• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn the game seems so slow. I wish I could get my hands on it to try out but shit.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Forgot who it was that said it, but I recall reading someone saying that "simplifying" gameplay won't do shit to attract casuals because they'll dump the game in two weeks anyway. Those who stick around are the ones who are going to have to deal with this "simplified" gameplay if they want an active game.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly thought maybe simplifying the Roman Canceling stuff was a good idea, but I'm not sure about this at all. I haven't tried it obviously, but the first impression from all those videos is really bad.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Forgot who it was that said it, but I recall reading someone saying that "simplifying" gameplay won't do shit to attract casuals because they'll dump the game in two weeks anyway. Those who stick around are the ones who are going to have to deal with this "simplified" gameplay if they want an active game.

Almost sure you're talking about either Sajam or Max. It has been a popular talking point in a while

And also correct

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Double Helix had a GDC presentation in 2019 where they stated that there's never been any actual proof that simplifying mechanics gets people to buy the game.

Oct 25, 2017
With tweaks to the timing it could be fine. Seems like after the startup the rest is faster. It's like a curve instead of linear speed.

Also pretty disingenuous to show may in the first post when she has classically had one of shittiest air dashes in the game.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Should probably add this to the OP:

Strive
- Air dashes has stationary start up now
- After the start up, the moving part is immediately cancelable into normals(specials too probably)
Xrd
- No start up, start moving immediately
- air dashes can't be canceled into normals until you have already traveled a certain distance

So...
- Air dashes are weaker for general mobility
- Air dashes are stornger for getting in now... Well, if your character has good air normals
- For mixups, stuff like "low or air dash" mixups are weaker, but ambiguous cross up mixups are stronger since you can control when to cancel your air dash(not that much stronger if cross up protection return though)

Looks awful at first but knowing more about the change makes it less so, it's a big nerf to mobility which is still awful, but in a lot of situations the new air dashes will be stronger than in Xrd.

Piggybacking off of this:

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man if you answer the survey, you get higher priority to enter the closed beta

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Well, that's quite the change. Some top players at EVO Japan are getting into a closed beta a little while after the event, right? I'll wait to see what people has to say about the game after more lab time with it, though the panic this brings is funny and painful at the same time, lol *ouch.

This doesn't change what I said, it's too much of an easy read to anti-air and I main Ky who only benefits from this

You are still not getting into the Strive mindset, anti airs will be nerfed too, especially Ky's :v

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Almost sure you're talking about either Sajam or Max. It has been a popular talking point in a while

And also correct
Both Sajam and Maximlian have made several videos complaining that "simplifying" fighting games for casuals is bad and a waste but Maximilian has also actually played Strive several times and says it is a lot of fun sooooooooo...

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Both Sajam and Maximlian have made several videos complaining that "simplifying" fighting games for casuals is bad and a waste but Maximilian has also actually played Strive several times and says it is a lot of fun sooooooooo...
Max said both things in the same video, he finds it fun but it's potential is cut back

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Max said both things in the same video, he finds it fun but it's potential is cut back
The first time Maximilian played Strive at the demo event he talked a bit about his grievances and casualization(dont remember him ever saying anything about "potential") but then when he played it again with the developers he only mentioned the grievances a couple times and said it was "'lots of fun" and "really liked it" a dozen times.

So, he has played it and the more he plays the more he likes it.

Has anyone here played it yet? Anyone? Anyone at all?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first time Maximilian played Strive at the demo event he talked a bit about his grievances and casualization(dont remember him ever saying anything about "potential") but then when he played it again with the developers he only mentioned the grievances a couple times and said it was "'lots of fun" and "really liked it" a dozen times.

We only allowed to voice opinions once we played?

I personally couldnt care less what Max thinks.

Oct 25, 2017
So basically, it seems to me that they're trying to remove visual ambiguity from when you can act by giving it a clear start up and speeding up the second half.

From and on paper look it seems like good design. But with the baggage of every other fighter it's obviously pretty different

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

Don't take that as his final opinion. He also had fun playing FighterZ and now he doesn't enjoy it anymore.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Don't take that as his final opinion. He also had fun playing FighterZ and now he doesn't enjoy it anymore.
Yeah ...so? He doesnt like Street Fighter 5 anymore as well, or Mortal Kombat 11 and he didnt really like Guilty Gear Xrd either.

No one has a "final opinion" on Strive yet. Strive wont be out for almost a year whereas something like Dragon Ball FighterZ has been out for 2 years.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah ...so? He doesnt like Street Fighter 5 anymore as well, or Mortal Kombat 11 and he didnt really like Guilty Gear Xrd either.

No one has a "final opinion" on Strive yet. Strive wont be out for almost a year whereas something like Dragon Ball FighterZ has been out for 2 years.
Also IIRC a big reason he drops ANY game he otherwise enjoys is usually bad netcode and/or matchmaking. I know he's complained about DBFZ in this regard.

It's been a while since he even mentioned it though, so I may be mixing it up with something else...

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe these changes will be good, maybe not. Regardless these fair complaints are out in the open. Arc has a long time to figure this out right now.

Last edited: