• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game will disappoint the most

• Cyberpunk 2077

Votes: 175 11.6%
  • Half-Life: Alyx

Votes: 263 17.4%
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 240 15.9%
  • Halo Infinite

Votes: 487 32.3%
  • Ghost of Tsushima

Votes: 238 15.8%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 44 2.9%
  • The Last of Us 2

Votes: 63 4.2%

• Total voters
May 25, 2019
London
FFVII remake, easily. People will gush about it during release week and then by the end of the year realize that they paid $60 for an okay-ish remake of the first few hours of the game, and still have to pay $60 several more times in the next few years to complete the story.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
The Last of Us Part II
I kid. It's going to be spectacular!

Anyway, I want Ghost of Tsushima to be the next best thing in gaming since cup noodles, but Sucker Punch and melee gameplay.. Idk. I soo hope it's amazing. Still buying it day one though!

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Halo Infinite could be the undisputed GOTY and still be the most disappointing game on here because Halo's largest demographic is "fucking infants for whom time stopped in 2004, christ."

NintenDOOM

Jan 8, 2020
France
Personnaly, my biggest disappointement would be Bayonetta 3 not releasing this year.

As pure gaming experience, I think Final Fantasy VII or Cyberpunk might be the most disappointing games of the year considering the really high expectations surrounding those games.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I say Ghost of Tsushima and Halo Infinite. But there is no multiple answer, so I vote for Tsushima.

Nov 4, 2017
Considering how much alt right and gamergate types seem to love CDPR, it would be funny to me if Cyberpunk flopped. I'd love to be awash in a sea of angry basement-dwelling virgin tears.

I'm sure it will be good though.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
I guess the absence of Marvel Avengers from the poll means that expectations aren't really that high, I would've voted for it otherwise.

Cyberpunk 2077 and TLOU2 are the least likely to disappoint.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is also pretty hard to fuck up but I don't think it'll end up as a GOTY contender.

For BOTW2 it depends on which direction they go for, whether they choose to expand on the previous one's foundation or create a more focused Zelda experience. Either way, a good amount of people will be disappointed, but a lot more will be satisfied.

Ghosts of Tsushima will score about the same as Horizon and Spider-Man in my opinion, if not slightly less. It won't be another critical flop like Days Gone, Sucker Punch are way more experienced at creating a refined, compelling product.

Half-Life: Alyx won't eclipse the series' high points by any mean, but I think expectations around it are in check, especially since not a lot of people are going to actually play it in comparison to the rest of the list.

I voted for Halo Infinite although I don't actually think It'll necessarily disappoint in comparison to recent Halo titles (I actually think it'll be really good), only because it's a launch title for a shiny new console so expectations will probably be sky-high. It'll probably generate about the same acclaim as GOT, HLA, and maybe FF7R.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
FFVIIR will disappoint many for not including the full story.

Cyberpunk 2077 will not live up to its slick marketing videos.

Oct 27, 2017
I think from that list the most likely to disappoint is Halo Infinite. Not that I think it will be a bad game, but I think 343 are caught between two places of doing what they want to do like with Halo 4 and 5 and giving the very vocal and numerous original Halo fans what they want by abiding by the gameplay of the original trilogy.

I feel like the other games on that list don't have as much riding on them and aren't being pulled in two directions like this, although there's a chance FFVII will disappoint as well, due to having 20 years of expectations on its shoulders.

I think Ghost of Tsushima shouldn't really be on this list due to being an entirely new IP and arguably not on the same scale of importance as these other games.

May 26, 2018
2077 hype was through the roof

think it will probably end up being a good enough game, great art design and music and it has Keanu, but with obvious flaws in certain sections of the gameplay that will really let some people down.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I havent played 5 but I voted on halo infinite based on how meh 4 was and how much of a broken clusterfuck MCC was.

We'll see.

Last edited:

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Zelda BOTW 2 will be a disappointment. I mean, it not releasing in 2020 will be.

I predict GiT to be a low 80MC, based on absolutely nothing.

Halo Infinite..hmm...i am sure a lot of people will call it the biggest disappointment of the year. Regardless of actual quality, mind you. I just believe they're going to make changes some people will not be ok with.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I think Alyx has the largest way to disappoint, but I personally don't think it will. Valve has been very adamant on saying that it is not HL3.
FFVII will be shorter than a lot of people expect.
And Cyberpunk 2077 is a wild card, it depends on a lot of factors, I hope it will be as good as it can be.

Oct 26, 2017
Cyberpunk 2077 will disappoint only if people are looking to play a GTA-like or expect DOOM-like gunplay.

People should always temper their expectations, but i guess it's kinda hard.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I'm feeling Marvels Avenger's is going to be up there, a lot of noise for something that will likely have so little to do.

Oct 25, 2017
I went into this thread thinking that nothing has quite as big a target on its back as Anthem did a year ago, but those mentioning Marvel's Avengers have a point. I had honestly forgotten it was coming at all, but I have no perspective on whether expectations are high outside of this community, which has generally been pessimistic.

But let's talk about Warcraft III: Reforged.

It's supposedly two weeks away from launch—already delayed from its original 2019 projection, which Blizzard was very hush-hush about all the way into December—and the consensus among those who have played the beta is that it's just not ready. As in December, the community is actively hoping for the best-case scenario of another delay, as things haven't improved since they last checked.

Performance is overly demanding; the original ambitions of the product have been scaled back since its announcement; the main selling point, the fully remodelled graphics, is putting some players off with the overall colour balance and the clarity of unit silhouettes in the RTS top view. Promised networking/matchmaking features have not made it into the beta and are not expected to make it in for launch. The entire Mac build has not been made available in beta at all (whereas with previous Blizzard games apart from Overwatch, which does not have Mac support, beta clients were rolled out, just a little late) and some players are starting to doubt it will show up on day one. What's more, it has emerged that even the "classic mode" is not a faithful continuation of the existing TFT experience, so it's not like the players already active in WC3 can just ignore the performance issues in Reforged and get on with their lives. In its current state, Reforged could quite possibly do the community more harm than good.

If Blizzard intends to commit to their January date, every sign suggests they are in for an awfully rough landing, and that Reforged will squander its generational opportunity to revive interest in one of the PC platform's most influential and durable games. The public mood around this product is considerably grimmer than it was around StarCraft: Remastered (which also under-delivered at launch on advertised features like leagues and matchmaking), and even the broadly competent SC:R dwindled very rapidly into its traditional constituency of South Korea instead of giving the international scene a fresh start. (We know this partly because all of Blizzard's microtransactional bonuses for SC:R, like announcer voice packs, are made for the Korean market.)

Keep an eye on this one. Barring a delay or a surprising turnaround, it might get ugly.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Right now it feels like Halo. We don't know anything about it. But expectations will be through the roof as the Xbox Series X console "seller". And 343 hasn't exactly blown anyone away recently with the campaigns.

Lvng

Nov 1, 2017
I think Cyberpunk, but I might be biased because I didn't think Witcher 3 was all that great when I played it for the first time last year. Unless they've made some big innovations to how they approach things, I don't think it will do all that well. It probably doesn't help that expectations are so high but we've still been shown so little.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
I can definitely see some people being very unpleasant when they find out FF 7R ends at the end of Midgar

Oct 25, 2017
Avengers. No doubt. It looked fucking awful in the reveal. I'm surprised it isn't in the poll.

Also: Poor Halo. I really wish 343 can deliver. I love the franchise so much but i dislike Halo 4 and 5 so much, too :(