium forward, a glimpse into past and finally a unique historical relic/document. To me it's crazy that people dismiss these works and just directly compare them to some fucking gaming poster.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you implying they are not one in the same?

In all seriousness, art prices seem to be going through the roof in recent time. Is there any speculation on why this is the case?

Too much wealth accumulating at the top that rich people need to find ways to spend it (instead of letting it trickle down by investing in the real economy)

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mohammed bin Salman is the real buyer, I'm surprised that people aren't making a big deal out of this.
Why would they? This is speculation until we know for sure. Also, its part of one of many assets to be housed in Abu Dhabi new museum, its available for the public tl enjoy, which should be encouraged.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would they? This is speculation until we know for sure. Also, its part of one of many assets to be housed in Abu Dhabi new museum, its available for the public tl enjoy, which should be encouraged.
I don't think that hanging a $450 million painting on museum in Abu Dhabi museum is going to feed the orphaned hungry kids and homeless Yemenis thanks to his bombings. And aside from being a major waste of money, it's super hypocritical coming from a guy who claims to be going after corrupt Saudi princes.

Oct 25, 2017
Paying for the brand name, really. One of a million paintings of Jesus doing this exact thing, but this time with a snow globe.

The auction house is the real winner here.