• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What´s Mr Bean´s true nature?

• He is an alien from outer space

Votes: 175 26.2%
  • He is a poor human whose life was fucked by aliens from outer space

Votes: 109 16.3%
  • He is a bean man, whatever that is

Votes: 360 53.9%
  • I´ve never seen the show, but I should

Votes: 24 3.6%

• Total voters

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (5 days): trolling with inflammatory drive-by + long history of same behaviour
Stonewall peado.

Oct 27, 2017
The man is a menace. Neither good nor evil but just a force of indifferent chaos.

So I guess a Bean Man?

I like this summation. Indifferent chaos is a good descriptor for Mr Bean I think.

Mr Bean is a wonderfully complex character - hugely selfish, typically oblivious to the feelings of others, almost childlike in his enthusiasms and interactions with the world in many ways, yet shows a vulnerable, caring side; his teddy bear who he treats as human, that baby who he gets lumbered with at the fair via extreme shenanigans and yet does his best to care for in his own curious way. He treads his own lines through the world, almost never choosing a logical or sensible option in the face of the many challenges he ultimately manufactures for himself combined with the things he desires; yet he maintains the facade of functioning adult and all the trappings of that; money, a place to live, a car. He does an exam at one stage so he is presumably learning to better himself. We never see a job I don't think, but he has colleagues who come to his terrible new year's Eve party and we see a man who desperately wants to impress and be liked but is incapable as he is utterly constrained by the bizarre structures of what passes for normality in his existence. Even when trying to entertain and impress we see his huge self interest at work, ensuring he has the only edible Twiglet and wine and the other guys get the twigs covered in Marmite and vinegar to drink. He shows a complete inability to plan ahead, typically adapting his plans on the fly; realising he can't get his new chair home so fashioning a functioning system to work the car from the roof instead of organising delivery; deciding to do some DIY and cutting great holes in his walls without the aid of a tape measure, or even clearing his stuff off the wall before starting.

Mr Bean is a free spirit, entirely unconstrained by social convention and logic, he breezes through life doing essentially what he feels like doing at any given time. And he is a massive optimist, everything he does is under the assumption that, no matter how obviously bizarre, it will work out. He sees the silver lining in every cloud; his beloved mini gets crushed by a tank - after the initial horror, he realises he still has his delicious bake sale fairy cake and everything is right with the world again.

I love Mr Bean. My kids love him too, it's timeless comedy.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I always interpreted the opening as Mr. Bean being cast out to the world as we all, in a sense, are.

Edit. I see this was already discussed.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
mr-bean-laundry-bully-lavanderia-scene-cena-1.gif

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just introduced my 8 & 9 yr old niece and nephew to him. They adore him as much as i do in my 30s.

He's awkward and endearing, i cant stop wanting him to do well, despite his lack of common sense. On a side note, i even love Rowan's Johnny English movies.

OP, as for your poll, i always thought he got kicked out of heaven.

OP
OP
Tetrinski

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I never considered the Angel possibility, it wasn't mentioned in the article I read. Interestingly, my SO and I were watching it yesterday and constantly finding reasons to believe one theory or the other, or things that contradicted our previous belief. I guess we'll never know for sure.

By the way, I love you ERA, you went for the joke answer 💚

OP
OP
Tetrinski

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I like this summation. Indifferent chaos is a good descriptor for Mr Bean I think.

Mr Bean is a wonderfully complex character - hugely selfish, typically oblivious to the feelings of others, almost childlike in his enthusiasms and interactions with the world in many ways, yet shows a vulnerable, caring side; his teddy bear who he treats as human, that baby who he gets lumbered with at the fair via extreme shenanigans and yet does his best to care for in his own curious way. He treads his own lines through the world, almost never choosing a logical or sensible option in the face of the many challenges he ultimately manufactures for himself combined with the things he desires; yet he maintains the facade of functioning adult and all the trappings of that; money, a place to live, a car. He does an exam at one stage so he is presumably learning to better himself. We never see a job I don't think, but he has colleagues who come to his terrible new year's Eve party and we see a man who desperately wants to impress and be liked but is incapable as he is utterly constrained by the bizarre structures of what passes for normality in his existence. Even when trying to entertain and impress we see his huge self interest at work, ensuring he has the only edible Twiglet and wine and the other guys get the twigs covered in Marmite and vinegar to drink. He shows a complete inability to plan ahead, typically adapting his plans on the fly; realising he can't get his new chair home so fashioning a functioning system to work the car from the roof instead of organising delivery; deciding to do some DIY and cutting great holes in his walls without the aid of a tape measure, or even clearing his stuff off the wall before starting.

Mr Bean is a free spirit, entirely unconstrained by social convention and logic, he breezes through life doing essentially what he feels like doing at any given time. And he is a massive optimist, everything he does is under the assumption that, no matter how obviously bizarre, it will work out. He sees the silver lining in every cloud; his beloved mini gets crushed by a tank - after the initial horror, he realises he still has his delicious bake sale fairy cake and everything is right with the world again.

I love Mr Bean. My kids love him too, it's timeless comedy.
Just introduced my 8 & 9 yr old niece and nephew to him. They adore him as much as i do in my 30s.

He's awkward and endearing, i cant stop wanting him to do well, despite his lack of common sense. On a side note, i even love Rowan's Johnny English movies.

OP, as for your poll, i always thought he got kicked out of heaven.
This is beautiful, thank you both for sharing.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Shout out to all the other late model Millenials that grew up watching Mr. Bean on HBO because they played at least a couple episodes every damn day.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God I love Mr. Bean, I like the description of him being an agent of indifferent chaos, it fits so well.

When he realises the question sheet has another page right as the exam ends is a moment that ingrained a primal fear in me.

It's been years since I took an exam, but it still makes me shudder.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen. This whole episode still makes Me howl, how they keep a straight face I will never know, that calculus bit at the start 🤣, what a psychopath

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
My dad used to start hysterical laughing whenever my bean did ANYTHING.

I remember my sister took him and my mom and me to see the first Mr. Bean movie, and my dad was hysterical laughing when he was just shaving in the beginning.

Then again, my dad also was hysterical laughing during Forrest Gump when he stops running. As my dad said while laughing , " He was running and then he stopped"

Your dad sounds like a fun person

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend and I have been slogging through Supernatural so the idea of Mr Bean being a fallen angel, in the context of angels from Supernatural, is even more hilarious

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He could have fallen from a cloud kingdom of "Bean Men," named such after Jack and the Beanstalk.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread has made me want to go back and watch some of the show, and holy shit how did it only have 15 episodes?

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
I love Mr. Bean, he is such a selfish force of nature above any societal rules.
Watching him at the London Olympics was such a nice and pleasant surprise.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
He is a bean man. Pod person. Alien.

One of the greatest and timeless comedies of all time. Right next to Seinfeld and The IT Crowd.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
So this is on Prime Video and now I'm forced to watch the show in its entirety instead of random epidsodes on German tv. Yay..

Edit: Oh, and I always thought he was thrown out of the afterlife (hell🤔?), not an alien.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
He's like a child, with a child's motivation, lack of empathy, and sense of entitlement. I think the intro is just symbolic of the fact that he simply is, much like the Joker. A place in the world was carved out for him, and he was inserted into it. By whom, and for what purpose, remains a mystery. He might have fled from an alternate Earth, but suffered an injury to his mind. He might be the product of a failed Time Heist. He remains oblivious to the horrible fate of his people, which he was unable to prevent.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
This thread has made me want to go back and watch some of the show, and holy shit how did it only have 15 episodes?
Really? Only 15 eps? I believe Fawlty Towers was only 12 eps.
These levels of comic genius should have had longer runs, but maybe if they were on longer they would have lost some shine. At least now they go down in history as comedy gold.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
XqclHz0.gif

As a kid, I always assumed he was a weird angel who got himself kicked out of heaven. The alien theories make more sense.
Shocked that it only had 15 episodes.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Only 15 eps? I believe Fawlty Towers was only 12 eps.
These levels of comic genius should have had longer runs, but maybe if they were on longer they would have lost some shine. At least now they go down in history as comedy gold.

I'm guessing it's hard to come up with original ideas. Police Squad went off the air after 6 episodes and the creator said he was sort of relieved as they were running out of ideas.

I hated the first Bean movie, as I recall almost every joke was recycled from the episodes.

GiddyPointlessHylaeosaurus-size_restricted.gif

I wish they'd never stopped. 15 episodes of greatness.