• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game will disappoint the most

• Cyberpunk 2077

Votes: 175 11.6%
  • Half-Life: Alyx

Votes: 263 17.4%
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 240 15.9%
  • Halo Infinite

Votes: 487 32.3%
  • Ghost of Tsushima

Votes: 238 15.8%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 44 2.9%
  • The Last of Us 2

Votes: 63 4.2%

• Total voters

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
From this list I'm guessing probably Ghosts of Tsushima, which I could easily see just being a pretty Assassin's Creed Japan.

I could see BotW2 getting a much cooler reception than 1 outside the Nintendo crowd if it's too much of the same thing again.

Cyberpunk might come in pretty hot in terms of bugs/performance, I feel that's just the nature of this type of game, although I don't think it'll dissapoint overall/long term.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I voted Halo Infinite. I think there's a lot riding on the launch of that game and I'm not sure 343 are up to delivering what's needed.

Time will tell.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ghost. Sucker punch has only made good games, not great. I doubt they will reach greatness
In fairness to them, this is far and away the longest development time they've had on a project. It'll have been six years since Infamous: Second's Son's expansion when this launches. Their games in the past all had 2-3 year development cycles. I expect this to be their best game by a pretty significant margin.

Oct 26, 2017
In fairness to them, this is far and away the longest development time they've had on a project. It'll have been six years since Infamous: Second's Son's expansion when this launches. Their games in the past all had 2-3 year development cycles. I expect this to be their best game by a pretty significant margin.
I sure hope so, especially as someone who found the last inFamous game rather underwhelming. I genuinely found inFamous 2 to be a decent amount of fun so I'm crossing my fingers for GoT

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wary of some of these FFVII posts... some of them have probably entered the spoiler thread...

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Halo Infinite will be good and competent. Just that. It will be only 'one of them shooters', not 'THE ONE SHOOTER' than its fans desperately wants it to be.

The age of Halo being THE ONE has long gone past.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Marvel's Avengers. The single-player campaign will be solid but overshadowed by the poor execution of the Destiny-like component of the game.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Voted Breath of the Wild 2.... because it won't come out this year.
This is actually a growing fear of mine, and the only plausible way for it to disappoint. And if that's the case, it would run away with the disappointment award.

That said, my answer for confirmed releases is Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I've always loved the PS1-era Final Fantasy games, and FF7 is no exception. I love RPGs, and I especially love breaking FF7 with its junction (edit: Materia ... whoops lol) system and I know this is weird, but I enjoy turn-based and menu-based combat. Every piece of content that I've seen that involves combat from the remake has me sufficiently turned off. I keep looking for something to distill from the news and information we have about the remake, but the actual moment-to-moment gameplay is the not even realm of what I loved about the original game. And don't get me wrong - I GET IT - it's a remake. It's not going to be a 1:1 upscale of the original game that it is pulling its inspiration from. However, I find it difficult to see this fight and get excited:

So it's character action, which I'm already not feeling for a game that I fell in love with as being an RPG. However, let's shift the perspective and say that I am 100% down it being a character action game and that that style excites me. Its ... bad character action? Why is the boss just standing there for half of the fight while the three characters absolutely unload attack after attack after attack, all taking down 0.1% of its health bar? You marry that combat with the fact that it's 1/3 of a game & story and it ends at the moment where the original game truly takes off ... and it's a recipe for potential disappointment. They are investing so much time, effort, and budget into creating this enormous, gorgeous game set in Midgar that there is very legitimate concern the next game will have FFX-style traveling. What's the point of obtaining an airship if you can't explore a world? I don't know. I'm very concerned with how the final product will look. As for the actual game ...

The character models are gorgeous. The set pieces are bringing the original game to life beautifully. It's fully voice-acted and it is extremely detailed. The music is banging at all times. There's so much to love about what we've seen from an assets perspective, but I still worry about the game. FF7 means more to me than just the assets. I hope they can make the game a worthwhile endeavor that a good game once you crack through the layers of FF7 nostalgia & assets.

Last edited:

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
Usually, game for which you have highest expectations will disappoint you the most. So, ironically, games with least amount of votes here are more likely to disappoint a bunch of people.

Oct 27, 2017
I think all of them will be fine, but if I had to pick one....Halo. It'll be a perfectly fine and competent shooter, but I don't think it'll be as huge as the fanbase might expect. The age of Halo being the big kahuna like it was during the launch of Halo 3 is over.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
FF7R Only because it's not what FF7 Fans are expecting it to be and It's going to be a disaster to the hardcore fans, though the general public might love it way more.

This is actually a growing fear of mine, and the only plausible way for it to disappoint. And if that's the case, it would run away with the disappointment award.

That said, my answer for confirmed releases is Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I've always loved the PS1-era Final Fantasy games, and FF7 is no exception. I love RPGs, and I especially love breaking FF7 with its junction system and I know this is weird, but I enjoy turn-based and menu-based combat. Every piece of content that I've seen that involves combat from the remake has me sufficiently turned off. I keep looking for something to distill from the news and information we have about the remake, but the actual moment-to-moment gameplay is the not even realm of what I loved about the original game. And don't get me wrong - I GET IT - it's a remake. It's not going to be a 1:1 upscale of the original game that it is pulling its inspiration from. However, I find it difficult to see this fight and get excited:

So it's character action, which I'm already not feeling for a game that I fell in love with as being an RPG. However, let's shift the perspective and say that I am 100% down it being a character action game and that that style excites me. Its ... bad character action? Why is the boss just standing there for half of the fight while the three characters absolutely unload attack after attack after attack, all taking down 0.1% of its health bar? You marry that combat with the fact that it's 1/3 of a game & story and it ends at the moment where the original game truly takes off ... and it's a recipe for potential disappointment. They are investing so much time, effort, and budget into creating this enormous, gorgeous game set in Midgar that there is very legitimate concern the next game will have FFX-style traveling. What's the point of obtaining an airship if you can't explore a world? I don't know. I'm very concerned with how the final product will look. As for the actual game ...

The character models are gorgeous. The set pieces are bringing the original game to life beautifully. It's fully voice-acted and it is extremely detailed. The music is banging at all times. There's so much to love about what we've seen from an assets perspective, but I still worry about the game. FF7 means more to me than just the assets. I hope they can make the game a worthwhile endeavor that a good game once you crack through the layers of FF7 nostalgia & assets.

This is is literally what I'm talking about. The same thing happened when people saw FFXV is all Character Action, and it's going to happen with FF7R.

Oct 17, 2018
Halo infinite.

Wake me when we go back to the days of filling up a 400 page Halo OT thread in 2 weeks. The Halo OT on Era is dead af and has had the same thread since Era was made.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That said, my answer for confirmed releases is Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I've always loved the PS1-era Final Fantasy games, and FF7 is no exception. I love RPGs, and I especially love breaking FF7 with its junction (edit: Materia ... whoops lol) system and I know this is weird, but I enjoy turn-based and menu-based combat. Every piece of content that I've seen that involves combat from the remake has me sufficiently turned off. I keep looking for something to distill from the news and information we have about the remake, but the actual moment-to-moment gameplay is the not even realm of what I loved about the original game. And don't get me wrong - I GET IT - it's a remake. It's not going to be a 1:1 upscale of the original game that it is pulling its inspiration from. However, I find it difficult to see this fight and get excited:

FF7R Only because it's not what FF7 Fans are expecting it to be and It's going to be a disaster to the hardcore fans, though the general public might love it way more.

This is is literally what I'm talking about. The same thing happened when people saw FFXV is all Character Action, and it's going to happen with FF7R.

It must suck watching that incredible boss fight video and not get excited. Guess the game is really no for you guys.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
It must suck watching that incredible boss fight video and not get excited. Guess the game is really no for you guys.
Oh I actually think the game looks great, I'm just saying the FF7 Megafans will hate it. Even though I don't even have a PS4 for it *shrug*

Sep 14, 2018

Incredible boss fight? Is this what FF is reduced to? That is an incredible boss fight?

This is an incredible boss fight:

The other one looks like a braindead boss fight, the boss barely fights back, what's incredible about that?

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Can't believe halo has taken the lead? That means people must have had expectations for it to be good in the first place.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
343's track record works against them when compared to everyone else.

Personally I think COD 2020 is going to be a bigger mess than Ghosts.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh? is FF7 remake not an action game? Because an action game's combat system can very easily be compared to another action game's combat system.

Regardless, how is a boss standing still incredible? I missed the explanation.

So what? Final Fantasy VII is an action RPG and not a pure action game. Even the thought of comparing it to Bayonetta or Devil May Cry is laughable.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
So what? Final Fantasy VII is an action RPG and not a pure action game. Even the thought of comparing it to Bayonetta or Devil May Cry is laughable.
Yeah skimming through the boss fight the action gameplay gives more of a BOTW feel to me with its being more methodical and all the menu stuff than a pure combo-y action game like DMC or Bayo. No style is worse than the other, just different.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I think Cyberpunk will be a good entry in the Deus Ex like first person RPG genre but the expectations that are put on this game just can't be satisfied. I fully expect a "downgrade" backlash and a scope backlash when the vision in some peoples heads collides with reality. I just hope that with time the game will be enjoyed for what it is.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah skimming through the boss fight the action gameplay gives more of a BOTW feel to me with its being more methodical and all the menu stuff than a pure combo-y action game like DMC or Bayo. No style is worse than the other, just different.

The E3 gameplay tutorial showed exactly how the system works:

You even select abilities from a menu during the gameplay. This has nothing to do with the like of Bayonetta and DMC and it's not even trying to anyway.

Edit: And I agree. They are just different styles.

Sep 14, 2018

Ok how about a certain Action RPG named Bloodborne, that's a pretty 1:1 comparison then. That game has incredible boss fights, this thing looks like a boss fight made for nana's first try.

Btw, you're right comparing this to Bayonetta is laughable, most games pale in comparison, even the good ones and this does not look like a good one.

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Each one of these games is going to see millions. Maybe the least will be alyx but that is just because it's vr

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Halo Infinite. There's no reason to believe 343i will be able to finally make a good game. Being ambitious doesn't mean they'll be able to meet their ambitions, their past games don't inspire confidence.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Every single one of those titles will have players who are disappointed in them either because they were expecting something else or because of inflated expectations.
But for the most part I'm fairly sure all of those titles are safe from major backlash.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok how about a certain Action RPG named Bloodborne, that's a pretty 1:1 comparison then. That game has incredible boss fights, this thing looks like a boss fight made for nana's first try.

Btw, you're right comparing this to Bayonetta is laughable, most games pale in comparison, even the good ones and this does not look like a good one.

It's okay, dude. It's didn't impress you, it's fine. Just don't make strange comparisons to try to prove your point.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I voted Halo after thinking about it. I agree that expectations for it will be lower than most of the other games and as such some might not think it warrants winning the poll for most disappointing. However I would say that a lot of people I know (Myself included) have high hopes regarding the soft reboot talk. So I'm cautiously hoping we get some classic modern halo in infinite, and if not I'll be pretty damn disappointed.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I think all the games on that list will be good. At the same time any game with expectations has the potential to disappoint and there will be groups of people disappointed by all of those. Particularly follow-ups or entries in beloved series which most of those are. Like there will be people super disappointed in the Last of Us Part II, I'm sure of it. Same with Halo, Breath of the Wild, Final Fantasy VII (some people are already disappointed by it and it's not even out). But I think all the poll options will be critically well received and sell lots of copies.

Having said all that I decided to vote for Halo, just because it's such a legendary franchise, has so many die hard fans, and is coming right as XGS is on the upswing. Again, I think the game will be good and succesful.

I don't think the Avengers game is going to be good but it seems like a lot of people are cautious about it so I don't know if that would even classify as a disappointment.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Halo Infinite for sure; just don't know how they could manage to meet older Halo Fan's expectations and 343's previous efforts seem weak.
People will just keep playing MCC on PC since it's new if it's anything less than stellar (Or just play it on Gamepass) and it's not going to sell as much on Steam if it's not stellar quality.

I predict it'll be like Gears 5; a game that seemingly did well critically but isn't going to light the world on fire.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Next Gen consoles. Games will probably be native 1080p at 30fps with Medium graphical settings while the PC counterparts are running 4K at 120fps with Ultra graphical settings.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
As long as the same team who made the 2016 campaign are back I think it will be fine. The multiplayer in 2017 was sort of okay sort of not? Hopefully any mtx are contained to that. As weird as it feels to say, MP in Doom isn't a big deal for me nowadays.

Well, Wolfenstein Youngblood and Rage 2 had cosmetic microtransactions. They weren't enforced by gameplay and felt like a late day additions, but it still makes me worry they may try to shovel them into other franchises.

Last edited: