• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Let's say Martin Scorsese agrees to watch a Marvel movie. Which one should it be?

• Black Panther

Votes: 109 23.6%
  • Iron Man

Votes: 66 14.3%
  • Thor: Ragnarok

Votes: 102 22.1%
  • Spiderman: Homecoming

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Guardians of the Galaxy

Votes: 136 29.5%
  • The Avengers

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Doctor Strange

Votes: 22 4.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
User Warned: Insensitive Comment
Apparently Bob Iger wants to meet Scorsese. Let's say he convinces Scorsese to watch just one Marvel movie before making up his mind on Marvel movies altogether, and whether they're 'art'. Which one do you think has the best chance of changing Scorsese's opinion?

If your choice of movie isn't in the polling list, feel free to share it in a comment.

Wondering how the list was compiled? It basically uses the rotten tomatoes ranking of the MCU, but removes sequels, as most of them are best enjoyed with the context that comes from having watched earlier movies. Which is why Endgame isn't on the poll. If you think sequels are fair game, do say which one you'd prefer to have Scorsese watch.

EDIT: It has been pointed out to me that Thor: Ragnarok is technically a sequel to Thor 2, and hence shouldn't be in the list. Honestly, that slipped my mind.

MOD EDIT: Removed insensitive comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is Winter Soldier not included

And yes I read your reasoning. But you included things like Avengers that make no sense without prior context.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No Thor 2 Dark World?

In all seriousness I would pick either Iron Man or Winter Soldier.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
X-Men Origins: Wolverine, of course.

Oct 25, 2017
Blade, the best Marvel movie out there

Second place goes to Punisher 89, Lundgren is fantastic and perfect as Castle.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
How is Winter Soldier not included

And yes I read your reasoning. But you included things like Avengers that make no sense without prior context.
Fair point. The Avengers is technically not a sequel, unlike the Winter Soldier. Personally, I LOVE Winter Soldier. Every bit of it, from the trailers to the actual movie, is all kinds of awesome.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Yeah I'd also vote Winter Soldier. Great ride that doesn't require much context.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
This madness needs to end. He doesn't need to watch an entire Marvel movie to give an opinion.

Like what you like.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
None of them. Ask him to direct a Punisher movie, tell him it doesn't have to "tie in" to anything, see what happens.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
This is one of the most ridiculous things happening in entertainment these days. And that's saying something.

Let Scorcese like what he likes. Who cares?

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
He would never come out changing his mind about anything, but the best of the best is The Winter Soldier.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would a him watching a marvel movie suddenly changed his mind? If anything it will give him more validation.
Also he's right.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus Christ I can't believe how much Disney is losing its mind at a filmmaker hating the MCU.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
After rewatching some of the heavy hitters recently, I still think Winter Soldier is the best MCU movie. I know it doesn't have the climactic events of Civil War, Infinity War, or Endgame, but just in terms of pacing, twists, surprises, and the elevator scene...it's just so good.

I don't think you really need to have seen Captain America TFA to appreciate how good Winter Soldier is.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
You mean MCU movies only? If so, just Iron Man. Probably one of the few MCUs I can rewatch without getting bored.

If not MCU, then Into the SpiderVerse.

castlegar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised to see so many people saying Winter Soldier. It's definitely one of their best films, but I feel like it very much requires knowledge of the character and greater universe.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Marvel films are fine, but what is so controversial about making the claim they are merely movies, which are commodities, as opposed to cinema, which is art?

I mean its clear there is no profound underlying truth the MCU is trying to convey to its viewers, nor a cohesive worldview to demonstrate. At its core they exist to "generate money", which is fine, but lets not ascribe anything more than that.

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel films are fine, but what is so controversial about making the claim they are merely movies, which are commodities, as opposed to cinema, which is art?

I mean its clear there is no profound underlying truth the MCU is trying to convey to its viewers, nor a cohesive worldview to demonstrate. At its core they exist to "generate money", which is fine, but lets not ascribe anything more than that.
I think the issue is that what is and isn't cinema is subjective.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I watched and loved Winter Soldier in theaters without seeing any marvel movies besides Iron Man 1 at the time.

So I pick that.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Guardians or Iron Man. I like lots of the other films, but those work best as standalone movies workout having seen the others. Maybe the original Captain America too.