• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
George had his chance to make a new trilogy and he F'd it up. I'd have had zero faith in his ability to deliver a satisfying new trilogy. At least the ST had one almost universally-liked film, one that was polarizing, and whatever TROS is.

The PT was three consecutive cinematic turds.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that people imagine might have happened will always be better than the reality.

Kind of like how some people think Star Wars 1313 would have been absolutely awesome if LucasArts hadn't cancelled it. This is despite the fact that the development was a mess by all accounts and even the gameplay they did show was a pretty bog-standard cover shooter.

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
The sequel trilogy really felt like getting excited to see your favourite band coming back for one last tour only to find it's a tribute act doing everything you know but not as good.

I will be excluding it from our future SW Marathons. Now that the trilogy is concluded I can say I spent most of it waiting for it to become good and only TROS had much going for it.

George Lucas is an ideas man but shouldn't be allowed within 12 feet of a script. I believe much of the prequel trilogies flaws stem from this. Despite that, they had a completely fresh vision of the entire setting and the style and aesthetic were a big part of it. I don't know what he would have done with the sequels but I doubt we would have gotten stuff that was so derivative. As it is, I don't just dislike the sequels, I don't respect them either

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I am a fan of the prequels; they are, as they always have been, fantastic movies. I would rank the original trilogy higher, but they are great and I have always disagreed with most of the hate that trilogy gets. So, yes, if George Lucas had made the ST, I'm sure I'd like it a whole lot more than the mediocre mess Disney gave us! The ST started off badly with maybe the worst Star Wars movie ever, and didn't get much better as it went along, partially because of the obvious lack of planning, the mood whiplash between films (thanks to Rian having a totally different vision from JJ), the way that so much of what they are is a mediocre rehash of Lucas's far better original trilogy, and more.

(Rogue One is easily my favorite of Disney Star Wars movies. It's a solid old EU book-turned-film story and I enjoyed it. Solo was alright as well, I liked it well enough.)

However, that's just me, and had Lucas made more Star Wars movies, I'm sure I would have been in the minority again, and as with the prequels or the ST as it exists, people would have found many reasons to criticize the movies. The blowback against the PT was strong, after all. With George getting a bit older now, why deal with that again? Why not just take the billions of dollars and let Star Wars, and the fans' hatred for anything new in the franchise, be somebody elses' problem now? From that persective I can easily understand why he sold Star Wars. It's unfortunate, as Disney (with JJ and Rian's "help") has mostly ruined something that used to be one of my favorite media franchises -- I still have several boxes of old EU books in my basement and read almost all of them up to the end of the NJO, and a bit beyond -- but... seriously, would YOU want to deal with this fanbase again if you were George Lucas? Or would you rather just have $4 billion and let the fans hate someone else now?

As for what a Lucas trilogy would have looked like, from what we have seen some of the basic plot elements would have been the same -- a female lead, a male lead who was good but turns to the dark side, etc. Those elements could have been done well and I definitely like the idea of having a female lead in major Star Wars movies. The concept is clearly Lucas's, as you see previously in the later parts of the old EU; Rey and Ben/Kylo were clearly partially inspired by Jaina and Jacen. There are plenty more elemnts of the original Lucas concept that were used. What he never would have done, however, is put that core plot in a "remake of the original trilogy" framework because, for good or ill (depending on who you ask), he wanted to do new things and not just rehash old ones. The fans thought they wanted a rehash of the old stuff, but it's nice to see more people, by the end of this trilogy. realize that maybe it wasn't such a great idea. And giving Star Wars to JJ Abrams, the guy who ruined Star Trek, was an even worse idea... but anyway, I get why Lucas wouldn't want to deal with all of this anymore. Oh well.

(To give JJ a little credit I do think RoS is better than the other two ST films, but it still has plenty of problems so that is not high praise.)

Good post.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The prequels had plenty of new but they were hated for years for how bad they were, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Eh they were hated by the casuals way after the fact. They weren't hated at the time by casuals all scored at least A- cinema score. TRoS was actually hated more at the time scoring a B+.

Outside of hardcore's, this whole thing wasn't taken so seriously back then, they were just fun action movies that kids loved but obviously not regarded as great cinema.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Nah show some facts rather going based off of feelings, the only measured response we have from the time was Cinema score which definitely doesn't suggest that.
I understand if you're not comfortable saying your age but I'm wondering how old were you when the prequels released? Because it was pretty obvious at the time what public reception was and people took Star Wars just as seriously then as they do now. Opinions on the prequels have only become more positive since.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I understand if you're not comfortable saying your age but I'm wondering how old were you when the prequels released? Because it was pretty obvious at the time what public reception was and people took Star Wars just as seriously then as they do now.
This is what I mean by feelings, not using anything objective here. By this measure people hated Avatar, it had good legs good word of mouth and was scored well by audiences. Whatever response you see will never be the big picture which is why things are empirically measured.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the prequels had some good to great things as well. Costume design, sound design, music, a lot of the ship designs even some of the planets were very imaginative. But it just stumbles with nearly everything else. But things I do like is that the state of the galaxy is pretty clear at the start of Phantom and throughout the PT you never wonder how some of the bigger things came to be.

But, the ST are the better made films. Well TFA and TLJ at the very least. I think Rise falls in the same category as the PT.

Now as a trilogy, I have to say that the end of the PT felt more satisfying than the end of the ST. Revenge is obviously the best film in the PT so that helps, and Rise is obviously the worst film of the ST so that works against that. But it once again makes it clear how important it is to stick the landing.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It would have been new and coherent, but I don't know about better. The PT has two bad movies and then one average one, and the ST has one good movie and then two bad ones, so I'm not sold on Lucas doing better.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
He's lived with SW for decades, knows everything, so yeah he probably would've done a better job in terms of overall story and design. The sequels didn't have great designs imo and some of it felt like they were trying way too hard and failing.

I do like the newer films, but the more I think about it the more I wish they'd moved away from Skywalker saga and just gone for something new. Jedi finished it all off nicely. Going back to it all these years later was always going to be tricky at best.

Lucas designs and vision, with a decent script writer could have resulted in better films for sure, but I wouldn't say it would be gauranteed.

Roders

Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ireland
I don't see anything to suggest this would be true. The last time he made a trilogy he turned the franchise into a laughing stock and the butt of jokes for decades.
Even worse, he kept altering the original movies that were loved out of spite.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
It would have been more consistent and coherent but not necessarily better. Each of the three ST movies are better than the PT movies. But they just don't fit that well together.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
He couldn't have done worse than the fucking mess we got, and it sure as hell would have told a story with three coherent acts...

But meh I'm over it......and so I think was George when he sold it to Disney.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
20200127-214900.jpg

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He couldn't have done worse than the fucking mess we got, and it sure as hell would have told a story with three coherent acts...

But meh I'm over it......and so I think was George when he sold it to Disney.
George decided it was time to let go, but he sold the company to Disney for much less than it was worth because he felt it was going to a good home, and he gave Disney a three-movie outline which they could use for the Sequel Trilogy, and Disney told George that they were going to respect him and consult with him for his vision...

... and then during his first meeting he saw that they had thrown away his outline and were making The Force Awakens. George felt betrayed (according to Disney's CEO, no less) and George told an interviewer that it felt like he had sold his children to White Slavers.

So he's kinda over it, but kinda not really.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
George decided it was time to let go, but he sold the company to Disney for much less than it was worth because he felt it was going to a good home, and he gave Disney a three-movie outline which they could use for the Sequel Trilogy, and Disney told George that they were going to respect him and consult with him for his vision...

... and then during his first meeting he saw that they had thrown away his outline and were making The Force Awakens. George felt betrayed (according to Disney's CEO, no less) and George told an interviewer that it felt like he had sold his children to White Slavers.

So he's kinda over it, but kinda not really.

Any regret he might have is washed away by the salty tears of fans like me 😞

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
As much as people hate midiclorians, I would have loved to have seen more depth to the Wills like he intended... at least, more than a retread of themes (like we got).

And out of the 9 movies, PT/OT had the more memorable and iconic scenes, with (ironically) Ryan Johnson's TLJ being the exception for the ST with its wild Throne Room fight, silent Holdo maneuver, and great Yoda cameo.

I would't mind Lucas involvement, but meh... that ship has sailed. Disney likes money, the Skywalkers will return someday, but George isn't touching the franchise again other than visits to Mando's set during filming.