• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I think the last all around great MGS game was MGS3.

While Kojima and his team maintained stellar production values and technical competency, MGS4,V and Peace Walker have falled off considerably when it comes to creative direction.

1) Awful treatement of female characters. B&B squad, Paz,Quiet mark a true fall from grace. Some of the worst in the past ten gen.Really egregious and terrible when kojima had previously been able to give his women some redeeming qualities previously.

2)recycled ideas and themes. I think any remotely fresh or interesting idea Kojima had has already been fully exhausted by the time MSG3 rolled out. Everything felt like a retread or a padding out in the latter games.

3) Forced shyamalan twists, shallow characterization, lack of new character types. This kind of the same as the 2nd point but yeah after non of the characters introduced served or added anything previously not covered in the series.

So yeah, I dont think MGS will be missed tbh at this point. It died a timely death especially after V. Its been exhausted fully as a franchise.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
MGS4 was a fantastic game that delivered in spades on what was promised. MGS5 is the best stealth game ever made, admittedly the story is bad and unfinished.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm no. Let's see.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is considered to be excellent. And as much as I hate Metal Gear Solid V, the consensus disagrees with me.

Even Peace Walker is known to at least be very good by the consensus.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Last good one was 3, I agree. 4 is ok-ish and PW and PP are trash.

Ground Zeroes was decent though.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
MGS5 has been a fun game so far with updates, ect. I think staying the traditional stealth route put a lot of gamers off coming from the action filled Rising and right now you could say MGS is taking a break. Kojima should feel good about himself and his work.

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
The last great Kojima game was Peace Walker so no. And the female characters thing is in the entire series, not just the new ones.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I loved peacewalker, but lets not ignore the fact that he was forced by Konami to make one MGS game after the other. Theres no prodigy out there who wouldnt struggle to keep things fresh after so long.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they haven't been since...MGS3?
Peace Walker is pretty Garbo, V is unfinished, never got to play 4 but I think a lot of people agree it's a bit weird/mixed at best.

There's good in each, but not really great wholes.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
MGSV has pretty much the greatest third person shooter gameplay/controls ever. Sooooooooooooooooooo...no.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
5 is a much better game than 4. 3 is my favorite but no other MGS can touch 5 on gameplay.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I see you don't have an avatar yet, OP. May I make a suggestion?
plaid-clown-costume.jpg

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, the MGS series was amazing from start to finish.

The side games were fantastic too (Ac!d, Rising).

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I think 4 is the weakest but damn I loved 5. Story aside, it has the best gameplay out of any of them in my opinion.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
MGSV is one of the best games this gen. If we're talking straight gameplay, the dude and his team have done an absolute stellar job with games like MGS3, 4 and TPP. They play like a dream and contain so much detail that you can't help but marvel at the whole thing. However, if we're talking writing, I've never really been a fan. I do understand your complaint about things feeling recycled, OP. I definitely got that impression too with 3 onwards which is really sad.

Personally, I'm gonna wait and see what we get with Death Stranding. If that's no better than his MGS stuff then I'll probably just tune out from now on.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be interesting to see how Death Stranding turns out. Based on what I've seen, I'm not even sure what genre it is, and looks very strange. I like Kojima and hope it turns out great, but the whole situation reminds me of when John Ramero was forced out of Id, started his own ambitious and expensive game with a brand new studio, and we ended up with Daikatana.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I actually enjoyed V for what it was, but i've said for a long time that MGS kind of fell off after 3.
I can see why people like 4, but it was the calling card that he was going off the deep end and really didn't want to do it anymore. With the later titles like PW and others further pushing that.

Despite that, I actually enjoy playing a lot of the other titles besides 4 and Portable Ops. But I don't have the love for them like I do 1 - 3 which I consider some of the best of all - time in gaming.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Yeah MGS3 was the last game I liked (I'm not sure how much credit Kojima deserves for Revengeance).

The series' weirdness wears out its welcome after a while.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5 and Peace Walker were utterly fantastic, I will hear no criticism of those two.
4 was a dumpster fire through.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I personally love 4 a lot. And while the story in V is rough, it's still the best third person/stealth gameplay this generation.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Had a blast with V all things considered.

I thought MGS4 story/cutscenes were so fucking bad at some points that I had zero expectation for V and was glad they went in a completely different direction focusing pretty much all the attention on the gameplay.

It was pretty clear Kojima was burned out of the franchise a long time ago, while I love MGS I'm kinda glad it's over and he was able to move on to other things.

Edit: I do agree MGS3Subsistence was the peak though.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
The gameplay of V is too good for this to be valid. Gameplay is the most important part of a game by far.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Kojima only envisioned MGS ending after MGS 2

everything else is fanfictin BS, although 3 is a good game

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Regardless of how you feel about the later MGS games (I love them, flaws and all,) the guy did PT, which is one of the best horror experiences of the generation. So nah, let's see Death Stranding first before we make this determination.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
1) Agreed but it's something I don't really care much about at least when it comes to MGS.

2) You might call it recycled but I consider it staying true to MGS. I don't agree with this point.

3) I love this about Kojima games. It's one of the top reasons I play Kojima games! The more insane, the better.

This is my opinion.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
MGS4 was the best. Hugely acclaimed and a big seller so odd narrative in the OP

MGSV played amazing.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMO MGS3 was peak Kojima.

100% this. I remember there being an interview with him where he said he had a discussion with one of his close colleagues (someone almost as high up on the dev team as him) and they both agreed that MGS3 is their crown jewel; their "masterpiece".

It is the most accomplished game in the franchise and everything about it helped to define Kojima's approach to the series going forward. It's telling that literally everything that came after it was tied to that era and that character in some shape or form. Kojima simply couldn't let the work breathe and move on. He had to keep fucking with the Cold War era lore that the game had established.

Everything that came after that was borderline farcical in nature.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Now game play wise MGS 4 and 5 are great, especially 5. Apart from that, the whole story just fell apart spectacularly. I still maintain there's no way the person that wrote MGS2 and 3 wrote MGS 4 and 5. The difference in quality is outstanding.

Coded convo's where epic in MGS 2 and 3 but then died in MGS 4. Also fuck what they did to Raiden.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
V is my favorite game. So fuck no. And P.T. But people have to push their "THE EDITOR IS BEHIND MGS" bullshit.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I agree that MGS hasn't been great for a long time. It's been 4 years! I mean granted MGSV was one of the best action games ever created and the second best game in the series after MGS2 but yeah I guess it has been awhile

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Agreed. Now game play wise MGS 4 and 5 are great, especially 5. Apart from that, the whole story just fell apart spectacularly. I still maintain there's no way the person that wrote MGS2 and 3 wrote MGS 4 and 5. The difference in quality is outstanding.

Coded convo's where epic in MGS 2 and 3 but then died in MGS 4. Also fuck what they did to Raiden.

I couldn't possibly agree more with every word of this. Sums up my thoughts wonderfully.