• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
For the benefit of those who have not played and would like to read the topic, please mark all spoilers.

100114-clock-tower.jpg

The Clock Tower series is a survival-horror game series that originated on the Super Nintendo in 1995 in Japan. It has gone on to be a series composed of six games, though unfortunately nothing from or related to the series has been seen since the spin-off, Haunting Ground (the rights to the series are held by Capcom as it stands).

The entries in the series go as such;

-Clock Tower (1995 original game for the SNES, Japan-only but a fan translation exists.)
-Clock Tower: First Fear (1996 remake of the first game released in Japan on PSX and PC. English translation done recently.)
-Clock Tower II (Known as Clock Tower in America and Europe as it was the first Clock Tower game to release outside of Japan, and released in 1996 in Japan, 97 in America, and 98 in Europe, all on PSX.)
-Clock Tower II: The Struggle Within (Known as Clock Tower: Ghost Head in Japan. Released in 98 in Japan, and 99 in America on PSX. Due to the weird naming system regionally, there are two Clock Tower II's that exist, and both are completely different games.)
-Clock Tower 3 (Released 2002 in Japan and 2003 for in America and Europe, for PS2. First full-3D Clock Tower game, and also is technically the 'last' game in the series proper.)
-Haunting Ground (Demento in Japan. Essentially Clock Tower 4 as it builds off of CT3's systems, even though it's technically a spin-off. Released in 2005 on the PS2.)

There has been a film that has been in development hell for years, but never officially cancelled (last word was in late 2011).

There have been a few games in development that have been directly inspired by the series over the years, the most notable being NightCry, Remothered, and Wretcher.

Typically, if the question gets raised of what are the scariest games of all time, Clock Tower will almost certainly show up somewhere. I have never personally found the series too terrifying, but it can't be understated how the original game especially was much scarier than about any of its competition at the time. It also unfortunately is maybe forgotten by the passage of time for modern audiences (I had a somewhat surprising culture shock when I mentioned this game series in a stream of 100+ horror lovers, and very few of them knew what the Clock Tower series was, and even less had ever played or seen them).

In many ways, I would say Clock Tower is one of the first true horror games. Outside of Alone in the Dark, Sweet Home, Forbidden Forest, and a few other arguable titles, the original game is one of those horror games that pre-dates Resident Evil, and is honestly one of the first very serious attempts to make a horror game rather than a horror-themed game. While scares are subjective, I'd also argue that Clock Tower was much scarier and well-realized than its competition at the time.

This is also where I must shamefully admit I have not yet actually pushed through the whole series yet either. At the time of writing I still must complete the second character route in Clock Tower II (PSX), and play Clock Tower 2: Struggle within in general.

This series is one of those series that I really would like to see a proper sequel for in this day and age, but heavily doubt it'll ever happen proper. The IP belongs to Capcom, and they haven't done anything with it in over 10 years outside of a Haunting Ground cameo in Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

tatsunoko_vs__capcom__haunting_ground_by_missyumibelli-d4zdldl.jpg

^The cameo in question.

The bright side is it's received a surprising amount of 'spiritual successor' love over the years, with the last big one being NightCry and another one just about to hit known as Remothered: Tormented Fathers. But those are still in the end their own thing and with no big budget backing.

But let's dig in, shall we? To briefly touch on each game in the series.

tumblr_n4i81i1Zwg1s62xdxo1_1280.gif

Clock Tower - SNES

Probably the most recognized entry in the series despite it never releasing outside of Japan. A unique take on point'n'click games where you actively have to avoid a deranged killer who stalks you around the area with giant scissors as you solve puzzles and explore a mansion that you and some other orphan were adopted into.

A fan translation exists.

3.jpg

Clock Tower: First Fear - PSX/PC

An enhanced port of the original game, the main changes were some additional art assets, completely reworked music and audio, a few new secrets and gameplay additions, and some additional places Scissorman could pop-up from.

Was only released in Japan, but a fan translation has been completed as of May, 2015.

clock2.jpg

Clock Tower II - PSX

Known only as Clock Tower in America and Europe. One of the two 'Clock Tower II' games, this game was the first time the series saw a release outside of Japan officially (which is why it's just "Clock Tower" in America/Europe, and Clock Tower II in Japan). This one is a direct sequel to the first game that occurs one year after the events of the original game. when suddenly Scissorman returns. The series official foray into 3D, and while the graphics are dated the game plays pretty similarly to the original game and is the only example in the series of any sort of direct continuation in the story.

tumblr_m0c6v5Z4q41qfa1jdo1_500.gif

Clock Tower II: The Struggle Within - PSX

Known as Clock Tower: Ghost Head in Japan. One of the two 'Clock Tower II' games. More of a spin-off to the series, it has no official ties to the previous storylines, telling the tale of a girl named Alyssa, who was rescued by a couple when she was near killed by smothering. She suffers multiple personality disorder, and deals with murderous visions. We join her as she leaves a mental hospital to stay with extended family in an attempt to deal with her dark urges... But when she gets home, there are body parts laid about. Gameplay is the same, but nothing else is. It's highly regarded by many as the worst in the franchise, and unintentionally hilarious.

500px-Corrodor.png

Clock Tower 3 - PS2

The first game in the series to change-up the gameplay, giving you direct control over the character rather than it being a point'n'click. Also tells a different story than the previous games, and has mixed response from its fans, in big part as the game is rather silly in many ways. Stars a girl named Alyssa (not the same Alyssa as Clock Tower 2: The Struggle Within) who comes back to her mom's home from boarding school after being explicitly told to not come home for a few weeks. Of course, shit goes down, as we begin to travel through time to encounter mass murderers, and punish them as we find out we're a magical girl! No, I'm not making that up.

HG2.png

Haunting Ground - PS2

Known as Demento in Japan. A spin-off, but really an evolution of Clock Tower 3. It's a game that deals with the horrors of being chased and perversion as we join a girl named Fiona who wakes up trapped in a castle stark naked with some twisted people who all for one reason or another want her womb. Her only aid through all of this is her dog, Hewie, while she must face the horrors of the castle, hide, and escape her potential terrible fates. For better or worse, probably more well known in this day and age than the rest of the series by a more general audience.

clocktower_poster_02.jpg

Clock Tower: The Movie

A movie in development hell that will probably never see the light of day. Was announced in 2008, last word we've heard was in late 2011, but the person who was last directing it kind of died so...

header.jpg

NightCry - PC

Spiritual successor by the director of the original Clock Tower game, it was a PC (released)/mobile (still to release) game following a group on a cruise ship when a murderous some mystical Scissorwalker begins to kill them all off. It certainly was rough around the edges and unapologetically old-school, but it still retained some of the series charms through all of that and actually had a pretty decent story for the series standards.

header.jpg

Remothered: Tormented Fathers - PC

Started in 2007 as a fan reimagining of the original game with an interesting 2D style, has evolved into a game in development that's inspired by the series in 3D. Planned to be a trilogy, and its Early Access version literally releases the day after I make this topic, so to see if it can hold the name as being a good spiritual successor to the series.

wr_scr_16.png

Wretcher - PC

Another indie game inspired by the series, but to be seen if it'll ever see the light of day. It's had a demo out for a while though: http://wretcher.com/#download

---

With the upcoming release of Remothered: Tormented Fathers, and generally just lack of discussion and really acknowledgement of the series, let's discuss this often underlooked series.

Last edited:

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
Good thread, as always.
I own all the CT games except for 3 so I really should give them a try one of those days. And I liked the very, very little I played of Ghost Head, as ugly and clunky as it was.

Tarahiro

Oct 28, 2017
Liverpool
I played the PlayStation 1 version of Clock Tower when I was young and....
i found it scary back then but I watched a video playthrough recently and it wasn't as scary but I think that might be partly because I wasn't in control of it.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I personally love clock tower 2 (not ghost head). I rented it when i was about 13 and yeah, i did not know what i was in for. It controls badly but while scissorman approaches, it just serves to heighten the tension. I've played all but 3 and the stories are complete cheese but all of it originating with a game that rips off phenomena so heavily was bound to have a story that is ridiculous and barely makes sense. I bought nightcry the day of release and it retains a majority of what makes clock tower great (for me). Very underappreciated games, i feel.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played a Clock Tower game, but I loved watched a Let's Play of Clock Tower 2: The Struggle Within. Its story is firmly in so-bad-it's-good territory.

I should give the actual Clock Tower 2 a try.

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic thread.

Clock Tower First Fear and Clock Tower 2 are amazing.
Struggle Within also get's a bit too much hate in my opinion. I like it.

I don't care for ''3'' on PS2, but Haunting Ground was good.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Clock Tower 3 was the only one I ever played, and I know it plays almost nothing like the previous games, but I really enjoyed it. And its insanity was directed by filmmaker Kinji Fukasaku, of all people, who had previously worked on Battle Royale.

Iride

Oct 28, 2017
It was kind of amazing how weird Clock Tower 3 got at times, even if you look past the fact that Alyssa fights back against the Subordinates by becoming a magical girl archer.

SNES Clock Tower and Haunting Ground were fantastic. It's wishful thinking, but I'd love to see Capcom revisit it, or even make a proper Clock Tower 4.

LaneMartain

Oct 27, 2017
Old Clock Tower was great and led to some interesting frights. Sure, just take the car and drive out of there, seems like the sane option. Nothing could go wrong...

Additionally, Haunting Grounds' soundtrack was the bomb digity.

Rymuth

Oct 26, 2017
With the exception of the first game, I've played them all. 2 is my favorite. Scissorman scared the crap out of us. He really deserves a place amongst iconic villains.

Resident Evie

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
One of my favourite game series! The original is heavily based on Phenomena, a Dario Argento directed horror movie featuring a young Jennifer Connelly. Definitely check it out if you get the chance, it's a little known 80s horror gem and the Switzerland setting is quite beautiful. The first game is so heavily inspired by Phenomena that a movie version of that game would be all but redundant.

The sequel is great as well, I recently played it through with my bf for the first time. Never knowing when Scissorman is going to pop out is truly fear-inducing. It's a great one to play through with friends.

Clock Tower Ghost Head suffers from an awful last third and some frustrating gameplay- it's probably my least favourite.

Human Entertainment made some truly innovative story-focused horror games, it's such a shame they closed down. I'm also a fan of their Twilight/Moonlight Syndrome series which also feature point and click gameplay and escape sections.

Clock Tower 3 is a flawed but fun experience, despite some very dodgy voice acting and repetitive gameplay. Despite the escape aspect, it plays very differently to the PS1 titles. It's much more Resident Evil in style (which makes sense since the IP changed hands to Capcom after Human folded.)

Haunting Ground is one of my all time favourite horror games. It borrows a lot from Resident Evil 4 and there are some very memorable creepy antagonists. It's a huge improvement from Clock Tower 3.

Overall a fantastic series with some fun gameplay, as long as you're ok with being almost completely physically helpless in a game. The entire concept hinges on that, so it's definitely a love it or hate it thing.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I have a special love for the series. The SNES game was so far ahead of its time, it's truly a shame that it was a Japanese exclusive. Clock Tower 1 is really great in terms of quirkiness. The 3rd was kinda too silly I felt. It lost much of its horror aspect very quickly and was often very goofy, despite some very gruesome deaths. The arguably best entry was Haunting Grounds if you include it as a spiritual successor. Had two of my scariest moments in my gaming life with that. Never got around to play the 2nd entry. Will have to watch a LP at some point.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favourite game series! The original is heavily based on Phenomena, a Dario Argento directed horror movie featuring a young Jennifer Connelly. Definitely check it out if you get the chance, it's a little known 80s horror gem and the Switzerland setting is quite beautiful. The first game is so heavily inspired by Phenomena that a movie version of that game would be all but redundant.

The sequel is great as well, I recently played it through with my bf for the first time. Never knowing when Scissorman is going to pop out is truly fear-inducing. It's a great one to play through with friends.

Clock Tower Ghost Head suffers from an awful last third and some frustrating gameplay- it's probably my least favourite.

Human Entertainment made some truly innovative story-focused horror games, it's such a shame they closed down. I'm also a fan of their Twilight/Moonlight Syndrome series which also feature point and click gameplay and escape sections.

Clock Tower 3 is a flawed but fun experience, despite some very dodgy voice acting and repetitive gameplay. Despite the escape aspect, it plays very differently to the PS1 titles. It's much more Resident Evil in style (which makes sense since the IP changed hands to Capcom after Human folded.)

Haunting Ground is one of my all time favourite horror games. It borrows a lot from Resident Evil 4 and there are some very memorable creepy antagonists. It's a huge improvement from Clock Tower 3.

Overall a fantastic series with some fun gameplay, as long as you're ok with being almost completely physically helpless in a game. The entire concept hinges on that, so it's definitely a love it or hate it thing.

I fucking love Giallo horror films, so have seen all of Dario Argento's works, and the series in general is one of the only franchises that deal more heavily with Giallo Horror. And yes, even with the scissor death scene at the start you can see where Clock Tower took influence all over Phenomena (even if it obviously reinterprets them for their own ends, or drops elements like the physic bug ability).

I've heard a lot of bad things about Ghost Head but haven't played it yet. I need to finish the second character route in Clock Tower II though (the Clock Tower (PSX)). For Clock Tower II (the direct sequel), I actually think it's in many ways a bit goofier than some remember it but it has some fun with how Scissorman does pop up and have its moments. Though I did personally enjoy the homely locations it has before the big castle that makes up the last third of the game, but that may just be me.

I want to be able to play the Twilight Syndome games someday, I keep hoping someday they'll be translated as that's a series I've always been interested in but have no way to play them as they're in a big way text extensive. I'm hoping with the recent release of The Silver Case there may be an official release down the line though.

I kind of love Clock Tower 3 more than most, it's a very silly game but it's got a lot to enjoy I think. The things that are 'bad' about the game I think are enjoyably so and have their charms. Given it's a pretty drastic shift from what came before and lacks the more serious tone and better execution that Haunting Ground that followed had, so I can understand the reception it's gotten, but I think it has enough interesting and entertaining going on to be a fun experience. Plus some of the bizarre but catchy music for the game, like this Scissor Dance song.

Haunting Ground is partially fascinating simply due to its connections to Clock Tower 3 and Resident Evil 4, all while trying to spin it into its own thing. Shame it wasn't a success, while it's debatable especially against the original game I personally feel Haunting Ground ended up being the best entry in the franchise. I also think its whole location, as bizarre as it is, happens to be one of my favorite settings in horror games. There's a lot of creativity in about every room and it both mechanically, art-wise, and level design wise is all very interesting to me.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clock Tower: First Fear, Clock Tower 3 and Haunting Ground are really good games that aren't too goofy like the other 2 CT games. Plus as said, HG borrows from RE4 so that's pretty cool, and HG is still to this day a unique horror gem that hasn't been copied yet. There's been games influenced by HG but not to the point where it's eerily similar. There's clear Giallo inspiration used in HG with the semi-erotic undertones and the general feel to the game.

NightCry I was super, super excited for and I Kickstarted the Collector's Edition but man the game was a disaster. Chapter 2 infuriated me so much it was like the train pursuit mission from Driver 3 all over again. And then Remothered looks equally as worse. CT really needs a game like HG again, even if it's a side scroller like the original.

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
Thanks for making this Dusk Golem . I always wanted to enjoy the Clock Tower series back then, I tried out a lot of the first two games on PS1 but never finished them.

Back in 2003 I played - and highly enjoyed- Clock Tower 3. Crazy cutscenes, lovely run and hide gameplay, grotesque enemies, lovely horror scenery! The late Kinji Fukasaki did some great great work on the cutscenes direction. Very underrated game!

Haunting Ground was similarly brilliant! Graphics were insane for 2005! Oh how I wish we get more traditional horror games like this these days - particularly from Japan where they are a rarity nowadays.

I actually decided to play and finish the SNES version of Clock Tower the First Fear recently, for a SNES game the game was really ahead of its time.

I'm currently playing through the first English version of Clock Tower on the PSone. It's a bit clunky but fun to visit and I want to make sure I finish it this time after failing to do so back in 97.

I recall playing a lot of Clock Tower II The Struggle Within and enjoyed it very much back in 1998 despite the horrid critical reception it got back then. Do you recommend playing this all the way Dusk?

As for Nightcry and Remothered I am waiting for the handheld/console versions respectively.

Thickstone

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to play the snes one but couldn't get over the controls and the layout. Seemed boring.

The first one for PSX has become pretty rare. Managed to get a copy for a good price but didn't really find it enjoyable.

The third for ps2 used to be my most played game. I still know the best routes through the stages and how to cheese the killers. Fun times.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to get into this series for over a decade now, but for one reason or another never came around to it and still haven't. I really should, maybe next Halloween I'll play multiple in the series, because I've had my hands full this year!

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I really enjoyed all the Clock Tower games with the exception of the Alyssa/Mr Bates game. That one was just weird in almost every aspect, and there was too much "adventure game logic" situations that really put me off the game. Lots of trial and error things like forgetting to pick up something would end your game prematurely. That and it was just fucking weird

I probably wouldn't hate it as much if the other games in the franchise weren't so fantastic. But they are, so the comparisons are inevitable.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love the SNES entry, one of my favourite horror games of all time, the sequels kinda sucked and Clock Tower 3 is straight up bizzare magical girl game.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I absolutely love the SNES entry, one of my favourite horror games of all time, the sequels kinda sucked and Clock Tower 3 is straight up bizzare magical girl game.

Clock Tower 3 was a bit weird and the whole "Rooder" thing was a bit fucking weird but I still thought the concept was pretty solid. It was still predominantly a stalker game though I appreciated that they give you an opportunity to fight back at the end of each scenario. I also loved how they kind of modeled them on real life serial killers although as I've grown older I've realised just how tenuous that link was.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Clock Tower 3 was a bit weird and the whole "Rooder" thing was a bit fucking weird but I still thought the concept was pretty solid. It was still predominantly a stalker game though I appreciated that they give you an opportunity to fight back at the end of each scenario. I also loved how they kind of modeled them on real life serial killers although as I've grown older I've realised just how tenuous that link was.
Also do not forget the most exaggerated mo-cap I have ever seen in a video game. It was an interesting game but definitely not a scary one.

Deleted member 9840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was always more afraid of Jennifer Simpson than the Scissorman to be honest. Her look and the loud noise of her steps really creeps me out. I'm expecting her to crawl out of my monitor one day.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
The only Clock Tower I've ever played was Clock Tower 3 and I played it with some friends during October for some Halloween vibes. The game was so bizarre and hilarious and wonderful. The Magical Girl subplot comes out of nowhere and wow at those motion capture scenes.

It ruled. Definitely was disturbing at times, but it wasn't really scary.