• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Seems quite complex actually, maybe actually closer to a real Pokémon game than to Pokémon Go... Which is kind of surprising to me, why they chose to go this route. I suppose the mainline game would have not been finished in time and this is of course a smart move to bank in on the success of Pokémon Go.

But it seems that besides gaining experience through battles most of the core mechanics are here...? And that's indeed where I get put off a bit because the whole gaining experience through catching Pokémon is not my thing at all.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Catching Pokemon from the Go Park adds them to your regular Pokemon in Lets Go? I have an Eevee from Go ready to get transfered to Lets Go so I can have both "starters" immediately.

TheRedLag00n

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds good to me. Last Pokemon game I played was X/Y and I enjoyed how beginner friendly it was. Might even get it with the Pokeball accessory, I'm really digging what the game seems to aim for.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
So there's nothing to make up for the lack of wild battles? No repeatable trainers?

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Though we don't know for sure that there are no repeatable trainers, the intent is probably that extra exp. comes from captures.
That seems like would grow old very quickly and it's not a real substitute for pokemon battles. Initially I thought I could enjoy this game but there's too much stuff against it so I'm gonna pass. Not that it matters, it's going to sell like crazy; I just hope this stuff doesn't reach into the "real games" next year.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about as expected. My worries is that R/B/Y was kinda short and the lack of battles will make it even shorter.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems quite complex actually, maybe actually closer to a real Pokémon game than to Pokémon Go... Which is kind of surprising to me, why they chose to go this route. I suppose the mainline game would have not been finished in time and this is of course a smart move to bank in on the success of Pokémon Go.

But it seems that besides gaining experience through battles most of the core mechanics are here...? And that's indeed where I get put off a bit because the whole gaining experience through catching Pokémon is not my thing at all.
You still gain experience from battling trainers/gym leaders.

Last edited:

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
That seems like would grow old very quickly and it's not a real substitute for pokemon battles. Initially I thought I could enjoy this game but there's too much stuff against it so I'm gonna pass. Not that it matters, it's going to sell like crazy; I just hope this stuff doesn't reach into the "real games" next year.
To me, capturing pokemon doesn't seem any more tedious or repetitive than grinding against wild Pokemon. You just spam the same attack and heal once in a while.

To be honest I'll be happy if the 2019 games allow me to choose to do this and not battle the wild pokemon

Telpis

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Catching Pokémon like in go seriously sucks and it's not fun

When I want to catch a Pokémon for my team the thrill of the wild battle with my own Pokémon and fighting it out to lower it health to catch it

This just blows

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
To me, capturing pokemon doesn't seem any more tedious or repetitive than grinding against wild Pokemon. You just spam the same attack and heal once in a while.

To be honest I'll be happy if the 2019 games allow me to choose to do this and not battle the wild pokemon

Kinda with you on this. Playing through Yellow now, I'm imagining it without wild battles and I think it's something to easily oppose in concept but won't actually be that bad in practice. I'm looking forward to it

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Curious, has this been shown anywhere? Just note if its from that Pilachu level up screen, Im not sure I'd put too mich stock in it since natures are hidden in that screen.
Plus on the Pokémon selection screens in SMUSUM, if you have no hold item, the hold item info bar just doesn't appear.

People are jumping to conclusions.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah is this game actually on the show floor, or was it only coming for treehouse? If the former, maybe we can somehow ask someone at E3 to check the Pokemon stats screen, which is something I don't think we've seen yet.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Oh yeah is this game actually on the show floor, or was it only coming for treehouse? If the former, maybe we can somehow ask someone at E3 to check the Pokemon stats screen, which is something I don't think we've seen yet.
It's on the show floor but they force use of PokéBall Plus to stop people going through menus and the ilk

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did they make clear if one can coop using his own console, character and pokemon with another player? Or is just a drop-in random character created for th emoment?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I really, really like the way this game looks, but it's sadly a pass for me. I just don't see myself enjoying this.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Did they make clear if one can coop using his own console, character and pokemon with another player? Or is just a drop-in random character created for th emoment?

They never said that, but they have been saying that co-op can be done with the second joy-con and they seem to be aimed at parents/kids playing together rather than a completely different player.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I've never played a Pokemon game before; why do they all have 2 versions? Like, what separates them? I swear I heard someone say they're effectively the same game.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Curious, has this been shown anywhere? Just note if its from that Pilachu level up screen, Im not sure I'd put too mich stock in it since natures are hidden in that screen.
Well, the lvl up screen and se havent seen static kick off in gameplay.

Also, Berrones being used to capture looks bad for held items (I think those were cut yo avoid evolutions of certain Pokémon).

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played a Pokemon game before; why do they all have 2 versions? Like, what separates them? I swear I heard someone say they're effectively the same game.
In the first game, exclusive Pokémon, so you need to trade with other people to get all the Pokémon (also some Pokémon evolve when trading).

The problem is that now the exclusives are Legendary Pokémon (Unique), so it's harder to get the exclusives from the other versión unless you give up yours.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a remake of yellow it's like a "reimagining" I guess you could say. The leaks said Red and Blue are in the game in some way. Maybe secret bosses like they are in sun and moon.
This is so weird though. Unless it's also some kind of sequel I don't get how there can be new protagonists while keeping Red and Blue still. Since you start in Pallet Town and there are still only 2 houses... and the rest of the region is pretty much unchanged and doesn't look like it has the gen 2 stuff?

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
This is so weird though. Unless it's also some kind of sequel I don't get how there can be new protagonists while keeping Red and Blue still. Since you start in Pallet Town and there are still only 2 houses... and the rest of the region is pretty much unchanged and doesn't look like it has the gen 2 stuff?

I think you're looking a little too deeply into the lore of a children's game full of cute creatures.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.

Bro I know I say we are just gonna have to wait and see on what Red and Blue are like in this game.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the lvl up screen and se havent seen static kick off in gameplay.

Also, Berrones being used to capture looks bad for held items (I think those were cut yo avoid evolutions of certain Pokémon).

Are there gameplay videos out there besides the treehouse showcase? If its just that, Static has a 30% chance of activating and it only activates on contact moves, so it can be rather fickle (I know this the hard way with the amount of times bulky Volcarona has not wanted to burn Mega Kangaskhan with Flame Body lol).

As for the berries, they use the Pokemon Go berries (Razz Berry, Pinap Berry, and I'm guessing Nabnab berry), which are actually currently, totally useless in the current Pokemon games! Seriously they don't do anything, and aren't even currently obtainable in the gen 7 games. In the past they were used to make stuff for contests, so they've just been hanging around being useless now. I don't think repurposing useless berries means items are out. Plus, its not unheard of to make Pokemon hold useless items like Pokeballs in the main games either.

Now, not saying that they DIDN'T remove abilities and held items, but I just don't see any compelling evidence for their removal yet, especially when some of the more complicated things like natures and IVs (which sucks) seem to be back as well. I do want this question answered soon though, I want to be a nerd and practice with this on Pokemon sims before the game comes out and analyze the metagame around them lol

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
It's like a remake of the first game, mixed with mechanics from Go (which I've never played and know nothing about).

Overall this sounds decent, except the idea of having to catch disposable pokemon as the only way to gain exp...

I like that you can have any pokemon follow you around. Does this mean we will be able to ride big flying ones as a means of traversal ?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do we have Info on what Brocks team is yet? I would not be surprised if it was just a level 7 or 8 Onix now.

(I know, demo is demo, could be made easier, but the Sun e3 demo was the same as it was in the main game).

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The face of a man who's caught them all.

DfgOvHJU8AEIT9f.jpg

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to Pokemon Go!
Please enjoy catching thousands of ratattas.
Yeah no kidding, I only played Go for a few days and I was already sick of that.

But it's not only the levelling, it's going through some area and defending yourself, you know, the whole reason starters exist. Why even bother now, just grab a bag of pokeballs and catch whatever you see first.

Also, it looks bad/stupid for wild pokemons to just stand there waiting for you to capture them.

This game feels like it could be great for everybody with a few options added, it's maddening really.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The lore of Pokémon is deep though and they always explain everything in more or less coherent ways, even with parallel universes thrown in

Pokedex is like the antithesis of coherent. Its a game where hundreds of vastly different creatures are making eggs together and Pokemon scientists don't know how.