• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Like many others, hype for Batman is rising right now. I think this a great opportunity for all of us to enjoy some top-tier, but potentially lesser known, Batman media.

I wanted to start with something inexpensive, self-contained & beautifully drawn so a lot of people can feel comfortable picking it up.

With that, I present to you 2 of my absolute favorite Batman comics:

The first is a 50-page story about Batman, Catwoman, Superman & Lois. It takes place right after Bruce & Selina get engaged. I have reread it countless times, and it always makes me remember why I love these characters so much.

You can buy it (Tom King's Batman, issues 36 & 37) for $6 which is an absolute steal:

The respect they share is so awesome - I hope one day we get to see the World's Finest together on the big screen as they were meant to be:

yntj3458ea201.jpg

vwiwjqv.jpg

The next is for those excited about Reeves Batman and looking for some dark detective work - and you can read it for free with a Comixology Unlimited trial:

https://m.comixology.com/Batman-The-Black-Mirror/digital-comic/48354

Though this is Dick in the suit, if you are excited for a thin Batman doing some real detective work you are in for an absolute treat.

81bkMnqApdL.jpg

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
Thank you OP for the recommendations! I'm definitely tempted to check out The Black Mirror.

While I'm posting here, could anyone recommend me more quality Batman comics based on on I've read so far (see below list)? I liked all of them:
  • The Long Halloween
  • Dark Victory
  • Year One
  • Court of Owls
  • Hush
  • Arkham Asylum
  • The Dark Knight Returns

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you OP for the recommendations! I'm definitely tempted to check out The Black Mirror.

While I'm posting here, could anyone recommend me more quality Batman comics based on on I've read so far (see below list)? I liked all of them:
  • The Long Halloween
  • Dark Victory
  • Year One
  • Court of Owls
  • Hush
  • Arkham Asylum
No Man's Land. It's long and spans a lot of writers/artists/titles but it's pretty great aside from a single awful Robin issue by Larry Hama that sticks out like a sore thumb.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

• The Long Halloween
  • Dark Victory
  • Year One
  • Court of Owls
  • Hush
  • Arkham Asylum

I honestly think The Black Mirror is your next step, if you enjoyed all of those.

That comic panel is some mad respect stuff.

Seriously - it is such a damn good relationship and I truly love how those 2 issues explore it

Put the Court of Owls comics in there too since a new game based on it is coming.

No

Oct 25, 2017
My recommendations:
  • The Man Who Laughs
  • Dark Knight, Dark City
  • Joker's Five Way Revenge
  • The introduction to Ra's Al Ghul issues (I'm sure it's collected somewhere)
  • EVERYTHING by Grant Morrison

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
51pTCmOeeIL.jpg

An absolutely wonderful and unexpected take on Batman that I think really got overshadowed by a lot of other Batman films, comics, and games at the time that it came out is Kurt Busiek's recent Batman: Creature of the Night. Not only is John Paul Leon absolutely 100 percent on fire with his art in this book, delivering some Michael Lark level visuals and super inventive but subtle panel design, Busiek genuinely has a fresh take on the Batman mythology that has metatextual levels that don't disappear up their own butt but manage to tell a good story that's only half about being batman while the other half manages to be about being a Batman reader. DEFINITELY check this one out if you haven't already.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
No Man's Land. It's long and spans a lot of writers/artists/titles but it's pretty great aside from a single awful Robin issue by Larry Hama that sticks out like a sore thumb.

I think I will buy the Graphic Audio book, which I hear is excellent. It's on sale for 60% off too

51pTCmOeeIL.jpg

An absolutely wonderful and unexpected take on Batman that I think really got overshadowed by a lot of other Batman films, comics, and games at the time that it came out is Kurt Busiek's recent Batman: Shadow of The Bat. Not only is John Paul Leon absolutely 100 percent on fire with his art in this book, delivering some Michael Lark level visuals and super inventive but subtle panel design, Busiek genuinely has a fresh take on the Batman mythology that has metatextual levels that don't disappear up their own butt but manage to tell a good story that's only half about being batman while the other half manages to be about being a Batman reader. DEFINITELY check this one out if you haven't already.

Consider it bought

Oct 25, 2017
Death of the Family/EndGame just confused me in the end but I liked it. Had some truly scary moments.

Batman Venom was brutal.

Gonna read Asylum again actually.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle's runs on Batman and Detective comics

Detective Comics #583-594, 601-621, 627
Batman #455-466, 470-476
Shadow of the Bat #1-5

Collected in the Legends of the Dark Knight: Norm Breyfogle hardcovers and elsewhere.

4698697-01.jpg

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
More people need to be exposed to the madness of Batman Odyssey.
screen-shot-2012-10-10-at-11.44.42-am.png

main-qimg-126ffa08752e27ba81cf67bff4a80fea

... Seriously, The Black Mirror is one of the best Batman stories ever, regardless of Dick as Batman.
batman_black_mirror_mondo_print_552b8db2-62c7-477b-a278-36698e1a10b3.jpg

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend Court of Owls to any new reader. I thoroughly enjoyed the Snyder Capullo run and it's a great entry point for anyone new. There is a moment toward the end that really, really impressed me with its panel creativity.

All the classic stories are great reads too. Killing Joke, Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween, Hush are all fun and easy recommends.

As highlited in the OP, I enjoyed Tom King's more "domestic" story lines. There is stuff to enjoy throughout but I don't think it's required reading.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I've been rewatching Batman: The Brave and The Bold and I just love it so much. It's not in the same league as Batman: TAS, but I think it is criminally overlooked. I love love love the whole Starro arc, and how they foreshadow it in the opening scenes of so many of the Season 2 episodes.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
The actual best Batman is the Morrison run, but I think the Snyder run is probably the cleanest, most uncomplicated run of fun Batman stories. At least until Superheavy/Bloom.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
He's been around for 80 years and DC is well past market saturation on the number of Batman books they release on a weekly basis. Plenty of opportunity for plenty of writers to get a crack. And what great comic book writer doesn't want to play with Batman?
What a pointless argument this is.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
My usual yearly Batman involves:
Watching Begins, TDK and the Warehouse Scene in BVS; Under the Red Hood & Return of the Joker
Reading Court of Owls, Long Halloween & Hush.
Playing any Arkham. I recently played Origins on PC at 2K/60fps and man that was great. I feel like playing Begins on Dolphin one of these days.
I hope TAS/Beyond shows up on HBO Max because I haven't seen those in ages.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The respect they share is so awesome - I hope one day we get to see the World's Finest together on the big screen as they were meant to be:

yntj3458ea201.jpg

vwiwjqv.jpg
I prefer the Court of Owls/Long Halloween/Hush-type Batman, but absolutely love when the comics do this kind of juxtaposition between Bats and Supes. I haven't read many Superman comics (none really, just a few issues here and there), but contrasted with Batman is when Superman shines IMO

I can't think of any Marvel heroes who share such an immediate and distinct dichotomy. Even Cap and Iron Man don't come close. Shame that BvS poisoned that live-action well for at least a decade

Christian

Oct 25, 2017

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
If you are going to read these I suggest picking up the Morrison Batman omnibus 2. It's fairly cheap and the concurrent story to Dick and Damian is actually super important.

Morrison's Batman and New X-Men runs are probably my two favorite comic book runs. They're both so good.

Last edited:

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I've been rewatching Batman: The Brave and The Bold and I just love it so much. It's not in the same league as Batman: TAS, but I think it is criminally overlooked. I love love love the whole Starro arc, and how they foreshadow it in the opening scenes of so many of the Season 2 episodes.
I absolutely loved Brave and the Bold as well. Just a joyful love letter to not just Batman as a character but the DC universe as a whole. And since I'm also a Batman 66 nerd, I'll throw my personal vote behind the Batman 66 series of comics. Not only were they a gloriously campy continuation of the TV show, it ultimately gave us the 66 rendition of Two-Face we never got in the actual show (adapted from the unused draft written by Harlan Ellison, no less).
TC7j0.jpg

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I prefer the Court of Owls/Long Halloween/Hush-type Batman, but absolutely love when the comics do this kind of juxtaposition between Bats and Supes. I haven't read many Superman comics (none really, just a few issues here and there), but contrasted with Batman is when Superman shines IMO

I can't think of any Marvel heroes who share such an immediate and distinct dichotomy. Even Cap and Iron Man don't come close. Shame that BvS poisoned that live-action well for at least a decade

I think Logan & Scott count, but nothing beats Clark & Bruce.
I think you'd really like both my suggestions

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna miss Bats' and Supes' double dates
c5b208b07cfb1f8913ffe1a6107c2c14.jpg

(They're at a county fair on superhero night, so Bruce and Selina dressed like Supes and Lois, and Supes and Lois dressed like Bats and Catwoman)

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
It's insane how many great runs Batman has had in the comics.
It's hard to find a time when Batman hasn't had something good published. Every other comic franchise has had some bad years, but even the ancient Batman comics are fun to read.

I'll echo the recommendations for anything by Morrison. Great stuff.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished Batman White Knight and it was spectacular! Really good story that could be adapted into other mediums.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I want to read some good 90s/early 00s Batman. Something before the book turned all dark and gritty. Like the stuff around when Brubaker was on the book.

I did read the Paul Dini Streets of Gotham stuff a few weeks ago and loved it. The stuff with Hush was so good.

Looked into it, and I'm gonna wait until it is completed. It will not be a long wait.

I have a large backlog of comics, but I just got Ipad Pro 12.9" and I'm slowly going through them. :)
Yea I was waiting for the Deluxe to re-read White Knight, but I wont have the patients to wait for Curse to get one to read it.

TheRooster12

Aug 26, 2019
It's hard to find a time when Batman hasn't had something good published. Every other comic franchise has had some bad years, but even the ancient Batman comics are fun to read.

I'll echo the recommendations for anything by Morrison. Great stuff.

Daredevil is probably the only character to surpass Batman in comic consistency. And maybe some Vertigo stuff like Swamp Thing or whatever.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Batman is cool. I have a feeling that the new film will be a mix of Year One and Batman Earth One. You guys should burn through the Earth One books. They're really good.