• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Now live

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0964-CUSA03630_00-RESETERADYNAMIC0

Available only in regions served by PSN north america, as PSN Europe can't be bothered. it's free though, and region free, so people just need to create a US account to grab it, and set their PS4 as their home console for that account.

Edit: avatars are now live as well:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/grid/search-game/1?query=resetera

Archived development below:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

erathmfns1g.gif

Yeah, you read that title correctly. After s fair amount of time, a little hand wringing, and a kind of a weird DM to Cerium, here were are. I've had no shortage of requests for an Era dynamic theme, we just finished up with E3, we're in the middle of some other stuff, but now seemed like a reasonable time.

This is being conceived, first and foremost, as a community project. Something to help ease the doldrums of summer (seriously, who actually plays videogames, anyway?). I will consider any constructive input that you folks want to give. Our mission will be to create a premium-quality dynamic theme that will feature much of the proprietary programming I've developed over the years (it was kind of strange to write that).

Some basics:
  • What do you get out of this?
    Not much really - I enjoy the process. I've done work like this for companies big and small, from Lions Gate to Sony to Iridium. I guess I like making shit, and having community engagement that's positive is nice for a change. Or maybe I like having a captive audience for my attempts at music. That said, it should be clear my work on this doesn't imply any sort of association or affiliation. And in line with the terms of service, I am not promoting my own work beyond signing this one. As the next point makes clear...
  • The ERA theme, once complete, will be distributed 100% for free once it is done.
    Though my studio (well, me) is creating this, it's really just intended to be a fun / interesting project and a way of killing some of that pesky free time I sometimes find stuck between the cushions of the couch.
  • We will probably create a couple Avatars as well, to complete the package.
    Sorry, no guns or flaming skulls. They will be free as well, though.
  • It will be available on the North American PSN only, since SIEE has separate requirements for distribution of dynamic themes on their store that it will not satisfy. I have no control over this.
    Take heart, however, as, since it will be region free, if you live in any other regions you will simply need to create a North American account to download it.
  • In addition to the visuals, we will also compose custom music and sound effects.
    So please be excited?
  • If posting suggestions, Please, please, please, do not request inclusion of licensed content. And be judicious about reference material - I'd like to avoid any cross-pollination of anyone else's ideas. But, if I've ever made something in the past that you think we should revisit with this, by all means, feel free to remind me or post a video.
  • I plan on possibly doing some 'live coding' sessions on the weekends.
    I will set up a YouTube stream that will allow us to take real-time input and let you see the theme evolve. (but only if there is interest).
  • Suggestions are welcome and of course encouraged, but I'm not restricting myself to those ideas.
    I've got a mind of my own, after all.
  • I'm chipping away at somewhat minimalist and clean.
    I think that will appeal to most folks.
  • Icon customization will be minimal, and stick to the standard stock icons.
    Colors will be dictated by the theme's overall . . .uh . .theme.
  • The theme will utilize time-of-day functions to employ both light and dark themes, if the overall design lends to it.
    Meaning it will have some component of "Day" Era during the daytime, and "Dark" Era color schemes at night.
  • The gif at the top is just something I made for this thread.
    I expect the actual theme to be cooler.
  • There is no release date.
    It's done when it's done.
  • The site administrators have final review / say before anything gets submitted.
    Not to dictate actual content, mind you, rather to ensure they feel the quality of the final product is up to par. This is per my request, not theirs :)
  • Once up, they won't necessarily be up indefinitely.
    Just FYI.
  • I really like bullet lists and bold fonts.
    Double spacing is neat too.

I'll update this thread periodically, and I'll update the OP with live stream session times in advance if there's enough interest.

So...Yep.

Last edited:

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Wicked awesome. Looking forward to hearing some of those sounds and what kind of music you'll decide on accompanying the theme

I also get old-school Rare vibes from the gif.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I'm excited. Already like that simple gif.
Time to get an US account.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely watching some of the live streams (even if not live), really interested to see how these are made.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Very cool! As usual you guys are wizards :)

Would it be possible that the logo itself be given some crystal-like aspect, to give it some "pizzaz"?
I'm thinking like an Amethyst.

IMG_1199.JPG

Thanks for all the good work!

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm imaging a 3D ResetEra logo in the background that doesn't rotate or anything, but instead, shifts between colors and slightly changes shape periodically, to represent PlayStation logos from each console generation.

PS4 = rounded edges, bright white on blue background
PS3 = angled slightly and with flourishes reminiscent of the original Spiderman-font PS3 logo, metallic silver on black background
PS2 = the sides of the logo become thinner and take on the purple-blue gradient of the OG PS2 logo, with a smoky blue void reminiscent of the PS2 OS screen in the background
PS1 = rounded edges, the sides of the logo become thicker and take on the four colors of the OG PS1 logo, with a grey background

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Needs lots of purple. Also, I think it be cool to see quotes from posters of ERA's history show up in the background that are universally enjoyed or memed here. I know some of us still use meme's from the old website, but I feel they're still part of this community of ERA as well.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Such a shame that I can't have it on my Australian account that I use 99% of the time :( still excited!
You can have any number of account on one PS4, all of them can have that PS4 their 'primary'. All the content (including the them) can be used by any other account on that PS$.

So yes, you have have that theme on your Australian account. Same goes for all the freebie from all the different region, you might want to look into that...

Trojan

Oct 27, 2017
Yes M0dus! Your last version for <redacted website> was so good (especially the music) that I still have it up and need a suitable replacement! Dark theme vote here.

Edit: love the simple design and would love a chill, synth tune to set the mood. Understated is appreciated in my book, something I can leave on for an hour and is great in background

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
M0dus' themes are the best and I've spent hours browsing what's out there. Now if Sony could just fix their broken search so I can find this when it releases...
Yeah, even on browser their theme search is shitty. I think there was a thread here with the links or was it on the other site? I just used that

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure most people use NightEra, so my unpopular suggestion is to make it DayEra themed. Off-white/gray mainly with a smaller horizontal bar of purple on top; and then, when you go up to the top icon bar it's all purple, and the Era logo is centered above it in white. If there were any music I'm thinking of something that sounds like the DreamCast 3DS theme.

But that's just my amateur graphic design aesthetic, lol. More importantly, thanks so much for finally doing this m0dus! This is gonna be awesome.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
As long as I can read the white text labels okay and the night time color scheme doesn't melt my eyes in a dark room, I'm sure I'll dig whatever you make!

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
That's cool! I still am not feeling Night Era's purple and have still been on that legacy wave .I hope we can find a happy purple medium for it .

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I probably have terrible input, but I like a dark background with glowing(bright?) colors... looking forward to whatever it may be.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Dope. Thanks for this.

Never used the gaf one because of the color scheme, but Era's is just more visually pleasing. Can't wait!

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
You can have any number of account on one PS4, all of them can have that PS4 their 'primary'. All the content (including the them) can be used by any other account on that PS$.

So yes, you have have that theme on your Australian account. Same goes for all the freebie from all the different region, you might want to look into that...
Huh, weird. My PS4 Pro and Aussie account are my primary system/account, so idk why it never lets me install themes that are purchased on my secondary US account. I assume IT has to be the primary account? That's not going to happen, I've spent thousands on my AU account.

Unless I'm misunderstanding this situation.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Branding is the first thing that puts me off with dynamic themes. Nothing more annoying than having a cool theme with a game title arrogantly emblazoned across it.

Remember that Firewatch is the best dynamic theme ever and go from there. ;)