• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Series has been going on for about 15 years and we've received a game/expansion every year since then. The games might not be for you but I can't think of a series that's been releasing annually this long and maintained a great quality level.

So if you've played em all, rank em. If you ain't, split it like this:

Best campaign: black ops 1

Best MP: call of duty 2

Best overall package: black ops 1

Black ops 1 was a trip. Everyone was cussing beforehand cos treyarch weren't shit back in the day. But this was the game they showed they were top dogs in the genre. The setting, gameplay, all Came together.

Gotta pay respect to COD2. Rinsed the multi back when it launched on the 360 (along with perfect dark zero)

sambills

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Their impossible to rank honestly. It all depends on which one you played at the right time of your life, whichever one dragged you in the most. Its like Mario Kart in that regard.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've played everything up to BO2.

CoD2's campaign remains the peak, while peak CoD multiplayer was Rifles Only on Harbor in either CoD1 or CoD2.

Oct 25, 2017
Best to worst
MW1
Infinite Warfare
COD2
Advanced Warfare
MW2
Black Ops 2
WW2
COD
Black Ops
WOW
Ghosts
COD3
BLOPS 3

EDIT: this is purely in terms of Single Player. Ranking the MP would be a lot harder.

Mar 8, 2018
UK
I don't think I could rank the others, but Black Ops 1 will always be top for me. Playing those Zombies maps nearly every day with my friends and discussing strategies at school was one of my greatest gaming experiences. No other game has ever come close to how fun that time was so BO1 will always be top for me.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
I am actually curious about the campaign quality. I try to take sometime each year to play the campaign, but I have been falling back lately.

Has been there anyone who went through all the campaigns MW1 onward?

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Campaign wise :
Mw2
Mw
Mw3
Blops
Blops 2
Waw
Ww2
Advanced warfare
Infinite warfare
Ghost
Blops 3

Mp wise :
Mw2
Mw
UO
Blops
Waw
Mw3
Ww2
Blops 2
Blops 3
Ghost
Infinite warfare
Advanced warfare

Only game in the series I haven't played is 3

Dyl

Oct 27, 2017
Best campaign: Black Ops 1

Multiplayer: Modern Warfare (original, not remastered) > Black Ops 1 > World at War > Black Ops 2 > Black Ops 3 > Modern Warfare 2 > WWII > Modern Warfare 3

Haven't played 1, 2, 3, Ghosts, Advanced Warfare or Infinite Warfare. MW2's multiplayer was great for the first month, until people figured out the overpowered loadouts and it become far too chaotic. MW1, BO1 and WaW (sans tanks) hit a perfect balance.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love list threads ^^

Black Ops
Ghosts
Call of Duty 3
Modern Warfare 2
Modern Warfare
Modern Warfare 3
Black Ops 2
Advanced Warfare
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty

Haven't gotten around to Black Ops 3 or Infinite Warfare yet, but I definitely skipped WW2.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
For me it's COD4>COD2>MW2>all the rest
Of those that I put the most time into which is those 3

Multiplayer goes to COD4
Campaign goes to COD4=MW2=COD2 they all had stuff I liked a lot campaign wise

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
I only played multiplayer. I focused on competitive. So this is my rank.

Black Ops 2
Black Ops
Modern Warfare 3
Black Ops 3
WW2
Advanced Warfare
Modern Warfare 2
Modern Warfare

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Black Ops > COD4 > Black Ops 2 > MW2/3

The rest come in at various different orders after. They're all okay but not as good as these. Ghosts comes in at the bottom. I still enjoyed it, but it's the worst one.

I only play the campaigns so I'm not counting multiplayer or co-op/zombies or anything.

I like the series that tell a continuing story. They've always felt more solid to me.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Campaign
MW2
CoD4
BLOPS2
BLOPS
AW
MW3
WWII
Ghosts
WaW
CoD3
BLOPS3

Multi
BLOPS2
BLOPS
MW2
CoD4
WaW
WWII
AW
BLOPS3
MW3
Ghosts

I omitted Infinite Warfare because I skipped out on CoD that year (felt too much like Ghosts for my tastes). I omitted CoD3 multi because the Wii version didn't include it, and that was where I got my start, hence why 1 and 2 are missing.

I know MW2's campaign is super ridiculous, but that's the whole reason I love it. I still think the snowmobile chase at the end of Cliffhanger is my favorite CoD moment. On the other end of the spectrum, Black Ops 3's campaign was hot fucking garbage. It was the only time I even had to force myself to finish a campaign, and aside from the general mindfuckiness of the campaign, the only memorable part for me was when you literally get ripped limb from limb at the end of the opening mission.

For multi, Black Ops 2 has been evergreen for me. For the last few years, I've gone back to it when I got tired of that year's CoD, starting with Ghosts. WWII didn't do that to me this year, but I stopped for the time being voluntarily, because I have a real problem where I won't finish my other games because I spend most of my gaming time playing CoD (or Rock Band 4).

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not going to list multiplayer, just campaigns. And it's just a rank about how I feel about the games today. I'll avoid COD 1 and 2 because of nostalgia.

A Tier:
Modern Warfare
Black Ops
Infinite Warfare

B Tier:
Modern Warfare 2
Advanced Warfare

C Tier:
Modern Warfare 3
Ghosts
Black Ops 2
World At War
WWII

Shit tier:
Black Ops 3

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Campaign
MW2
CoD4
BLOPS2
BLOPS
AW
MW3
WWII
Ghosts
WaW
CoD3
BLOPS3

Multi
BLOPS2
BLOPS
MW2
CoD4
WaW
WWII
AW
BLOPS3
MW3
Ghosts

I omitted Infinite Warfare because I skipped out on CoD that year (felt too much like Ghosts for my tastes). I omitted CoD3 multi because the Wii version didn't include it, and that was where I got my start, hence why 1 and 2 are missing.

I know MW2's campaign is super ridiculous, but that's the whole reason I love it. I still think the snowmobile chase at the end of Cliffhanger is my favorite CoD moment. On the other end of the spectrum, Black Ops 3's campaign was hot fucking garbage. It was the only time I even had to force myself to finish a campaign, and aside from the general mindfuckiness of the campaign, the only memorable part for me was when you literally get ripped limb from limb at the end of the opening mission.

For multi, Black Ops 2 has been evergreen for me. For the last few years, I've gone back to it when I got tired of that year's CoD, starting with Ghosts. WWII didn't do that to me this year, but I stopped for the time being voluntarily, because I have a real problem where I won't finish my other games because I spend most of my gaming time playing CoD (or Rock Band 4).

Ahem.

Go play Infinite Warfare's campaign.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ahem.

Go play Infinite Warfare's campaign.
Oh trust me, I plan on getting around to it. I've heard a lot of good things and liked what I played when they did one of those preview weekends where they let you do the first few missions. The multiplayer and the whole tying it to MW Remastered kind of left a bad taste in my mouth and kept me from picking it up anywhere near launch.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Just ranking the ones where I played MP and SP (best to worst)

MW
MW2
WaW
Blops
WW2
MW3
Ghosts

Not sure why but WaW is something special to me. It's not the best CoD game but it's the only one where I still remember stuff from the campaign.

I liked the IW campaign as well but never touched the MP.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I'm going to only rank campaigns:

Infinite Warfare
Modern Warfare
Black Ops
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 1
World at War
Black Ops 2
Call of Duty 2: Big Red One
Call of Duty 3

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Modern Warfare 1&2 have the best MP in my opinion. I also liked WAW, BO2 and COD2. The original Black Ops and Ghosts are the ones I enjoyed the least.

IW had the best campaign though I've only played COD2, MW, MW2 and Advanced Warfare.

haozz

Nov 7, 2017
I've only owned Ghosts through Infinite Warfare, though I've played MW2 and MW in the form of MW remastered. Even then it's hard to rank because I played the games to varying intensities and improved at multiplayer as time went by. I'd say

Infinite warfare
advanced warfare
BO3
ghosts

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
The games are impossible to rank really. IMO the novelty of playing the COD campaign for the first time won't be touched by anything else in the series. People forget that the game was a big deal because it was one of the first shooters to really nail that immersive storytelling style with no cutscenes. It was like a flashier Half Life. And really fun to play! Even as far as..... say, Modern Warfare 2, the campaign still really tried to hold up that legacy, but the multiplayer focus slowly ate that aspect of the series.

IMO the height of the multiplayer was Modern Warfare 1. It still had a novel feeling that the other games only tried to replicate. They are all fun in some base level type way, but that was the game that had novelty, fun, and..... well not balance, but it sure was fun.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I find this task almost impossible. My favorite campaign is definitely Black Ops 1 though. Favorite multiplayer would be Black Ops 3.
Beyond that? Fuck if I know, maybe MW2 for both. I remember playing CoD 2 shit tons as well.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Black Ops is probably top for me, closely followed by Modern Warfare 1 and 2.

The only thing that kinda puts me off BO1 now (I'm currently replaying it) is the way it handles violence. It feels way too over the top for what is otherwise kind of pulpy and goofy. Like, obviously it's a war series, but BO has this intense cynicism to it's violence that doesn't feel like it jives with the game and it just feels a tad off. But I still think the story is a hell of a ride.

So my list would probably be
1) Black Ops
2) MW
3) MW2
4) Infinite Warfare
5) Ghosts
6) World at War
7) Black Ops 2
8) Modern Warfare 3
9) Black Ops 3

L Corleone

Oct 27, 2017
Top 3 MP:
Modern Warfare
Black Ops 1
Black Ops 3

Top 3 Campaigns: (From what i've played)
World at War
Modern Warfare 2
Ghosts

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
World at War
Modern Warfare 2
Black Ops
Call of Duty 4
Modern Warfare 3
Black Ops 2
Finest Hour
Advanced Warfare
Big Red One
Ghosts
Black Ops 3

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
MW2 had the best campaign,
CoD4 had the best multiplayer.

This is for PC.
Where the CoD4 still had leaning,
which added to the tactical type gameplay.

The amount of dedicated servers for CoD4 during its prime was awesome.
The mods for competitive weren't bad either.

Also, all DLC on PC was still free.
Keeping the community together.

There were even community made maps.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the campaigns have been good except Black ops 3 (I have no fcuking idea what's going on)

WW2 is very very good, IW was good also

I wasn't a massive fan of MW2 as I felt they removed many of the cinematics and replaced them with a boring map and voice over. And don't think I ever played MW3 because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.