• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
This has been something that's been turning in the back of my head for a while now. If Bernie win's one of his biggest talking points has been breaking up big companies that have consolidated a bunch of smaller companies. So which ones are on the chopping block in your opinion? Facebook seems to be everyone's favorite kicking boy. So let's start with them and work our way down. If Facebook is broken up then obviously Whatsapp, instragram, and oculus are all gonna be different companies again. But what other ways can Facebook be broken up? If Libra takes off this year do we break that up from Facebook as well? I think it's interesting to at least discuss the future-landscape with suddenly a lot more companies out there. What do you guys think?

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
Apple. Bring back the iPod as its own company. /jk

Seriously, he won't be able to split ANY company.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
It's far more likely that his administration would just prevent further consolidations and acquisitions.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Almost all of these mergers have already gone through the courts. You can try to pass new legislation to counteract the precedent, but good luck applying those retroactively.

Edit: for giant conglomerates like Alphabet, good luck trying to make generic legislation that that isn't easily dismissed at targeting specific groups.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure that's how that works. Him being in office, they may try to do something. But, it's not up to him.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Google already split up and held by a holding group named Alphabit?

I don't think he's going to break up anything.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Even Democrats are going to fight him on everything, which sucks, but is an eventuality for sure.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Zero, after the Justice John Roberts joins with the other conservatives on the Court declaring the Sherman Antitrust Act as unconstitutional.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Ideally companies like Comcast, AT&T, Facebook, etc. Realistically, none. The federal government would have to file a lawsuit against one of the companies claiming they are abusing power and hurting consumers.

When the feds did this against AT&T back in the 70s it took eight fucking years in court until a settlement was reached.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.