• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
(Before anything else, please keep this a no spoiler thread! We'll be going through the entire game, so we'll cover any moment that you want to bring up.)

Hi all, my name is エル=サッミー, and I'd like to welcome you to this thread.

In case you aren't familiar, Illusion of Gaia / Gaia Gensouki is an action-adventure game in the vein of 2D Zelda. It was the sequel to a game called Soul Blazer, which itself was something of a spiritual successor to ActRaiser, with all the games sharing a number of motifs and themes. Illusion of Gaia was developed by Quintet, published by Enix in Japan, and published by Nintendo elsewhere.

This particular game is special to me because it was the first one that I ever cared about on the basis of its story; it was the first time that I walked away from a game and felt that a message had been communicated to me. The game was originally written by a sci-fi novelist named Ouhara Mariko (personal name second), who touches on a number of heavy themes. Perhaps as a result of the involvement of someone who writes for a different medium, it's rather storyboarded and has a lot of quiet cutscenes for an adventure game.

I had occasionally heard that the game's translation was bad, so one of the things I wanted to experience when I decided to learn Japanese was to try to see the game's original text for myself. But I'd also like to share that experience. Overall, I don't think the localization was inept at all. It made a variety of small changes which are probably just a matter of taste, and there was a lot of mincing words to get around Nintendo's strict content regulation at the time, but I can't promise that this will be dramatically different from the original game. Putting aside my emotional connection with the material, in terms of getting a resultant product that you can't get elsewhere, I've considered that it might have been better for me to have retranslated the game's sequel - that one eventually got into strange territory that I can imagine might have difficult to understand even in its native language, so I figure a strong translation is particularly important there.

The biggest benefit I personally got from doing this project may simply be that I was engaging with this game in a totally different way than one normally engages with games. In order to translate a game, you have to experience it in a very granular way. It's as if I'm trying to peer into Ouhara Mariko's thoughts as she was writing this script. I have to think about how every line contributes to the themes of the story, I have to think about how she wanted me to feel about the characters; these are the things that I'm tasking myself to communicate when I'm trying to translate each of these lines.

Just as I've gotten to enjoy a deep dive into this game, I think you might enjoy trying to engage in it the same way. So I'm hoping that with this preface, I can help guide the discussion in this thread in that direction. I want the thread to feel like a book club. As you read the story, overthink it. Be analytical. Be cerebral. Don't worry about coming off as pretentious or saying something stupid. If this game is fueling the thoughts in your head and you're committing them to your posts, then I can feel like this thread is a success.

You might be wondering why I didn't release this as a ROM hack. I actually think this might be a relatively easy one to do since you might be able to just crack open one of the English versions in a hex editor and pop much of the script in. Aside from just being too lazy to do that, there are a few reasons I think this is better. The biggest one is that I am absolutely not an expert. I'm probably going to get some things wrong, and I'm definitely going to run into things that I don't understand or aren't totally confident about. Rather than giving you a bad translation and pretending I know more than I do, other members can ask questions or post corrections here so that readers can see those too. I'm also not going to stress too much about being understood because, again, you can as for clarifications.

I'm also hoping that this will be a good way to experience the game for those who haven't played it before.

I should thank the people who helped me with this, whether it was sharing their input or just letting me taking a dump in their inbox. And I would also be remiss not to include a shoutout to our very own Learning Japanese community. If you ever want to find a couple of Francophones who know all this language stuff far better than I do, that's where to go.

One last thing before we start. Every update in this thread will come in a set of two posts. I'll try to threadmark everything to make it easier to navigate.

The first post in the update will be intended for those of you who haven't played the game before. I've edited the text a little to be more readable and to get the feel a little more in some places. I've also tried to use more guesswork to cover the areas where I'm not very confident about what I'm reading. This should hopefully feel like you're experiencing a new localization.

The second post will have a video to accompany the screenshot playthrough, but it will also have a rawer annotated version of the update. This is the version before I edited it for English readers, so it better reflects how I, as a native English speaker, am trying to make sense of I'm seeing. It's also going to be where you're going to see the additional notes that I'm jotting down about the text, although a large amount of those notes will be "I'm not sure what this is".

Anyway, I've said a lot, and we have a long way to go. Without further, let's begin Gaia Gensouki!

UPDATE: I've updated the large videos to include subtitles. You can view them on the following playlist; just turn on closed captions.

www.youtube.com

Gaia Gensouki / Illusion of Gaia re-translation

(Update: you can turn in closed captions to view translated subtitles.) Accompaniment for Gaia Gensouki re-translation project, posted at ResetEra. Try using...

Last edited:
Chapter 1
OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
0-iagensoukijapan001o8j5c.png

The world was in the Age of Discovery. People set foot in the New World and the legacies of ancient civilizations were being discovered.

0-iagensoukijapan004qdk0u.png

Many legends were discovered of times that were long past.

0-iagensoukijapan005pmjaf.png

There were as many historical ruins as there were legends, and as many legends as there were ancient civilizations...

0-iagensoukijapan006tgjj8.png

Many artifacts were produced from the ruins.

0-iagensoukijapan007e6jej.png

Therein, invariably, there were strange statues that were often said to be modeled after gods.

0-iagensoukijapan009d8jcu.png

What could the gods of the ancient people possibly be... The ruins' lips were sealed.

0-iagensoukijapan01001k6w.png

People that were possessed by the charms of a lost era went in, becoming only the writings left by the dead.

0-iagensoukijapan011exjoo.png

People spoke of traps that protected treasure, and others spoke of curses from the ancient people.

0-iagensoukijapan012tsjvo.png

However, among those, not one had noticed the tremendous disaster that was coming...

1-iagensoukijapan000hfjg0.png

The Era of the Gaia Fantasy

1-iagensoukijapan0011ikcd.png

Begin journey, Erase record of travel diary, Copy travel diary, Sound / Button change

1-iagensoukijapan002rcjxn.png

Which travel diary will you use? / Travel diary 1 / Start from the beginning

1-iagensoukijapan0037njag.png

Are these settings okay?

1-iagensoukijapan004wajix.png

Church

1-iagensoukijapan005z8knn.png

My name is Tim.

1-iagensoukijapan00644k0b.png

Exactly one year has passed since I went on an expedition to the Tower of Babel with my dad.

1-iagensoukijapan00831kc4.png

Of the members of my dad's team, only I was able to survive and return to this town in safety...

1-iagensoukijapan00974jer.png

Even now, I can't believe that dad died or anything like that. No, I don't even intend to believe it...

1-iagensoukijapan0114lj9m.png

When I grow up or so, I intend to become an explorer and charge around the world.

1-iagensoukijapan013v6kne.png

Because if that happens, I believe that I'll be able to meet my dad somewhere...

1-iagensoukijapan014unjh0.png

Priest: Today's lesson ends here.

1-iagensoukijapan015blkub.png

The four of you do your best so not to stay behind next time.

1-iagensoukijapan016gxjq0.png

Aside from that, things that look like monsters have recently been being seen outside of town. When you leave, please go with a parent.

1-iagensoukijapan017hxke2.png

Morris: Alright, today too, same place as always...!

1-iagensoukijapan018wijsi.png

Eric: I'm stop off at home, then I'll go.

1-iagensoukijapan019aojn1.png

If I don't go home quickly, the fact that I had to stay behind for make-up lessons is going to leak to mommy... Heheh…

1-iagensoukijapan0203hj6o.png

Rob: Alright, to tha coastal cave today again, huh...?

1-iagensoukijapan021phjb2.png

Ah, Tim. Please pray with me.

1-iagensoukijapan022p8kpx.png

O God. May the world continue to shine to eternity...

1-iagensoukijapan023jlkuf.png

South Cape

1-iagensoukijapan024iljbi.png

Area of Darkness

1-iagensoukijapan0252ej9l.png

I am the fountainhead of life, Gaia. Henceforth, I shall assist thy journey.

1-iagensoukijapan0261mkpn.png

This area is only visible for those in whom the Power of Darkness dwells. Thou art a chosen human.

1-iagensoukijapan027xvkv2.png

In the Area of Darkness, I can record thy travel diary. Thou shouldst drop by during thy journey.

1-iagensoukijapan028blk9q.png

So, shalt thou record thy adventure until this point? / Record / Don't record

1-iagensoukijapan029utjfd.png

Recording completed...

1-iagensoukijapan030rxkpz.png

Shalt thou still continue with thy journey? / Yes / No

1-iagensoukijapan031irjfr.png

Then thou shouldst go.

1-iagensoukijapan032zgjmv.png

Hey, Tim... You shouldn't be coming up here...

1-iagensoukijapan0330jj85.png

I think you have a habit of jumping down from various places, though. I can't help but worry. Aww.

1-iagensoukijapan036tkj8k.png

Found a Red Jewel!

1-iagensoukijapan037g3j89.png

You seem like you've got pretty fast feet, huh. You run when you mash the direction button twice.

1-iagensoukijapan038r0k6f.png

I am Gem, a jewel merchant that travels about the seven seas.

1-iagensoukijapan0396okzt.png

What business do we have today? / I didn't mean to see into you / I want to deposit Red Jewels / I want to see your list of goods

1-iagensoukijapan040yzjsb.png

Is that so. Anyway, nice to meet you.

1-iagensoukijapan0415tkcs.png

By the way, if you lift up a jewel, it will fly to my location, you know.

1-iagensoukijapan04206j65.png

So something seems to be hidden. I am a master of disguise, after all. But in other towns, maybe you won't recognize me.

1-iagensoukijapan044wnkqm.png

Hmm... These are truly good jewels, aren't they? Please, it is important to take care of them.

1-iagensoukijapan045qwjev.png

With this, I think the number of jewels should have become 1 altogether.

1-iagensoukijapan047w6khf.png

I will give you the commodity only when the collected jewels reach the number on the list.

1-iagensoukijapan048lpj33.png

Medicinal Herb / Defense Force / Life Force / Strength Force / Psycho Power / Dark Power / My Secret

1-iagensoukijapan052klkfv.png

Hey, hey. Monsters have been seen outside of town recently.

1-iagensoukijapan053hyjoe.png

Did the priest in the church not warn you? You shouldn't thoughtlessly go outside the town.

1-iagensoukijapan056zkkfg.png

You know, an astronomer who is an acquaintance of mine said something strange. Something like, "a star is approaching our Earth".

1-iagensoukijapan0585dkrd.png

There have been a lot of strange merchants around recently so I'm worried.

1-iagensoukijapan0590njkv.png

I guess they're in that business because of everyone saying they're worried about the appearance of monsters…

1-iagensoukijapan062z6j1z.png

This is my house. Perhaps Grandmother Laura is baking a pie; a nice smell is in the air.

1-iagensoukijapan063nmj9r.png

Tim's house

1-iagensoukijapan064gqjf5.png

Laura: Oh, Tim. Welcome home. There's time until dinner, so go play outside.

1-iagensoukijapan0664ejpj.png

Bill: Ah, welcome home. You can try to return home now, but there's still time.

1-iagensoukijapan0676uknb.png

Wahaha. Splendid. Splendid. You're a boy who can't study but I hope for you to bloom vigorously.

1-iagensoukijapan074ankax.png

Salesman: This old man you're speaking to goes around to everyone's houses to sell weapons for fighting with demons.

1-iagensoukijapan075uaku1.png

It's because the world's become dangerous recently. But I won't go selling weapons to a child like you.

1-iagensoukijapan0783ij4h.png

Well, that's a good smell. There's no stove in my home, so I cook in this pot.

1-iagensoukijapan080fkklq.png

How long have we been playing this game..?

1-iagensoukijapan082eqkk5.png

But it's mysterious, huh. I wonder if this is the game called "the Dharma doll fell down"...

1-iagensoukijapan084prk25.png

The Dharma doll...

1-iagensoukijapan088bdkqd.png

...fell down!

1-iagensoukijapan089ykk9z.png

Tsk, it's always me...

1-iagensoukijapan092tok41.png

Eeek...!

1-iagensoukijapan093ilj8f.png

What are you doing...!? This kid...! Good grief...

1-iagensoukijapan095txkj6.png

I can't help but pity Morris.

1-iagensoukijapan096pzkte.png

I can't stand that even a child has to see that kind of marital quarrel every day, you know?

1-iagensoukijapan0974ykbe.png

Even if I change places a bit, it ain't easy to fish out...

1-iagensoukijapan1003gkh7.png

Just as I opened the door to Morris' house, a pot came flying out...!

1-iagensoukijapan101ibk15.png

Morris' house

1-iagensoukijapan102wkj3i.png

Morris's father: Hmph. What's wrong with drinking alcohol with the money I earned!?

1-iagensoukijapan1067xjh6.png

Morris's mother: It's not a joke...! That man...!

1-iagensoukijapan107m7kuq.png

Because of my son, Morris, I'm tolerating it. But if not for that, I'd have divorced him long ago...!

1-iagensoukijapan110jzjy1.png

Here is my close friend Rob's house. He lives here with his frail mother.

1-iagensoukijapan11142jea.png

Rob's mother: It's already been one year since my husband went missing with your father at the Tower of Babel, hasn't it?

1-iagensoukijapan112pwj0o.png

Somehow it still feels like yesterday...

1-iagensoukijapan117rxkyr.png

My friend Eric lives here.

1-iagensoukijapan119r6jnd.png

This house is the biggest in South Cape. I feel jealous of people born to families with money...

1-iagensoukijapan120uajgv.png

When I see your hair fluttering in the sea breeze, I get jealous. Mine is under this scarf...

1-iagensoukijapan122b0kho.png

You know, a little thing about this this world is that even if you have money, you could fall into poverty. Ah, I think somehow I ended up not saying a pleasant story...

1-iagensoukijapan124vmjuq.png

Eric's father: Everyone seems to be jealous of our big house...

1-iagensoukijapan1251jj2a.png

But it's not a big deal. It's just that our family moved to this town a bit before everyone.

1-iagensoukijapan1285ek0o.png

Eric's mother: Don't worry, my back isn't on fire, haha. This what you call "moxibustion".

1-iagensoukijapan129awj2p.png

With a big house, even when you're just cleaning, you can't help hurting your shoulder...

1-iagensoukijapan132t1j9q.png

Kuh... It isn't easy to fish out, even a little...

1-iagensoukijapan134c1j8t.png

I ended up fishing out this weird pot.

Chapter 1 - Annotated version
OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

0-iagensoukijapan001o8j5c.png

世界は大航海時代の真っ直中だった。人々は新大陸へと足をのばし古代文明の遺産をはっくつしていった。

Sekai wa daikoukai jidai no mattadanaka datta. Hitobito wa shintairiku e to ashi o nobashi kodaibunmei no isan o hakkutsushite itta.

The world was in the middle of the Age of Discovery. People's boots landed at the New World and the legacies of ancient civilizations were being discovered.

[The word "feet" is in here and I'm not sure what it's doing; I took it as a figurative statement.]

0-iagensoukijapan004qdk0u.png

はるかなる時の流れは数々の伝説を生み出した。

Haruka naru toki no nagare wa kazukazu no densetsu o umi dasu.

Many legends came forth regarding times that had become distant.

[I think this is either saying legends are formed with the passage of time or that they're formed about distant times, but I'm not totally sure on either.]

0-iagensoukijapan005pmjaf.png

遺跡の数だけ伝説があり伝説の数だけ古代文明が存在したのだ…

Iseki no suu dake densetsu ga ari densetsu no suu dake kodai bunmei ga sonzai shita noda...

The number of historical ruins was only as many as the number of legends, the number of legends was only as many as the number of ancient civilizations that existed...

0-iagensoukijapan006tgjj8.png

遺跡から発見されるさまざまな出土品たち。

Iseki kara hakken sareru samazama na shutsudohin tachi.

From historical ruins, many artifacts were produced.

0-iagensoukijapan007e6jej.png

その中には必ずと言っていいほど神をかたどったきみょうな石像があった。

Sono naka ni wa nakarazu to itte ii hodo kami o katadotta kimyou na sekizou ga atta.

Therein, invariably, there were strange statues often said to be modeled after gods.

[What throws me here is "ii hodo", which is "good degree". I took it as part of an expression along the lines of "many say that".]

0-iagensoukijapan009d8jcu.png

古代人にとっての神とはいったい何なのか…遺跡は口を閉ざしたまま静かにたたずんでいる。

Kodaijin ni totte no kami to wa ittai nano ka... Iseki wa kuchi o tozashita mama shizuka ni tatazu nde iru.

What could the gods held by the people of ancient times possibly be... The ruins' mouths were calmly stopped shut.

[Could the "to wa", with the "to" sometimes being used to be "with", mean it's something held with the gods rather than the gods itself?]

0-iagensoukijapan01001k6w.png

失われた時のみりょくにとりつかれた人々は遺跡へと足をふみ入れ帰らぬ人になってゆく。

Ushinawareta toki no miryoku ni tori tsukareta iseki e to ashi o fumi ire kaeranu hito ni natte yuku.

People obsessed with the appeal of a lost time went and became writings of the ruins from the dead.

[It's a little hard for me to piece together how these words are connected.]

0-iagensoukijapan011exjoo.png

ある者は財宝を守るためのワナだと言いまたある者は古代人ののろいだ語った。

Aru mono wa zaihou o mamoru tame no wana dato ii mata aru mono wa kodaijin no noroi da katatta.

There existed people who spoke of traps protecting treasure, and also those who spoke of ancient people's curses.

0-iagensoukijapan012tsjvo.png

だがそれらがこれから起ころうとするとてつもない災いに結びつこうとはだれ一人として気づかなかった…

Daga sorera ga kore kara okorou tosuru totetsumonai wazawai ni musubitsukou to wa dare hitori toshite kizukanakatta...

However, among those, not one had noticed the tremendous disaster that will result if this occurs...

1-iagensoukijapan000hfjg0.png

ガイア幻想紀

Gaia Gensou Ki

Gaia Fantasy Era

["Gensou" can also be an illusion; the basic idea is that it's something that isn't real. I'm seeing that the "ki" here can also be "chronicle", which is how I initially interpreted it, but that's usually written with a somewhat different character. I think "Epoch" or "Era" makes sense here, and the title at a glance looks like, for example, the "Jurassic era"; I think of it as if the game is describing a hitherto unknown period of history.]

1-iagensoukijapan0011ikcd.png

旅を始める , 旅の記録を消す , 旅の記録をうつす , サウンド/ボタンの変こう

Tabi o hajimeru, tabi no kiroku o kesu, tabi no kiroku o utsusu, saundo / botan no henkou

Begin journey, Erase journey record, Copy journey record, Sound / Button change

1-iagensoukijapan002rcjxn.png

どの記録にしますか? / 旅の記録1 / 最初からはじめる

Dono kiroku ni shimasu ka? / Tabi no kiroku 1 / Saisho kara hajimeru

Which record will you use? / Journey record 1 / Start from the beginning

1-iagensoukijapan0037njag.png

このせっていでいいですか

Kono settei de ii desu ka

Are these settings okay?

1-iagensoukijapan004wajix.png

教会

Kyoukai

Church

1-iagensoukijapan005z8knn.png

ぼくの名前はテム。

Boku no namae wa Temu.

My name is Tim.

[Tim's name would be transliterated "Temu"; I figure that's to make it easier for Japanese speakers, and because ティム, Timu, might not match perfectly to the English name anyway. I suppose it could be "Thame", pronounced a bit like "lion tamer", but I don't think that's a name for people, and most of the names here are common.]

1-iagensoukijapan00644k0b.png

父さんとバベルの塔へ探険行ってからちょうど1年の月日が流れた。

Tousan to Baberu no Tou e tanken itte kara choudo ichinen no tsukihi ga nagareru.

Exactly one year has passed since I went on an expedition to the Tower of Babel with my dad.

[I'm going to try to have a level of consistency with terms for fathers, since I think it can demonstrate some kind of relationship.]

1-iagensoukijapan00831kc4.png

父さん隊員たちはそうなんしこの町へ無事にもどったのはぼくだけ…

Tousan taiin tachi wa sounanshi kono machi e buji ni modotta no wa boku dake...

Of the members of dad's team, only I was able to avoid accidental death and return to this town in safety...

1-iagensoukijapan00974jer.png

父さんが死んだなんて今だに信じられない。いや信じるつもりもない…

Tousan ga shinda nante ima da ni shinjirarenai. Iya shinjiru tsumori mo nai...

Even now, I can't believe something like that dad died. No, I don't even intend to believe it...

1-iagensoukijapan0114lj9m.png

ぼくは大きくなったら探検家になって世界中をかけめぐるつもりだ。

Boku wa ookiku nattara tankenka ni natte sekaijuu o kakemeguru tsumori da.

When I become big or so, I intend to become an explorer and charge around the world.

1-iagensoukijapan013v6kne.png

そうすればどこかで父さんに会えるような気がするだ…

Sou sure ba doko ka de tousan ni aeru youna ki ga suru n da...

Because if that happens, I believe that I'll be able to meet my dad somewhere...

1-iagensoukijapan014unjh0.png

神父:今日の授業はここまでにしましょう。

Shinpu: Kyou no jugyou wa koko made ni shimashou.

Priest: Today's lesson ends here.

[It's worth noting that Oohara Mariko attended Catholic private schools like the Women's University of the Sacred Heart; for that reason, I'm going to view religious words like "priest" as being particularly deliberate, as opposed to Japanese media that uses it purely for flavour.]

1-iagensoukijapan015blkub.png

4人とも今度は残されないようにがんばるのですよ。

Yonin tomo kondo wa nozosarenai youni ganbaru no desu yo.

The four of you, this time, do your best so not to stay behind.

1-iagensoukijapan016gxjq0.png

それから近ごろ町の外に化物が姿を見せるようになりました。遠出するときは親といっしょに行くようにしなさい。

Sore kara chikagoro machi no soto ni bakemono ga sugata o miseru youni narimashita. Toode suru toki wa oya ni issho ni iku youni nasai.

Beyond that, what looks like monsters have recently been being seen outside of town. When you leave, please go with a parent.

1-iagensoukijapan017hxke2.png

モリス:じゃ今日もいつものところでっ!

Morisu: Ja kyou mo itsumo no tokoro de...!

Morris: Alright, today too, at the same place as always...!

1-iagensoukijapan018wijsi.png

エリック:ボクはいったん家に帰ってから行くよ。

Erikku: Boku wa ittan uchi ni kaette kara iku yo.

Eric: I'm going to briefly go home, then I'll go.

1-iagensoukijapan019aojn1.png

早く帰んないと補習で残されたことが母ちゃんにばれちゃう…テへへ。

Hayaku kaen'nai to hoshuu de nokosareta koto ga kaachan ni barechau... Tehehe.

If I don't go home quickly, the fact that I had to stay behind for supplemental lessons is going to leak to mommy... Heheh...

[The laugh here is written as "tehehe", but I think that sounds more silly and babyish rather than embarrassed to an English speaker.]

1-iagensoukijapan0203hj6o.png

ロブ:じゃ今日もいつもの海岸のどうくつでなっ!

Robu: Ja kyou mo itsumo no kaigan no doukutsu de na...!

Rob: Alright, to the coastal cave today again, huh...?

1-iagensoukijapan021phjb2.png

さあテム。お前いっしょにいのりなさい。

Saa Temu. Omae issho ni inori nasai.

Ah, Tim. Please pray with me.

1-iagensoukijapan022p8kpx.png

おお神よ。世界が永遠にかがやきつづけますように…

Oo kami yo. Sekai ga eien ni kagayaki tsuzukemasu youni...

O God. May the world continue to shine to eternity...

1-iagensoukijapan023jlkuf.png

サウスケープ

Sausu Keipu

South Cape

1-iagensoukijapan024iljbi.png

ヤミの空間

Yami no kuukan

Space of Darkness

[Note that despite the background, space here is like living space rather than not outer space. I may also be strict about using the work "darkness" as a noun. The official localization called this "dark space", which I don't think was wrong, but I feel that darkness has fairly concrete meanings in this game and I want to retain that.]

1-iagensoukijapan0252ej9l.png

私は生命のみなもとガイア。今後そなたの旅を手助けするもの。

Watashi wa seimei no minamoto Gaia. Kongo sonata no tabi o tedasu suru mono.

I am the fountainhead of life, Gaia. From now, I will assist thy journey.

1-iagensoukijapan0261mkpn.png

この空間が見えるのはヤミの力が宿った者だけ。そなたはえらばれた人間なのだ。

Kono kuukan ga mieru no wa yami no chikara ga yadotta mono dake. Sonata wa erabareta ningen nano da.

This Space is only visible for those in whom the Power of Darkness dwells. Thou are a chosen human.

1-iagensoukijapan027xvkv2.png

ヤミの空間では冒険の記録を行うことができる。旅先では必ずたちよるがいい。

Yami no kuukan dewa bouken no kiroku o okonau koto ga dekiru. Tabisaki dewa kanarazu tachiyoru ga ii.

The adventure's record can be done in the Space of Darkness. You should drop by in this journey.

[It says visiting a travel stop often, but I don't know if it means this stop or other places.]

1-iagensoukijapan028blk9q.png

そろそろ今までの冒険を記録しておいてはどうだね? / 記録する / 記録しない

Sorosoro ima made no bouken o kiroku shite oite wa dou da ne? / Kiroku suru / Kiroku shinai

So, will you record your adventure until now? / Record / Don't record

1-iagensoukijapan029utjfd.png

記録おわった…

Kiroku owatta...

Recording completed...

1-iagensoukijapan030rxkpz.png

まだ旅をつづけるのかね? / はい / いいえ

Mada tabi o tsuzukeru no ka ne? / Hai / Iie

Will you still continue with your journey? / Yes / No

1-iagensoukijapan031irjfr.png

ではゆくがよい。

Dewa yuku ga yoi.

Then you may go.

1-iagensoukijapan032zgjmv.png

こらっテムっ。あれほどここへ上っちゃいけないと…

Kora, Temu... Are hodo koko e noboccha ikenai to...

Hey, Tim... You shouldn't be coming up here...

1-iagensoukijapan0330jj85.png

お前はいろんなところから飛び降りるクセがあるからなぁ。心配でしかたないよ。トホホ。

Omae wa iron'na tokoro kara tobi oriru kuse ga aru kara na... Shinpai de shiatanai... Tohoho.

I think you have a habit of jumping down from various places, though. I can't help but worry. Aww.

["Tohoho" is apparently a crying sound, but I don't know how to represent that in English.]

1-iagensoukijapan036tkj8k.png

赤い宝石を見つけた!

Akai houseki o mitsuketa!

Found a Red Jewel!

[Terms like this are a little stressful because you have one side of you wanting to keep the same name so not to upset anyone, and one side of you wanting to change it to justify a new translation. I wanted to go with Red Gemstone at first since the Japanese characters for jewel are "treasure stone", but since that makes Gem's name sound more redundant, I've stuck with Red Jewel here. Capitalization is also a concern because Japanese doesn't do that and these are just common words, so I'm just running off the assumption that these jewels seem a little more special than just jewels that happens to be red.]

1-iagensoukijapan037g3j89.png

なかなか速そうな足をしてるな。走るときは進行方向のボタンをグッグーッと2回おすんだぜ。

Nakanaka hayasou na ashi o shiteru na. Hashiru toki wa shinkou houkou no botan o gugguu tto nikai osu nda ze.

You seem like you've got pretty fast feet, huh. You run when you mash the direction button twice.

[I also don't know what "gugguu" means, but the it's a casual statement overall, so I took it as adding to that.]

1-iagensoukijapan038r0k6f.png

私は7つの海をまたにかける宝石商ジェム。

Watashi wa nanatsu no umi o mata ni kakeru housekishou Jemu.

I am Gem, a jewel merchant that travels about the seven seas.

1-iagensoukijapan0396okzt.png

今日は何の用かな? / ふと顔がみたくなった / 赤い宝石をあずけたい / 品物リストを見たい

Kyou wa nan no you ka na? / Futo kao ga mitakunatta / Akai houseki o azuketai / Shinamono risuto o mitai

What business do we have today? / I didn't want to see your face / I want to deposit Red Jewels / I want to see the list of goods

[I feel like that first response has to be a figure of speech that sounds way harsher in English. Maybe "I didn't mean to bump into you".]

1-iagensoukijapan040yzjsb.png

そうかい。それはごきげんよう。

Sou kai. Sore wa gokigen'you.

Is that so. With that, nice to meet you.

1-iagensoukijapan0415tkcs.png

ちなみに宝石をかかげると私のところへ飛んでくることになっているからね。

Chinami ni houseki o kakageru to watashi no tokoro e tonde kuru koto ni natte iru kara ne.

By the way, if you lift up a jewel, it will fly to my location.

1-iagensoukijapan04206j65.png

そして何をかくそう。私はへんそうの名人なのだ。他の町でも会うだろうが君は気づかないかも知れないよ。

Soshite nani o kakusou. Watashi wa hensou no meijin nano da. Hoka no machi demo au darou ga kimi wa kizukanai kamo shirenai yo.

So what to hide. I am certainly a master of disguise. However, in other towns, I do not know whether you will recognize me or not.

[Again, I feel like the first part might be a set phrase.]

1-iagensoukijapan044wnkqm.png

うーん…これは実にいい宝石だね。大切にあずからせてもらうよ。

Uun... Kore wa jitsu ni ii houseki da ne. Taisetsu ni azukarasete morau yo.

Hmm... These are truly good jewels, right? Please, it is important to take care of them.

[I feel like he should be saying that he's going to take care of them, but I think "morau" means that he's getting that from you?]

1-iagensoukijapan045qwjev.png

これで宝石の数は全部で1コになったわけだな。

Kore de houseki no kazu wa zenbu de ikko ni natta wake da na.

With this, I think the number of jewels should altogether have become 1.

1-iagensoukijapan047w6khf.png

リストに書かれた数だけ宝石を集めたときその品物をあげるからね。

Risuto ni kakareta kazu dake houseki o atsumeta toki sono shinamono o ageru kara ne.

Only when the collected jewels reach the number on the list, will I give you that commodity.

1-iagensoukijapan048lpj33.png

薬草 / 守りのフォース / 命のフォース / 力のフォース / サイコパワー / ダークパワー / 私の秘密

Yakusou / Mamori no foosu / Inochi no foosu / Chikara no foosu / Saiko pawaa / Daaku pawaa / Watashi no himitsu

Medicinal Herb / Defense Force / Life Force / Strength Force / Psycho Power / Dark Power / My Secret

1-iagensoukijapan052klkfv.png

こらこら。近ごろ町の外には化物がうろついているんだぜ。

Kora kora. Chikagoro machi no soto ni wa bakemono ga urotsuite iru n da ze.

Hey, hey. Monsters have been seen recently outside of town.

1-iagensoukijapan053hyjoe.png

教会の神父さまから注意を受けてないのかい?むやみに町の外へでちゃダメだってこと。

Kyoukai no shinpu sama kara chuui o uketenai no kai? Muyami ni machi no soto e decha dame datte koto.

Did the church's priest not warn you? You shouldn't go outside town thoughtlessly.

1-iagensoukijapan056zkkfg.png

知り合いの天文学者が変なことをいうんだよ。この地球に向かって近づいている星があるとかってね。

Shiriai no tenmon gakusha ga hen na koto o iu n da yo. Kono chikyuu ni mukatte chikazuite iru hoshi ga aru toka tte ne.

An acquaintance of mine, who is an astronomer, said something strange. "A star is approaching the Earth" or something.

1-iagensoukijapan0585dkrd.png

最近変な商人が多くて困っちゃう。

Saikin henna shounin ga ooku te komacchau.

I'm worried because there have been a lot of strange merchants around recently.

1-iagensoukijapan0590njkv.png

まものがあらわれるようになってみんな困ってるっていうのにそれを商売にするんだからね..

Mamano ga arawareru youni natte minna komatteru tte iu noni sore o shoubai ni suru nda kara ne...

They're engaging that trade because everyone's saying they've become worried about the appearance of monsters...

1-iagensoukijapan062z6j1z.png

ここはぼくの家だ。祖母のローラがパイを焼いているのかいいにおいがただよっている。

Koko wa boku no uchi da. Soba no Roura ga pai o yaite iru noka ii nioi ga tadayotte iru.

Here is my house. Perhaps Grandmother Laura is baking a pie, as a nice smell is floating.

[The name in the localized version was Lola. It could be that, but I feel like Laura fits better with the generally plain European names of other characters in South Cape.]

1-iagensoukijapan063nmj9r.png

テムの家

Temu no uchi

Tim's house

1-iagensoukijapan064gqjf5.png

ローラ:おやテム。おかえり。夕食まで時間があるから外で遊んでおいで。

Roura: Oya Temu. Okaeri. Yuushoku made jikan ga aru kara soto de asonde oide.

Laura: Oh, Tim. Welcome home. There's time until dinner, so go play outside.

1-iagensoukijapan0664ejpj.png

ビル:おおおかえり。こんな時間に帰ってくるところをみるとまた残されたんじゃな。

Biru: Oo okaeri. Konna jikan ni kaette kuru tokoro o miru to mata nokosareta nja na.

Bill: Ah, welcome home. At this kind of time if you try to return home, there's still some remaining.

1-iagensoukijapan0676uknb.png

わっはっは。結構。結構。男の子は勉強ができんでも活発なほうがたのもしいもんじゃて。

Wahhahha. Kekkou. Kekkou. Otoko no ko wa benkyou dekin demo kappatsu na houga tanomoshii mon ja te.

Wahaha. Splendid. Splendid. A boy who can't study but I hope for vigorous blooming.

[I'm a little worried that what I read as "houga", blooming, is supposed to be "hou ga", a method. Maybe it was "it's fun to see how you grow up"?]

1-iagensoukijapan074ankax.png

セールスマン:おじさんはみんなの家をまわってまものと戦うための武器を売っているんだよ。

Seirusuman: Ojisan wa min'na no ie o mawatte mamono to tatakau tame no buki o utte iru nda yo.

Salesman: This old man goes around to everyone's houses selling weapons for fighting with demons.

[He starts this statement with "uncle", which can be figurative. I can't see who this uncle is supposed to be, so I took it as him talking about himself.]

1-iagensoukijapan075uaku1.png

最近はぶっそうな世の中だからね。でも子供の君に武器を売るわけにはいかないもんなぁ。

Saikin wa bussouna yo no naka dakara ne. Demo kodomo no kimi ni buki o uru wake niwa ikanai mon naa.

It's because the world's become dangerous recently. But I won't go selling weapons to a child like you.

1-iagensoukijapan0783ij4h.png

うーんいいにおいだ。家にはカマドがないからこうしてツボで料理をするのさ。

Uun ii nioi da. Uchi ni wa kamado ga nai kara koushite tsubo de ryouri o suru no sa.

Well, that's a good smell. There's no stove in my home, so I cook in this pot.

1-iagensoukijapan080fkklq.png

あたしたちっていつからこの遊びやってるんだろう..

Atashi tachi tte itsu kara kono asobi yatteru n darou..

How long have we been playing this game..?

1-iagensoukijapan082eqkk5.png

しかし不思議よね。この遊びってなんでだるまさんがころんだって言うのかしら…

Shikashi fushigi yo ne. Kono asobi tte nande daruma san ga koron datte iu no kashira...

But it's mysterious, huh. I wonder if this is the game called "the Dharma doll fell down"...

[I'm not sure why she's so confused. The game, by the way, is known elsewhere as "red light, green light", which I believe was used in the localization.]

1-iagensoukijapan084prk25.png

だるまさんが…

Daruma san ga...

The Dharma doll...

1-iagensoukijapan088bdkqd.png

ころんだっ!

Koronda...!

...fell down!

1-iagensoukijapan089ykk9z.png

ちぇっあたしばっかり…

Che, atashi bakkari...

Tsk, I always...

[I guess she's always it? Is that how the game works?]

1-iagensoukijapan092tok41.png

きゃあああっ!

Kyaaaa...!

Eeek...!

1-iagensoukijapan093ilj8f.png

なんてことするんだろうねっ!この子はっ!まったくもう…

Nante koto suru n darou ne...! Kono ko wa...! Mattaku mou...

What are you doing...!? This child...! Good grief...

1-iagensoukijapan095txkj6.png

あたしゃモリスがかわいそうでしかたがないよ。

Atasha Morisu ga kawaisou de shikata ga nai yo.

[I don't know what "atasha" is; I assume it's "atashi", a feminine way of referring to oneself, but blended with the "wa" particle or something like that.]

1-iagensoukijapan096pzkte.png

毎日あんな夫婦げんかをみせられてちゃ子供もたまんないよね。

Mainichi anna fuufugenka o miserarete cha kodomo mo taman'nai yo ne.

A child also having to see that kind of marital quarrel every day is intolerable, right?

[I'm guessing this means that it must be hard for Morris to see.]

1-iagensoukijapan0974ykbe.png

場所を変えてもちっともつれやしねえ…

Basho o kaete mo chitto mo tsure yashi nei...

Even if I change places a bit, I can't control it...

[I'm taking "yashi" as something like "yasashi" or "yasui", easy to do, because I can't see what else it would be. I'm also taking "tsuru" as "to fish" for obvious reasons.]

1-iagensoukijapan1003gkh7.png

モリスの家のドアを開けたとたん中からツボが飛んできたっ!

Morisu no ie no doa o aketa totan naka kara tonde kita...!

Just as the door to Morris' house was opened, a pot came flying out...!

1-iagensoukijapan101ibk15.png

モリスの家

Morisu no ie

Morris' house

1-iagensoukijapan102wkj3i.png

モリスの父:けっ。おれがかせいだ金で酒を飲んで何が悪いってんだ!

Morisu no chichi: Ke.... Ore ga kaseida kane de sake o nonde nani ga warui tte nda!

Morris's father: Hmph. What's wrong with drinking alcohol with the money I earned!?

1-iagensoukijapan1067xjh6.png

モリスの母:じょうだんじゃないわよっ!あの男っ!

Morisu no haha: Joudan ja nai wa yo...! Ano otoko...!

Morris's mother: It's not a joke...! That man...!

1-iagensoukijapan107m7kuq.png

息子のモリスがいるからがまんしてるけどそうじゃなかったらあたしはとっくに別れてるわよっ!

Musuko no Morisu ga iru kara gaman shiteru kedo sou ja nakatta ra atashi wa tokkuni betsu reteru wa yo...!

Because of my son, Morris, I'm tolerating it. But if not for that, I'd have divorced him long ago...!

1-iagensoukijapan110jzjy1.png

ここは親友ロブの家。彼は体の弱い母親と二人でくらしている。

Koko wa shinyuu Robu no ie. Kare wa karada no yowai hahaoya futari de kurashite iru.

Here is my close friend Rob's house. He lives here with his frail mother.

1-iagensoukijapan11142jea.png

ロブの母:あなたのお父さんとうちの人がバベルの塔で行方不明になってからもう1年がたつんだねえ。

Robu no haha: Anata no otousan to uchi no hito ga Baberu no tou de yukue fumei ni natte kara mou ichinen ga tatsu n da nee.

Rob's mother: It's already been one year since my husband went missing with your father at the Tower of Babel, hasn't it?

1-iagensoukijapan112pwj0o.png

なんだかつい昨日のような気がするよ…

Nandaka tsui kinou no you na ki ga suru yo...

Somehow it still feels like yesterday...

1-iagensoukijapan117rxkyr.png

ここには友人のエリックが住んでいる。

Koko ni yuujin no Erikku ga sunde iru.

My friend Eric lives in here.

1-iagensoukijapan119r6jnd.png

この家はサウスケープで一番大きい。お全持ちの家に生まれた人をぼくはうらやましく思う…

Kono ie wa Sausu Keipu de ichiban ookii. Okane mochi no ie ni umareta hito o boku wa urayamashiku omou...

This house is the biggest in South Cape. I feel jealous of people born to families with money...

1-iagensoukijapan120uajgv.png

海風でなびくあんたのかみの毛を見ているとうらやましいよ。あたしなんざこのスカーフの下は…

Kaifuu de nabiku anta no kami no ke o mite iru to urayamashii yo. Atashi nanza kono sukaafu no shita wa...

When I see your hair fluttering in the sea breeze, I get jealous. Mine is under this scarf...

1-iagensoukijapan122b0kho.png

世の中ちょっとしたことでお全持ちにも貧ぼうにもなるのね。あーあ何かいい話がころがってないかなぁ。

Yo no naka chotto shita koto de o kane mochi ni mo binbou ni mo naru no ne. Aaa nanika ii hanashi ga korogatte nai ka naa...

You know, a little thing about this this world is that even if you have money, you could fall into poverty. Ah, I think somehow a pleasant story didn't come out...

[I think what's she's saying here is that she meant to say something that's nice to hear, but absentmindly hit on an unpleasant subject.]

1-iagensoukijapan124vmjuq.png

エリックの父:みんなこの大きな家をうらやましがる…

Erikku no chichi: Min'na kono ookina ie o urayamashi garu...

Eric's father: Everyone seems to be jealous of our big house...

1-iagensoukijapan1251jj2a.png

だがなんのことはないのだよ。うちはみんなよりちょっと早くこの町へひっこしてきただけなのさ。

Daga nan no koto wa nai da yo. Uchi wa min'na yori chotto hayaku kono machi e hikko site kita dake na no sa.

But it's not a big deal. It's just that our family moved to this town a bit before everyone.

1-iagensoukijapan1285ek0o.png

エリックの母:別にせなかに火がついているわけじゃないんだよ(笑)これはおきゅうっていうのさ。

Erikku no haha: Betsu ni senaka ni hi ga tsuite iru wake ja nai n da yo (wara) kore wa okyuu tte iu no sa.

Eric's mother: Don't worry, my back isn't on fire. (Laugh) This is called "moxibustion".

[Moxibustion is a type of traditional Chinese medicine where a particular plant is burned against the skin.]

1-iagensoukijapan129awj2p.png

大きな家だとそうじをするだけでかたがこっとしょうがないよ…

Ooki na ie da to souji o suru dake de kata ga kotto shou ga nai yo...

With a big house, with just cleaning you can't help hurting your shoulder...

[I couldn't figure out what "kotto" was, so I guessed it's injuring or exhausting or something like that.]

1-iagensoukijapan132t1j9q.png

けっ。ちっともつれやしねえ…

Ke.... Chotto mo tsureyashi nee...

Kuh... It isn't easy to fish out even a little...

1-iagensoukijapan134c1j8t.png

変なツボをつり上げちまったい。

Hen na tsubo o tsuri age chi matta i.

I ended up fishing out this weird pot.

Oct 26, 2017
This used to be one of my favorite games of all time, but it's been so long since I've played that I won't recognize much of what you post and how it differentiates from the original. I'll still be watching though.

BryanFulton

Sep 3, 2018
I'll be keeping up with this. One of my favorite games from my childhood, and when I replayed it some years later I still enjoyed it quite a bit but always wondered about the translation quality. Thanks for doing this!

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks all!

I should probably mention the schedule too. I want to pace things out a little so that every segment gets a certain time to itself, especially the more powerful moments, so I'm currently thinking that I'll post one segment a day.

Generally this will be one whole visit to a town or dungeon per post, but there's a lot of dialogue in South Cape and a few other places, so I broke those up if there were natural places to do so to try to even out the post lengths a little.

Last edited:

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
My 11 year old self was absolutely lost in that game's music. The Inca ruins. The portal song.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing and inspirational to my own Japanese study L Thammy ! This is a seriously super cool project and I so appreciate you sharing your hard work with us.

desu

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing, I have to return to this when my Japanese skills get better (so in about 5-50 years).

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
This is very cool. Illusion of Gaia has a special place in my heart, and holds up remarkably well. Few games can match its melancholy atmosphere.

Chapter 2
OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
1-iagensoukijapan139kekdl.png

Coastal cave

1-iagensoukijapan140ztjl0.png

It might be strange, but we even call this coastal cave our second home.

1-iagensoukijapan141cskvn.png

Usually, we meet here after our lesson at church is finished and chat until it gets dark.

1-iagensoukijapan142p5jsx.png

Rob: What's up, Tim? Late, ain't ya…

1-iagensoukijapan1438lkfl.png

I'm playin' a match o' blackjack with Morris right now. Wait a sec.

1-iagensoukijapan146prjgq.png

Morris: Ahaha... It turns out that I win again.

1-iagensoukijapan147g0k63.png

Suddenly, Eric burst in with a strange expression on his face!

1-iagensoukijapan148q5kjg.png

Eric: Huff, huff... News...! It's biiig news...!

1-iagensoukijapan149xwk8h.png

I heard that Edward Castle's princess has gone missing! Supposedly she seems to be heading to this town!

1-iagensoukijapan150wyjwh.png

Rob: What? With ya bargin' in here like that, I thought somethin' cooler happened.

1-iagensoukijapan151k5kza.png

Besides, that "princess" is that selfish girl Karen, yeah? Who cares where someone like that is?

1-iagensoukijapan152poksv.png

Eric: Well, there's that, but soldiers are going to come to this town to search for the princess.

1-iagensoukijapan153s9kd5.png

Aren't Edward Castle's soldiers cool? I just want to look at them.

1-iagensoukijapan154z3jcd.png

Rob: Oy, Tim, don't hang around there. Go sit next to Eric.

1-iagensoukijapan156saki9.png

Morris: I have no interest in girls. Reading books is more fun.

1-iagensoukijapan158qekt1.png

Eric: Guh. And I had been thinking that maybe everyone would be surprised...

1-iagensoukijapan1607vk4u.png

Morris: Alright, since everyone's here, what are we doing today?

1-iagensoukijapan161m6jmi.png

Eric: I think I want to see Tim's mysterious powers.

1-iagensoukijapan16266jil.png

Look, he showed it to us the other day, didn't he? The guy can move things without using his hands.

1-iagensoukijapan163uhk0k.png

Rob: If I'm rememberin', I think he moved tha stone statue in this cavern's nook.

1-iagensoukijapan164n2jl3.png

Tim. Show us one more time.

1-iagensoukijapan165yoj6s.png

Eric: Recently, you moved the stone statue without being near it, right?

1-iagensoukijapan168chk5a.png

Rob: I think ya spun yer flute like a baton and pulled it towards ya.

1-iagensoukijapan171osjq4.png

Morris: Face the stone statue and press the L or R button.

1-iagensoukijapan173zwjr5.png

Rob: Whoa..! It moooooved..!!

1-iagensoukijapan174wlj8c.png

Rob: Alright. This time, do tha card reveal fer us.

1-iagensoukijapan1757wjc8.png

From tha four cards I'm placin' face down, raise and show us one if ya think it's tha ace o' diamonds.

1-iagensoukijapan176iake7.png

Rob: Come on. Find tha one that ya think is tha ace o' diamonds.

1-iagensoukijapan179prjcn.png

Eric: I think it would be nice. If I could also use a power like that…

1-iagensoukijapan181y1jvh.png

Morris: No matter how many times you see it, it's still cool, isn't it...?

1-iagensoukijapan182lujcb.png

However, I wonder why things like the desk don't move, and only the stone statue moves...

1-iagensoukijapan185j9km7.png

Tim found the card and raised it.

1-iagensoukijapan186auk5x.png

Surely enough, it was the ace of diamonds!!

1-iagensoukijapan187cnkps.png

Rob: Ah... He got it..!

1-iagensoukijapan188eejjg.png

Eric: Phew. I'm speechless…

1-iagensoukijapan1898ij43.png

Hey. Morris. You call this sort of thing "extrasensory perception", right?

1-iagensoukijapan190bfj2g.png

Morris: You call it "extrasensory perception", huh?

1-iagensoukijapan191sxkja.png

The word means a sense that goes beyond the human senses...

1-iagensoukijapan19212jli.png

What we call the human senses are the sense of sight,

1-iagensoukijapan193i3jd7.png

the sense of hearing,

1-iagensoukijapan194xvkzk.png

the sense of taste,

1-iagensoukijapan195b6jmp.png

the sense of smell,

1-iagensoukijapan196tjjln.png

and the sense of touch; it's what we call these five..

1-iagensoukijapan197ydjfn.png

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that what you call extrasensory perception is a sixth sense.

1-iagensoukijapan198whjxs.png

Rob: I don't understand tha things that Morris tha scholar says all that well.

1-iagensoukijapan1997gk5j.png

Rob: Morris. Take out tha cards; we'll have one more match next.

1-iagensoukijapan20043jps.png

Rob: I'll play another match or so with Morris and then go home.

Chapter 2 - Annotated version
OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

1-iagensoukijapan139kekdl.png

海岸のどうくつ

Kaigan no doukutsu

Coastal cave

1-iagensoukijapan140ztjl0.png

この海岸のどうくつはぼくらの第2の家と言ってもおかしくはない。

Kono kaigan no doukutsu wa boku ra no dai ni no ie to itte mo okashiku wa nai.

We also call this coastal cave our second home. It isn't strange.

[The "it isn't strange" bit is an expression, but I'm not totally clear on it. I think the idea is that it isn't normal, but it works anyway.]

1-iagensoukijapan141cskvn.png

教会での授業が終った後はたいていここに集まり日がくれるまで語り合う。

Kyoukai de no jugyou owatta ato wa taitei koko ni atsumari hi ga kureru katari au.

Usually, we meet here after the lesson at church is finished and chat until it gets dark.

1-iagensoukijapan142p5jsx.png

ロブ:なんだよテム。おそかったじゃんかっ。

Robu: Nan da yo Temu Osokatta jan ka....

Rob: What's up, Tim? Aren't you late?

1-iagensoukijapan1438lkfl.png

今モリスとブラックジャックの勝負をしてるんだ。ちょっと待ってくれ。

Ima Morisu to burakkujakku no shoubu no shiteru n da. Chotto matte kure.

I'm playing a match of blackjack with Morris right now. Please wait a bit.

[The kanji for "victory", used in the word "match", doesn't look quite right to me. But I'm pretty sure that's what it is.]

1-iagensoukijapan146prjgq.png

モリス:あははっ。またぼくの勝ちに決ってますよ。

Morisu: Ahaha.... Mata boku no kachi ni kimattemasu yo.

Morris: Ahaha... It turns out that I win again.

[It's more like it's decided that he wins, but I don't think he's saying that an actual person is doing the deciding.]

1-iagensoukijapan147g0k63.png

とつぜん。血相をかえたエリックがとびこんできた!

Totsuzen. Kessou o kaeta Erikku ga tobi konde kita!

Suddenly. Eric burst in with a changed expression!

[I guess it means that his expression has changed to something intense? I don't think it indicates explicitly what sort of expression he's supposed to have.]

1-iagensoukijapan148q5kjg.png

エリック:はぁはぁ…ニュースっ!大ニュースだあっ!

Erikku: Haahaa... Nyuusu...! Dai nyuusu daa...!

Eric: Huff, huff... News...! It's biiig news...!

1-iagensoukijapan149xwk8h.png

エドワード城の王女が行方不明になったんだってっ!なんでもこの町へきたらしいよ!

Edowaado jou no oujo yukue fumei ni natta n da tte...! Nande mo kono machi e kita rashii yo!

I heard that Edward Castle's princess has gone missing! Supposedly she seems to be heading to this town!

1-iagensoukijapan150wyjwh.png

ロブ:なんだよ。そんなにあわてて飛びこんでくるからもっとすごいことが起こったのかと思ったぜ。

Robu: Nan da yo. Sonna ni awatete tobi konde kuru kara motto sugoi koto ga okotta noka to omotta ze.

Rob: What? With you hurriedly barging in here like that, I thought something more impressive had happened.

1-iagensoukijapan151k5kza.png

それに王女ってあのわがまま娘のカレンだろ。あんなヤツのどこがいいんだっ?

Sore ni ojou tte ano wagamama musume no Karen daro. An'na yatsu no doko ga ii n da...?

Besides, that "princess" is that selfish girl Karen, right? That kind of jerk's where is good...?

[Aside from being dismissive, I don't know what the second sentence is supposed to mean. Maybe something like "she's fine wherever"?]

1-iagensoukijapan152poksv.png

エリック:そりゃそうだけど王女をさがすためにこの町へ兵士たちがやってくるよ。

Erikku: Sorya sou dakedo oujo o sagasu tame ni kono machi e heishi tachi ga yatte kuru yo.

Eric: Well, there's that, but soldiers will come to this town searching for the princess.

[Not 100% sure what's going on with the whole "sorya sou dakedo" bit, which I translated as "well, there's that", but I think it's similar.]

1-iagensoukijapan153s9kd5.png

エドワード城の兵士ってかっこいいじゃない?ぼくはそれが見たいだけだい。

Edowaado jou no heishi tte kakkoii ja nai? Boku wa sore ga mitai dake dai.

[Not completely confident about what "dai" is. Might be a childish particle. I think Eric's supposed to be a little childish, but it's not really hammered I as far as I can tell.]

1-iagensoukijapan154z3jcd.png

ロブ:テムも、そんなところにいないでエリックのとなりの席に行けよ。

Robu: Temu mo, son'na tokoro ni inai ide Erikku no tonari no seki ni ike yo.

Rob: And Tim, don't be in that kind of place. Go to the seat next to Eric.

[Dunno what the "de" is doing here.]

1-iagensoukijapan156saki9.png

モリス:ぼくは女性にはきょうみありませんね。本を読んでた方が楽しいですよ。

Moris: Boku wa josei ni wa youmi arimasen nee. Hon o yondeta kata ga tanoshii desu yo.

Morris: I have no interest in girls. Reading books is more fun.

1-iagensoukijapan158qekt1.png

エリック:ちぇっ。みんなびっくりするかと思ったのに…

Erikku: Che... Minna bikkuri suru kato omotta no ni...

Eric: Guh. And I had been thinking that maybe everyone would be surprised...

1-iagensoukijapan1607vk4u.png

モリス:さてみんなそろったし今日は何をしましょうか?

Morisu: Sate min'na sorottashi kyou wa nani o shimashou ka?

Morris: Alright, since everyone's here, what are we doing today?

1-iagensoukijapan161m6jmi.png

エリック:ぼくはテムのふしぎな力が見たいなあ。

Erikku: Boku wa Temu no fushigi na chikara ga mitai naa.

Eric: I think I want to see Tim's mysterious powers.

1-iagensoukijapan16266jil.png

ほらいつか見せてくれたじゃない?手をつかわないで物をうごかすやつ。

Kora itsuka misete kureta ja nai? Te o tsukawanai de mono o ugokasu yatsu.

Look, you showed it to us the other day, didn't you? The guy can move things without using his hands.

1-iagensoukijapan163uhk0k.png

ロブ:たしかこのどうくつのすみっこにある石像を動かしたんだよな。

Robu: Tashika kono doukutsu no sumiko ni aru sekizou o ugokashita yo na.

Rob: If I recall correctly, I think it was the stone statue in this cavern's nook that moved.

1-iagensoukijapan164n2jl3.png

テム。もう一回見せてくれよっ。

Temu. Mou ikkai misete kure yo....

Tim. Show us one more time.

1-iagensoukijapan165yoj6s.png

エリック:こないだははなれたところから石像を動かしたんだよね。

Erikku: Konaida wa hanareta tokoro kara sekizou o ugokashita n da yo ne.

Eric: Recently, you moved a stone statue from a distant place, right?

1-iagensoukijapan168chk5a.png

ロブ:たしか笛をバトンみたいにまわしてひきよせんだよな。

Robu: Tashika fue o baton mitai ni awashitehikiyosen da yo na.

Rob: I think you spun your flute like a baton and pulled it towards you.

1-iagensoukijapan171osjq4.png

モリス:石像の方をむいてLRボタンをおすんですよね。

Morisu: Sekizou no kata o muite LR botan o osunde su yo ne.

Morris: Face the stone statue's direction and press the L or R button.

1-iagensoukijapan173zwjr5.png

ロブ:おおっ!うごいたああああっ!!

Robu: Oo...! Ugoitaaaaa...!!

Rob: Whoa..! It moooooved..!!

1-iagensoukijapan174wlj8c.png

ロブ:よし。今度はトランプ当てをやってもらおうぜ。

Robu: Yoshi. Kondo wa toranpu ate o yatte moraou ze.

Rob: Alright. This time, do the card reveal for us.

1-iagensoukijapan1757wjc8.png

オレが4枚のカードを裏返しにおくからダイヤのエースだと思うものを拾いあげてくれ。

Ore ga yonmai no kaado o uragaeshi ni oku kara daiya no eisu dato omou mono o hiroi agete kure.

From the four cards I place face down, raise and show us one if you think it's the ace of diamonds.

1-iagensoukijapan176iake7.png

ロブ:さあ。ダイヤのエースだと思うものを拾ってくれ。

Robu: Saa. Daiya no eisu dato omou mono o hirotte kure.

Rob: Come on. Find the one that you think is the ace of diamonds.

1-iagensoukijapan179prjcn.png

エリック:いいなあ。ぼくもそんな力が使えたらなあ…

Erikku: Ii na. Boku mo son'na chikara tsuetara naa...

Eric: I think it's good. If I could also use a power like that...

1-iagensoukijapan181y1jvh.png

モリス:何回見てもすごいですねっ。

Morisu: Nankai mite mo sugoi desu ne....

Morris: No matter how many times you see it, it's still cool, isn't it...?

1-iagensoukijapan182lujcb.png

しかし机とかは動かないのになんでその石像だけは動くんでしょう…

Shikashi tsukue toka wa ugokanai no ni nan de sono sekizou dake wa ugoku n deshou...

However, I wonder why things like the desk don't move, and only the stone statue moves...

1-iagensoukijapan185j9km7.png

テムはカードを拾いあげた。

Temu wa kaado wo hiroi ageta.

Tim found the card and raised it.

1-iagensoukijapan186auk5x.png

それはまぎれもなくダイヤのエースだった!!

Sore wa magiremonaku daiya no eisu datta!!

It was undoubtedly the ace of diamonds!!

1-iagensoukijapan187cnkps.png

ロブ:おおっ。あたったあっ!!

Robu: Oo... Atatta...!!

Rob: Ah.... He got it..!

1-iagensoukijapan188eejjg.png

エリック:ふぅ。言葉も出ないよ…

Erikku: Fuu. Kotoba mo denai yo...

Eric: Phew. The words aren't coming out...

1-iagensoukijapan1898ij43.png

ねぇ。モリス。こういうのをチョウノウリョクって言うんでしょ?

Nee. Morisu. Kou iu no o chounouryoku tte iu n desho?

Hey. Morris. This sort of thing is called extrasensory perception, right?

[I believe the specific term used covers both second sight and psychokinesis, so it's not just about Tim sensing things.]

1-iagensoukijapan190bfj2g.png

モリス:チョウノウリョクっていうのはですね。

Morisu: Chounouryoku tte iu no wa desu ne.

Morris: It's what you call extrasensory perception, huh?

1-iagensoukijapan191sxkja.png

言葉のとおり人間の能力を越えた力…

Kotoba no toori ningen no nouryoku o koeta chikara...

The word means a power that exceeds human ability...

[This makes more sense in Japanese, where it's literally written as "super ability power".]

1-iagensoukijapan19212jli.png

人間の感覚っていうのは見て感じること、

Ningen no kankaku tte iu no wa mite kanjiru koto,

What we call the human senses are the sense of sight,

1-iagensoukijapan193i3jd7.png

聞いて感じること、

kiite kanjiru koto,

the sense of hearing,

1-iagensoukijapan194xvkzk.png

味わって感じること、

ajiwatte kanjiru koto,

the sense of taste,

1-iagensoukijapan195b6jmp.png

においをかいで感じること、

nioi o kaide kanjiru koto,

the sense from the effect of a scent,

[Not sure why this is structured differently. I imagine these are standard phrases.]

1-iagensoukijapan196tjjln.png

さわって感じること、の5つだって言われています。

Sawatte kanjiru koto, no itsutsu datte iwarete imasu.

the sense of touching; these are what are called the five.

[Not sure what the "no" is doing, but I guess it's part of a sentence structure that doesn't map up well with English.]

1-iagensoukijapan197ydjfn.png

チョウノウリョクっていうのは6番目の力なんじゃないかとぼくは思っているんですけどね。

Chounouryoku tte iu no wa roku banme no chikara nan ja nai ka to boku wa omotte iru n desu kedo ne.

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that what you call extrasensory perception is a sixth ability.

[I don't really get the "nan ja nai ka to" part in the middle; it looks to me like it's just "it isn't what?" I guessed that it adds uncertainty but it feels like it's just shoved in the middle of a statement.]

1-iagensoukijapan198whjxs.png

ロブ:学者モリスの言うことはむずかしくてオレにはよくわかんねーや。

Robu: Gakusha Morisu no iu koto wa muzukashikute oer ni wa yokuwakan'nei ya.

Rob: I don't understand the things Morris the scholar says all that well.

1-iagensoukijapan1997gk5j.png

ロブ:モリス。カード出したついでにもうひと勝負しようぜ。

Robu: Morisu. Kaado dashita tsuide ni mou hito shoubu shiyou ze.

Rob: Morris. Take out the cards; we'll have one more match next.

1-iagensoukijapan20043jps.png

ロブ:おれはモリスともうひと勝負したら帰ることにするよ。

Robu: Ore wa Morisu o mou hito shoubu shita ra kaeru koto ni suru yo.

Rob: I'll play another match or so with Morris and then go home.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Super cool. I've never played this game before but I'm always fascinated by translation and love reading about Japanese <=> English translations in particular (thanks to games of course). Watching thread!

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
it's been so long since I've played that I won't recognize much of what you post and how it differentiates from the original.

Revisiting this post, I just remembered that we've already seen a few things that wouldn't have been in the original game. Remember that this was published by Nintendo outside of Japan, and the game only arrived in the US around the formation of the ESRB. Nintendo was still very strict in its content policy.

Considering that, we have the opening talking about the gods of the ancient people. Additionally, what the official translation called a school is said here to be a church, and what it said to be a teacher is said here to be a priest. The priest even prays to God when you speak to him.

Since the four boys seem to be kept back after class because they're falling behind the other students, it seems like they're in some kind of religious education system. Maybe they're Catholic school students just like the game's writer was.

Last edited:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Subscribed!

<3 Quintet

I wonder about the differences between english and japanese scripts in the more dark scenes like that one on the raft.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watching this thread, played when I was a kid. Super cool to see.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
This is one of my favorite rare(maybe not too rare) gems I played as a kid.
My brother actually bought me this game when he was stationed in japan, lucky for my it was in english. A real surprise, I remember being completely stuck in the part where it's a cave and you're supposed to pay attention to the wind. I gave up and didnt touch the game for a long time until one day I went back to it and noticed the characters hair blowing which was a clue. I went on to complete the game from there.
All this before the days of the internet resources like we have now although if I'm not mistaken the instruction booklet that comes with the game sort of served as a mini guide I think.

Chapter 3
OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
1-iagensoukijapan206z1kwd.png

Around when I left the coastal cave, the sky had been completely painted by twilight.

1-iagensoukijapan207opkw0.png

Then thou shouldst rest at thy own pace.

1-iagensoukijapan209kujm0.png

With this, I think the number of jewels should have become 3 altogether.

1-iagensoukijapan2101jj76.png

Whoops, the number of jewels you've collected have passed 3, haven't they...! Going by the list, I'll give you a Medicinal Herb.

1-iagensoukijapan211afjmb.png

Received a Medicinal Herb from the jewel merchant!

1-iagensoukijapan2126rj27.png

Items / Equips items. Equipped things can be used with the B button.

1-iagensoukijapan21362klo.png

Sort / Sorts items.

1-iagensoukijapan214l9jyv.png

Discard / Discards items.

1-iagensoukijapan215ejj8v.png

Status / This is Tim's status. An explanation of the selected Power of Darkness will be displayed with the confirm button.

1-iagensoukijapan223w2je6.png

Guh... I can't easily fish it out, even a little, huh...

1-iagensoukijapan285owj6c.png

A pig is destroying the room...!

1-iagensoukijapan28633kfi.png

But why is there a pig in my house…?

1-iagensoukijapan2876ljsc.png

Squee squee

1-iagensoukijapan289uvkx0.png

Karen: Oh my, Peggy. You shouldn't bully people you don't know.

1-iagensoukijapan290ruj40.png

You, are you a child that lives in this house?

1-iagensoukijapan291jpjqm.png

Tim: Yeah... That's right, but...?

1-iagensoukijapan2931ej4b.png

Karen: The way you dress looks little drab, right?

1-iagensoukijapan294v7jid.png

Tim: Well, my bad!

1-iagensoukijapan295xoko7.png

Karen: Where is your father? Your mother? They're not here, right?

1-iagensoukijapan296cjks7.png

Karen: Are these your parents in this picture?

1-iagensoukijapan2972jk2d.png

Tim: That's right. Dad went on an expedition...

1-iagensoukijapan2982lk81.png

Karen: I know. it was Allman's expedition team, right? There was an accident, right.

1-iagensoukijapan299oajm5.png

Tim: He's definitely coming home someday.

1-iagensoukijapan300rhjnp.png

Karen: Are you angry? …I got it wrong, huh.

1-iagensoukijapan301qkj6z.png

I must have made you sad, that was stupid of me... I'm sorry...

1-iagensoukijapan302mij50.png

Karen: In this house, there's no piano either, right?

1-iagensoukijapan303q7j80.png

Tim: There isn't anything like that! But, Grandma Laura is an amazing singer.

1-iagensoukijapan304xbjf9.png

Karen: Speaking of singing, they're singing on the second floor right now. The two of them have loud voices.

1-iagensoukijapan308n4jkg.png

Laura: Welcome home, Tim. Silly me, I suppose that when I sing opera, I forget what time it is... Dinner isn't ready.

1-iagensoukijapan310kpj7b.png

Bill: Oh dear. It's been a while since I've sung so loudly.

1-iagensoukijapan311zmjs8.png

Your Grandma Laura was once a singer for a bar.

1-iagensoukijapan3122yjy2.png

Your grandma's beautiful voice impressed itself onto my heart, so I proposed. Bwahahaha.

1-iagensoukijapan313jojec.png

Laura: Ohohohoho. Stop it, dear! Bringing up that kind of thing now...

1-iagensoukijapan314o4jqe.png

That's right! Tim, you shouldn't be shocked.

1-iagensoukijapan315hgjrv.png

There was a girl here singing with us a while ago, right...?

1-iagensoukijapan31628ja3.png

Noooooooooo...!!

1-iagensoukijapan31709j3r.png

A shriek echoed from the first floor!

1-iagensoukijapan318z6jrv.png

Bill: That shriek was from that girl from a moment ago...!!

1-iagensoukijapan319sajtf.png

Soldier: Your Royal Highness. We've been searching for you!

1-iagensoukijapan320whjwy.png

Karen: I don't know anyone like you... I said leave...!

1-iagensoukijapan321ydjou.png

Soldier: What are you saying? If I don't bring you home, my head's going to roll.

1-iagensoukijapan322arkbr.png

Karen: I think you've got the wrong person. I'm a flower girl called Popongo.

1-iagensoukijapan3236ckc6.png

Soldier: Your Highness! Do you think I can be tricked with that kind of red-faced lie...?

1-iagensoukijapan324scjzt.png

Ultimately, this is the king's order. We're bringing you home even if we have to do it by brute force!

1-iagensoukijapan3258rk8a.png

Karen: I'm sorry for lying to you. I'm Karen of Edward Castle.

1-iagensoukijapan326i4kiq.png

Wasn't your name Tim? I don't feel like I'm meeting with you for the first time. For some reason, I think we can become good friends.

1-iagensoukijapan327qhklw.png

Laura: Speaking of Edward Castle, it has a giant aqueduct underground.

1-iagensoukijapan328ywjhx.png

I was the person who built that that labyrinthine aqueduct, Tim.

1-iagensoukijapan329fnkwq.png

Tim: Wha...! Really?

1-iagensoukijapan330gpj5g.png

Bill: It was because I was an architect long ago.

1-iagensoukijapan331grkvz.png

There is a jail underneath that castle.

1-iagensoukijapan3327vjz3.png

It turned into a complex structure so that it wouldn't be easy for prisoners to escape.

1-iagensoukijapan333kfkfm.png

However, the complicated feelings of the people of the people who are sent every day to the jail that I created…

1-iagensoukijapan334xpklu.png

Laura: Well, with that painful story being over with, we can have dinner now.

1-iagensoukijapan335syji8.png

I've baked a delicious pie, so. Come on both of you, we're late, so go with me to the second floor.

1-iagensoukijapan336tujbe.png

Bill: Hey Tim. Don't you think Grandma Laura's only been cooking weird things lately?

1-iagensoukijapan337vyjm5.png

Last night was miso rice. Before that, sashimi curry. I can't stand eating like this...

1-iagensoukijapan338mukdj.png

They say that when people have grown old and can't help but questions their own lives, they've started to go senile, but,

1-iagensoukijapan3394xkk3.png

somehow your grandma probably cannot bear the troubles we can't speak of...

1-iagensoukijapan346lhkys.png

Tim: Ultimately, we had meat pies topped with lots of whipped cream for dinner...

1-iagensoukijapan347nrjvz.png

I only ate one slice, but Grandpa Bill endured and even ate three slices.

1-iagensoukijapan3480okvp.png

Then, that night, I had a dream. A dream that I was going on a journey around the world with Karen..

1-iagensoukijapan3498rj54.png

Then, the next morning. A terrible affair was arising...

1-iagensoukijapan350urkbv.png

Laura: Good morning, Tim. A letter has arrived for you from King Edward.

1-iagensoukijapan351hgkwq.png

Something like this was written in the letter.

1-iagensoukijapan353wik56.png

Bring the crystal ring from Allman's personal possessions to Edward castle. / King Edward

1-iagensoukijapan3550tk8e.png

Laura: From the moment I saw this letter, I've been ticked off somehow.

1-iagensoukijapan356x8k6u.png

Ah, that's it! Tim. I'll teach you a good luck charm. If you whistle this when you're worried, you can definitely get through.

1-iagensoukijapan357rfjwa.png

Laura hummed a mysterious melody.

1-iagensoukijapan358pqk3r.png

That was a charming melody.

1-iagensoukijapan359n2jh5.png

Although I must have been hearing it for the first time, somehow I was experiencing a very nostalgic feeling.

1-iagensoukijapan360djkfa.png

You learned Laura's Melody!

1-iagensoukijapan3613sjto.png

Laura: Go, and be careful.

1-iagensoukijapan363idjro.png

Bill: Crystal Ring... Uhh, I don't think I've even heard of that.

1-iagensoukijapan364eqj0e.png

There wasn't anything like that in the luggage your dad, Allman, left behind, either...

1-iagensoukijapan365lhk45.png

Anyhow, will you try to go to Edward castle? You may be able to meet the princess from yesterday. Bwahahaha.

1-iagensoukijapan391wtk1f.png

Rob: Today's a holiday from lessons at church too.. Guess there's nothin' interesting goin' on.

1-iagensoukijapan3983ekrj.png

Huh? You say that King Edward summoned for you to go to the castle? Well, go and take care.

1-iagensoukijapan3999vj7e.png

Take care, huh?

Chapter 3 - Annotated version
OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

1-iagensoukijapan206z1kwd.png

海岸のどうくつを出るとあたりはすっかり夕やみに染まっていた。

Kaigan no doukutsu o deru to atari wa sukkari yuuyami ni somatte ita.

Around when I left the coastal cave, the sky had been completely painted by twilight.

1-iagensoukijapan207opkw0.png

ではゆっくり休むがよい。

Dewa yukkuri yasumu ga yoi.

Then it is well to rest at your pace.

[This is the line given by Dark Gaia when you do not choose to keep playing after saving.]

1-iagensoukijapan209kujm0.png

これで宝石の数は全部で3コになったわけだな。

Kore de houseki no suu wa zenbu de san ko ni natta wake da na.

With this, I think the number of jewels should altogether have become 3.

1-iagensoukijapan2101jj76.png

おっと集めた宝石が3コを越えているじゃないかっ!リストの通り薬草をあげなくては。

Otto atsumeta houseki ga san ko o koete iru ja nai ka...! Risuto no toori yakusou o agenaku te wa.

Whoops, the number of jewels you've collected have passed 3, haven't they...! Going by the list, I'll give you a Medicinal Herb.

[It seems like both of these lines use a negative; the first is obviously for emphasis, but I'm not as familiar with the second one.]

1-iagensoukijapan211afjmb.png

宝石商から薬草をもらった!

Housekishou kara yakusou o moratta!

Received a Medicinal Herb from the jewel merchant!

1-iagensoukijapan2126rj27.png

もちもの / もちものをそうびします。そうびしたものはBボタンでつかうことができます。

Mochimono / Mochimono o soubi shimasu. Soubi shita mono wa B botan de tsukau koto ga dekimasu.

Belongings / Equips belongings. Equipped things can be used with the B button.

1-iagensoukijapan21362klo.png

ならべかえ / もちものをならべかえます。

Narabe kae / Mochimono o narabe kaemasu.

Sort / Sorts belongings.

1-iagensoukijapan214l9jyv.png

すてる / もちものをすてます。

Suteru / Mochimono o sutemasu.

Discard / Discards belongings.

1-iagensoukijapan215ejj8v.png

じょうたい / テムのじょうたいですけっていボタンでヤミのちからのせつめいがひょうじされます

Joutai / Temu no joutai desu / Kettei botan e yami no chikara no setsumei hyouji saremasu

Status / This is Tim's status. With the decision button, the Power of Darkness will be explained.

["Power of Darkness" is the name for Tim's special abilities.]

1-iagensoukijapan223w2je6.png

けっ。ちょともつれやしねえ…

Ke.... Choto mo tsureyashi nee...

Guh.... I can't take it even a little, huh...

1-iagensoukijapan285owj6c.png

ブタが部屋の中をあらしているっ!

Buta ga heya no naka wo arashi te iru...!

The pig is destroying the room...!

1-iagensoukijapan28633kfi.png

しかしなんでぼくの家にブタが…

Shikashi nan de boku no uchi ni buta ga...

However, why is there a pig in my house...

1-iagensoukijapan2876ljsc.png

ブヒブヒッ

Buhi buhi

Squeal squeal

[It seems to me like it's more of a squealing sound than an oinking sound, so that's what I went with.]

1-iagensoukijapan289uvkx0.png

カレン:あらあらペギーちゃん。知らない人をいじめちゃダメよ。

Karen: Ara ara Pegie chan. Shiranai hito o ijime cha dame yo.

Karen: Oh my, Peggy. You shouldn't bully people you don't know.

[I suppose the pig's name could be Piggy, but I think that would more likely be ピギー. I'm seeing ピッグ (Piggu) as a transliteration of pig.]

1-iagensoukijapan290ruj40.png

あなた、ここの家の子?

Anata, koko no ie no ko?

Are you a child from this house?

1-iagensoukijapan291jpjqm.png

テム:むっ…そうだけど?

Temu: Mu...... Sou da kedo?

Tim: Yeah... That's right, but?

1-iagensoukijapan2931ej4b.png

カレン:なんだかさえない身なりね。

Karen: Nan da ka saenai mi nari ne?

Karen: The way you dress looks little drab, huh?

1-iagensoukijapan294v7jid.png

テム:わるかったな!

Temu: Warukatta na!

Tim: Well, my bad!

1-iagensoukijapan295xoko7.png

カレン:お父さまは?お母さまは?いないのね。

Karen: O tou sama wa? O haha sama wa? Inai no ne.

Karen: Where is your father? Your mother? They're not here, huh?

[I can't help but notice that she addresses Tim's parents very politely.]

1-iagensoukijapan296cjks7.png

カレン:この絵がご両親?

Karen: Kono e ga go ryoushin?

Karen: Are these your parents in this picture?

1-iagensoukijapan2972jk2d.png

テム:そうだよ。父さんは探険に行って…

Tem: Sou da yo. Tou san wa tanken ni itte...

Tim: That's right. Dad went on an expedition...

1-iagensoukijapan2982lk81.png

カレン:知ってるわよ。オールマン探検隊でしょ、そうなんしたのよね。

Karen: Shitte ru wa yo. Ouruman tankentai desho, sounanshita no yo ne.

Karen: I know. it was Allman's expedition team, right? There was an accident, huh.

[I'm not totally certain what name Ouruman is supposed to be, but I'm primarily seeing Allman when I google it. I'm also include to favour it over something like Olman or Orman because I feel like the naming scheme in South Cape is very English.]

1-iagensoukijapan299oajm5.png

テム:いつかきっと帰ってくるさ。

Temu: Itsuka kitto kaette kuru sa.

Tim: He's definitely coming home someday.

1-iagensoukijapan300rhjnp.png

カレン:おこったの?…ちがうわね。

Karen: Okotta no? ...Chigau wa ne.

Karen: Are you angry? ...That's wrong, huh.

1-iagensoukijapan301qkj6z.png

悲しませたのね、あたしったら..ごめんなさい…

Kanashimaseta no ne, atashi ttara.. Gomen nasai...

I must have made you sad... I'm sorry...

1-iagensoukijapan302mij50.png

カレン:ところでこの家、ピアノもないのね。

Karen: Tokoro de kono ie, piano mo nai no ne?

Karen: In this house, there's no piano either, huh?

1-iagensoukijapan303q7j80.png

テム:ないよっ、そんなもの!でも、ローラおばあちゃんはものすごく歌がうまいんだぞ。

Temu: Nai yo, son'na mono! Demo, Roura obaa chan wa mono sugoku uta ga umai n da zo.

Tim: There isn't anything like that! But, Grandma Laura is amazingly good as singing.

1-iagensoukijapan304xbjf9.png

カレン:歌なら今2階で歌ってるわよ。二人とも声が大きいのなんの。

Karen: Uta nara ima nikai de utatte ru wa yo. Futari tomo koe ga ookii no nan no.

Karen: Speaking of singing, they're singing on the second floor right now. The two of them have loud voices.

1-iagensoukijapan308n4jkg.png

ローラ:おかえりテム。あたしったらオペラを歌ってたら時の立つのもわすれて…夕ごはんできてないのよ。

Roura: Okaeri Temu. Atashi ttara opera o utatte tara toki no tatsu nomowasurete... Yuugohan dekite nai no yo.

Laura: Welcome home, Tim. I suppose that when I sing opera, I forget what time it is... Dinner isn't ready.

1-iagensoukijapan310kpj7b.png

ビル:いやはや。久びさに大声で歌ったわい。

Biru: Iyahaya. Hisabisa ni oogoe de utatta wai.

Bill: Oh dear. It's been a while since I've sung so loudly.

1-iagensoukijapan311zmjs8.png

ローラばあさんはむかし酒場の歌ひめをやっとったんじゃ。

Roura baa san wa mukashi sakaba no utahime o yattota n ja.

Your Grandma Laura was once a singer for a bar.

1-iagensoukijapan3122yjy2.png

わしはばあさんの美しい声と心にほれプロポーズしたんじゃよ。ふぁっふぁっふぁっ。

Washi wa baa an no utsukushii koe to kokoro ni hore puropouzu shita n ja yo. Faffaffa.

Your grandma's beautiful voice engraved itself on my heart, so I proposed. Bwahahaha.

1-iagensoukijapan313jojec.png

ローラ:おーほっほほほーっ。いやだねぇおまえさん!今ごろそんなことをもちだして。

Roura: Ouhohhohoho. Iya da nee, omae san! Imagoro son'na koto o mochi dashite.

Laura: Ohohohoho. Stop it, dear! Bringing up that kind of thing now...

1-iagensoukijapan314o4jqe.png

そうだ!テム聞いておどろいちゃいけないよ。

Sou da! Temu kiite odoroi cha ikenai yo.

That's right! Tim, you shouldn't be shocked.

[This confused me a little. It's more literally something like "shouldn't be being surprised and hearing", which I immediately thought was "you shouldn't listen to this", but I don't think that was right.]

1-iagensoukijapan315hgjrv.png

さっきまでここでいっしょに歌っていた女の子はね…

Sakki made koko de issho ni utatte ita onna no ko wa ne...

There was a girl here singing with us a while ago, right...?

1-iagensoukijapan31628ja3.png

いやーーーーーーーーーっ!!!

Iyaaaaaaaa...!!!

Noooooooooo...!!!

1-iagensoukijapan31709j3r.png

一階から悲鳴がひびきわたった!

Ikkai kara himei ga hibiki watatta!

A shriek echoed from the first floor!

1-iagensoukijapan318z6jrv.png

ビル:さっきの子の悲鳴じゃっ!!

Biru: Sakki no ko no himei ja...!!

Bill: That shriek was from that child from a moment ago...!!

1-iagensoukijapan319sajtf.png

兵士:おひめさま。さがしましたよっ!

Heishi: O hime sama. Sagashimashita yo!

Soldier: Your Royal Highness. We've been searching for you!

1-iagensoukijapan320whjwy.png

カレン:あんた達なんか知らないわよっ。出てってよっ!

Karen: Anta tachi nanka shiranai wa yo... Dete tte yo..!

Karen: I don't know anyone like you... I said, leave...!

1-iagensoukijapan321ydjou.png

兵士:何をおっしゃいます。ここで達れて帰らなかったら私の首がとびますっ。

Heishi: Nani o osshaimasu. Koko de tsurete kaeranakatta ra watashi no kubi ga tobimasu....

Soldier: What are you saying. If I don't bring you home from here, my head's going to roll.

[It's more literally "neck is flying" but it's still referring to beheading, literally or otherwise.]

1-iagensoukijapan322arkbr.png

カレン:人ちがいでしょっ。あたしは花売り娘のポポンゴっていうのよ。

Karen: Hito chigai desho.... Atashi wa hana uri musume no Popongo tte iu no yo.

Karen: I think you've got the wrong person. I'm a flower girl called Popongo.

1-iagensoukijapan3236ckc6.png

兵士:おひめさま!そんな真っ赤なウソにだまされると思ってるんですかっ。

Heishi: O hime sama! Son'na makka na uso ni damasareru to omotte ru n desu ka....

Soldier: Your Highness! Do you think I can be tricked with that kind of red-faced lie...?

[I've heard this line is supposed to be a joke. The phrase is more like "pure red lie", although I think it's a standard phrase like "bald-faced lie".]

1-iagensoukijapan324scjzt.png

これは国王のご命令なのです。力づくでも連れて帰りますよ!

Kore wa kokuou no go meirei na no desu. Chikara zuke de mo tsurete kaerimasu yo!

Ultimately, this is the king's order. Even if it's only with brute force, we're bringing you home!

1-iagensoukijapan3258rk8a.png

カレン:ウソついてごめんね。あたしはエドワード城のカレン。

Karen: Uso tsuite gomen ne. Atashi wa Edowaado jou no Karen.

Karen: I'm sorry for lying to you. I'm Karen of Edward Castle.

1-iagensoukijapan326i4kiq.png

テムって言ったかしら?あなたとは初めて会うっていう気がしないのよね。なんだかいいお友達になれそう。

Temu tte itta kashira? Anata to wa hajimete autte iu ki ga shinai no yo ne. Nandaka ii o tomodachi ni naresou.

I think you were called Tim? I don't feel like I'm meeting with you for the first time. For some reason, it seems like we can become good friends.

[There's a "saying" in there, like "meeting for the first time" is a quote, but I think that might just be how this expression works.]

1-iagensoukijapan327qhklw.png

ローラ:エドワード城って言えば地下に広大な水路があってね。

Roura: Edowaado jou tte ieba chika ni koudai suiro ga atte ne.

Laura: If we're talking about Edward Castle, it has a giant aqueduct underground.

1-iagensoukijapan328ywjhx.png

その迷宮の水路を作ったのは何をかくそうこの人なんだよテム。

Sono meikyuu no suiro o tsukutta no wa nani o kakusou kono hito nanda yo Temu.

[I'm actually not sure about this line. It looks to me like "In making that aqueduct of maze, building what, this person, what, Tim". I can see it being "In making that aqueduct of maze, this person (me) that built (that), what, Tim", but I still don't think it seems totally clear.]

1-iagensoukijapan329fnkwq.png

テム:ええっ!ほんとに?

Temu: Ee...! Honto ni?

Tim: Wha...! Really?

1-iagensoukijapan330gpj5g.png

ビル:わしはむかし建築家じゃったからな。

Biru: Washi wa mukashi kenchikuka jatta kara na.

Bill: It was because I was an architect long ago.

1-iagensoukijapan331grkvz.png

あの城の地下にはろうやがあってな。

Ano shiro no chika ni wa rouya ga atte na.

There is a jail in that castle's underground.

1-iagensoukijapan3327vjz3.png

しゅうじんがかんたんにぬけ出せないよう複雑なしくみになっておるのじゃよ。

Shuujin ga kantan ni nuke dasenai you fukuzatsu na shikumi ni natte oru no ja yo.

So that it would not be simple for prisoners to escape, it turned into a complex structure.

1-iagensoukijapan333kfkfm.png

しかしわしの作ったろうやで日々人がさばかれていくのは複雑な心境じゃな…

Shikashi washi no tsukutta hibi hito ga sabakarete iku no wa fukuzatsu na shinkyou na...

However, the complex state of mind of the people that are sent to the jail I created every day...

[He says "state of mind" here; my first thought was that he was describing his own thoughts, but I think he's vaguely pondering about the convicts' state of mind.]

1-iagensoukijapan334xpklu.png

ローラ:さて。かた苦しい話はやめてそろそろ夕ごはんにしましょ。

Roura: Sate. Kata kurushii hanashi wa yamate sorosoro yuugohan ni shimasho.

Laura: Well, with that painful story stopping, we can have dinner now.

[Don't know what "kata" is doing here; I figured that it's either that the story stopping is the method that allows them to have dinner, or that having dinner will stop the story.]

1-iagensoukijapan335syji8.png

おいしいパイをやいたからね。さあ二人とも二階でテーブルについていておくれ。

Oishii pai o yaita kara ne. Saa futari tomo nikai de teiburu ni tsuite ite okure.

I've baked a delicious pie, so. Come on both of you, we're late, so go with me to the second floor.

[I took "okure" as referring to being late, but I don't know if it's used like that. I'm also thinking that it could just be a request, like "kure", but I don't think you slap an honorific prefix on that.]

1-iagensoukijapan336tujbe.png

ビル:なあテム。近ごろローラばあさんの料理っておかしなものばかりだと思わんか?

Biru: Naa Temu. Chikagoro Roura baa san no ryouri tte okashi na mono bakari dato omowan ka?

Bill: Hey Tim. Don't you think Grandma Laura's only been cooking weird things lately?

1-iagensoukijapan337vyjm5.png

夕べはミソごはん。その前はサシミのカレーあえじゃ。食べるほうはたまらんわい…

Yuube wa miso gohan. Sono mae wa sashimi no karei ae ja.

Last night was miso rice. Before that, sashimi curry. I can't stand eating like this...

[I don't know what "ae ja" breaks down to, but I assume it's just going to be something like "was". I'm also not entirely clear if this is meant to be good or bad, but if I'm assuming it would be clearer if it was good.]

1-iagensoukijapan338mukdj.png

人は年老いてどうにもならん問題が身のまわりにあるとボケ始めると言うが、

Hito wa toshioi ite dou ni naran mi no mawari ni aru to boke hajimeru to iu ga,

They say that when people have grown old and can't help but have questions about their own lives, they've started to go senile, but,

[I'm not really sure how the "people who have grown old / have questions at their own living" and the "going senile" statements are connected.]

1-iagensoukijapan3394xkk3.png

ばあさんは何かわしらに言えないなやみをかかえとるんじゃなかろうか…

Baa san wa nanika washi ra ni ienai nayami o kakae toru n a nakarouka...

somehow your grandma probably cannot bear the troubles we can't speak of...

[I'm vaguely uncomfortable with this but I can't say for sure if I'm having trouble with something or where it is.]

1-iagensoukijapan346lhkys.png

テム:結局夕ごはんはホイップクリームのたっぷりのったミートパイだった…

Temu: Kekkyoku yuugohan wa hoippukuriemu no tappuri notta mietopai datta...

Tim: Ultimately, dinner was meat pies topped with lots of whipped cream...

1-iagensoukijapan347nrjvz.png

ボクは一切れしか食べなかったけどビルおじいちゃんはがんばって三切れも食べていた。

Boku wa hitokire shika tabenakatta kedo Biru ojiichan wa ganbatte sankire mo tabete ita.

I only ate one slice, but Grandpa Bill endured and even ate three slices.

1-iagensoukijapan3480okvp.png

そしてその夜ボクは夢を見た。カレンといっしょに世界中を旅している夢だった..

Soshite sono yoru boku wa yume o mita. Karen to issho ni sekaijuu o tabi shite iru yume datta..

Then, that night, I had a dream. A dream of going on a trip around the world with Karen..

1-iagensoukijapan3498rj54.png

そしてよく朝。たいへんな出来事が起ころうとしていた…

Soshite yokuasa. Taihen na dekigoto ga okorou to shite ita...

Then, the next morning. A terrible affair had tried to arise...

1-iagensoukijapan350urkbv.png

ローラ:おはようテム。お前にエドワード国王から手紙が届いているよ。

Roura: Ohayou Temu. Omae ni Edowaado kokuou kara tegami ga todoite iru yo.

[I'm curious what the different is between "ou" and "kokuou" as words for kings.]

1-iagensoukijapan351hgkwq.png

手紙にはこんなことが書かれていた。

Tegami ni wa kon'na koto ga kakarete ita.

In the letter was written something like this.

1-iagensoukijapan353wik56.png

オールマンの所持品である水しょうの指輪をエドワード城まで持参されたし。 / 国王エドワード

Ouruman no shojihin de aru suishou no yubiwa o Edowaado jou made jisan sareta shi. / Kokuou Edwaado

Bring the crystal ring from Allman's personal possessions to Edward Castle. / King Edward

[I don't know what the "shi" is doing here; I guess it's a particle I'm not used to seeing that can turn the passive past into a command?]

1-iagensoukijapan3550tk8e.png

ローラ:この手紙を見たときからなんだか悪い虫がさわぐんだよ。

Roura: Kono tegami o mita toki kara nandaka warui mushi ga sawagunda yo.

Laura: From the time I saw this letter, I've been ticked off somehow.

[The phrase used is something like "a bad bug makes noise", which is apparently about a bad temper.]

1-iagensoukijapan356x8k6u.png

そうだ。テム。おまじないを一つ教えておくわ。困ったときにこのメロディーをふけばきっとのりきれるからね。

Sou da. Temu. Omajinai o hitotsu oshiete oku wa. Komatta toki ni kono merodie o fukeba kitto nori kireru kara ne.

That's it. Tim. I'll teach you a good luck charm. When you're worried, if you whistle this, you can definitely get through.

1-iagensoukijapan357rfjwa.png

ローラは不思議なメロディを口ずさんだ。

Roura wa fushigi na merodi o kuchizusanda.

Laura hummed a mysterious melody.

1-iagensoukijapan358pqk3r.png

それはすてきなメロディだった。

Sore wa suteki na merodi datta.

That was a charming melody.

1-iagensoukijapan359n2jh5.png

はじめて聞いたはずなのになんだかとってもなつかしい感じがした。

Hajimete kiita hazu nano ni nandaka tottemo natsukashii kanji ga shita.

Although I must have been hearing it for the first time, somehow I was experiencing a very nostalgic feeling.

1-iagensoukijapan360djkfa.png

ローラのメロディをおぼえた!

Roura no merodi o oboeta!

You learned Laura's Melody!

1-iagensoukijapan3613sjto.png

ローラ:気をつけていくんだよ。

Roura: Ki o tsukete iku nda yo.

Laura: Go, and be careful.

1-iagensoukijapan363idjro.png

ビル:水しょうの指輪…うーむ聞いたこともないな。

Biru: Suishou no yubiwa... Uumu kiita koto mo nai na.

Bill: Crystal ring... Uhh, I don't think I've even heard of that.

1-iagensoukijapan364eqj0e.png

お前の父オールマンの残した荷物にもそんなものはなかったし…

Omae no chichi ouruman nokoshita nimotsu ni mo son'na mono wa nakatta shi...

There wasn't anything like that in the luggage your dad, Allman, left behind, either...

1-iagensoukijapan365lhk45.png

とにかくエドワード城へ行ってみたらどうじゃ?昨日のおひめ様にも会えるしの。ふぁっふぁっふぁっ。

Tonikaku Edowaado jou e itte mitara dou ja? Kinou no o hime sama ni mo aeru shi no. Faffaffa....

Anyhow, will you try to go to Edward Castle? You may be able to meet the princess from yesterday. Bwahahaha.

1-iagensoukijapan391wtk1f.png

ロブ:今日教会の勉強も休みだし..何か面白いことねえかなあ。

Robu: Kyou kyoukai no benkyou mo yasumi da shi.. Nani ka omoshiroi koto nee ka naa.

Rob: Today is a holiday from the lessons at church too.. I think there's somehow nothing interesting.

1-iagensoukijapan3983ekrj.png

えっ?エドワード国王に呼び出されて城へ行くって?じゃ気をつけていくんだよ。

E...? Edowaado kokuou ni yobi dasarete shiro e iku tte? Ja ki o tsukete iku n da yo.

Huh? You say that King Edward summoned for you to go to the castle? Well, go and take care.

1-iagensoukijapan3999vj7e.png

気をつけてな。

Ki wo tsukete na.

Take care, huh?

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Since the game's finally introduced Karen, I thought I'd comment a little on the general sound of the game and the considerations I noticed when trying to translate it.

When reading the text, I sometimes get mental voices for characters. When I read Karen's lines in particular, I tend to read them as if they're spoken in a similar voice to Iwao Junko's take on Daidouji Tomoyo from Cardcaptor Sakura:

It's not a perfect match; the character's personalities are totally different despite both being prominent "ojousama" rich girls, and Tomoyo has a quirk where she's incessantly polite regardless of the situation. But she also heavily uses the sentence ender "wa", which makes her voice very feminine. I feel that Karen does that a lot as well.

But it's not just Karen. In this game, female characters tend to use a lot of feminine pronouns, sentence enders, and grammar. On the other hand, while male characters will use masculine pronouns and sentence enders and such, they don't seem to be nearly as consistent about it. With this game, when characters use gender neutral pronouns and I don't see an obvious reason to assume that they're not men, I tend to assume that they're men for this reason, although I made some effort to avoid using gendered pronouns that the text isn't explicitly doing.

I feel like the game has kind of a feminine sound as a result, but maybe it's just because I haven't read enough and don't have a strong sense of what women tend to sound like in Japanese fiction. My first guess was that maybe this was a quality of manga made for young girls since Moto Hagio, the manga artist brought in for the characters, specializes in that area.

poeclan_v1_cover68jhl.jpg

But when I looked at Cardcaptor Sakura, it seems like they're less locked into feminine speech patterns. For example, the Daidouij Tomoyo I posted above prefers an incessantly polite gender neutral pronoun to match her general politeness.

From what I've read, in manga meant for boys like Dragonball or Yu-Gi-Oh, you often have a lot of characters who sound like tough guys, usually the heroes. At the very least, that's been the case since Ashita no Joe's notable use of the tough guy pronoun "ore" in 1968. Rob's pretty much the only one of the who talks like this in Gaia Gensouki, which is why I adjusted his spelling in the edited version to give him more of a tough guy feel. I might have gone overboard and it might be a little strange because I didn't adjust the wording, but I do feel like Rob loses something if you turn his voice into something standard.

I considered adding that to the edited version somehow; the one that I actually tried to implement was turning all those "wa" enders into exclamation marks for characters that I didn't think would normally have that sort of feminine voice. My thinking was that it would make their speech look a little more like a text message from a teenage girl, but since the "wa" isn't really used like an exclamation mark, it just ended up being really weird. I quickly gave up on that idea.

If a localization of the game really felt it was important to retain this quality, maybe they could do it by giving characters with the femine speech pattern a separate cursive font; something like that.

In fact, let's try to see the pronoun use in this game:

Boku (Young boy pronoun) - 110
Atashi (Feminine pronoun) - 89
Ore (Tough guy pronoun) - 43
Watashi (Gender neutral, polite) - 14

Last edited:

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Man I love this game.

So far, the translation doesn't seem to be that far removed from the original apart from the names but I imagine that will change once we get into the darker story material. Illusion of Gaia dealt with some pretty real shit for a game of the era but I have no doubt it was cut back.

I'm indifferent to Tim over Will, but I always unreasonably disliked the name Karen over Kara, haha. Kara fits her so much better IMO.

Chapter 4
OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
1-iagensoukijapan4001qkz8.png

Where are you heading? / Quit / Edward Castle

1-iagensoukijapan401gdkm4.png

South Cape

1-iagensoukijapan402d8jn2.png

Edward Castle

1-iagensoukijapan405qjk1a.png

Edward Castle

1-iagensoukijapan406b5jqm.png

Soldier: This is King Edward's castle. If you came to have an audience with the king, state your name.

1-iagensoukijapan4078zj1x.png

Tim showed King Edward's letter to the doormen.

1-iagensoukijapan408w2j4r.png

Soldier: You're a guest of the king? Excuse our discourtesy. Please enter.

1-iagensoukijapan409vlkay.png

This is King Edward's castle. We sincerely hope you avoid blunders, as the king is a rather strict gentleman.

1-iagensoukijapan4109oka1.png

This is King Edward's castle. If you're having an audience with the king, ascend to the second floor.

1-iagensoukijapan41291jlt.png

King Edward is having breakfast. Please come back shortly.

1-iagensoukijapan413wxk0e.png

Shh... Don't raise your voice. You're going to give away that I'm skipping work…

1-iagensoukijapan414opjv9.png

I'll give you a Red Jewel instead, so…

1-iagensoukijapan4178skla.png

Soldier: Ahead of here is the underground jail. Ordinary people can't trespass there.

1-iagensoukijapan419c7j4y.png

You're Tim, huh. Weren't you summoned to King Edward?

1-iagensoukijapan420fuj9b.png

Somehow the king is making me uncomfortable. Be careful.

1-iagensoukijapan423g3k9y.png

I-I, the thing with you is...

1-iagensoukijapan426ovjeo.png

Jeez, this guy is so darn shy...

1-iagensoukijapan4273xkyn.png

But, you know, having someone somewhere in the world that's always thinking of you…

1-iagensoukijapan43017jhj.png

Soldier: This is Her Majesty the princess' room, so strangers cannot pass.

1-iagensoukijapan431qtjsn.png

Karen: Who's that?

1-iagensoukijapan432o8jn8.png

Karen: Do I have a guest?

1-iagensoukijapan433t3j83.png

Soldier: It's somewhat dirtied commoner boy.

1-iagensoukijapan434awk81.png

Tim: It's me, Karen!

1-iagensoukijapan435nck70.png

Karen: Ah... That voice is...

1-iagensoukijapan436m8kif.png

Please let him pass. Or else I'll expose your old nickname.

1-iagensoukijapan437q9kws.png

Soldier: Eek…! F-forgive me for that! Please, go ahead.

1-iagensoukijapan438vlkty.png

I guess I'm beaten... *Grumble*...

1-iagensoukijapan4398nk0l.png

Karen: You're... from yesterday...

1-iagensoukijapan4405bjka.png

Tim: I was told to bring a Crystal Ring to King Edward, but...

1-iagensoukijapan441j8jx5.png

Karen: He's awful! Awful...! Awwwfuuul!

1-iagensoukijapan442mjjas.png

So it seems like Father's taking away the things that are important to someone else again...!

1-iagensoukijapan443jej0x.png

Even for me, you know? When I slip out of the castle for a bit, doesn't he punish me?

1-iagensoukijapan44449k9u.png

But lately the atmosphere in this castle has been a little funny.

1-iagensoukijapan4457ckr6.png

I mean, gosh, my mother even hired an assassin. I think it's pretty creepy...

1-iagensoukijapan446kekuf.png

Soldier: Your Majesty, it's about time...

1-iagensoukijapan447jok65.png

Karen: Hey Tim. I'm very anxious. Dad and Mom seem like they're different people now.

1-iagensoukijapan448xjkqd.png

I'm begging you, help me. Take me out of here somehow! Please…

1-iagensoukijapan449ujjtv.png

Soldier: Your Majesty...

1-iagensoukijapan450oyk0y.png

Karen: Please. You're definitely going to come for me, right, Tim?

1-iagensoukijapan452z8jnq.png

Alright, your business is done. Go home! Go home!

1-iagensoukijapan453h7k1s.png

Haiyah!

1-iagensoukijapan454jkj5g.png

The king hired an assassin recently. I wonder what in the world he's thinking...

1-iagensoukijapan456m2k5j.png

Ahead of here is the audience room. If you're meeting with the king, you may ascend these stairs.

1-iagensoukijapan458e0kgk.png

Soldier: It's Tim, right? We've been waiting for you. Alright, go to King Edward.

1-iagensoukijapan460y5jiv.png

Soldier: If you're here for an audience, don't loiter. Address the king instead.

1-iagensoukijapan464hik9v.png

Queen Edward: The king is the one who sent you the letter. Please speak to the person over there.

1-iagensoukijapan466uqkfi.png

King Edward: YOU'RE Tim? You're dressed rather drab, I'd think.

1-iagensoukijapan467wyktu.png

Well, let's get on with it. Did you bring the Crystal Ring? / Yes / No

1-iagensoukijapan468kfk0b.png

How dare you shamelessly say something like that...!?

1-iagensoukijapan469gejzl.png

I knew you didn't have it! Well. Soldiers! Throw him in the prison!

1-iagensoukijapan470dyj4q.png

Then go search Tim's house for the Crystal Ring!

1-iagensoukijapan471s8jl2.png

Soldier: Yes, sir! Right away!

1-iagensoukijapan472v9kzr.png

Tim: Old lady! Help me...!

1-iagensoukijapan473ytkyf.png

Queen Edward: Did you say "OLD LADY"...?!

Chapter 4 - Annotated version
OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

1-iagensoukijapan4001qkz8.png

どこへむかいまうか? / やめる / エドワード城

Doko e mukaimasu ka? / Yameru / Edowaado jou

Where are you heading? / Quit / Edward Castle

1-iagensoukijapan401gdkm4.png

サウスケープ

Sausu Keipu

South Cape

1-iagensoukijapan402d8jn2.png

エドワード城

Edowaado jou

Edward Castle

1-iagensoukijapan405qjk1a.png

エドワード城

Edowaado jou

Edward Castle

1-iagensoukijapan406b5jqm.png

兵士:ここはエドワード王の城。国王にえっけんにきたのなら名をなのられよ。

Heishi: Koko wa Edowaado ou no shiro. Kokuou ni ekken ni kita no nara na o nanorare yo.

Soldier: This is King Edward's castle. If you came to have an audience with the king, state your name.

1-iagensoukijapan4078zj1x.png

テムは門番にエドワード王の手紙を見せた。

Temu wa monban ni Edowaado ou no tegami o miseta.

Tim showed King Edward's letter to the doormen.

1-iagensoukijapan408w2j4r.png

兵士:国王のお客様でしたか。大変失礼いたしました。どうぞお入り下さい。

Heishi: Kokuou no o kyaku sama deshita ka. Taihen shitsurei ita shimashita. Douzo o iri kudasai.

Soldier: The king's honoured guest? Excuse our discourtesy. Please enter.

["Shitsurei shimasu" is just "excuse me"; they're being very polite. They excused themselves after the fact, though, which I don't think we do in English.]

1-iagensoukijapan409vlkay.png

ここはエドワード国王の城。くれぐれもそそうのないようにな。それでなくても国王はきびしいお方なんだから。

Koko wa Edowaado kokuou no shiro. Kuregure mo sosou no nai you ni na. Sore de nakute mo kokuou wa kibishii o kata nanda kara.

This is King Edward's castle. We sincerely hope you avoid blunders, as the king is a rather strict gentleman regardless.

[I'm not really sure what "kuregure mo sosou no nai you ni na" is; I took it as "sincerely hope you avoid blunders" as that seemed to make the most sense.]

1-iagensoukijapan4109oka1.png

ここはエドワード国王の城です。国王と会見するならば2階へ上がってください。

Koko wa Edowaado kokuou no shiro desu. Kokuou to kaiken suru nara ba nikai e agatte kudasai.

This is King Edward's castle. If you're having an audience with the king, ascend to the second floor.

1-iagensoukijapan41291jlt.png

エドワード国王は朝食をとられているところだ。今しばらくしてからくるがよい。

Edowaado kokuou wa choushoku o torarete iru tokoro da. Ima shibaraku shite kara kuru ga yoi.

King Edward is having breakfast. You may come back a short time from now.

1-iagensoukijapan413wxk0e.png

しっ。声をたてるなよ。さぼっているのがバレるだろっ。

Shi.... Koe o tateru na yo. Sabotte iru no ga bare ru darou....

Shh.... Don't raise your voice. You're going to give away the fact that I'm skipping work....

1-iagensoukijapan414opjv9.png

そのかわり君には赤い宝石を一つあげるから。

Sono kawari kimi ni wa akai houseki o hitotsu ageru kara.

Instead I'll give you a Red Jewel, so...

1-iagensoukijapan4178skla.png

兵士:この先は地下のろうや。一般人が立ち入る場所ではない。

Heishi: Kono saki wa chika no rouya. Ippanjin ga tachi iru basho de wa nai.

Soldier: Ahead of here is the underground jail. It isn't a place that ordinary people trespass.

1-iagensoukijapan419c7j4y.png

あなたテムさんね。エドワード国王によびだされたんでしょ?

Anata Temu san ne. Edowaado kokuou ni yobi da sareta n desho?

You're Tim, huh. Weren't you summoned to King Edward?

1-iagensoukijapan420fuj9b.png

何だか国王はいらついてるの。気をつけてね。

Nandaka kokuou wa iratsuite ru no. Ki o tsuete ne.

Somehow the king is making me uncomfortable. Be careful.

1-iagensoukijapan423g3k9y.png

ぼぼくは君のことが…

Bo boku wa kimi no koto ga...

I-I, the thing with you is...

1-iagensoukijapan426ovjeo.png

まあこの人ったらてれちゃって…

Maa kono hito ttara tere chatte...

Jeez, this friggin' person is shy...

1-iagensoukijapan4273xkyn.png

でも世界中のどこかには必ず自分を思ってくれている人がいるものなのね…。

Demo sekaijuu no dokoka ni wa hitsuzu jibun o omotte kurete iru hito ga iru mono nano ne....

But a person somewhere in the world that always thinks of you is also....

1-iagensoukijapan43017jhj.png

兵士:ここはひめさまのお部屋。見知らぬ者を通すわけにはいかん。

Heishi: Koko wa hime sama no o heya. Mishiranu mono o toosu wake ni wa ikan.

Soldier: This is Her Majesty the princess' room. Therefore, unknown people may not pass.

1-iagensoukijapan431qtjsn.png

カレン:だあれ?

Karen: Daare?

Karen: Who's that?

1-iagensoukijapan432o8jn8.png

カレン:お客さま?

Karen: O kyaku sama?

Karen: An honoured guest?

1-iagensoukijapan433t3j83.png

兵士:うすよごれた平民の少年です。

Heishi: Uso yogoreta heimin no shounen desu.

Soldier: It's somewhat dirtied commoner boy.

1-iagensoukijapan434awk81.png

テム:ぼくだよ、カレン!

Temu: Boku da yo, Karen!

Tim: It's me, Karen!

1-iagensoukijapan435nck70.png

カレン:あ…その声は…

Karen: A... Sono koe wa...

Karen: Ah... That voice is...

1-iagensoukijapan436m8kif.png

通しなさい。さもないとあんたのむかしのあだ名をバラすわよ。

Tooshi nasai. Samo nai to anta mukashi adana o barasu wa yo.

Let him pass. Or else I'll expose your old nickname.

1-iagensoukijapan437q9kws.png

兵士:うわッ。そ、それだけはごかんべんを!どうぞお通りください。

Heishi: Uwa.... Sore dake wa go kanhen o! Douzo o toori kudasai.

Soldier: Eek... F-forgive me for that! Please, go ahead.

1-iagensoukijapan438vlkty.png

まいったなぁ…ブツブツ

Maitta naa... Butsubutsu

I guess I'm beaten... *Grumble*...

1-iagensoukijapan4398nk0l.png

カレン:あなたはきのうの…

Karen: Anata wa kinou no...

Karen: You're yesterday's...

1-iagensoukijapan4405bjka.png

テム:エドワード国王に水しょうの指輪を持ってくるように言われたんだけどさ…

Tem: Edowaado kokuou ni suishou no yubiwa o motte kuru you ni iwareta n da kedo sa...

Tim: I was told to come and bring a crystal ring to King Edward, but...

1-iagensoukijapan441j8jx5.png

カレン:ひどい!ひどいっ!ひっどーいっ!

Karen: Hidoi! Hidoi..! Hiddooi...!

Karen: That's awful! Awful...! Awwwfuuul!

[I think this is in the sense that her father is doing an awful thing more than this was an unfortunate thing that happened, so I suppose I could say "he's awful".]

1-iagensoukijapan442mjjas.png

またお父様は他人の大切な物を取り上げようとしてるのねっ!

Mata o tou sama wa tanin no taisetsu na mono tori age you to shiteru no ne...!

So it seems like father's taking away someone else's important things again...!

[Karen refers to her father with very respectful language. I don't have the experience to know the implications of that, but considering how Tim feels about his father and that he doesn't do the same, I'm going to interpret it as if she feels distant from her father and her form of address emphasizes that distance.]

1-iagensoukijapan443jej0x.png

あたしもねちょっとお城をぬけだしたらおしおきでここから出してくれないのよ!

Atashi mo ne chotto o shiro nuke dashi tara oshiokide koko kara dashite kuru nai no yo!

Even me, right? When I slip out of the castle for a little aren't I given punishment?

1-iagensoukijapan44449k9u.png

でもこのところお城のふんいきがちょっとおかしいの。

Demo kono tokoro o shiro no fun'iki ga chotto okashii no.

But lately this castle's atmosphere has been a little funny.

1-iagensoukijapan4457ckr6.png

お母さまったら殺し屋までやとったのよ。うす気味悪いわ…

O kaa sama ttara koroshi ya made yatotta no yo. Usu kimiwarui wa...

Jeez, my mother went so far as to hire an assassin. I think it's a little creepy...

1-iagensoukijapan446kekuf.png

兵士:おひめさま、もうそろそろ…

Heishi: O hime sama, mou sorosoro...

Soldier: Your Majesty, it's about time...

1-iagensoukijapan447jok65.png

カレン:ねえテム。あたしとっても不安なの。父も母も人が変わったみたい。

Karen: Nee Temu. Atashi tottemo fuan na no. Chichi mo haha mo hito ga kawatta mitai.

Karen: Hey Tim. I'm very anxious. Even Dad and mom seem like different people.

1-iagensoukijapan448xjkqd.png

おねがい、わたしをたすけて。どうかここから連れだして!おねがい….

Onegai, watashi wo tasukete. Dou ka koko kara tsure dashite! Onegai...

I'm begging you, help me. Take me out of here somehow! Please....

1-iagensoukijapan449ujjtv.png

兵士:おひめさま…

Heishi: O hime sama...

Soldier: Your Majesty...

1-iagensoukijapan450oyk0y.png

カレン:おねがい、きっときてね、テム。

Karen: Onegai, kitto kite ne, Temu.

Karen: Please. You're definitely coming, right, Tim?

1-iagensoukijapan452z8jnq.png

さあ用がすんだら帰った帰った!

Saa you ga sundara kaetta kaetta!

Alright, your business is done. Go home! Go home!

1-iagensoukijapan453h7k1s.png

それっ!

Sore...!

Haiyah!

1-iagensoukijapan454jkj5g.png

近ごろ殺し屋がやとわれたの。国王はいったい何を考えているのかしら…

Kingoro koroshi yatowareta no. Kokuou wa ittai nani o kangaete iru no kashira...

An assassin was hired recently. I wonder what in the world the king is thinking...

1-iagensoukijapan456m2k5j.png

この先はえっけん室。国王に会見するならこの階段を登るがよい。

Kono saki wa ekken shitsu. Kokuou ni kaiken suru nara kono kaiden o noboru ga yoi.

Ahead of here is the audience room. If you're meeting with the king, you may ascend these stairs.

1-iagensoukijapan458e0kgk.png

兵士:テムさんですね。お待ちしておりました。さあエドワード国王のところへ。

Heishi: Temu san desu ne. O machi shite orimashita. Saa Edowaado kokuou no tokoro he.

Soldier: It's Tim, right? We've been waiting for you. Alright, go to King Edward.

1-iagensoukijapan460y5jiv.png

兵士:会見ならばうろうろせずに国王に話しかけよ。

Heishi: Kaiken nara ba urouro sezu ni kokuou ni hanashi kake yo.

Soldier: If you're here for an audience, address the king instead of loitering.

1-iagensoukijapan464hik9v.png

エドワード王后:あなたに手紙を送ったのは国王よ。あの人に話しかけてちょうだい。

Edowaado oukou: Anata ni tegami o okutta no wa kokuou yo. Ano hito ni hanashi kakete choudai.

Queen Edward: The one who sent you the letter is the king. Please speak to the person over there.

[I suddenly realize that I'm not 100% sure if Edward is the king's personal name or the name of the state. It sounds like a personal name, but it's attached to everything.]

1-iagensoukijapan466uqkfi.png

エドワード国王:お前がテムと申すか?さえない身なりをしておるな。

Edowaado kokuou: Omae ga Temu to mousu ka? Saenai mi nari o shite oru na. Saenai minari o shiteoru na.

King Edward: It's you that's the one called Tim? You're dressed rather drab, I think.

[This is the same way Karen describes Tim initially.]

1-iagensoukijapan467wyktu.png

さてさっそくだが水しょうの指輪はもってきたか? / はい / いいえ

Sate sassoku daga suishou no yubiwa wa motte kita ka? / Hai / Iie

Well, let's get on with it. Did you bring the Crystal Ring? / Yes / No

1-iagensoukijapan468kfk0b.png

よくもまあぬけぬけとそんなことが言えたものだなっ!!

Yokumo maa nukenuke to son'na koto ga ieta mono da na...!!

How dare you shamelessly say that kind of thing...!?

1-iagensoukijapan469gejzl.png

まあそんなことだろうと思ったわ!さあ。兵士ども!こいつをろうやへブチこめえっ!

Maa son'na koto darou to omotta wa! Saa. Heishi domo! Koitsu o rouya e buchi komee...!

Now that they think thought that? Well. Soldiers! Throw him in the prison!

1-iagensoukijapan470dyj4q.png

そしてテムの家へゆき指輪をさがしだすのじゃ!

Soshite Temu no ie e yuki yubiwa o sagashi dasu no ja!

Then go search Tim's house for the Crystal Ring!

1-iagensoukijapan471s8jl2.png

兵士:はっ!ただいま!

Heishi: Ha...! Tada ima!

Soldier: Yes, sir! Right away!

1-iagensoukijapan472v9kzr.png

テム:おばさん!たすけてっ!

Temu: Oba san! Tasukete...!

Tim: Old lady! Help me...!

1-iagensoukijapan473ytkyf.png

エドワード王后:オバサンですってっ?!!!

Edowaado oukou: Oba san desu tte...?!!!

Queen Edward: Did you say "OLD LADY"...?!!!

[I remember being confused by this in the localization because he calls her "ma'am", which I don't hear a lot and I took as polite. He actually calls her "aunt". It's common in Japanese to refer to strangers as if they're family members, so this is probably how Tim talks to women her age in town. The problem might have been that he was being overly familiar, but I think it's just that the queen is insulted at being seen as old enough to be an "auntie" instead of "big sis". The game even writes the word out differently for emphasis.]

Chapter 5
OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
1-iagensoukijapan475vnkyp.png

Edward Castle prison

1-iagensoukijapan4776xjc5.png

Tim: If I wasn't seeing it with my own eyes, I probably wouldn't believe it.

1-iagensoukijapan478v0kbz.png

I wonder what will become of me now.

1-iagensoukijapan479l4j0w.png

Anyhow, if I don't think of a way out of here...

1-iagensoukijapan480yvkkl.png

Tim: I guess someone was probably chained to this iron ball...

1-iagensoukijapan481yjjk7.png

Tim: This moss must have seen countless prisoners...

1-iagensoukijapan482tfk84.png

They might have gotten moral support from living with this moss too...

1-iagensoukijapan4857ajgc.png

Tim: There's a lock here...

1-iagensoukijapan488i2jps.png

A soldier's deep voice echoes from a hole opened in the ceiling.

1-iagensoukijapan489dnjzx.png

This is today's ration of bread. I guess that even moss drinks water.

1-iagensoukijapan490axj48.png

Tim tried to nibble a bit of the bread.

1-iagensoukijapan491oyjzx.png

It had become hard; it was the worst thing I had ever tasted until then.

1-iagensoukijapan492tkjbp.png

I sorely missed Grandma Laura's pies for some reason...

1-iagensoukijapan493uikto.png

Time flowed damningly slow; one long, long day ended.

1-iagensoukijapan494cbj9q.png

To a painful degree, I had come to understand that a prisoner has no emotional outlet….

1-iagensoukijapan495jnjnc.png

At that time, still trying to find a way to escape, I fell into a light sleep.

1-iagensoukijapan496ssk26.png

From my flute, a voice I had longed to hear echoed through the silence that had filled my ears...

1-iagensoukijapan497kdk21.png

Flute: Tim…

1-iagensoukijapan498moj4z.png

Flute: Tim, this is your father.

1-iagensoukijapan499dykku.png

Tim: Dad...?

1-iagensoukijapan500itk1j.png

Flute: I guess you're all grown up. Although you were a cute lad.

1-iagensoukijapan50136kvr.png

Are Grandma Laura's pies delicious?

1-iagensoukijapan502nzkkr.png

Tim: Dad! Where are you?!

1-iagensoukijapan503d5kux.png

Flute: I can't tell you that now...

1-iagensoukijapan5047hj8c.png

I have something to ask of you. Will you listen to it for me? / Yes, since it's you, Dad / No, you abandoned me!

1-iagensoukijapan505lmjzw.png

Flute: I want you to come to help me somehow…

1-iagensoukijapan5066hjj9.png

I was also a prisoner here earlier. Hey, please look at the wall on the left side.

1-iagensoukijapan5079mji7.png

Tim: ...What's this?

1-iagensoukijapan50876kjg.png

Flute: Did you not hear something from Grandpa Bill?

1-iagensoukijapan509yxjkh.png

Tim: My grandpa? He was an architect, right..?

1-iagensoukijapan510jrklp.png

Flute: Your grandpa, he knew the secret of those stones.

1-iagensoukijapan511b7j3x.png

Tim: The stones' secret...?

1-iagensoukijapan51289jei.png

Flute: The situations that you're going to face from now on are going on be a little bit scary.

1-iagensoukijapan513onkkw.png

Tim: Scary situations...?

1-iagensoukijapan514crkz1.png

Flute: Pick up the stones left by the enemies. The power of the comet is contained in them.

1-iagensoukijapan515jykl8.png

That power will definitely be your ally...

1-iagensoukijapan51644j2h.png

Then, search for the puppets called "Mystery Dolls" which are hidden in the ruins spread around the world.

1-iagensoukijapan5171vk1i.png

The demons will become more powerful as the comet becomes closer…

1-iagensoukijapan518kak9g.png

Tim... There's no time... So hurry... First, to the Inca's ruins...

1-iagensoukijapan519lmjhx.png

Sadly, the flute's voice gradually become quiet until it could no longer be heard.

1-iagensoukijapan521fajid.png

Tim: If my memory is right, this pig is Karen's pet...

1-iagensoukijapan522gcjuf.png

Oh? A letter and key are tied in a bundle at its tail...

1-iagensoukijapan523rmjbw.png

These were the contents of the letter.

1-iagensoukijapan524ndjd4.png

"It surprised me that you were placed in the prison.

1-iagensoukijapan525axjix.png

Father's gotten angry, but he doesn't listen, whatever I say…

1-iagensoukijapan526v3jtb.png

I can't stand being here anymore... Tonight, I will escape the castle.

1-iagensoukijapan527h8jdh.png

And from that, you will also be freed..."

1-iagensoukijapan5280uk7e.png

Got the jail key!

1-iagensoukijapan5298yk70.png

Medicinal Herb / Can restore health.

1-iagensoukijapan530xvj4y.png

When you inserted the key to the jail, the gate opened with a dull sound.

1-iagensoukijapan532hekcn.png

I won't accept anyone's help. I'll show you that I can get out by my own power...

1-iagensoukijapan535t8jts.png

I am the fountainhead of life, Gaia. I think that I shall bestow upon thee one suggestion.

1-iagensoukijapan5362bk4e.png

When thou defeat all of the enemies in a set area, jewels that will increase thy abilities will appear. Thou willst become stronger with them.

1-iagensoukijapan537i5ks2.png

If thou press the start button, thou shouldst divine the location of the enemy. Use it when thou art searching for demons that remain undefeated...

1-iagensoukijapan542n1k4z.png

HP (health) increases!

1-iagensoukijapan54311kuw.png

Tim: Ah, that's right... I think when I defeat all of the enemies in the area I'm in, these jewels appear...

1-iagensoukijapan544r3kk5.png

Underground aqueduct

2-iagensoukijapan004sojjh.png

STR (power) rose!

2-iagensoukijapan005c9je6.png

That hurts...! What are you doing...!

2-iagensoukijapan00786kak.png

Hurry, come this way...! You won't be hurt by the demons...!

2-iagensoukijapan008i1k2t.png

Found a Medicinal Herb!

2-iagensoukijapan009clkwe.png

FORCE / ENEMY / ITEM

2-iagensoukijapan010y1k7s.png

DEF (protection) rose!

2-iagensoukijapan0114zj38.png

I can't press it down very much...! It looks like it's rusted...

2-iagensoukijapan012ygj6k.png

A glittering silver ball of darkness that appears when enemies are defeated.

2-iagensoukijapan013ofj5f.png

If you collect 100 of them, your Source of Life will increase by one...

2-iagensoukijapan014bnjmg.png

Even if you are defeated by an enemy, you won't be sent very far...

2-iagensoukijapan016aykzl.png

Blooming flower in the corner: Please play your flute... Please play that melody...

2-iagensoukijapan025gyjvv.png

Raised the Red Jewel!

2-iagensoukijapan026f0kdu.png

The Red Jewel became a ray of light and flew to Gem, the jewel merchant's, location!

2-iagensoukijapan0274cj29.png

Laura's Melody / The melody taught to you by Laura.

2-iagensoukijapan028wrj2m.png

Quietly started playing the melody that Laura had taught.

2-iagensoukijapan0293ej0q.png

When it was done, a voice could suddenly be heard from somewhere...

2-iagensoukijapan030rvjog.png

Mysterious voice: Please go in front of the switch on the right side of the room.

2-iagensoukijapan032u9jib.png

Mysterious voice: The door won't open unless two people hit this switch at the same time.

2-iagensoukijapan033qkkeg.png

Match the timing with my count and push the switch.

2-iagensoukijapan034bfjcn.png

The timing will be 1-2-3, alright? Don't get it wrong.

9-iagensoukijapan0000fkdo.png

Hold on! Didn't I say we have to press them simultaneously?

2-iagensoukijapan03508jxw.png

Alright! The door opened...!

2-iagensoukijapan036dpjwq.png

Okay, go on ahead!

2-iagensoukijapan038rlk59.png

Thy form is a temporary one. Thou shouldst try standing in front of the statue that is standing beside me.

2-iagensoukijapan043n0jm8.png

A voice echoed inside of Tim's head.

2-iagensoukijapan044tdk5h.png

O Tim. I have long been laying in wait for this time to come.

2-iagensoukijapan0459gkei.png

My name is Friedan. I am something that exists beyond time.

2-iagensoukijapan047kejp2.png

From here on, I intend to assist on your journey. When the time for me has come, then by nature, you will know it ...

2-iagensoukijapan048n2kmo.png

Tim's consciousness gradually receded...

2-iagensoukijapan050iej6a.png

This is Friedan's status. / An explanation of the selected Power of Darkness will be displayed with the confirm button.

2-iagensoukijapan051jujh6.png

Found a Red Jewel!

2-iagensoukijapan05311je5.png

The presence of enemies disappeared; Tim's transformation is cleared away...

2-iagensoukijapan0555yjdd.png

Girl: I saaaw you! But you surprised me! You're a person that can transform like me, huh.

2-iagensoukijapan056m1jud.png

I'm Lillie. I'm a girl from the Itory clan, which is protected by flower fairies.

2-iagensoukijapan0575djva.png

Why do you know the melody that nobody but us has heard?

2-iagensoukijapan058smka9.png

Tim: I learned it from Grandma Laura. I play it when I'm really worried.

2-iagensoukijapan059cajc0.png

Lillie: I had been treated to Grandma Laura's terrible tasting pies.

2-iagensoukijapan060nzkyj.png

Tim: You know my Grandma!?

2-iagensoukijapan061a6jey.png

Lillie: Hehe... The truth is, Laura requested that I come save you!

2-iagensoukijapan062xlkn2.png

Lillie: Ah... The Elder is calling... I have to go.

2-iagensoukijapan063svksp.png

Lillie: We'll definitely meet again later. See you, Tim!

Last edited:
Chapter 5 - Annotated version
OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

1-iagensoukijapan475vnkyp.png

エドワード城ろうや

Edowaado jou rouya

Edward Castle prison

1-iagensoukijapan4776xjc5.png

テム:なぜぼくはこんな目に会わなければならないのだろう。

Temu: Naze boku wa kon'na me ni awana kereba nara nai no darou.

Tim: If I didn't see how I met this sight, I probably couldn't.

[I can't make heads or tails of this one. Is it a lamentation?]

1-iagensoukijapan478v0kbz.png

そしてぼくはこれからどうなってしまうのだろう。

Soshite boku wa kore kara dou natte shimau no darou.

Then, I wonder what will become of me from here.

[This line seems a little flowery, so I'm not totally sure about it.]

1-iagensoukijapan479l4j0w.png

とにかくここからぬけ出す方法を考えなくては…。

Tonikaku koko kara nuke dasu houhou o kangaenakute wa...

Anyhow, unless I think of a way out of here...

1-iagensoukijapan480yvkkl.png

テム:この鉄球にはだれかがつながれていたんだろうな…

Temu: Kono tekkyuu ni wa dare ka ga tsunagarete ita n darou na...

Tim: I guess someone was probably chained to this iron ball...

1-iagensoukijapan481yjjk7.png

テム:このコケは数え切れないほどのしゅうじんたちを見てきたんだろうな…

Temu: Kono koke wa kazoe kirenai hodo no juujintachi o mite kita n darou na...

Tim: This moss must have seen countless prisoners...

1-iagensoukijapan482tfk84.png

彼らもこのコケを心のささえにしてくらしていたのかもしれない…

Kare ra mo kono koke o kokoro no sasae ni shite kurai shite ita no kamoshirenai...

They might also have gotten moral support from living with this moss...

[The end result of this makes sense to me, but I'm not sure that this is actually what the sentence builds to.]

1-iagensoukijapan4857ajgc.png

テム:カギがかかっている…

Temu: Kagi ga kakatte iru...

Tim: A lock is hanging here...

1-iagensoukijapan488i2jps.png

天井にあいた穴から兵士の低い声がひびく。

Tenjou ni aita ana kara heishi no hikui koe ga hibiku.

A soldier's low voice echoes from a hole opened in the ceiling.

1-iagensoukijapan489dnjzx.png

今日の配給のパンだ。水はコケでもすするんだな。

Kyou no haikyuu no pan da. Mizu wa koke demo susuru n da na.

This is today's ration of bread. Even moss guzzles water, huh.

1-iagensoukijapan490axj48.png

テムはパンをちょっぴりかじってみた。

Temu wa pan o choppiri kajitte mita.

Tim tried to nibble a bit of the bread.

1-iagensoukijapan491oyjzx.png

それはカチカチにかたまっていて今まで食べたどんな食べ物よりもおいしくなかった。

Sore wa kachikachi ni katamatte ite ima made tabeta don'na tabemono yori mo oishikunatta.

It had become hard; he hadn't had anything that tasted worse until now.

1-iagensoukijapan492tkjbp.png

ローラおばあちゃんのパイがなぜかひどくなつかしく感じられた…

Roura obaa chan no pai ga naze ka hidoku natsukashiku kanjirareta...

For some reason, he badly missed Grandma Laura's pies...

1-iagensoukijapan493uikto.png

時がゆっくりと流れてゆきやがて長い長い一日が終った。

Toki ga yukkuri to nagarete yuki yagate nagai nagai ichinichi ga owatta.

Time flowed damningly slow; one long, long day ended.

1-iagensoukijapan494cbj9q.png

しゅうじんのやり場のない気持ちが痛いほどわかってしまう…。

Shuujin no yari ba no nai kimochi ga itai hodo wakatte shimau....

To a painful degree, I had come to understand the feeling that the prisoner has no emotional outlet….

1-iagensoukijapan495jnjnc.png

ここをぬけだす方法も見つからぬままぼくは浅いねむりについた。

Koko o nuke dasu houhou mo mitsu kara nu mama boku wa asai nemuri ni tsuita.

At that time, still trying to find a way to escape, I fell into a light sleep.

1-iagensoukijapan496ssk26.png

うつろな耳に笛からなつかしい声がひびく…

Utsuro na mimi ni fue kara natsukashii koe ga hibiku...

From my flute, a voice I had missed echoed into my empty ear...

[My first thought was that "hollow ear" might have a sense of emotional disconnect, like as psychological defense mechanism. Later, it occurred to me that it could be totally straightforward, like it's just pointing out that there's no sound hitting his ears.]

1-iagensoukijapan497kdk21.png

笛:テム…。

Fue: Temu....

Flute: Tim....

1-iagensoukijapan498moj4z.png

笛:わたしはおまえの父だ、テム。

Fue: Watashi wa omae no chichi da, Temu.

Flute: I'm your father, Tim.

1-iagensoukijapan499dykku.png

テム:父さん…?

Temu: Tou san...?

Tim: Dad...?

1-iagensoukijapan500itk1j.png

笛:大きくなったなあかわいいぼうずだったのに。

Fue: Ookiku natta naa kawaii ibouzu datta noni.

Flute: I guess you've grown up. Even though you were a cute lad.

1-iagensoukijapan50136kvr.png

ローラおばあちゃんのパイはおいしいかい?

Roura obaa chan no pai wa oishii kai?

Are Grandma Laura's pies delicious?

1-iagensoukijapan502nzkkr.png

テム:父さん!どこにいるの?!

Temu: Tou san! Doko ni iru no?!

Tim: Dad! Where are you?!

1-iagensoukijapan503d5kux.png

笛:今は言えない…

Fue: Ima wa ienai...

Flute: I can't say that now...

1-iagensoukijapan5047hj8c.png

おまえに一つたのみがある。聞いてくれるか? / はい、お父さんのたのみなら / いやだ、ボクを見すてたくせに!

Omae ni hitotsu no miga aru. Kiite kure ru ka? / Hai, o tou an no tanomi nara / Iya da, boku o misuteta kuseni!

I have a request for you. Will you listen to it for me? / Yes, since it's Dad's request / No, you abandoned me!

[Not totally sure what "kuseni" is doing here.]

1-iagensoukijapan505lmjzw.png

笛:どうか、お父さんを手助けにきてほしい…。

Fue: Dou ka, o tou san o tedasuke ni kite hoshii....

Flute: Somehow, I want you to come to help your father....

[I feel a little weird about this, but I'm not sure if I got anything wrong. Specifically I feel like it should be that Tim's father wants to help but I don't think that's what I'm seeing.]

1-iagensoukijapan5066hjj9.png

わたしもまえにこのろうやにつながれていたことがあるのだ。ほら左がわのカベを見なさい。

Watashi mo mae ni kono rouya ni tsunagarete ita koto ga aru no da. Hora migi gawa no chikarabe o mi nasai.

I was also being held in this prison earlier. Hey, please look at the wall on the left side.

1-iagensoukijapan5079mji7.png

テム:…これは?

Temu: ...Kore wa?

Tim: ...What's this?

1-iagensoukijapan50876kjg.png

笛:ビルおじいちゃんからなにか聞いてないかい?

Fue: Biru ojii chan kara nani ka kiite nai kai?

Flute: Did you not hear something from Grandpa Bill?

1-iagensoukijapan509yxjkh.png

テム:おじいちゃん?建築家だったんでしょ?..

Temu: Ojii chan? Kenchikuka datta n desho?..

Tim: My grandpa? He was an architect, right..?

1-iagensoukijapan510jrklp.png

笛:おじいちゃんはね、その石の秘密を知っているのだ。

Fue: Ojii chan wa ne, sono ishi no himitsu o shitte iru no da.

Flute: Your grandpa, he knew that stone's secret.

1-iagensoukijapan511b7j3x.png

テム:石のひみつ…?

Temu: Ishi no himitsu...?

Tim: The stone's secret...?

[This spells out the word phonetically, so maybe it's for kids who didn't know the meaning?]

1-iagensoukijapan51289jei.png

笛:おまえはこれから少しだけこわい目にあうことになるよ。

Fue: Omae wa kore kara sukushi dake kowai me ni au koto ni naru yo.

Flute: The things you'll see are going to become only a little scary from now on.

1-iagensoukijapan513onkkw.png

テム:こわいこと…?

Temu: Kowai koto...?

Tim: Scary things...?

1-iagensoukijapan514crkz1.png

笛:敵が残した石を拾いなさい。そこにはすい星のちからがふくまれている。

Fue: Teki ga nokoshita ishi o hiroi nasai. Soko ni wa suisei no chikara ga fukumarete iru.

Flute: Pick up the stones left by the enemies. The power of the comet is contained there.

1-iagensoukijapan515jykl8.png

そのちからはきっとおまえに味方するだろう…

Sono chikara wa kitto omae ni mikata suru darou...

That power will definitely be an ally to you...

1-iagensoukijapan51644j2h.png

そして世界中の遺跡をめぐりミステリードールとよばれる人形をさがしなさい。

Soshite sekaijuu no iseki o meguri misuteriidouru to yobareru ningyou o sagashi nasai.

Then, search for the puppets called "Mystery Dolls" which are spread in ruins around the world.

1-iagensoukijapan5171vk1i.png

すい星が近くなればなるほどまものの力は強くなる…

Suisei ga chikaku nareba naru hodo mamono no chikara tsuyoku naru...

The demons' power will become stronger based on how close the comet has become...

1-iagensoukijapan518kak9g.png

テム…時間がない…急ぐのだ…まずはインカの遺跡へ…

Temu... Jikan ga nai... Isogu no da... Mazu wa inka no iseki e...

Tim... There's no time... So hurry... First, to the Inca's ruins...

1-iagensoukijapan519lmjhx.png

笛の声はだんだん小さくなりやがて聞こえなくなった。

Fue no koe wa dandan chisaku nari yagate kikoe naku natta.

Unfortunately, the flute's voice gradually become quiet; it became inaudible.

1-iagensoukijapan521fajid.png

テム:このブタはたしかカレンのペットだっけ…

Temu: Kono buta wa tashika Karen no petto dakke...

Tim: If my memory is right, this pig is Karen's pet...

1-iagensoukijapan522gcjuf.png

おや?しっぽに手紙とカギがくくりつけてある…。

Oya? Shippo ni tegami to kagi ga kukuri tsukete aru....

Oh? A letter and key are tied in a bundle at its tail...

1-iagensoukijapan523rmjbw.png

手紙はこんな内容だった。

Tegami wa kon'na nairyou datta.

These were the contents of the letter.

1-iagensoukijapan524ndjd4.png

「テムがろうやに入れられたって聞いてビックリしちゃった。

"Temu ga rouya ni irerareta tte kiite bikkuri shichatta.

"I was surprised when I heard that Tim was placed into the prison.

1-iagensoukijapan525axjix.png

お父様にくってかかったけどあたしの言うことなんかちっとも聞いてくれないの…。

O tou sama ni kutte kakatta kedo atashi no iu koto nanka chittomo kiite kure nai no....

Father's gotten angry, but he doesn't listen, whatever I say....

1-iagensoukijapan526v3jtb.png

あたしもうこんなところにいるのはいやっ。今夜城をぬけ出すことにする。

Atashi mou kon'na tokoro ni iru no wa iya.... Konya shiro o nuke dasu koto ni suru.

I already can't stand being in this place.... Tonight, I will escape the castle.

1-iagensoukijapan527h8jdh.png

テムもこれで自由になってねっ。」

Temu mo kore de jiyuu ni natte ne...."

Tim will also become free by this...."

[I think the "this" means her escape, although I guess it could be the key.]

1-iagensoukijapan5280uk7e.png

ろうごくのカギを手に入れた!

Rougoku no kagi o te ni ireta!

Got the jail key!

1-iagensoukijapan5298yk70.png

やくそう / たいりょくをかいふくできる。

Yakusou / Tairyoku o kaifuku dekiru.

Medicinal Herb / Can restore stamina.

1-iagensoukijapan530xvj4y.png

ろうごくのカギをさしこむとにぶい音とともに鉄のとびらが開いていった。

Rougoku no kagi o sashikomu to nibui oto to tomo ni tetsu no tobira ga hiraite itta.

When the key to the jail was inserted, the gate opened with a dull sound.

1-iagensoukijapan532hekcn.png

私は人の手助けは受けん。自分の力で出てみせる…

Watashi wa hito no tedasuke wa uken. Jibun no chikara de dete miseru...

I'm not taking anyone's help. I'll show you that I can get out by my own power...

1-iagensoukijapan535t8jts.png

私は生命のみなもとガイア。そなたにひとつ助言をあたえようと思う。

Watashi wa seimei no minamoto Gaia. Sonata ni hitotsu jogen o atae you to omou.

I am the fountainhead of life, Gaia. I think that I will bestow upon thou one suggestion.

1-iagensoukijapan5362bk4e.png

一定地域の敵をすべてたおすと能力の上がる宝石があらわれる。そなたはそれで強くなってゆく。

Ittei chiiki no teki o subete taosu to nouryoku no agaru houseki ga arawareru. Sonata wa sore de tsuyoku natte yuku.

When you defeat all enemies in a fixed area, a jewel that will increase your abilities will appear. Thou will go and become strong with that.

1-iagensoukijapan537i5ks2.png

敵の場所はスタートポタンをおせばわかるはず。まものはさがしだしてでも残さずたおしてゆくことだ…

Teki no basho wa sutaato botan o ose ba wakaru hazu. Mamono wa sagashi dashite demo nokosa zu taoshite yuku koto da...

If you press the start button, you should realize the location of the enemy. Use it when you go out searching for demons but some remain undefeated...

[Not sure I got the last part entirely right, but it seems to be something along those lines.]

1-iagensoukijapan542n1k4z.png

HP(体力)が上がった!

HP (tairyoku) ga agatta!

HP (stamina) increases!

1-iagensoukijapan54311kuw.png

テム:そうか…自分のいる地域の敵を全部たおすとこの宝石があらわれるんだな…

Temu: Sou ka... Jibun no iru chiiki no teki o zenbu taosu to kono houseki ga arawareru n da na...

Tim: Ah, that's right... I think when I defeat all of the enemies in the area I'm in, this jewel appears...

1-iagensoukijapan544r3kk5.png

地下水路

Chika suiro

Underground aqueduct

2-iagensoukijapan004sojjh.png

STR(力の強さ)が上がった!

STR (Chikara no tsuyosa) ga agatta!

STR (power's strength) rose!

2-iagensoukijapan005c9je6.png

いたいっ!何するのよっ!!

Itai...! Nani suru no yo...!

That hurts...! What are you doing...!

2-iagensoukijapan00786kak.png

早くこっちに来なさいよっ!まものにやられちゃうじゃないっ!

Hayaku kocchi ki nasai yo...! Mamono ni yarare chau ja nai...!

[I'm really not sure what the verb in the latter sentence is. I took it as "won't get hurt", but maybe it's something else?]

2-iagensoukijapan008i1k2t.png

薬草を見つけた!

Yakusou o mitsuketa!

Found a Medicinal Herb!

2-iagensoukijapan009clkwe.png

FORCE / ENEMY / ITEM

FORCE / ENEMY / ITEM

FORCE / ENEMY / ITEM

2-iagensoukijapan010y1k7s.png

DEF(守りの強さ)が上がった!

DEF (Mamori no tsuyosa) ga agatta!

DEF (protection's strength) rose!

2-iagensoukijapan0114zj38.png

かたくておしこめないっ!さびついているようだな…

Katakute oshi komenai...! Sabitsuite iru you da na...

I can't push it firmly...! I think it looks like it's rusted...

2-iagensoukijapan012ygj6k.png

敵をたおしたときにあらわれる銀色にきらめくヤミの玉。

Teki o taoshita toki ni arawareru gin'iro ni kirameku yami no tama.

A glittering silver ball of darkness that appears when enemies are defeated.

2-iagensoukijapan013ofj5f.png

これを100コ集めればいのちのもとが一つふえる…

Kore o hyakko atsumere ba inochi no moto ga hitotsu fueru...

If you collect 100 of these, the source of life will increase by one...

2-iagensoukijapan014bnjmg.png

たとえ敵にやられても遠くはなれた場所までもどることはなくなるのだ…

Tatoe teki ni yararetemo tooku wa nareta basho made ,odoru koto wa naku naru no da...

Even if you are defeated by an enemy, you won't be returned to a distant place...

[This one was particularly difficult for me to parse; I think I got the gist, especially since it's pretty obviously referring to the extra life mechanic, but I'm not sure I broke it down correctly.]

2-iagensoukijapan016aykzl.png

片すみにさく花:笛をふいてごらん…あのメロディをふいてごらん…

Katasumi ni saku hana: Fue o fuit goran... Ano merodi o fuite goran...

Blooming flower in the corner: Please play your flute... Please play that melody...

2-iagensoukijapan025gyjvv.png

赤い宝石をかかげた!

Akai houseki o kakageta!

Raised the Red Jewel!

2-iagensoukijapan026f0kdu.png

赤い宝石は宝石商ジェムのところへ一すじの光となって飛んでいった!

Akai houseki wa housekishou Jemu no tokoro e hitosuji no hikari to natte tonde itta!

The Red Jewel became a ray of light and flew to Gem's, the jewel merchant's, location!

2-iagensoukijapan0274cj29.png

ローラのメロディ / ローラがおしえてくれたメロディ。

Roura no merodi / Roura ga oshiete kureta merodi.

Laura's Melody / The melody taught to you by Laura.

2-iagensoukijapan028wrj2m.png

ローラから教わったメロディーを静かにふきはじめた。

Roura kara oshiwatta merodie o shizuka ni fuki hajimeta.

Quietly started playing the melody learned from Laura.

2-iagensoukijapan0293ej0q.png

するとどこからともなく声が聞こえてきた…

Suruto doko kara tomo naku koe ga kikoete kita...

When it was done, a voice was suddenly audible from somewhere...

2-iagensoukijapan030rvjog.png

不思議な声:右側にあるスイッチの前へいってちょうだい。

Fushigi na koe: Migigawa ni aru suicchi no mae e itte choudai.

Mysterious voice: Please go in front of the switch on the right side.

2-iagensoukijapan032u9jib.png

不思議な声:このスイッチはね2つ同時におさないとトビラが開かないの。

Fushigi na koe: Kono suicchi wa ne futatsu douji ni osanai to tobira ga hirakanai no.

Mysterious voice: If two people don't hit this switch at the same time, the door won't open.

2-iagensoukijapan033qkkeg.png

あたしがかけ声をかけるからそれにあわせてスイッチをおしてね。

Atashi ga kake koe o kakeru kara sore ni awasete suicchi o oshite ne.

Match the timing from my count and push the switch.

[This person generally has a feminine speech style, but it's most clear here.]

2-iagensoukijapan034bfjcn.png

123のタイミングだからね。まちがえないでね。

1 2 3 no taimingu dakara ne. Machigaenai de ne.

The timing will be 1-2-3, right. Don't get it wrong.

9-iagensoukijapan0000fkdo.png

ちょっとぉ!同時におさなきゃダメだって言ったでしょ!

Chottoo! Douji ni osana kya dame datte itta desho!

Hold on! I said we have to press them simultaneously, right!

2-iagensoukijapan03508jxw.png

やったぁ!トビラが開いたわよっ!

Yattaa! Tobira ga hiraita wa yo...!

Alright! The door opened...!

2-iagensoukijapan036dpjwq.png

さあ先へ行って!

Sa saki e itte!

Okay, go on ahead!

2-iagensoukijapan038rlk59.png

そなたの姿はかりの姿。となりにたたずむ石像の前に立ってみるがいい。

Sonata no sugata wa kari no sugata. Tonari ni tatazumu sekizou no mae ni miru ga ii.

Thy form is a temporary form. You should try standing in front of the statue that is standing next to me.

2-iagensoukijapan043n0jm8.png

テムの頭の中で、声がこだまする。

Temu no atama no naka de, koe ga kodama suru.

A voice echoed inside of Tim's head.

2-iagensoukijapan044tdk5h.png

テムよ。私はこの時がくるのをずっと待ち続けていた。

Temu yo. Watashi wa kono toki ga kuru no o zutto machi tsuzukete ita.

Tim. I have long been laying in wait for this time to come.

2-iagensoukijapan0459gkei.png

私の名はフリーダン。時をこえて生き続けるもの。

Watashi no na wa Furiidan. Toki o koete iki tsuzukeru mono.

[This didn't occur to me until I was nearly done the translation, but Friedan's an actual name, so I went with it. I could be reading too much into it but I feel that his name, which is clearly Germanic rather than English like the ones we've seen so far, is meant to highlight that Friedan is from the Middle Ages rather than the early modern period Tim's from. The second part seems weird to me, I think because I'm thinking about time the wrong way, so I had to interpret it. Maybe it instead means that the time he lived in has passed?]

2-iagensoukijapan047kejp2.png

今後テムの旅を手助けさせてもらうつもりだ。私のことは時がくれば自然とわかるであろう…

Kongo Temu no tabi o tedasuke sasete morau tsumori da. Watashi no koto wa toki ga kure ba shizen to wakaru de arou...

From here on, I intend to assist Tim's journey. When the time for me has come, you will know it naturally...

2-iagensoukijapan048n2kmo.png

やがてテムの意識はだんだん遠のいていった…

Yagate Temu no ishiki wa dandan too no ite itta...

Soon, Tim's consciousness gradually receded...

2-iagensoukijapan050iej6a.png

フリーダンのじょうたいです / けっていボタンでヤミのちからのせつめいがひょうじされます

Furiidan no joutai desu / Kettei botan de yami no chikara no setsumei ga hyouji saremasu

This is Friedan's status. / With the decision button, the Power of Darkness' explanation will be displayed.

2-iagensoukijapan051jujh6.png

赤い宝石をみつけた!

Akai houseki o mitsuketa!

Found a Red Jewel!

2-iagensoukijapan05311je5.png

敵の気配が消えテムの変身が解けてゆく…

Teki no kehai ga kie Temu no henshin ga tokete yuku...

The presence of enemies disappeared; Tim's transformation is cleared away...

2-iagensoukijapan0555yjdd.png

少女:見ーちゃった!しかしおっどろいた!あたしみたいに変身できる人がいるんだね。

Shoujo: Mii chatta! Shikashi oddoroita atashi mitai henshin deiru hito ga iru n da ne.

Girl: I was watching! But I was surprised! Because you're a person that can transform, like me.

2-iagensoukijapan056m1jud.png

あたしはリリィ。花の精に守られてくらすイトリー族の女の子。

Atashi wa Ririi. Hana no sei ni maorarete kurasu Itorii zoku no on'na no ko.

I'm Lillie. I'm a girl from the Itory clan, which is protected by flower fairies.

[I've written it as "Ririi", but I actually don't know how to properly transliterate her name. The small "i" suggests it's taking over the vowel of the previous character, but that's "i" to begin with, so it seems like it's just "Riri" with a silent character. This spelling isn't unheard of as far as I know, but I went with the spelling Lillie since it's similarly a bit elaborate. I also went with Itory since it's the spelling the game uses, and I don't feel like there's a huge reason to go against it.]

2-iagensoukijapan0575djva.png

ところであなた…私たちにしか聞こえないメロディーをどうしてしってるの?

Tokoro de anata... Watashi tachi ni shika kikoenai merodii o doushite shitte ru no?

Why do you know the melody that nobody but us can hear?

[I initially took this as that it's only the Itory that can hear it, but I thought that this makes more sense. I'm not totally confident either way.]

2-iagensoukijapan058smka9.png

テム:ローラおばあちゃんから教わったんだよ。本当に困ったときにふけって。

Temu: Roura obaa chan kara oshiwatta n da yo. Hontou ni komatta toki ni fukette.

Tim: I learned it from Grandma Laura. I can play it when I'm really worried.

[I don't know why it's "I can play" rather than "I play".]

2-iagensoukijapan059cajc0.png

リリィ:ローラおばあちゃんにはとんでもない味のパイをごちそうになった。

Ririi: Roura obaa chan ni wa tondemonai aji no pai o gochisou ni natta.

Lillie: I had been treated to Grandma Laura's terrible tasting pies.

2-iagensoukijapan060nzkyj.png

テム:おばあさんを知ってるの!?

Temu: Obaa san o shitte ru no!?

Tim: You know my grandma!?

2-iagensoukijapan061a6jey.png

リリィ:ウフフ…じつはローラにたのまれてあなたをたすけにきたんだもん!

Ririi: Ufufu... Jitsu wa Roura ni tanomarete anata o tasuke ni kita n da mon!

Lillie: Hehe... The truth is, Laura requested that I come to save you!

2-iagensoukijapan062xlkn2.png

リリィ:あっ。長老さまが呼んでる…あたし行かなくちゃ。

Ririi: A.... Chourou sama ga yonde ru... Atashi ikenaku cha.

Lillie: Ah.... The Elder is calling... I have to go.

[I feel that Lillie in particular tends to respect the Elder, as she says "chourou sama" a lot.]

2-iagensoukijapan063svksp.png

リリィ:あとできっとまた会えるわ。じゃあネ、テム!

Ririi: Ato de kitto mata aeru wa. Jaa ne, Temu!

Lillie: We can definitely meet again later. See you, Tim!

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
one of my favorite game stories of all time, picked up for $14 at a pawn shop.

I am looking forward to seeing how certain thematic aspects of the games later developments turn out

these aren't spoilers in XXX character dies, XXX character does YYY, more spoilers in what the english translation kept in vs how it was presented in Japanese.

really I'm serious spoilers here, game ruining if you haven't played/don't remember

mainly russian roulette, child slavery, cannibalism, what exactly the shadow is and that one event literally everyone remembers

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
With the introduction of Friedan, let's talk about nationality and history, and how those play into the story and translation so far.

The translation I gave for the title of the game as "The Era of the Gaia Fantasy". For a game with "fantasy" in its title, we actually haven't seen a much that's fantastic so far. We have psychic powers and monsters. If you look closely at the introduction, you'll see that the map doesn't look much like our map in real life. But we've also got a whole lot of elements brought in from real life.

The game introduces itself as being in the Age of Discovery, which is roughly around the years 1400 to 1650. This follows the latter half of the Late Middle Ages, the Italian Renaissance, and the early modern period. When talking about ancient ruins, it shows off a bunch of things from the real world, like Stonehenge and the Moai statues of Easter Island.

At this point, I think we're supposed to be a little hazy about what kind of setting we're looking at. Is this the real world or is it a fantasy setting?

In our time in South Cape, most of the names we're introduced to are rather plain English names. Maybe it's an easy pattern to catch, but let's think about why that is how it is. For one thing, these names may have had a more exotic quality for a Japanese audience; Tim isn't even particularly easy to write in Japanese.

But beyond that, I feel that the homogeneity of the names is expressing an idea. When you think about the major powers of the era that the game claims to be set in, it's not hard to imagine that all of these children are young residents of the developing British Empire. Perhaps King Edward is the king overseeing that empire, and Karen could potentially become the queen.

Similar, Tim's father being a famous explorer puts him in line with the lines of Christopher Columbus, Vasco de Gama, Ferdinand Magellan, or Jacques Cartier.

With all of that in mind, let's look at Friedan, and particular the name. The official localization went with Freedan, which was probably running off the assumption that the name was made up. Friedan, on the other hand, is probably related to the word "Frieden", meaning peace. Compare to names like Friedrich, Gottfried, or Siegfried.

Knights are of course famous features of the Middle Ages, but as we enter into the Age of Discovery, they've become a relic. Guns are becoming the main form of warfare. Since they require much less training and maintenance than the sword-wielding cavalry, the few elite knights become less effective than the many footsoldiers.

The soldier that Tim is transforming into is already outdated within his own setting, although not so much that they've faded entirely into a long distant memory. Imagine if a kid today went out on an adventure and got the ability to transform into a soldier from the first World War; it's a bit like that.

Germany was a fairly unstable region in this period, not quite able to unite in the same way as other Western powers, which prevented them from developing the huge global empires that their neighbours were. So, Friedan's name also invokes to me an earlier age where Europe's reach was not yet so global and numerous Germanic kingdoms were still important to the region.

Without this context, we might be tempted to view Freedan as a magical knight; an entirely magical being who we simply accept as being what they are are always having been what they are. But viewing Friedan as this kind of a historical relic, it brings up the thought that he made have once been a normal person with psychic powers just as Tim is now. Maybe he fought in wars for his king, maybe he was once a squire for another knight, maybe he dreamt of learning to read so that he could experience Augustine's City of God for himself.

Considering details like this is both a very fun and very frightening part of translation work, I think. It's great when you realize connections that are meant to exist within the lines, but it's frightening that you might be reading too much into it and distorting the work.

Last edited:

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Illusion of Gaia in years, so this is a fun read. The plot goes some weird places later...

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
Pretty sure this thread will very quickly lead to me replaying this game myself, probably this weekend

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
ulillillia?

I have fond memories of this game back from the snes days. For whatever reason the lost at sea portion sticks with me the most. I replayed the game two years ago and the translation is much tougher than I remembered. Quite a few spelling mistakes and grammar errors, it felt like elementary level writing which is a shame for such a good game.

Chapter 6
OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
2-iagensoukijapan064rvjru.png

Zzz...

2-iagensoukijapan065q3kv6.png

Ah... You...!

2-iagensoukijapan0666jkj8.png

I think there were frequent escapes from that prison…

2-iagensoukijapan067ptjxx.png

I didn't say it was a bad thing. Escape from this castle quickly. I'm sorry that you were found by King Edward thing, but it's not out of the ordinary.

2-iagensoukijapan068cujo8.png

You're taking Miss Karen when you escape, right?

2-iagensoukijapan069lhk60.png

I'm hoping that His Majesty the King won't find you... So, you'll protect Her Majesty the Princess, right?

2-iagensoukijapan073tykmf.png

Soldier: Zzz...

2-iagensoukijapan074qdjbz.png

Karen: You came for me after all! Thank you very much.

2-iagensoukijapan075pijbr.png

That soldier outside, he was sleeping, right? The truth is, he used to be nicknamed "Snot Bubble" a long time ago. He's sleeping even now.

2-iagensoukijapan076q1jko.png

Tim: Your piglet came for me...

2-iagensoukijapan077jwjib.png

Karen: It's named Peggy. Cute, right?

2-iagensoukijapan078r4kb1.png

Karen: It's a very smart piglet. It's even got a little bit of a mysterious power…

2-iagensoukijapan079t4k5h.png

Alright, take me out of here!

2-iagensoukijapan085fvkex.png

Karen: Ah, that's right...! Since it might be a long journey, let's take some food.

2-iagensoukijapan0862nj9d.png

Won't you go to the basement for me?

2-iagensoukijapan087i8j3w.png

Got bone-in smoked meat!

2-iagensoukijapan089fiku1.png

Karen: With this, the preparations are complete. Alright, let's go before we're found by the soldiers!

2-iagensoukijapan09001kjx.png

Bone-in meat / Bone-in meat that was in Edward Castle's basement.

2-iagensoukijapan091x1kjz.png

Tried to nibble the bone-in smoked meat a little bit.

2-iagensoukijapan092bokt9.png

I had never eaten anything with anything like this mysterious taste. I wonder what in the world kind of meat this is...

2-iagensoukijapan0937tjjc.png

Karen: Alright. We're finally heading out, huh?

2-iagensoukijapan094k1jmv.png

First, let's try to go to your house. You must be worried about the Mrs. Laura and Mr. Bill.

2-iagensoukijapan095i1j6m.png

The two hurried to Tim's house.

2-iagensoukijapan097f7j4h.png

Tim: Wah...! What in the… Why does it look like this…

2-iagensoukijapan098m2j1b.png

Karen: This is awful...! Who could have done something like this…

2-iagensoukijapan099ickrw.png

Tim: What about Grandma and Grandpa!?

2-iagensoukijapan1009zja8.png

Karen: Mr. Biiill...!

2-iagensoukijapan1012uj47.png

Tim: Grandma Lauuura!

2-iagensoukijapan1025mkzj.png

Karen: I'll just quickly look on the second floor…!

2-iagensoukijapan103vejz9.png

Karen: Eeeeeeek...!! Come here! Help! Tim! It's, it's a disaster, a disaster!

2-iagensoukijapan1058lj7d.png

Tim: What happened!?

2-iagensoukijapan106mpj37.png

Karen: Look at this wall! This emblem, the mark of a leopard with black fur.. That means Black Panther came here!

2-iagensoukijapan107mdkse.png

Tim: "Black Panther"...?

2-iagensoukijapan109fvk5q.png

Karen: The assassin that my mother hired recently!

2-iagensoukijapan110zbktz.png

He's a tenacious, morbid, sinister man.

2-iagensoukijapan111d8kdv.png

If he has someone in his sights once, it's already over... He's a man that with no concern whatsoever about things like human life!

2-iagensoukijapan112fvkk0.png

Tim: Then, Grandpa and Grandma..

2-iagensoukijapan113cojuz.png

Lillie: You don't have to worry, you two.

2-iagensoukijapan114tojum.png

Tim: Ah. It's you, from a while ago...

2-iagensoukijapan115jdj9j.png

Karen: Who are youuu!?

2-iagensoukijapan1160mklj.png

Lillie: Iii'm Tim's friend.

2-iagensoukijapan117iykw2.png

Tim: Lillie, do you know something?

2-iagensoukijapan118nbk8m.png

Lillie: It's okay. Grandpa Bill and Grandma Laura are safe too.

2-iagensoukijapan119xkjs5.png

They're hiding in my village.

2-iagensoukijapan120amk36.png

Karen: Your village?

2-iagensoukijapan121gmjgm.png

Lillie: The village of the Itory clan.

2-iagensoukijapan1223gkqs.png

Karen: I haven't even heard of a village like that!

2-iagensoukijapan123s9j0w.png

Lillie: Naturally! There's a barrier put up in my village so that normal humans can't see it, you know...?

2-iagensoukijapan124tok6m.png

Lillie: Alright, let's go, Tim!

2-iagensoukijapan125u4klm.png

Tim: Sure!

2-iagensoukijapan126cvkno.png

Karen: I'm coming along too!

2-iagensoukijapan127f3jf9.png

Lillie: Your Majesty would be in danger…

2-iagensoukijapan128xijmz.png

Karen: I'm definitely coming along with you! That way, I can truly become free...!!

2-iagensoukijapan129iekp4.png

Lillie: That's just how it is, little lady.

2-iagensoukijapan130dnk6b.png

I feel like some lovely experiences are awaiting us.

2-iagensoukijapan13205j3w.png

Lillie: Are you going to go and meet with everyone before going to my village?

2-iagensoukijapan133jwkxr.png

It might be a while before we can come back.

2-iagensoukijapan134lajvt.png

Lillie: Huh...? Are you done already? Or are you going to check on the state of the town for a bit?

2-iagensoukijapan136zvjw5.png

What's the matter, Tim? You're looking at people's faces so closely...

2-iagensoukijapan1377ujlj.png

You're probably scheming something again, huh...?

2-iagensoukijapan142h7jbx.png

With this, I think the number of jewels should have become 7 altogether.

2-iagensoukijapan143gbk85.png

Whoops, the number of jewels you've collected have passed 5, haven't they...! Going by the list, I'll give you Protection Force.

2-iagensoukijapan1440rkdf.png

With that, your defensive power should rise by one.

2-iagensoukijapan158uzjkl.png

Ugh, it's always me…

2-iagensoukijapan169jkjb6.png

Rob: What's tha matter, Tim? Ya got a sad face.

2-iagensoukijapan170mjkqu.png

Ya havin' some problems that ya can't tell us about?

2-iagensoukijapan175k7ki8.png

Eric: What's wrong? You're different than usual.

2-iagensoukijapan1790yjjw.png

Lillie: Have you decided to head out? / Yes / No

2-iagensoukijapan180pjj8n.png

Karen: I feel like some lovely experiences are ahead of us.

2-iagensoukijapan18142jad.png

Lillie: No, from here, there will definitely be a lot of difficulties... *Sigh*...

2-iagensoukijapan1838tk5v.png

Karen: But we'll stand against them one by one, right?

2-iagensoukijapan1843rjk7.png

Lillie: It'll be like that for sure; have you ever been outside the castle?

2-iagensoukijapan185a4jsc.png

Karen: What a crazy girl!

2-iagensoukijapan186otjp2.png

Lillie: What did you say, you sheltered...!

2-iagensoukijapan187myj0y.png

Lillie: Tim's my friend. You understand that, right?

2-iagensoukijapan188bxjtt.png

Karen: Ah, you're my friend, right?! / Yeah, of course / I can't so easily know you that well...

2-iagensoukijapan189dujhq.png

Karen: I'm glad, Tim. Come on, let's hold hands as we go.

2-iagensoukijapan190cfjfj.png

Like this, the three headed to Lillie's village.

Chapter 6 - Annotated version
OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

2-iagensoukijapan064rvjru.png

うつらうつら…

Utsura utsura...

Zzz...

[I don't think this means the guards are necessarily sleeping, but that they're tired and not really paying attention.]

2-iagensoukijapan065q3kv6.png

あっ。お前はっ!

A.... O mae wa...!

Ah... You...!

2-iagensoukijapan0666jkj8.png

よくあのろうやからぬけ出せたものだな…。

Yoku ano rouya kara nuke daseta mono da na....

I think there were frequent escapes from that prison…

2-iagensoukijapan067ptjxx.png

悪いことは言わん。この城から早くにげるんだな。エドワード王に見つかったらただごとじゃすまないぜ。

Warui koto wa iwan. Kono shiro kara hayaku nigeru n da na. Edowaado ou ni mitsukatta ra tadagoto ja sumanai ze.

I didn't say it was a bad thing. Escape from this castle quickly. I'm sorry you were found by King Edward.

[I'm a little confused at the last bit. There's something about a trivial matter in there; I'm wondering if it's actually about King Edward going after Tim already, or if it's a warning in case he's found in the future.]

2-iagensoukijapan068cujo8.png

カレンさまをつれてお城をぬけ出すんでしょ?

Karen sama o tsurete o shiro o nuke dasu n desho?

You're taking Miss Karen when you escape, right?

2-iagensoukijapan069lhk60.png

王様に見つからないように…そしておひめさまを守ってあげてね。

Ou sama ni mitsu kara nai you ni... Soshite o hime sama o mamotte agete ne.

I'm hoping that His Majesty the King won't find you... So, you'll give Her Majesty the Princess your protection, right?

2-iagensoukijapan073tykmf.png

兵士:すぴーすぴー…

Heishi: Supii supii...

Soldier: Zzz...

[Googled this and found images of sleeping cats, so that's what I'm assuming it is.]

2-iagensoukijapan074qdjbz.png

カレン:やっぱりきてくれたのね!どうもありがとう。

Karen: Yappari kite kureta no ne! Doumo arigatou.

Karen: You came for me after all! Thank you very much.

2-iagensoukijapan075pijbr.png

外の兵隊さん、ねてたでしょう?じつは彼のむかしのあだ名、鼻ちょうちんっていうのよ。今もねむってばっかり。

Soto no heitai san, neteta deshou? Jitsu wa kare no mukashi no ada na, hana chouchin tte iu no yo. Ima mo nemutte bakkari.

That soldier outside, he was sleeping, right? The truth is, he used to be nicknamed "Snot Bubble" a long time ago. He's even sleeping now.

2-iagensoukijapan076q1jko.png

テム:きみのコブタがきてくれて…

Temu: Kimi no kobuta ga kite kurete...

Tim: Your piglet came for me...

2-iagensoukijapan077jwjib.png

カレン:ぺぎーっていうの。かわいいでしょう?

Karen: Pegii tte iu no. Kawaii deshou?

Karen: It's named Peggy. Cute, right?

2-iagensoukijapan078r4kb1.png

カレン:とってもかしこい子よ。ちょっとばかり不思議な力もあるし…

Karen: Tottemo kahikoi ko yo. Chotto bakari fushigi na chikra moarushi..

Karen: It's a very smart child. It's even got a little bit of a mysterious power...

2-iagensoukijapan079t4k5h.png

さあ、わたしをここから連れだして!

Saa, watashi o koko kara tsure dashite!

Alright, take me out of here!

2-iagensoukijapan085fvkex.png

カレン:あそうだっ!長旅になるかもしれないし食べ物を持っていきましょ。

Karen: A sou da...! Nagatabi ni naru ka mo shirenai shirenai shi tabemono o motte ikimasho.

Karen: Ah, that's right...! Since we don't know if it might be a long journey, let's take some food.

2-iagensoukijapan0862nj9d.png

地下室へいってくれない?

Chikashitsu e itte kurenai?

Won't you go to the basement for me?

2-iagensoukijapan087i8j3w.png

骨つきのくんせい肉を手に入れた!

Hone tsuki no kunsei niku o te ni ireta!

Got bone-in smoked meat!

2-iagensoukijapan089fiku1.png

カレン:これで準備オッケー!さあ兵隊さんに見つからないうちにいきましょ!

Karen: Kore de junbi okkei! Saa heitai san ni mitsukaranai uchi ni ikimasho!

Karen: With this, we're OK on the preparations. Alright, let's go while we haven't been found by the soldiers!

2-iagensoukijapan09001kjx.png

ほねつきのにく / エドワードじょうのちかにあったほねつきのにく。

Hone tsuki no niku / Edowaado jou no chika ni atta hone tsuki no niku.

Bone-in meat / Bone-in meat that was in Edward Castle's basement.

2-iagensoukijapan091x1kjz.png

骨つきのくんせい肉をちょっぴりかじってみた。

Hone tsuki no kunsei niku o choppiri kajitte mita.

Tried to nibble the bone-in smoked meat a little bit.

2-iagensoukijapan092bokt9.png

それは今まで食べたことのないような不思議な味がした。いったい何の肉だろう…

Sore wa ima made tabeta koto no nai you na fushigi na aji ga shita. Ittai nani no niku darou...

That said, I hadn't eaten anything similar to this mysterious taste until now. I wonder what in the world kind of meat this is...

2-iagensoukijapan0937tjjc.png

カレン:さあ。いよいよ出発ね。

Karen: Saa. Iyoiyo shuppatsu ne.

Karen: Alright. We're finally departing, huh?

2-iagensoukijapan094k1jmv.png

まずはテムの家へ行ってみましょ。ローラおばあさまやビルおじいさまのことが心配だわ。

Mazu wa Temu no ie e itte mimasho. Rura obaa sama ya Biru ojii sama no koto ga shinpai da wa.

First, let's try to go to Tim's house. You must be worried about the state of Mrs. Laura and Mr. Bill.

[Maybe it's that Laura and Bill might be worried, but since it talking about their event, I assume that it's referring to a worry about their state.]

2-iagensoukijapan095i1j6m.png

二人はテムの家へと足をはやめた。

Futari wa Temu no ie e to ashi o hayameta.

The two hurried their feet to Tim's house.

2-iagensoukijapan097f7j4h.png

テム:うわっ!なんだよこのあれようは…

Temu: Uwa...! Nan da yo kono are you wa...

Tim: Wah...! What in the world is this...

[Not sure about this exactly, but I don't think it's really stating a coherent thought so much as just being an expression of shock.]

2-iagensoukijapan098m2j1b.png

カレン:ひどい….!いったいだれがこんなことを…

Karen: Hidoi....! Ittai dare ga kon'na koto o...

Karen: This is awful....! Who could have done something like this...

2-iagensoukijapan099ickrw.png

テム:おじいちゃんとおばあちゃんは!?

Temu: Ojii chan to obaa chan ha!?

Tim: What about Grandma and Grandpa!?

2-iagensoukijapan1009zja8.png

カレン:ビルおじいさまーっ!

Karen: Biru ojii samaa...!

Karen: Mr. Biiill...!

2-iagensoukijapan1012uj47.png

テム:ローラおばあちーゃん!

Temu: Roura obaa chaan!

Tim: Grandma Lauuura!

2-iagensoukijapan1025mkzj.png

カレン:あたし2階を見てくるっ!

Karen: Atashi ni kai o mite kure...!

Karen: I'll look on the second floor and come back…!

[I thought for a moment that she was asking Tim to look at the second floor, but she does go herself, so this makes more sense to me.]

2-iagensoukijapan103vejz9.png

カレン:きゃーーーーーーッ!!!きて!たすけて!テム!た、たいへん、たいへんよ!

Karen: Kyaaaaaaa...!!! Kite! Tasukete! Temu! Ta, taihen, taihen yo!

Karen: Eeeeeeek...!!! Come here! Help! Tim! It's, it's a disaster, a disaster!

2-iagensoukijapan1058lj7d.png

テム:どうしたの!?

Temu: Doushita no!?

Tim: What happened!?

2-iagensoukijapan106mpj37.png

カレン:このかべを見て!このしるし、黒いヒョウのマーク..ブラックパンサーがきたんだわ!

Karen: Kono kabe o mite! Kono shirushi, kuroi hyou no maaku.. Burakku Pansaa ga kita n da wa!

Karen: Look at this wall! This emblem, the black leopard mark.. That means Black Panther came here!

[This sentence is sort of the thing where the English term is explained in Japanese, which is why it's a little redundant.]

2-iagensoukijapan107mdkse.png

テム:ブラックパンサーって…?

Temu: Burakku Pansaa tte...?

Tim: "Black Panther"...?

2-iagensoukijapan109fvk5q.png

カレン:最近お母さまがやとった殺し屋よ!

Karen: Saikin o kaa sama ga yatotta koroshiya yo!

Karen: The assassin that my mother recently hired!

2-iagensoukijapan110zbktz.png

しつっこくて暗くてふきつな男なの。

Shitsukkoku te kuraku tefukitsuna otoko na no.

He's a tenacious, morbid, sinister man.

["Kuraku" seems like it could mean a bunch of things, so I picked something that seemed like it was in line with how he's being presented.]

2-iagensoukijapan111d8kdv.png

一度こいつにねらわれたらもう、おしまい…人の命なんてなんとも思わない男よ!

Ichido koitsu ni nerawareta mou, oshimai... Hito no inochi nante nanto mo omowanai otoko yo!

If this guy takes aim at someone once, it's already over... He's a man that doesn't think about things like human life whatsoever!

2-iagensoukijapan112fvkk0.png

テム:じゃあおじいちゃんとおばあちゃんは..

Temu: Jaa ojii chan to obaa chan wa..

Tim: Then, Grandpa and Grandma..

2-iagensoukijapan113cojuz.png

リリィ:ご安心あれ、おふたりさん。

Ririi: Go anshin are, o futari san.

Lillie: You don't have to worry, you two.

2-iagensoukijapan114tojum.png

テム:あ。君はさっきの…

Temu: A. Kimi wa sakki no...

Tim: Ah. It's you from a while ago...

2-iagensoukijapan115jdj9j.png

カレン:あなただあれ!?

Karen: Anata daare!?

Karen: Who are youuu!?

2-iagensoukijapan1160mklj.png

リリィ:テムのお友達よーだ。

Ririi: Temu no o tomodachi you da.

Lillie: Iii'm Tim's friend.

2-iagensoukijapan117iykw2.png

テム:リリィ、きみはなにか知ってるの?

Temu: Ririi, kimi wa nani ka shitte ru no?

Tim: Lillie, do you know something?

2-iagensoukijapan118nbk8m.png

リリィ:だいじょうぶ。ビルおじいちゃんもローラおばあちゃんも無事だよ。

Ririi: Daijoubu. Biru o jii chan mo Roura o baa chan mo buji da yo.

Lillie: It's okay. Grandpa Bill and Grandma Laura are also safe.

2-iagensoukijapan119xkjs5.png

あたしの村にかくれてる。

Atashi no mura ni kakurete ru.

They're hiding in my village.

2-iagensoukijapan120amk36.png

カレン:あなたの村?

Karen: Anata no mura?

Karen: Your village?

2-iagensoukijapan121gmjgm.png

リリィ:イトリー族の村。

Ririi: Itorie zoku no mura.

Lillie: The village of the Itory clan.

[I initally translated "zoku" as "tribe", but I think "clan" is more accurate. It seems like the word suggests that they're all actually related in some way.]

2-iagensoukijapan1223gkqs.png

カレン:そんな村、きいたこともないわ!

Karen: Son'na mura, kiita koto mo nai wa!

Karen: I haven't even heard of a village like that!

2-iagensoukijapan123s9j0w.png

リリィ:当然よ。あたしの村には結界がはってあってふつうの人間には見えやしないもんんねっ。

Ririi: Touzen yo. Atashi no mura ni wa kekkai ga hatte atte futsuu no ningen ni wa mie yashi nai mon n ne....

Lillie: That's natural. There's a barrier put up in my village so normal humans can't see it, you know...?

2-iagensoukijapan124tok6m.png

リリィ:さあ行こっ。テム!

Ririi: Saa ikou.... Temu!

Lillie: Alright, let's go, Tim!

2-iagensoukijapan125u4klm.png

テム:うん!

Temu: Un!

Tim: Sure!

2-iagensoukijapan126cvkno.png

カレン:あたしもついて行く!

Karen: Atashi mo tsuite iku!

Karen: I'm coming along too!

2-iagensoukijapan127f3jf9.png

リリィ:おひめさまにはキケンだよっ。

Ririi: O hime sama ni wa kiken da yo....

Lillie: It'll be dangerous for Your Majesty....

2-iagensoukijapan128xijmz.png

カレン:絶対について行くもん!これであたしほんとに自由になれるのねっ!!

Karen: Zettai ni tsuite iku mon! Kore de atashi honto ni jiyuu ni nareru no ne...!!

Karen: I'm definitely coming along with you! With this, I can truly become free...!!

2-iagensoukijapan129iekp4.png

リリィ:これだものおじょうさまったら。

Ririi: Kore da mono o jou sama ttara.

Lillie: That's how it is, little lady.

[I feel like this is a stock phrase I'm not interpreting correctly. I don't know if "o jou sama" directly translates to anything more than, say, "honoured miss girl", but I think it tends to associated with prim and proper rich girls. In this game it tends to be used sarcastically, so I've gone with "little lady", which I think can be used in a sarcastic and patronizing way.]

2-iagensoukijapan130dnk6b.png

この先何かすてきなことが待っているような気がするわ。

Kono saki nani ka suteki na koto ga matte iru you na ki ga suru wa.

I feel like some lovely experiences are awaiting us.

2-iagensoukijapan13205j3w.png

リリィ:あたしの村へ行くまえに町のみんなに会ってきたら?

Ririi: Atashi no mura e iku mae ni machi no min'na ni atte kita ra?

Lillie: Are you going to meet with everyone and come back before going to my village?

2-iagensoukijapan133jwkxr.png

しばらくここへはもどってこられないかもしれないわよ。

Shibaraku koko e wa modotte orarenai kamo shirenai wa yo.

I don't know if it might be a while before we can come back.

2-iagensoukijapan134lajvt.png

リリィ:えっ?もういいの?ちょっとは町のようすをながめてきたら?

Ririi: E...? Mou ii no? Chotto wa machi no yousu o nagamete kita ra?

Lillie: Huh...? Are you fine already? Going to check on the state of the town for a bit and then come back?

2-iagensoukijapan136zvjw5.png

なんですか。テム。人の顔をしげしげと見て…

Nan desu ka. Temu. Hito no kao o shigeshige to mite...

What's the matter, Tim? Looking at people's faces so closely...

2-iagensoukijapan1377ujlj.png

また何かたくらんでるんじゃないでしょうね…

Mata nani ka takurande ru n ja nai deshou ne...

You're probably scheming something again, huh...?

2-iagensoukijapan142h7jbx.png

これで宝石の数は全部で7コになったわけだな。

Kore de houseki no suu wa zenbu de nanako ni natta wake da na.

With this, I think the number of jewels should altogether have become 7.

2-iagensoukijapan143gbk85.png

おっと集めた宝石が5コを越えているじゃないかっ!リストの通り守りのフォースをあげることにしよう。

Otto atsumeta houseki ga goko o koete iru ja nai ka...! Risuto no tsuuri mamori no fousu o ageru koto ni shiyou.

Whoops, the number of jewels you've collected have passed 5, haven't they...! Going by the list, I'll give you Protection Force.

2-iagensoukijapan1440rkdf.png

これで君のぼうぎょ力は一つ上がるはずだ。

Kore de kimi no bougyo chikara wa hitotsu agaru hazu da.

With that, your defensive power should rise by one.

2-iagensoukijapan158uzjkl.png

ちぇっあたしばかり…

Che, atashi bakari...

Ugh, it's always me…

2-iagensoukijapan169jkjb6.png

ロブ:どうしたんだ?テム。うかない顔して。

Robu: Doushita n da? Temu. Ukanai kao shite.

Rob: What's the matter, Tim? You've got a sad face.

2-iagensoukijapan170mjkqu.png

何かおれたちに言えないなやみでもあるのか?

Nani ka ore tachi ni ienai nayami demo aru no ka?

Is it that you're having some troubles that you can't tell us about?

2-iagensoukijapan175k7ki8.png

エリック:どうしたの?何かいつものテムとちがうよ。

Erikku: Doushita no? Nani ka itsumo no Temu to chigau yo.

Eric: What's wrong? You're different from the usual Tim.

2-iagensoukijapan1790yjjw.png

リリィ:旅立つ決心はできたわけね?/はい/いいえ

Ririi: Tabidatsu kesshin wa dekita wake ne? / Hai / Iie

Lillie: Were you able to decide to depart? / Yes / No

2-iagensoukijapan180pjj8n.png

カレン:この先何かすてきなことが待っているような気がする。

Karen: Kono saki nan ka suteki na koto ga matte iru you na ki ga suru.

Karen: I feel like some lovely experiences are ahead of us.

2-iagensoukijapan18142jad.png

リリィ:いいえこれからが苦労の連続だわきっと…。ふうぅっ…。

Ririi: Iie kore kara ga kurou no renzoku da wa kitto.... Fuuu.......

Lillie: No, from here there will definitely be a series of toils... *Sigh*.......

2-iagensoukijapan1838tk5v.png

カレン:いちいちたてつくわねえ。

Karen: Ichiichi tate tsuku wa nee.

Karen: We'll stand against them one by one, right?

2-iagensoukijapan1843rjk7.png

リリィ:そっちこそお城の外へ出たことがあるの?

Ririi: Socchi koso o shiro no soto e deta koto ga aru no?

Lillie: It'll definitely be like that; have you ever been outside the castle?

[I feel like I'm interpreting the first part of this backwards somehow. Maybe it's meant to be snark?]

2-iagensoukijapan185a4jsc.png

カレン:なによフーテン娘!

Karen: Nani yo fuuten musume!

Karen: What a crazy girl!

[I think it's more likely that she's calling Lillie crazy than homeless, but when I google the word, I mostly see images of what look like travelling hobo types. Considering that they're about to go on a journey, I wonder if that's what she means.]

2-iagensoukijapan186otjp2.png

リリィ:なんですって、世間知らずっ!

Ririi: Nan desu tte, sekai shirazu...!

Lillie: What did you say, you're ignorant about the world...!

2-iagensoukijapan187myj0y.png

リリィ:テムはあたしのおともだち。わかったわね?

Ririi: Temu wa atashi no o tomodachi. Wakatta wa ne?

Lillie: Tim's my friend. You understand that, right?

2-iagensoukijapan188bxjtt.png

カレン:あら、テムはあたしのおともだちよね?! / うん、もちろんさ / よくわかんねえやし…

Karen: Ara, Temu wa atashi no o tomodachi yo ne?! / Un, mochiron sa / Yoku wakan'nee yashi...

Karen: Ah, Tim's my friend, right?! / Yeah, of course / I can't so easily know you that well...

[I'm not confident that I understood what the "yoku" and "yashi" were here, but I took a stab at it being "well" and "easy".]

2-iagensoukijapan189dujhq.png

カレン:うれしいわ、テム。さあさ、手をつないで行きましょ。

Karen: Ureshii wa, Temu. Saasa, te o tsunai de ikimashou.

Karen: I'm glad, Tim. Come on, let's hold hands and go.

2-iagensoukijapan190cfjfj.png

こうして3人はリリィの村へと向かうのであった。

Kou shite san'nin wa Ririi no mura e to mukau no de atta.

In this way, the three headed to Lillie's village.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to read through this later, but this is super cool. One of my favorite games.

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The word "o jou sama" comes up for the first time here; it's used a lot to describe Karen, to the point where it's almost like an inverse catchphrase. It isn't exactly an insult; it's a polite form of address that, for example, Karen's butler might have used for her. But there is never a point in this game where it isn't used sarcastically to be snide towards Karen.

I think a good official translation would probably have gone with "spoiled brat". The phrase isn't really equivalent - it's a direct insult rather than sarcastic politeness - but I don't think we have any words that quite fit, and it sounds a little unnatural trying to make it fit. Calling someone a spoiled brat a hundred times will still sound right in English.

Did he go through the Japanese translation of Bubsy as well? But I understand the comparison; when I talk about having to go through the game in a granular way, that's sort of what I mean.

For example, imagine that I was doing this like a manga fan translation and releasing it post by post as I complete it. I might come up to a part where I realize that something is plural later, and then have to go back and correct the earlier parts. I have to understand the nitty gritty details in order to communicate them to someone else, whereas a normal reader is free to assume that they're already there and can gloss over them until they feel they're important enough to notice.

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool to see something like this, especially with one like Illusion of Gaia where the setting/story is so out there that translation needs to take a lot of context into account. Back when I had the time I had fun translating a couple games - hope you also enjoy it.

悪いことは言わん。この城から早くにげるんだな。エドワード王に見つかったらただごとじゃすまないぜ。

Warui koto wa iwan. Kono shiro kara hayaku nigeru n da na. Edowaado ou ni mitsukatta ra tadagoto ja sumanai ze.

I didn't say it was a bad thing. Escape from this castle quickly. I'm sorry you were found by King Edward.

[I'm a little confused at the last bit. There's something about a trivial matter in there; I'm wondering if it's actually about King Edward going after Tim already, or if it's a warning in case he's found in the future.]
My Japanese is rusty, but I think エドワード王に見つかったら would be "If King Edward found you" (I'd probably say something like "If King Edward found out, it would be no laughing matter / I couldn't turn a blind eye")

Last edited:

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
世界は大航海時代の真っ直中だった。人々は新大陸へと足をのばし古代文明の遺産をはっくつしていった。

Sekai wa daikoukai jidai no mattadanaka datta. Hitobito wa shintairiku e to ashi o nobashi kodaibunmei no isan o hakkutsushite itta.

The world was in the middle of the Age of Discovery. People's boots landed at the New World and the legacies of ancient civilizations were being discovered.

[The word "feet" is in here and I'm not sure what it's doing; I took it as a figurative statement.]
Maybe it's something like "stretching one's feet"; I found meanings like "to (relax and) stretch one's legs out" or "to go for a further walk" on Weblio.

はるかなる時の流れは数々の伝説を生み出した。

Haruka naru toki no nagare wa kazukazu no densetsu o umi dasu.

Many legends came forth regarding times that had become distant.

[I think this is either saying legends are formed with the passage of time or that they're formed about distant times, but I'm not totally sure on either.]
I would read it as "times that have (now) become distant have brought forth numerous legends"; I would expect something more than a simple は, if it was meant to indicate the topic of the legends.

遺跡の数だけ伝説があり伝説の数だけ古代文明が存在したのだ…

Iseki no suu dake densetsu ga ari densetsu no suu dake kodai bunmei ga sonzai shita noda...

The number of historical ruins was only as many as the number of legends, the number of legends was only as many as the number of ancient civilizations that existed...
This is minor, but shouldn't it be the other way around, ie "there were only as many legends as the number of ruins"?

ちぇっあたしばっかり…

Che, atashi bakkari...

Tsk, I always...

[I guess she's always it? Is that how the game works?]
Could it be "tsk, it's just me...", as in, she is the only one to have won/lost that particular game?

あたしゃモリスがかわいそうでしかたがないよ。

Atasha Morisu ga kawaisou de shikata ga nai yo.

[I don't know what "atasha" is; I assume it's "atashi", a feminine way of referring to oneself, but blended with the "wa" particle or something like that.]
I believe I have stumbled upon that contraction in other places, and that's definitely how I've interpreted it.

世の中ちょっとしたことでお全持ちにも貧ぼうにもなるのね。あーあ何かいい話がころがってないかなぁ。

Yo no naka chotto shita koto de o kane mochi ni mo binbou ni mo naru no ne. Aaa nanika ii hanashi ga korogatte nai ka naa...

You know, a little thing about this this world is that even if you have money, you could fall into poverty. Ah, I think somehow a pleasant story didn't come out...

[I think what's she's saying here is that she meant to say something that's nice to hear, but absentmindly hit on an unpleasant subject.]
Could the first part be along the lines of "(in this world) with a small thing, you could become either rich or poor"? It seems weird that having both parts with にも, one would be the subject. I agree with your reading of the second part.

そして何をかくそう。私はへんそうの名人なのだ。他の町でも会うだろうが君は気づかないかも知れないよ。

Soshite nani o kakusou. Watashi wa hensou no meijin nano da. Hoka no machi demo au darou ga kimi wa kizukanai kamo shirenai yo.

So what to hide. I am certainly a master of disguise. However, in other towns, I do not know whether you will recognize me or not.

[Again, I feel like the first part might be a set phrase.]
I found the phrase translated as " to be frank with you; to tell you the truth; I'm going to lay my cards on the table" on Weblio.

大きな家だとそうじをするだけでかたがこっとしょうがないよ…

Ooki na ie da to souji o suru dake de kata ga kotto shou ga nai yo...

With a big house, with just cleaning you can't help hurting your shoulder...

[I couldn't figure out what "kotto" was, so I guessed it's injuring or exhausting or something like that.]
I think it might be derived from " 肩が凝る ", which means "to have stiff shoulders"; I'm not sure what conjugation/inflection it would be though; it looks like a ておく which can become とく, but I don't think that works without the く afterwards.

Hope you don't mind this kind of post, I like talking about translations/interpretations, even though my skill level is not that high.

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking I'd slow my update schedule to every other day so that I had a bit more time to give the posts a quick check for formatting errors and so that others had a little more time to reach them. So I'll push today's update to tomorrow and continue on that schedule from there.

Hope you don't mind this kind of post, I like talking about translations/interpretations, even though my skill level is not that high.

On the contrary; I made it a point to note lines where I wasn't totally confident so that I wasn't presenting myself as infallible and people were encouraged to provide corrections. So I appreciate that you and Niahak are weighing in.

Maybe it's something like "stretching one's feet"; I found meanings like "to (relax and) stretch one's legs out" or "to go for a further walk" on Weblio.

I believe this foot thing repeatedly shows up in this game when you arrive in a new area, which is what leads me to think that it's got something to do with arrival.

Could it be "tsk, it's just me...", as in, she is the only one to have won/lost that particular game?

It could be; it could also be related to them being "it". To view it in context, this is said by the girl on the left side of the roof, who is saying "the dharma doll... fell down" ("green light... red light"). The other girls are approaching her from the right when she's not facing them, stopping when she turns around. But this particular line is said when the girls approaching from the right are resetting their positions and heading back to the right side of the roof. The roles that the girls are playing in the game never changes.

My Japanese is rusty, but I think エドワード王に見つかったら would be "If King Edward found you" (I'd probably say something like "If King Edward found out, it would be no laughing matter / I couldn't turn a blind eye")

Could the first part be along the lines of "(in this world) with a small thing, you could become either rich or poor"? It seems weird that having both parts with にも, one would be the subject. I agree with your reading of the second part.

I found the phrase translated as " to be frank with you; to tell you the truth; I'm going to lay my cards on the table" on Weblio.

All of these make sense to me on further inspection.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
それに王女ってあのわがまま娘のカレンだろ。あんなヤツのどこがいいんだっ?

Sore ni ojou tte ano wagamama musume no Karen daro. An'na yatsu no doko ga ii n da...?

Besides, that "princess" is that selfish girl Karen, right? That kind of jerk's where is good...?

[Aside from being dismissive, I don't know what the second sentence is supposed to mean. Maybe something like "she's fine wherever"?]
I believe it's "what's good about her?".

エドワード城の兵士ってかっこいいじゃない?ぼくはそれが見たいだけだい。

Edowaado jou no heishi tte kakkoii ja nai? Boku wa sore ga mitai dake dai.

[Not completely confident about what "dai" is. Might be a childish particle. I think Eric's supposed to be a little childish, but it's not really hammered I as far as I can tell.]
Here's Jisho's definition for it:
1. is it?; isn't it?. - Familiar language, marks wh-question (what, where, who)
2. be; is. - Children's language, strengthens one's judgment or conclusion

においをかいで感じること、

nioi o kaide kanjiru koto,

the sense from the effect of a scent,

[Not sure why this is structured differently. I imagine these are standard phrases.]
As far as I know 匂いを嗅ぐ means "to smell", so it is pretty much like the others.

さわって感じること、の5つだって言われています。

Sawatte kanjiru koto, no itsutsu datte iwarete imasu.

the sense of touching; these are what are called the five.

[Not sure what the "no" is doing, but I guess it's part of a sentence structure that doesn't map up well with English.]
Could the の be there to "support" the previous five clauses? As in, to support the description of the five things he's talking about.

チョウノウリョクっていうのは6番目の力なんじゃないかとぼくは思っているんですけどね。

Chounouryoku tte iu no wa roku banme no chikara nan ja nai ka to boku wa omotte iru n desu kedo ne.

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that what you call extrasensory perception is a sixth ability.

[I don't really get the "nan ja nai ka to" part in the middle; it looks to me like it's just "it isn't what?" I guessed that it adds uncertainty but it feels like it's just shoved in the middle of a statement.]
It might be "I'm thinking 'isn't this you call extrasensory perception some kind of sixth ability?'". I couldn't really think of a better phrasing, but I feel it makes sense, kinda.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I made a separate post since it's a different update, sorry about that.

おっと集めた宝石が3コを越えているじゃないかっ!リストの通り薬草をあげなくては。

Otto atsumeta houseki ga san ko o koete iru ja nai ka...! Risuto no toori yakusou o agenaku te wa.

[It seems like both of these lines use a negative; the first is obviously for emphasis, but I'm not as familiar with the second one.]
It might just be 上げなくてはいけない, with いけない dropped; so "according to the list, I have to give you a Medicinal Herb".

けっ。ちょともつれやしねえ…

Ke.... Choto mo tsureyashi nee...

Guh.... I can't take it even a little, huh...
I looked up やしねぇ a bit more yesterday; I found that it could be -はしない, with は turned into や since it's casual speech. つれ might be the stem of 釣れる, the potential of 釣る.
I'm still not totally convinced, since this construction is for "strong negative intention/desire", which doesn't really fit with this situation.

テムって言ったかしら?あなたとは初めて会うっていう気がしないのよね。なんだかいいお友達になれそう。

Temu tte itta kashira? Anata to wa hajimete autte iu ki ga shinai no yo ne. Nandaka ii o tomodachi ni naresou.

I think you were called Tim? I don't feel like I'm meeting with you for the first time. For some reason, it seems like we can become good friends.

[There's a "saying" in there, like "meeting for the first time" is a quote, but I think that might just be how this expression works.]
I may have misunderstood your comment, but I believe っていう is there to "specify" the 気, so thinking of it as a "quote" makes sense to me.

その迷宮の水路を作ったのは何をかくそうこの人なんだよテム。

Sono meikyuu no suiro o tsukutta no wa nani o kakusou kono hito nanda yo Temu.

[I'm actually not sure about this line. It looks to me like "In making that aqueduct of maze, building what, this person, what, Tim". I can see it being "In making that aqueduct of maze, this person (me) that built (that), what, Tim", but I still don't think it seems totally clear.]
I believe it's "the (person) who build that labyrinthine aqueduct, to tell you the truth, is myself, Tim", with 何を隠そう being the set expression I linked yesterday.

ローラ:さて。かた苦しい話はやめてそろそろ夕ごはんにしましょ。

Roura: Sate. Kata kurushii hanashi wa yamate sorosoro yuugohan ni shimasho.

Laura: Well, with that painful story stopping, we can have dinner now.

[Don't know what "kata" is doing here; I figured that it's either that the story stopping is the method that allows them to have dinner, or that having dinner will stop the story.]
I found 堅苦しい, which means "formal, strict, ceremonious, stiff".

おいしいパイをやいたからね。さあ二人とも二階でテーブルについていておくれ。

Oishii pai o yaita kara ne. Saa futari tomo nikai de teiburu ni tsuite ite okure.

[I took "okure" as referring to being late, but I don't know if it's used like that. I'm also thinking that it could just be a request, like "kure", but I don't think you slap an honorific prefix on that.]
Having just finished playing Yakuza Kiwami, anything that ends with くれ sounds in my head as if an angry 極道 is saying it. Which doesn't quite fit, but it does make it pretty funny.

そしてよく朝。たいへんな出来事が起ころうとしていた…

Soshite yokuasa. Taihen na dekigoto ga okorou to shite ita...

Then, the next morning. A terrible affair had tried to arise...
I found this could mean something like "a terrible event was about to happen", though to be honest I'm not sure why.

ローラ:おはようテム。お前にエドワード国王から手紙が届いているよ。

Roura: Ohayou Temu. Omae ni Edowaado kokuou kara tegami ga todoite iru yo.

[I'm curious what the different is between "ou" and "kokuou" as words for kings.]
I found this on Hinative:
王 (ō) = king
国 (kuni) = country
王国 (ōkoku) = kingdom
国王 (kokuō) = king of the country

王 isn't always 国王.
百獣の王 = The king of the beast (lion) hasn't any country, but they're still king, you know.
In addition, great-grandsons of 天皇 (ten-nō) are called 王 in Japan.

オールマンの所持品である水しょうの指輪をエドワード城まで持参されたし。 / 国王エドワード

Ouruman no shojihin de aru suishou no yubiwa o Edowaado jou made jisan sareta shi. / Kokuou Edwaado

Bring the crystal ring from Allman's personal possessions to Edward Castle. / King Edward

[I don't know what the "shi" is doing here; I guess it's a particle I'm not used to seeing that can turn the passive past into a command?]
Jisho has an entry for されたし:
I would like you to ...; I ask that you ...; please ... - Honorific or respectful (sonkeigo)

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
My only comment for update 4 is that the king is rather rude. Also, I share your confusion with regards to Edward; I feel like "Edward's Queen" would be a stretch, given how it's written.

テム:なぜぼくはこんな目に会わなければならないのだろう。

Temu: Naze boku wa kon'na me ni awana kereba nara nai no darou.

Tim: If I didn't see how I met this sight, I probably couldn't.

[I can't make heads or tails of this one. Is it a lamentation?]
"I wonder, why must I have this kind of experience?", I didn't know that 目 could mean "experience" as well.

とにかくここからぬけ出す方法を考えなくては…。

Tonikaku koko kara nuke dasu houhou o kangaenakute wa...

Anyhow, unless I think of a way out of here...
Like before, I think this is "I have to think of a way to get out of here", with いけない dropped at the end.

彼らもこのコケを心のささえにしてくらしていたのかもしれない…

Kare ra mo kono koke o kokoro no sasae ni shite kurai shite ita no kamoshirenai...

They might also have gotten moral support from living with this moss...

[The end result of this makes sense to me, but I'm not sure that this is actually what the sentence builds to.]
The structure makes me think that they gave support to the moss, which doesn't really make sense. "They might have lived and given support"? I'm not sure.

おまえに一つたのみがある。聞いてくれるか? / はい、お父さんのたのみなら / いやだ、ボクを見すてたくせに!

Omae ni hitotsu no miga aru. Kiite kure ru ka? / Hai, o tou an no tanomi nara / Iya da, boku o misuteta kuseni!

I have a request for you. Will you listen to it for me? / Yes, since it's Dad's request / No, you abandoned me!

[Not totally sure what "kuseni" is doing here.]
Maybe it's like "No, (you ask something of me) despite having abandoned me".

テムもこれで自由になってねっ。」

Temu mo kore de jiyuu ni natte ne...."

Tim will also become free by this...."

[I think the "this" means her escape, although I guess it could be the key.]
I think it's the key in this case, since her escape on its own doesn't really help him, unlike the key. So "with this (key), Tim too will be free (like I will be when I escape)...".

早くこっちに来なさいよっ!まものにやられちゃうじゃないっ!

Hayaku kocchi ki nasai yo...! Mamono ni yarare chau ja nai...!

[I'm really not sure what the verb in the latter sentence is. I took it as "won't get hurt", but maybe it's something else?]
It's either "won't get hurt" or "won't be killed", if you take it to be the passive of 殺る.

たとえ敵にやられても遠くはなれた場所までもどることはなくなるのだ…

Tatoe teki ni yararetemo tooku wa nareta basho made ,odoru koto wa naku naru no da...

Even if you are defeated by an enemy, you won't be returned to a distant place...

[This one was particularly difficult for me to parse; I think I got the gist, especially since it's pretty obviously referring to the extra life mechanic, but I'm not sure I broke it down correctly.]
I think the way you wrote it makes the most sense.

私の名はフリーダン。時をこえて生き続けるもの。

Watashi no na wa Furiidan. Toki o koete iki tsuzukeru mono.

[This didn't occur to me until I was nearly done the translation, but Friedan's an actual name, so I went with it. I could be reading too much into it but I feel that his name, which is clearly Germanic rather than English like the ones we've seen so far, is meant to highlight that Friedan is from the Middle Ages rather than the early modern period Tim's from. The second part seems weird to me, I think because I'm thinking about time the wrong way, so I had to interpret it. Maybe it instead means that the time he lived in has passed?]
I would read it as "I have surpassed time and I still live", which isn't all that different from your interpretation.

テム:ローラおばあちゃんから教わったんだよ。本当に困ったときにふけって。

Temu: Roura obaa chan kara oshiwatta n da yo. Hontou ni komatta toki ni fukette.

Tim: I learned it from Grandma Laura. I can play it when I'm really worried.

[I don't know why it's "I can play" rather than "I play".]
I thought it might be 耽る, as in "absorbed in a truly troubling time/moment", but I'm not sure why it would be in て form then.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's amazing how much work went in to this. I don't speak any Japanese and a thread like this is an interesting example of what it once was like for fans. If you wanted to play a game like this, this is what you had to do, or you needed someone else to do it for you. Those resources were rare and hard to come by. It makes every one that does exist pretty precious, even today.

Really cool stuff Thammy.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
リリィ:これだものおじょうさまったら。

Ririi: Kore da mono o jou sama ttara.

Lillie: That's how it is, little lady.

[I feel like this is a stock phrase I'm not interpreting correctly. I don't know if "o jou sama" directly translates to anything more than, say, "honoured miss girl", but I think it tends to associated with prim and proper rich girls. In this game it tends to be used sarcastically, so I've gone with "little lady", which I think can be used in a sarcastic and patronizing way.]
I think it might be "this is how it is, with the Young Lady", as in, if we're talking about her, this is how it's going to be, as she decided for herself.

リリィ:そっちこそお城の外へ出たことがあるの?

Ririi: Socchi koso o shiro no soto e deta koto ga aru no?

Lillie: It'll definitely be like that; have you ever been outside the castle?

[I feel like I'm interpreting the first part of this backwards somehow. Maybe it's meant to be snark?]
Maybe そっち is simply referring to "that" castle? I'm not sure.

カレン:あら、テムはあたしのおともだちよね?! / うん、もちろんさ / よくわかんねえやし…

Karen: Ara, Temu wa atashi no o tomodachi yo ne?! / Un, mochiron sa / Yoku wakan'nee yashi...

Karen: Ah, Tim's my friend, right?! / Yeah, of course / I can't so easily know you that well...

[I'm not confident that I understood what the "yoku" and "yashi" were here, but I took a stab at it being "well" and "easy".]
よくわからない means "unsure, not knowing well" as far as I know; from the picture, there's only や at the end, which could be some kind of interjection (from what I have found it might be dialectal, which doesn't really fit with the character up to now, I believe).

I'm glad to have managed to catch up today. Just in time for the next part! I'm definitely intrigued by the story/setting so far, especially with everyone hinting at some more serious/weird stuff happening later on.

Chapter 7
OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
2-iagensoukijapan191ngk8k.png

Village of the Itory clan

2-iagensoukijapan192umjgn.png

Itory

2-iagensoukijapan1934ujm7.png

Village of the Itory clan

2-iagensoukijapan195sxkuh.png

Lillie: This is my village. Even though I said it, you're still surprised that there are no houses, right?

2-iagensoukijapan196y7jve.png

Tim. Can you try playing for me the melody from when I called out to you in the in the basement of Edward Castle?

2-iagensoukijapan19727ktd.png

Lillie: Tim. Where are you going? Play the melody here…

2-iagensoukijapan202ehktg.png

Began playing the melody that Laura taught.

2-iagensoukijapan203fok7u.png

The melody rode on the wind and was spread throughout the prairie.

2-iagensoukijapan204qbjxo.png

Lillie: Did it surprise you?

2-iagensoukijapan205wqjhb.png

Normally people can't see our Itory village because it has a barrier.

2-iagensoukijapan2063gjv2.png

Anyway, the little lady was suffering, wasn't she...?

2-iagensoukijapan207xyj8i.png

On the mountain road, I felt like I was going crazy with hearing "my feet are hurting" and "I'm thirsty".

2-iagensoukijapan208omky5.png

Karen: I can't help that. After all, my feet really were hurting.

2-iagensoukijapan209gdkzb.png

Lillie: Well, I think that's okay. Anyway, please come with me. I'll guide you to my house.

2-iagensoukijapan210oqjtd.png

The Incans that once lived on this land were a people without a written language.

2-iagensoukijapan211bqkey.png

Their legends were passed down through sound.

2-iagensoukijapan212e4km1.png

They say that there are intentional meanings even in melodies that are sung thoughtlessly.

2-iagensoukijapan213kgj3p.png

There aren't any children around Lillie's age in this village. Please be good friends with her, alright?

2-iagensoukijapan215ltj8q.png

Laura: Tim! Tim! This way!

2-iagensoukijapan21690jzl.png

Bill: So you were safe; good, good...

2-iagensoukijapan217xrjcs.png

Laura: We saw some very frightening sights!

2-iagensoukijapan2182gj5l.png

A man called Black Panther came taking a large crowd of soldiers with him...

2-iagensoukijapan219pykcr.png

Bill: We were almost killed!

2-iagensoukijapan2202xk3q.png

Laura: Bill, oh my...

2-iagensoukijapan221ypjwn.png

I upset the soldiers' stomachs with my poison apple pie.

2-iagensoukijapan22296j6v.png

We barely escaped in that moment.

2-iagensoukijapan22394j56.png

Laura: Oh, that's right. Lillie, thank you for your work. Come inside with Princess Karen.

2-iagensoukijapan224f7jj3.png

Lillie: Well then, follow me if you'd like.

2-iagensoukijapan22579kqb.png

Tim. This house is mine. But if you want to sightsee around the village before you come back, that's okay.

2-iagensoukijapan226ttkhm.png

Karen: Wait, Lillie. I'll go too.

2-iagensoukijapan227ygjx2.png

Many people come to this land in search of Incan gold.

2-iagensoukijapan228z6k33.png

However, I guess that those who trespass into Incan ruins haven't returned...

2-iagensoukijapan2294ck77.png

The ruins the grave of an ancient people. Shouldn't we leave it alone...?

2-iagensoukijapan230dmjfv.png

It's said around here that when the world of old was falling into ruin, a saviour appeared.

2-iagensoukijapan232ink04.png

Back then, things like the spread of mysterious illnesses without known causes or disappearances seemed to be increasing in towns around the world…

2-iagensoukijapan233fuk32.png

I hope that there is peace on this planet forever.

2-iagensoukijapan237sik3y.png

Thy power, Psycho Dash, can destroy such things as walls and obstacles.

2-iagensoukijapan238pzjok.png

Try it on suspicious places thou have noticed which thou cannot destroy.

2-iagensoukijapan242pmkis.png

Became able to use the Power of Darkness, Psycho Dash!

2-iagensoukijapan2438ykr1.png

The Psycho Dash is a power that only Tim, the young boy, can use.

2-iagensoukijapan244hojju.png

With a body check attack thou canst easily crush things like obstacles and destructible walls.

2-iagensoukijapan245thj5d.png

Thou shouldst charge up using the attack button...

2-iagensoukijapan253i6jse.png

Try running down that hill over there. You'll definitely be surprised.

2-iagensoukijapan263fckil.png

Karen: It's a charming village, right? The wind feels nice and refreshing...

2-iagensoukijapan2651bk76.png

Lillie: The Elder is in the flower field. I don't know how old he is, but he's a very knowledgeable person. Do you want to try and meet him?

2-iagensoukijapan267gsju8.png

Laura: Somehow I had an unpleasant hunch.

2-iagensoukijapan269p8j3f.png

Bill: Go on, you should meet with the Elder. He definitely knows something, after all.

2-iagensoukijapan271fmja4.png

Tim could hear a feeble voice from behind him…

2-iagensoukijapan2720iku3.png

Mysterious voice: It was good that you came, Tim...

2-iagensoukijapan273o9jbh.png

Elder: Here, I'm over here. I'm in the flowers. I've extended my life too long.

2-iagensoukijapan2741dkka.png

Elder: If the flower fairies aren't giving me their protection like this, I won't be able to survive.

2-iagensoukijapan27500k6l.png

While we're talking, you look so much like your parents.

2-iagensoukijapan276bvkep.png

It seems like yesterday that your father came to our village.

2-iagensoukijapan277eljpe.png

Tim: My dad came to your...

2-iagensoukijapan2783ljt0.png

Elder: Your mother... Putting in briefly. Sheila, your grandparents Bill and Laura's daughter, was an extremely beautiful woman.

2-iagensoukijapan2795vkxx.png

Your father fell in love at first sight and stole her from this village.

2-iagensoukijapan280f8k1g.png

Everyone in the Itory clan holds a mysterious power, but Sheila had a power that was stronger than any of ours.

2-iagensoukijapan281edj0j.png

She even erected the barrier that renders this village invisible from the outside, but your father came inside very easily.

2-iagensoukijapan282sejv3.png

When I think about it, that man was also a mysterious human being...

2-iagensoukijapan283wvjsv.png

That being said, were you summoned by your father? / Yes / No

2-iagensoukijapan2844wjyf.png

Elder: I understand... Well, Laura's hunch was right, wasn't it.

2-iagensoukijapan285g3juq.png

So, do you intend to go? / Yes / No

2-iagensoukijapan28689kv1.png

Elder: Very well. In that case, I will entrust you with the Incan idol that is handed down in this village.

2-iagensoukijapan287gajg0.png

The two idols will be the key to unravel the mysteries of the Inca... They have passed through human hands for many hundreds of years.

2-iagensoukijapan288x9jvv.png

One idol is enshrined in the cave below. Muster up your wisdom and you may take it.

2-iagensoukijapan292hrjfa.png

Got Incan Figure A.

2-iagensoukijapan293lkki8.png

Elder: Oh...! That's definitely the Incan idol! Wonderful; you've discovered it!

2-iagensoukijapan294myjdj.png

I think you might have been born to discover the mysteries of the Inca…

2-iagensoukijapan2953lki6.png

Anyway, I'll teach you a legend that is handed down in this village.

2-iagensoukijapan296tyjo5.png

At the "Cliff of Rarai", underground beneath the ruin. Offer the Incan gods where the breath of the gods does not reach.

2-iagensoukijapan297hmjc8.png

The valley wind will guide you to the location of the golden ship.

2-iagensoukijapan298atkgz.png

Did you understand that? / Yes / No

2-iagensoukijapan299a2jxa.png

Elder: It is said that one more is held by the Race of the Moon.

2-iagensoukijapan3000ej9m.png

Lillie will show you the way there. Be careful.

a-iagensoukijapan007dojr0.png

Laura: Hey, there was a nice legend in this village from long ago,

a-iagensoukijapan008mskx9.png

A child with a virtuous heart that wields the Power of Darkness will appear, and embark to save the world…

a-iagensoukijapan009b7jwr.png

When they appear, a great Power of Darkness will revive to graze the edge of the Earth with a gigantic comet...

a-iagensoukijapan01036keg.png

These are the words handed down through the Itory clan.

a-iagensoukijapan01147k1z.png

Bill: Was the Elder still doing well?

a-iagensoukijapan0120ekz5.png

By the way, when you were fighting demons in Edward Castle's basement, didn't you gather shining silver stones?

a-iagensoukijapan013zdkuu.png

I think those stones have a mysterious power.

a-iagensoukijapan014uhjd4.png

It seems that if you amass 100 of them, you will immediately come to your senses at a nearby place after being killed by an enemy.

2-iagensoukijapan3046wj1f.png

Lillie: Huh? The Race of the Moon?

2-iagensoukijapan3055kj5o.png

Yeah, I know them. They're mysterious lifeforms that better resemble shadows rather than a race.

2-iagensoukijapan306bvk9g.png

They dwell on the summit of a tall, tall mountain nearby, but...

2-iagensoukijapan308gwkst.png

…do you want to try going there? / Yeah, I want to go / Actually, nevermind

2-iagensoukijapan309d1j4u.png

Lillie: I understand. Well, I'll guide you.

2-iagensoukijapan310u4k8p.png

Karen: I'm going too...! I want to try seeing the Race of the Moon.

2-iagensoukijapan3118ejd6.png

I want to experiencing things with my own eyes and ears, especially since I was just barely able to escape the castle.

2-iagensoukijapan3121ij6e.png

Lillie: You can't...! It's too dangerous for a little lady like you.

2-iagensoukijapan313fijth.png

If you don't want to bother Tim, wait here obediently.

2-iagensoukijapan314qaj2s.png

Karen: Hmph... Why… I'm the only one being left out.

2-iagensoukijapan3157gk0a.png

It'll talk to Mrs. Laura, so it's okay! It's fiiiine...!!

2-iagensoukijapan316puj1s.png

Tim: Oh no, she's pouting...

2-iagensoukijapan31749k6d.png

Lillie: It's just what the doctor ordered for a selfish little lady.

2-iagensoukijapan318d8kk4.png

Alright, the mountain road is difficult, but let's tough it out.

2-iagensoukijapan319azj1i.png

Like this, Tim and Lillie headed to the summit where the Race of the Moon live.