• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the recent news of the Epic game store, there are lots of things which can be criticized from the third party exclusivity deals, to the poor regional pricing, so the huge number of missing features even compared to Steam's "rivals" like Origin, nevermind Steam itself. I see this commonly excused on this website because "it's still new, the features aren't all there yet". I have my problems with this, but I'd like to discuss something else in this thread.

The reason being, there is one feature which they have actually implemented, yet their implementation is so bad that it is worth criticizing by itself. Their absolutely god awful refunds policy. I believe this is worthy of discussion by itself.

Their refund policy works as follows: You get exactly 2 refunds per year, and at the end of each year you get extra refund credits. These credits don't stack, so you are always limited to a maximum of 2 refunds. They also advertise this as being a "no questions asked" refund , but we know that not to be exactly true: https://www.resetera.com/threads/epic-store-non-compliance-with-gdpr-and-refund-policy-reddit.85913/

Sources:

How do refunds work on the Epic Games store?
We will offer two no-questions-asked refunds per player within two weeks of purchase.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/about

bKqdXIh.png

This flies in the face of actually competent refund policies offered by practically all of their competitors, who all offer an unlimited returns policy with the only stipulations being based on the time since released and the time played.

For example, Origin offer what they call the "Great Game Guarantee", which gives allows you to refund an unlimited number of games, as long as it is before 14 days from the purchase date, or 24 hours after first opening it. However, you are not allowed to return the same game for a refund more than 2 times. Steam allows you to refund an unlimited number of games, as long as you haven't played it for more than 2 hours. Gog offer their "Money Back guarantee" , for technical problems faced within the first 30 days of purchase.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
As someone who has refunded 2 games since Steam started offering refunds, ARK and LEGO Worlds (which I re-bought later when they fixed the original issues with it), this seems like a way to openly penalize people for getting refunds on games. My understanding is that the multiplayer in Ashen right now is busted, they don't acknowledge it on the store page, but if you get a refund because of it, that's 1 of 2 for the year, and that's with only a small handful of games on the service, and no review or support system in place to know these kinds of things ahead of time.

What a mess.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
It won't be a problem personally, as I'll be limiting my Epic Game Store purchases to zero per year as long as this policy exists. And realistically even after they change it because I'm not happy with any of their decisions so far.

I've also never taken advantage of a Steam refund.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait it's limited to 2 at a time always? Holy shit lol. I thought it was going to stack each year which would still be awful but at least it'd be more than fucking two!

Oct 27, 2017
yeah that's a no from me, dog.

Also apparently you need to send them a long list of personal account info to them over email to 'verify you own the account' before they can process the refund.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Wait hold up. They are legit offering a "only two refunds per year" policy? I feel like that will cause problems in the EU. Along with problems from me. Like why the fuck would I buy anything from this store when every other store offers a better refund policy?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
What the fuck? No way it's just two per year. How the fuck is that considered a good policy?

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
There is already plenty of threads regarding the Epic Store. As this thread doesn't seem to be adding anything new to the conversation and is already covered within existing threads, we're locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.