• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You really dropped the ball with this one, OP.

And to everyone still thinking that Germany "hides its history" — Jesus Christ people. If you really need a video game forum to clarify things like this to you... Pick up a book, open a news paper, watch BBC, have a look at the world you live in.

ButeoViridis

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
You really dropped the ball with this one, OP.

And to everyone still thinking that Germany "hides its history" — Jesus Christ people. If you really need a video game forum to clarify things like this to you... Pick up a book, open a news paper, watch BBC, have a look at the world you live in.
Sorry, but I think the OP does not communicate what you think it does. I guess the shortest compilation of the discussed issue is this 15 minutes long interview with Christian Schiffer, given you understand German.
This is not about the usual "But my 128² pixels textures!", but how "preemptive actions gone mad[1]" are able to run against a (partially antiquated) law's intention and the side effect that a good chunk of people who only notices Germany within the gaming sphere thinks we are all denying or ahistorical Eselkappenträger/asshats. There can be value in a discussion regarding it.

[1] This is the actual thing, it was more done than needed.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
The update Oynox made to the OP is an excellent source of information for those who wish to partake in this discussion. It should give everyone some understanding of how the German people deal with the ghosts of their past. I assure you that every German citizen has already thought a lot about this subject - it'd be impossible not to -, and dismissing this fact is really disrespectful.

Argue in good faith, keeping in mind that people of all nationalities read this board, or you'll be given a time-out.

OP
OP
Oynox

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whew, I was about to edit my OP one last time, putting all the old content into a spoiler tag and just present my original idea for the thread, discussion video games as art and if Wolfenstein still has the same value as antifacist game if the Jews etc. were removed. Also, those articles did a much better job explaining the situation, I am so sorry. Maybe I will edit the OP anyways and put them more visible to the top. Thank you for the title change, I was also about to request one.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
There is a difference between genuinely asking about german history/laws and outright acting outraged or even making incorrect accusations even AFTER the "educate them" part has already happened on page 1 and every page after that, 7 pages into the thread.

People are allowed to not know stuff and still engage in a conversation. But maybe one should be more careful about what they say if they have no idea yet.

Do I think it's pitiful? YES! Do I think it should be moderated: NO!

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Do I think it's pitiful? YES! Do I think it should be moderated: NO!
Repeating misconceptions that have been refuted all over the thread is not discussion and should rightfully be moderated. I'm not in this thread to tell people over and over again how Germany thinks about Nazis.

Oct 27, 2017
Guess it depends on what we, the customers, actually want.

my personal (german) opinion about this matter:
having no swastikas is perfectly fine for me and and they should remain censored in games.
renaming Hitler to Heiler .. no real opinion. Maybe that's fine? Maybe that's already a bit too much? Dunno.
removing the beard or replacing all context of jews is too much self-censorship and Bethesda shouldn't do it.

I think you have to elaborate on that. Why is no swastikas fine but the other changes are not? Or is it just an "I don't care about it"-fine?

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whew, I was about to edit my OP one last time, putting all the old content into a spoiler tag and just present my original idea for the thread, discussion video games as art and if Wolfenstein still has the same value as antifacist game if the Jews etc. were removed. Also, those articles did a much better job explaining the situation, I am so sorry. Maybe I will edit the OP anyways and put them more visible to the top. Thank you for the title change, I was also about to request one.

I was avoiding this thread because I saw that it quickly became a mess and proper sources regarding laws were not actively mentioned.

Thanks for the changes to the OP, I hope it leads to an informed discussion.

Personal opinions:
  • No swastikas are par for the course with these types of releases.
  • Hitler being called Heiler or Chancellor is a change in fine with.
  • Hitler without a moustache I find comical.
The final point regarding how the game handles Jewish characters I think is the biggest point that everyone was discussing.

In game you find out that BJs mom is a Jewish woman who immigrated to the Southern US. I felt that BJ being a member of the primarily targeted ethnic group was interesting and added depth to his character due to scenes occurring in the latter half of the game.

If they changed Jewish characters to traitors in the international release I feel that it would definitely take away from the impact that it had on me. Thankfully it was not.

If I had grown up in Germany I would very likely be able to see through all of the changes that were made as they are very transparent. I think that filling in the blanks would be easy enough and that the impact wouldn't be lost because I would understand what it was supposed to be originally. I think that the changes wouldn't bug me but the reasons behind the changes would.

After reflecting on it I am starting to think that maybe some of those laws should be reevaluated, and at the very least games should be allowed to be considered art under the law.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Some of the assumptions about Germany here are giving me a damn aneurysm, not gonna lie.

Removing swastikas is par for the course at this point but all the other stuff is Bethesda going overboard.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Good grief some of the misinformation in this thread is unbelievable. Seems some folks simply have no idea what happens outside their homeland. Also please change the title again by adding "self-" to censored otherwise you give the impression this was done due to authorities' involvement.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Who is this Hitler guy anyways? Never was taught in history class, or as we used to call it: victory lessons.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Holdthefuckup.
From that article in OP it says (translated):
The Jews in the German version are no longer Jews, but are simply called "traitors", Yiddish also becomes High German.
Is this true? Doesn't this fuck up a lot regarding Set Roth, Da'at Yichud and the ancient technology plotpoint being that it's Jewish? It sounds incredibly disturbing that you could suddenly attribute that important item Set Roth obsesses over, and everything else from Da'at Yichud, to being German in origin.

The hell Zenimax/Bethesda?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yiddish is not Hebrew. Yiddish is a German-based language that's only slightly more different than a thick accent of a local dialect. Those Hebrew names are all still in.

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know you are just trolling, but anyway, just to let you know.

- It's part of growing up in Germany to learn about Hitler and the Nazis
- In school, you'll learn more about it than probably in any other country of the world.

In school we did an excursion to a concentration camp nearby Berlin, and on top of that, a survivor of the Holocaust (in a concentration camp) was with us. Telling us about it. Oh yes, we really fucking try to ignore our past.

Now I'm angry, damnit.

Yes I apologies to you and all the others that reacted to my fly by night comment. I should have thought out my comment better, I 'm fully aware that what I said is nonsense and should have limited my displeasure to the the game only.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yes I apologies to you and all the others that reacted to my fly by night comment. I should have thought out my comment better, I 'm fully aware that what I said is nonsense and should have limited my displeasure to the the game only.
Thanks for stopping by again and writing this! I'm completely with you on the game, I don't understand either why they are doing it.