• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
DISCLAIMER:
This is not a thread about any specific game, please, you can take your talk elsewhere if it is about a single game. Also, please refrain from any inflamitory, console wars post. This thread is to explain and have a discussion on why it exists, the problems presented with it, and how companies themselves have made the culture of port begging pliable.

**PLEASE READ THE OP BEFORE POSTING**

So, here we are Era. The Switch is not only a success, it is one of the fastest selling consoles ever created, with a wealth of great games to play. However, there has been an increasing amount of vitriol between Switch owners and other console owners. Mostly, the qualms come through "Port Begging". Switch owners are really starting to get tired of feeling left out with specific games, and feel there are many games that are suited for the system. Other console owners are really tired of Switch owners coming into game threads wishing for Switch port. Now, both sides, are not really right here. There are times where fans have attacked each other on such matters. However, this thread is to perhaps try to explain why Nintendo fans are "entitled", why port begging is way more prevalent in todays market, the concept of "leaving money on the table", and Port Begging culture on Era.

The Entitlement Complex One Test at a Time:
One of the biggest complaints I see against Nintendo Switch users, is how "entitled they are". They expect that nearly every game could come to their system, but do you really blame them?
Let's freeze frame, and go back into a darker time, the Wii U era. In the death of third party games after the first year, Nintendo had pretty much nothing to keep them afloat. The ports that Nintendo fans got were way more expensive, had no extra features, and in general, didn't sell welll. Of which, third party support ended abruptly, causing some huge game droughts. Now, what did publishers say towards this. They merely said that the games did not sell well, and the games never came back again. These late ports of Wii U games were merely tests, and Wii U owners failed the "test".

Now, lets go back to the launch of the Switch. The thing was already sold out everywhere. However, publishers were, well. Still looking to a quick buck. So they said in various financial reports that underutilized ports with barely any work done on them, were tests to see "what kind of market the Nintendo Switch holds". This basically was a threat of, "If you don't buy X game, you will not see any other game". Some notable examples of this are from Capcom, both with Ultra Street Fighter 2, and Monster Hunter XX Switch Version(Japan Only). Bandai Nampo was also seen doing this with Dragonball Xenoverse 2, as well. Seeing this, Switch owners opened up their wallets and shelled out premium prices for games they can find cheaper elsewhere. Lo and behold, these games were "Smash hits", meaning Switch owners passed the "test". Only for publishers to still be sheepish regarding the Switch. Game development takes time and money, that much is clear. So it may perhaps be a while until "full support comes". But let me question you this: If you were a user who payed a premium price for a game on your console for the reasoning of wanting more games in the future, having the game sell well, only to not get the support you were expecting. How would you feel about that?

Switch owners act entitled.... Because they feel they are. They went through multiple "tests" from multiple different publishers, only to not get what they actually wanted. Now, its to say, that it isn't all bleak. Switch has gotten really good support from numerous companies, where they openly communicated where their support is for the Switch. Bethesda, Sega, Square Enix, in general, have had open communication with how they feel about the Switch. This is the reason why Switch owners are not busting down the doors of Square Enix, demanding game after the game. They also are not attacking the publisher either, because of the clear communication and acts of support. They will state their wish for what they want, and these publishers will say, "Perhaps Later", or "We are certainly looking into it". Now, it is not good at all to attack any sort of developer(or any person in general). However, the ambiguity is the thing that frustrated people. Publishers such as Capcom, never really state where they are in this cancel, so they use these ambitious "tests" just to generate advertising to sell cheap games in premium prices. Which will continue running a theme.

The Port Beg. Why Now?:
So, this really begs the question.
Why is port begging so much more prevalent on the Switch, more so than any other console seen to date? This really comes into two camps of reasoning. First, portability. The Switch has found itself in a peculiar position, in that it actually grants users more times to play games. They are able to play games on the go, giving them more time to play these games. If I had a dollar every time anyone said, "Oh man, I wish I could take X game on the go", I would probably be able to buy a luxury island. It is true, gamers have more time to game on the go. The Switch's snappy interface means that people can jump straight into a game, put it down, play it on the TV right when they get home. This is why software sales have been booming for the Switch, simply because gamers have more time to play and finish games.

The other camp is:
Again. Publishers. There have been a lot of times that publishers have stated, either through PR or Twitter. "If we see enough demand for X game, we will make a Switch port". This has encouraged Nintendo Switch owners to be extremely vocal about what games they want to see on the system, because they need to "prove" that there is a demand for a certain Switch port. This is why you have countless Twitter, YouTube, and Era posts stating "Oh I so wish this was on the Switch". Publishers have actively encouraged this type of talk, because it is free advertising. Even making a statement of "X game is not coming to Switch", provides advertising to the game, because these statements make their rounds within the media. While it may not be good news, it certainly provides more visibility for the game. Publishers are using the popularity of the Switch on social media, to their advantage. You even have celebrities(who are not being paid), asking for ports of their favorite games on the Switch. That is really nice advertising in itself, which is why this Port Begging will continue to be encouraged.

Leaving Money on the Table:
A lot of Switch owners say this, but what does this term mean, and it it actually right?
Companies, have a fiscal responsibility to their shareholders, their employees, and to themselves, in order to make as much money as possible. It is simply economics 101. You want to make as much money as possible, so you make decisions that are best to the company.

So, if you have games coming to other consoles, but not the Switch, the question is, is it fiscally responsible to leave the Switch out? Well, that completely depends.

So far, Switch games have sold really well, far more than they should of. It has cases of being the highest selling version of multi platform games(especially Indies), and has cultivated a gameplay focused hardcore audience. To the blind eye, where someone is not aware of development. It is easy to see, "Oh wow, all of these games are doing well, so X game will sell very well". Of which, that user is somewhat half right. It is very clear to see how, even if a port sells particularly well, it may not be worth it. There could be problems getting a game to run, it could lead to a negative impression of a series, it may not sell well. Yes, there are a lot of times where it is very clear that putting a game on Switch could make it sell more. However, especially with independent developers, that may mean a delay to their PS4 and XBO versions that they might not be able to afford. Delaying a game for a platform in lieu of 2 other platforms that have been working on for 1-3 years could be devasting, especially indie developers who are tight for cash.

So yes, perhaps a game might sell more for the Switch, but it may be extremely destructive to developers to use resources and make the port. At least in my opinion, the saying "Leaving money on the table" is not a good one. And that should not be our responsibility as gamers to carry out opinions in this way. Leave that for shareholders and developers.

PORTable Era, the Port Begging Culture of Era:
The ports never stop coming, and the arguing never ceases. Both sides of this fence, those who port beg, and those who hate port begging, have got out of hand. Port Begging is actually not allowed through Eras own rules, with their statement being that it would be best to contact developers directly. The rules have gotten a bit lax, as so much of gaming jouralism and financial briefings have been talking about Era's favorite portable console. Publishers are talking about the Switch, we are talking about the Switch, Media is talking about the Switch. It is just a never ending cycle of wanting games on this thing, don't you think?

Now, port begging on OT threads, and discussions about the game is totally not cool. Switch fans, imagine Sony fans going into Bayonetta 2 threads and clogging it up with "Why isn't this on PS4". This has happened before, and it is not cool nor prohibitive to discussion either way.

At the end of the day though, we all want to play our favorite games on our preferred console do we not? It is reasonable in my opinion to put in an opinion of what console people want a game on, so long as it is in a proper, isolated thread. So, for those of you who are absolutely sick of port begging, perhaps think about what you would do if your next anticipated game isn't coming to your preferred platform. Some people simply don't have the time, nor the money to own a PS4 Pro, a godly PC(especially with this market), Switch, and Xbox One X. And that is okay, because in the end we are still fans of video games. We should all remember that.

Now Switch Owners. Please, attacking other users and developers because a game isn't coming to a system is tactless, and makes you be quite the jerk. It is possible to want a game on a console, and publishers have actually conditioned the Switch fan base to do this. Ports simply won't happen without being vocal about it. Whether on here, or Twitter, or other social media, please be respectful. When a developer gives a firm "no" as well to a game. Leave it at that. If they do not want to support your console, just move on. By keeping up harrasment after a firm no, you are actually giving developers free marketing for the game which you cannot buy on your system. Move your talents of typing and wanting a game, and simply go for another game. Sometimes it just isn't possible to port a game, so move your interest to games that are coming to switch. Support the developers that are supporting the Switch, and give them more visibility. It will make for a healthier market, and actually will do a lot more to nudge more support for the Switch.

Conclusion:
So, with all that said. I want to open discussion to all of you. There have been wrongs on both sides, that I have wanted to clear up for a while. There has been a lot of vitriol between both sides, so I wanted to bring up some points as to why things are the way they are. Do you agree with these things? I think we can have a great conversation on communication between developers and fans, as that seems to be the main source of all of this craziness. So, I open the floor to all of you! Keep it civil, keep it safe. Don't be console warriors, and keep an open mind on both sides.

I think it is very important to have this discussion as the schism between console users and Switch users have been growing rapidly. There has been a lot of things wrong with how the Switch is treated, but it is important to see why users port beg. It is also equally important to support the developers who are all in on the Switch, and to take "no" for an answer. So, Era, the floor is up to you and discussion is now open.

Last edited:

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
I am interested in your topic and writup but really quick I just want to say it's hard for me to read the black text on Dark Theme.

Edit:

Beaten.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure this would be closed just like every port begging thread.

Port begging is fine, harassment is not. Now while I say fine, excessive port beg is annoying.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Fix the text color please, half of it is impossible to read with dark theme.

edit: now it's all black...

edit: seems to be fixed

Edit: broken again lol (all black)

Last edited:

Deleted member 5656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never had a problem with port begging, unless it's total nonsense. Like most of the time saying "I'd love this game on the platform I own!" is fine, why wouldn't that be okay? The only time it gets dumb is when it's obviously not possible, like with Bayonetta 3 being funded by Nintendo that'll never go anywhere else, or with first party exclusive games on PS4 like Horizon. Be realistic. Otherwise yeah, "port begging" doesn't have to be a bad thing. Show that there's interest for those platforms. Particularly since some developers feel like they require it in the case of the Switch...

Just a heads up, this is really hard to read on mobile dark theme.

Can confirm on desktop as well.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
It is terribly annoying, especially when people just say "tune down the graphics and resolution...simple!"

All the begging should be sequestered into its own thread, or banned outright.

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They expect that nearly every game could come to their system, but do you really blame them?

Yes, because, unless I actually developed the game, I am not aware of how easy or hard it would be to port said game to the Switch.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do remember before that moderators in the older forum were more intolerant to PS360 port begging.

Oct 25, 2017
Or you know the big one.

Downporting your game to significantly weaker hardware sucks. And no - it's not even close to an Xbox One or PS4. Stuff like HD remasters, fine but people asking for big budget AAA ports either don't know what they want or don't understand the difficulty in that. Doom was a huge exception and it still looks and runs like shit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Port begging is fine if you can make a reasonable case for the existence of the port and you can do so without derailing a thread. This is according to the site's FAQ.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do admit port begging for Switch is fairly obnoxious; at the same time, there are self satisfied entitled posters (not you, OP) who seem to believe that the Switch categorically should not be getting any games at all, because apparently its hardware would hold things back. It seems to go both ways, unfortunately.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
zjjhuoo.png

A compelling argument if I've ever seen one.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I can't read this on mobile with light theme. Is there text? It's a like a giant blank field.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Feel like the problem is you're framing the issue as some sort of conflict between Switch and non-Switch owners. Is it just me or is this whole thing incredibly petty?

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Can't read the post unless I mark it, is the text all white?
Anyway, I find the port begging annoying as it doesn't help to beg on this forum and it disrupts other discussions. I someone wants a port just ask the company instead.

And we have three switches in the family so it's not that I don't like the switch it's just not the place for it especially when it takes over every single thread about some games (*cough* MHW *cough*)

OP
OP
Lozjam

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Just a heads up, this is really hard to read on mobile dark theme.
Fix the text color please, half of it is impossible to read with dark theme.

edit: now it's all black...

edit: seems to be fixed
That's fixed fast, alright I can read this.
OP, what are you doing? Can't read your text.
I am so sorry! I am actually a bit color blind, and I did not realize the first part was red(to me it looked green!), so I am trying to get that all fixed as soon as possible. I am sorry this is taking away from the discussion as I figure this out!

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
There have been wrongs on both sides, that I have wanted to clear up for a while.

Honestly? This isn't a "both sides" argument. If the developer things it's profitable to develop a game for the Switch, they will. Porting games to nintendo consoles in general has been terribly inconsistent for 3rd party developers for a decade or more, and on top of that their system is FAR less powerful than the other consoles (and standard PC spec expectations), and isn't even the same architecture. Requesting a game is fine. Make a vote or survey to show your support is fine. But the incessant, whiny, entitled begging and screaming at publishers that are unwilling to port a game is tiresome and embarrassing.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
First, I too cannot really read the OP without highlighting the whole thing on dark theme. On desktop. I think you need to clear all formatting from the text. I think under the font color button there's an option for "none" which should fix it.

Second, I simply have no time to play games on stationary consoles or PC anymore, which is one of the points you brought up. Therefore I "port beg" because if a game doesn't come to Switch I simply won't be able to play it.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
something has to be done here. the begging has reached a point that is just obnoxious every new game thread asking "switch version" or "X game will be great on switch" etc etc.

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like the problem is you're framing the issue as some sort of conflict between Switch and non-Switch owners. Is it just me or is this whole thing incredibly petty?

Yeah, honestly I feel worse for developers having to deal with all of these people. If you don't own a Switch, it's easy enough to ignore.

Anarki

Oct 27, 2017
I am so sorry! I am actually a bit color blind, and I did not realize the first part was red(to me it looked green!), so I am trying to get that all fixed as soon as possible. I am sorry this is taking away from the discussion as I figure this out!
try "no color" option
edit: or remove formatting entirely by second to last button on edit bar

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
  • Most important, Switch is new and popular, a lot of people want their games on the Switch because it offers them a lot more time to play their games.
  • Series that were successful on past Nintendo consoles should do well on the Switch, considering it has a good chance of having a lot of those users.
  • Switch is technically capable of just about any current gen game.
  • The only games Switch can have a hard time getting ports of, should be games that were in development before Switch, these games might not have the assets available for the platform, for example, RDR2 did not have the Switch in mind, so it will be very hard to port the game to Switch.
  • Most games are made on engines that support the Switch, and make porting very easy.
  • Late or inferior ports of games to Switch have been selling surprisingly well.
  • Multiplatform is usually best for the entire industry.
  • Why leave out Switch owners?
  • Tell publishers to stop asking for us to port beg.
  • Nibel has a pretty good way of looking at port begging, but really it comes down to if a thread is being hijacked or pulled off topic.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm sure some is straight port begging, I think I'd argue that with the Switch you get what equates to portable begging; that is, it's less that people want things on the Switch because it's the Switch, it's that people want it on the Switch because they find some aspect of it's hybrid nature suits their use-cases for gaming in 2018. It's a machine that fits into peoples' lives in a different way to systems in the past, and that's inherently got appeal.

To some extent we saw this with the Vita as well - not hugely behind in terms of power, so you could imagine downgraded titles coming to it (and in Japan, in particular, many did)

Oct 25, 2017
I am a multi-console owner (including the switch) and it annoys the heck out of me how often I see it happening. With the occasional outright accusations of "lazy devs" and "they want the switch to fail". It gets truly ridiculous. It becomes a special kind of stupid when it's happening for games that are struggling to run at a steady 30fps on the base ps4 itself. Downporting is simply not feasible for a lot of games either due to power requirements for the game/systems and/or lack of funds in the case of indies, but many of the people who seem to participate in this consistent port-begging either don't get that or are willfully ignorant.

And no, devs do not owe it to us to design newer games with the switch in mind. If they feel the system is not powerful enough to accomplish whatever they want from their game, then that's that.

Last edited:

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
Or you know the big one.

Downporting your game to significantly weaker hardware sucks.

This can be true, but I think its beyond the scope of the typical forum user to speak to that. The bigger issue that seems to effect us all is that port begging disrupts conversation about the game itself. Its not unlike the situation where the developer's motives, behavior, or politics become the discussion instead of the game.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
something has to be done here. the begging has reached a point that is just obnoxious every new game thread asking "switch version" or "X game will be great on switch" etc etc.
LOL, you make it sound like a serious problem. Does reading those posts anger you? Upset you? Can't you just scroll past them? Or if it is that bad you could always set those posters on ignore. Then you never have to hear about the switch.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I told Matt Thorson once I'd love to buy Towerfall on Switch because the dual joycons would be great for local multiplayer.

A few weeks later its logo was in Nintendo indie direct.

Was this port begging? Did I do a bad thing?

Lysistrata

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paradise Lost
Very hard to read OP, but thread sounds more like a validation of your opinion on the topic more than anything else. That's fine but not very open to begin with.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It´s pretty simple: If you expect full third party support the Switch is the wrong (main) platform for you.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Port begging is very annoying derailing that adds nothing to a thread and can result in endless cyclical arguments and ruin threads. No one knows the circumstances of the developers and few understand the development and technical hurdles involved in this, so it's almost always an ignorant non-argument.

That being said that OP is unreadable.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm sure some is straight port begging, I think I'd argue that with the Switch you get what equates to portable begging; that is, it's less that people want things on the Switch because it's the Switch, it's that people want it on the Switch because they find some aspect of it's hybrid nature suits their use-cases for gaming in 2018. It's a machine that fits into peoples' lives in a different way to systems in the past, and that's inherently got appeal.

To some extent we saw this with the Vita as well - not hugely behind in terms of power, so you could imagine downgraded titles coming to it (and in Japan, in particular, many did)

This is exactly right. If the PS5 or XB2 have some sort of hybrid/portable component then I'll be greatly considering getting those, and I won't worry about what games do or don't come to Switch.

It's about finding time to actually be able to play these games, and that's not something I can do anymore in my life with a stationary console.

OP
OP
Lozjam

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
try "no color" option
edit: or remove formatting entirely by second to last button on edit bar
i cant see anything on the OP...
Very hard to read OP, but thread sounds more like a validation of your opinion on the topic more than anything else. That's fine but not very open to begin with.

Thank you very much.

OP is fixed, I am extremely sorry! I tried the "No color option multiple times. But perhaps now we can move on. Thank you. Now that it is fixed, I highly encourage reading the OP before posting again.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
LOL, you make it sound like a serious problem. Does reading those posts anger you? Upset you? Can't you just scroll past them? Or if it is that bad you could always set those posters on ignore. Then you never have to hear about the switch.

it does not anger me, but you go to any thread and you get hit with post. like this one just trying any justification for X game to be on switch.

• Most important, Switch is new and popular, a lot of people want their games on the Switch because it offers them a lot more time to play their games.
  • Series that were successful on past Nintendo consoles should do well on the Switch, considering it has a good chance of having a lot of those users.
  • Switch is technically capable of just about any current gen game.
  • The only games Switch can have a hard time getting ports of, should be games that were in development before Switch, these games might not have the assets available for the platform, for example, RDR2 did not have the Switch in mind, so it will be very hard to port the game to Switch.
  • Most games are made on engines that support the Switch, and make porting very easy.
  • Late or inferior ports of games to Switch have been selling surprisingly well.
  • Multiplatform is usually best for the entire industry.
  • Why leave out Switch owners?
  • Tell publishers to stop asking for us to port beg.
  • Nibel has a pretty good way of looking at port begging, but really it comes down to if a thread is being hijacked or pulled off topic.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been guilty of port-begging, but only because I want to express my interest. I'm not the kind of bloke who would request/demand that unrealistic ports happen (MH World, FFXV), but I like doing so where it makes sense. Honestly, I don't see much of a problem with expressing interest in a constructive way, as long as it doesn't de-rail threads. At the very least, I'd like to see "port-begging" posts coupled with an actual response to the thread in which they happen.

It's too frequent that we see a wall of posts saying nothing more than "Why isn't this game on Switch?". That's definitely what makes this practice so unlikable to others. It's entirely possible to express that interest, while also discussing the topic at hand!

Status
Not open for further replies.