• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So God of War has been out for a few weeks, it's one of the higher rated games of the generation, and it's fucking fantastic all around. Its success basically guarantees a follow-up. Which brings me to: what should that follow-up be like?

The original God of War template was one that the series stuck with for six games, by which time it was long in the tooth and everyone was ready to move on. While I sincerely hope the new template won't be run into the ground as much, I do hope that Sony Santa Monica continues to build upon it for a few installments at least. For the sequel, here are the primary things I would like:
  • Bring back the old score! Bear McCarthy's new music is great, but I see zero reason why some of the iconic old music couldn't have been mixed in as well. There were several moments in the game when, for example, The Angry Spartan, even if tremendously slowed down, would have fit right in (you know what moments I am talking about). I understand the reasoning behind a clean musical break, but for the next one, I hope they embrace the series' musical heritage more willingly
  • Bosses: This is probably my second greatest area of disappointment with God of War- there aren't that many bosses, and those that are there lack the spectacle and viscerality of the original series with few exceptions. I hope they're willing to go bigger with the next God of War in this regard (there were already a few bosses, especially some of the optional ones, that showed us how this would work in the new format for the series
  • Camera: Please let me pull it back. Please ditch the one shot. A lot of the game's problems (such as the Quick Travel system, Quick Turn, FOV) all have to do with the camera. Ditch the zoomed in camera, ditch the one shot, and we're golden.
  • Don't wait for the PS5! Personally, I'd love a quick turnaround for the new one. The engine and format is in place, hopefully a new one can be out by late 2020, early 2021.
Above all, I want them to stick with the new formula for a while. It's perfect for the series, and we've seen hints of greatness from it on the first go already. I hope they stick with it and continue to build on it, and I can't wait to see where they go with the new game, whenever it is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.