• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once a notable developer and publisher of computer games, Datasoft has joined other pioneering companies like Epyx and Synapse Software in being mostly forgotten today as it didn't live on to continued success and name recognition like Electronic Arts and Activision.

1024px-Datasoft-Logo-svg.png

The company was founded in California in June 1980 by Pat Ketchum and had several in-house game designers and programmers. It created games for several 8-bit and 16-bit formats throughout the '80s, initially on TRS-80 and Atari 800 before expanding to Apple and Commodore machines. Its debut game was Popcorn! in 1981 and was published by Tandy/Radio Shack as a first-party game for its TRS-80 computer.

Early Datasoft action games were often well made but derivative. Popcorn! was a rip-off of Atari's arcade game Avalanche where you moved side to side catching objects before they hit the ground. Shooting Arcade resembled Sega's target blasting game Carnival. Pacific Coast Highway was basically Konami's dodging sim Frogger except with other animals. Clowns and Balloons was a clone of Bally Midway's Clowns. And Genesis was certainly inspired by Atari's shooter Tempest (not a bad thing considering there wasn't an official home Tempest when it came out).

Their adventure games in 1982-1983 had more originality. As many families were buying their first personal computers, The Sands of Egypt was an ideal title to introduce all ages to interactive fiction as it wasn't as complex as Infocom text adventures and had some animated background graphics. Its text input was pretty intuitive and there was a built-in help function.

Datasoft's games were licensed to other companies such as U.S. Gold, Ocean Software, and Mastertronic for release in PAL TV territories, and ports were made for formats like the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC. Comptiq converted some Datasoft games to Japanese computers like the NEC PC-88 and Sharp X1 giving them exposure in Asia. And Datasoft brought over European games to North America from companies like Personal Software Services and Ocean.

Smart licensing became a major part of Datasoft's business. It had official arcade ports of Namco's Pac-Man, Pole Position, and Dig Dug, Konami's Juno First and Pooyan, Sega's Zaxxon, Universal's Mr. Do!, and Stern's Lost Tomb.

Their renditions of movie and TV properties weren't just cash-ins. They were often innovative takes on existing genres. As far as I know, no one had made an official game based on a soap opera before Dallas Quest!

Conan: Hall of Volta (probably best known by the original Apple II version) was a great little flip-screen platformer. You could throw swords at enemies and they would boomerang back. Collecting keys would unlock doors so you could advance. It may sound simplistic now but the variety of levels and obstacles was quite large in 1984.

Bruce Lee might the most iconic and well liked of Datasoft's games. "Programmed by Ron J. Fortier, Graphic Art by Kelly Day" from the loading screen is burned into my brain forever due to how much I played the game growing up.

Like Conan, it expanded platform games beyond just a few repeating screens and felt more like a continous world. In this game, you're chased by a ninja and green sumo wrestler throughout the levels, while dodging various traps and finding switches to open new paths. A second player can also play as the sumo dude. Games like this are an impressive but sometimes ignored step in the evolution of home games in the genre in between stuff like Donkey Kong and Super Mario Bros. The last boss of Bruce Lee was set up very similarly to SMB in that you would try to run past to hit a switch to take him down.

On a surface level, Zorro bore resemblance to Bruce Lee since they shared the same artist but this game was more slow paced, required more exact jumping, and was more puzzle oriented with the ability to carry objects to other locations and activate mechanisms. It was frustrating at times but was critically well received.

The Goonies was also a 1985 puzzle platform adventure. Co-op strategizing to beat levels was novel at the time (or you could play solo with character switching). I enjoyed playing it with my cousin back in the day.

Being a huge fan of the movie, I really wanted to get into The Neverending Story (developed by Ocean) when I had it on C64 but it never gripped me the same way. It seems to have its fans, though.

Alternative Reality: The City (1985) and its sequel Alternate Reality: The Dungeon (1987) were first-person RPGs known for their depth and detail at the time such as weather affecting both visuals and gameplay, multiple solutions to problems, and other elements that are taken for granted in the genre today.

The 1985 classic Mercenary by UK developer Novagen was published in NA by Datasoft. It was incredibly groundbreaking with its wireframe 3d open-world, vehicles you could get in and out of, and non-linear design. I didn't play through it until like 2011 and was quite impressed. There's a freeware PC remake worth checking out that runs smoother than the Atari 8-bit original.

Datasoft never did seem to maintain its sales momentum past the mid 80s and ended up filing for bankruptcy in 1987. Apparently Gilette (yeah, the razor makers) pulled out of investing in Datasoft. Two of Datasoft's execs, Samuel Poole and Ted Hoffman bought the name and assets, rebirthing the company as Intellicreations. It lived on for a few more years.

Aside from analyzing the games themselves, there isn't a lot of insider information on Datasoft's history compared to most game Western companies of that era.

BastichB 64K has an impressive video on Datasoft that covers much more than I did:
www.youtube.com

Datasoft (1980-1989) Documentary

Here's my Documentary for Datasoft. The software company who put out many classic games such as Bruce Lee , The Dallas Quest , The Goonies and Alternate Real...

And mobygames (where many of the screens in this thread are from) has a large list.
www.mobygames.com

Datasoft, Inc. - MobyGames

Datasoft was founded by Pat Ketchum in 1980. This company was based out of Chatsworth, California. When the company first started, there were about 15 in-house programmers. Ketchum was in his late 20's at the time. Ketchum acquired as many trademark...

Some screens of games published and/or developed by Datasoft (most are multi-format):

Popcorn! (TRS-80)
212581-popcorn-trs-80-coco-screenshot-popcorn-game-screen-game-just.gif

Shooting Arcade (TRS-80)
959156-shooting-arcade-trs-80-coco-screenshot-press-button-to-begin.png

Genesis (Apple II)
668515-genesis-apple-ii-screenshot-ran-into-the-killer-brick.png

The Magic Carpet (TRS-80)
New-Bitmap-Image.png

The Sands of Egypt (TRS-80)
418626-the-sands-of-egypt-trs-80-coco-screenshot-trees-in-the-desert.png

O'Riley's Mine (Apple II)
679762-o-riley-s-mine-apple-ii-screenshot-level-2-the-water-has-already.png

Pac-Man (Apple II)
245503-pac-man-apple-ii-screenshot-munching-on-some-dots.png

Zaxxon (Atari 8-bit)
149615-zaxxon-atari-8-bit-screenshot-lower-down-with-something-in.png

Juno First (IBM PC)
1043564-juno-first-pc-booter-screenshot-gameplay-3.png

The Dallas Quest (Apple II)
306503-the-dallas-quest-apple-ii-screenshot-starting-location.png

Conan: Hall of Volta (Apple II)
42902-conan-apple-ii-screenshot-level-4.gif

Bruce Lee (Atari 8-bit)
639468-bruce-lee-atari-8-bit-screenshot-timing-trial.png

Mancopter (Commodore 64)
891192-mancopter-commodore-64-screenshot-if-you-pass-a-buoy-it-will.png

The Goonies (Atari 8-bit)
181695-the-goonies-atari-8-bit-screenshot-the-skull-chamber-what.png

Zorro (Atari 8-bit)
260919-zorro-atari-8-bit-screenshot-somehow-i-must-get-up-to-the.png

The Neverending Story (Commodore 64)
131215-the-neverending-story-commodore-64-screenshot-starting-location.png

Mercenary (Atari 8-bit)
370378-mercenary-atari-8-bit-screenshot-i-bought-this-ship-so-i-ll.png

Alternate Reality: The City (Atari 8-bit)
150225-alternate-reality-the-city-atari-8-bit-screenshot-determining.png

Force 7 (Commodore 64)
300241-force-7-commodore-64-screenshot-time-to-bring-reese-in.png

Napoleon in Russia: Borodino 1812 (IBM PC)
180525-napoleon-in-russia-borodino-1812-dos-screenshot-the-troops.png

Dark Lord (Commodore 64)
dl05.png

What do you think about Datasoft?

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Bruce Lee and Zorro were brilliant for its time, still enjoyable today.

O'Riley's Mine was one of my favorite games back in the day.

Too bad they could never make the jump to 16 bit hardware.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Bruce Lee is one of my favourite (and most played) Commodore 64 games. I used to play through it regularly with a friend of mine. Good times.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
I like the C64 games and Bruce Lee specifically is great, but then everyone knows that. I should look their other system output.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The only game that seems familiar to me is Bruce Lee, which I think I played on C64.

I see they did a port of the classic arcade game Mr. Do!, which is one of my all-time favorite arcade games.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I played Bruce Lee back in the day, but it was a pirated copy and I may have been too young to figure out how to finish it. Was pretty fun though!

Years later, I just assumed it was a bootleg game. The idea of a company licensing Bruce Lee's likeness in such a bizarre setting just seemed too weird to be legit.

edit: Oh wait, I played Mancopter too! It's kinda like Balloon Fight, right? A long journey where you mash the fire button to stay aloft. Good game!

God, I haven't thought of that game in decades.

Last edited:

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I need to know more about that game "THE DALLAS QUEST"
Pro tip: get the bugle early and play it for the cattle later or they will trample the fuck out of you.

One of my earliest gaming memories, on my dad's Atari 800XL floppy disc drive, was typing random shit into the text adventure interface like "SHOOT SUE ELLEN". We also had Bruce Lee in cartridge form.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Forgot to mention I also played Zorro for a bit, but that was years after release. I bet I would've played that one quite a bit if I hadn't already moved onto more powerful hardware at the time.

Also, I had the non-Datasoft European version of Mercenary for the C64. Very impressive game for the time!

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I played Bruce Lee back in the day, but it was a pirated copy and I may have been too young to figure out how to finish it. Was pretty fun though!

Years later, I just assumed it was a bootleg game. The idea of a company licensing Bruce Lee's likeness in such a bizarre setting just seemed too weird to be legit.

edit: Oh wait, I played Mancopter too! It's kinda like Balloon Fight, right? A long journey where you mash the fire button to stay aloft. Good game!

God, I haven't thought of that game in decades.
Mancopter and Balloon Fight do have some similarities. They both came out the same year and I'm guessing Joust was an influence on both.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Balloon Fight has that left-scrolling journey mode, that's why I mentioned it.

In other news, I remember a cool Joust clone on C64 called Pegasus.
What confuses me about Mancopter is that it also credits Nichibutsu USA on the back of the box. I have looked through lists of Nichibutsu arcade games and I can't find anything resembling it. And the game's credits of Scott Spanburg and Kelly Day, those are people that worked on other Datasoft games.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Is the Goonies game a conversion of the MSX/Famicom Konami game?
No it's two player game (you can play with one player and switch characters at any time) puzzle game. For example in first stage you use printing press to lure Fratellis out so other character can get into basement, break water bottle and go futher. It's also has octopus scene.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On a Datasoft-related note, the homebrew sequel to Bruce Lee is worth checking out. I bought a cartridge version years ago but an emulatable download is freeware.
csdb.dk

Bruce Lee II V1.9

Commodore 64 Game: Bruce Lee II V1.9 by Jonas Hultén. Released on 7 April 2015

The homebrew SMS remake of Bruce Lee is neat, too, but unfortunately it's not a complete game.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
My aunt had that Pac-Man release on Apple II and I remember playing the living shit out of it as a kid.

Didn't know about that Goonies game, though!

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
We played the SHIT out of Conan on our science teacher's Apple /// (running in Apple II emulation mode) during homeroom class. Fuck yeah