• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
adrian-meribault-tifa-rend.jpg

aW826Xq.gif

I want to play Final Fantasy VII, not Infamous Second Son.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think some consistent and realistic proportions would do wonders for Tifa.

Her outfit kinda works in Midgar, as a dystopian cyperpunk barmaid, but as soon as shes out in the field she needs a nice pair of shorts and a shirt that fits. Probably a jacket when they get to actual snow.

I think the remake is actually a great opportunity to give everyone some new outfits and several costume changes. Even just a knowing nod to the audience and saying like "What, did you think I was going to leave Midgar looking like this?"

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
It is always weird to me that I didn't really notice Tifa's breasts much as a kid. (My grandma walked in and noticed them right away though :P)

Point being, they've never been central to her look to me. Noticed her long hair, gloves, midriff, basic color scheme, etc. and just sort of didn't think about how big her breasts were. It weirds me about looking at them now and noticing them.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
More than anything, I hope they give her some muscles. She should look like someone who punches monsters to death. Her body is her weapon.

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
I didn't find anything wrong with Tifas outfit or jiggling during fmvs in the original

As an avowed jiggle fan, I would have to say that the main issue with the jiggle in FMV's is how poor it looks. It looks fairly close to DOAX2 jiggling, which is the only in game jiggling I've not liked, due to how utterly bad it looks...whereas each boob not only got their own physics, but also gained sentience and tried to escape.

Maybe make it more akin to this (collection of jiggling from Gantz O. Not necessarily NSFW, but don't view it at work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REn8jFLLYlM

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
This is just Square selling more nostalgia - problem is mostly that FFVII wasn't a very good video game.

Fairly certain people will be disappointed, mostly because they aren't teenagers anymore.

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
As an avowed jiggle fan, I would have to say that the main issue with the jiggle in FMV's is how poor it looks. It looks fairly close to DOAX2 jiggling, which is the only in game jiggling I've not liked, due to how utterly bad it looks...whereas each boob not only got their own physics, but also gained sentience and tried to escape.

Maybe make it more akin to this (collection of jiggling from Gantz O. Not necessarily NSFW, but don't view it at work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REn8jFLLYlM

Well that goes without saying

Yeah I would expect way better physics these days

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't like the all black KH/AC look, so I'd much prefer they keep her more faithful to what she looked like back then. That doesn't mean they have to stick with her weird constantly changing boob sizes, they can proportion her differently, but I need something authentic to the OG attire. Same with everyone else, honestly.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is just Square selling more nostalgia - problem is mostly that FFVII wasn't a very good video game.

Fairly certain people will be disappointed, mostly because they aren't teenagers anymore.

I've replayed FFVII several times over the years including within the last two.

Still my favorite video game of all time.

So yeah.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Keep the general design, maybe give her more realistic proportions. Just don't do super pervy animations and camera angles like in FFXV and MGSV.
To echo others, I'm a big fan of the AC design, but this is really more important. Considering the recent news that they're leaning towards the original designs, she's gonna be busty with a bunch of skin showing, and that's fine cuz it's true to what the original game was, but they can do way better than the way the FMV scenes in the original game treated her. Unnecessarily pervy camera angles in a story that takes itself mostly seriously is far worse than bad outfits.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
People said the same thing about Bayonetta but look at the awesomeness and praise her Bayo 2 look gets.

I think shorter hair Tifa would be amazing.

I think bayo had a lot more unique aspects that make her standout even if you modify some of them. Tifa is pretty plain all things considered

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
What? No

I play FFVII once a year. Still a classic
It's dated. There are many far better jRPGs, especially from that period. Calling it a classic just rubs me the wrong way.

As for Tifa's design... any design is going to have its detractors, regardless of what they do. Nostalgia's funny that way - it's attempting to recapture something that's impossible.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
As long as they animate her in a way that's respectful and don't use the camera to leer in the way some other modern games do, I think I can be happy with the original design (realized in a way that makes her look like a real person and not what certain characters in the latest Kiseki game look like).

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't like the all black KH/AC look, so I'd much prefer they keep her more faithful to what she looked like back then. That doesn't mean they have to stick with her weird constantly changing boob sizes, they can proportion her differently, but I need something authentic to the OG attire. Same with everyone else, honestly.
I didn't care for everyone being in black either. Especially since AC was weirdly desaturated. I swear the only splash of color in that whole movie was Reno's dumb hair.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Especially with Emerald lol. Will it be like those dumb underwater battles in FFX :think:

I am thinking you will have to fight Emerald in the Sub with the Sub's weapons, or they will force the Weapon and your Sub to surface and you will have to fight from the top of the sub with firearms, rockets, and maybe mounted weaponry?

Honestly, it's gonna be weird. But there is just no way the old style will work here. I'm tempted to say they may skip or replace the non-story Weapons.

aW826Xq.gif

I want to play Final Fantasy VII, not Infamous Second Son.

Oh I am laughin' now. Nailed it lol.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Yes to muscle definition.

Edit: Can you imagine if sports bras existed in the world of FFVII's remake? I can see the torches and pitchforks now.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I don't know about non-FF7 stuff but even young Tifa had long hair. Was she ever shown with anything short?

OEXGYZu.png

I think bayo had a lot more unique aspects that make her standout even if you modify some of them. Tifa is pretty plain all things considered

I don't think I could handle Tifa with short hair.

It'd be unfair to all the other Final Fantasy ladies to make something that perfect.

A timeskip Tifa with shorter hair would be awesome. I just bet she would look amazing.

And she's not plain at all. She's... iconic on some degree.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I've replayed FFVII several times over the years including within the last two.

Still my favorite video game of all time.

So yeah.
We have different tastes. I find the game painfully average. I was excited about it initially, but when I tried to replay it I just couldn't (and at the time, didn't really understand why - took some age to get at that). So I moved on.

Additionally, if I wanted a remake of the game, I'd still want the old graphics rather than the new ones. The new ones make it really apparent how ridiculous the designs are. Or maybe... it's more that they don't capture the comic style of the concept art.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
latest

yeah they should go off this...

-don't try to change the outfit design to cover up the skin
-don't put more muscle
-don't decrease the breast size (compared to pic above, not the actual original FF7 FMV design)

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017

Ok.
-----
As for Tifa's model, I'm not expecting a drastic difference from her original design. Maybe as someone mentioned above, some muscle on her as she is a student of martial arts.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I am thinking you will have to fight Emerald in the Sub with the Sub's weapons, or they will force the Weapon and your Sub to surface and you will have to fight from the top of the sub with firearms, rockets, and maybe mounted weaponry?

Well if they forced the sub to surface, you could just have a silly battle where you're standing on top of it fighting Emerald. As long as I get to ram it once underwater.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have different tastes. I find the game painfully average. I was excited about it initially, but when I tried to replay it I just couldn't (and at the time, didn't really understand why - took some age to get at that). So I moved on.

Additionally, if I wanted a remake of the game, I'd still want the old graphics rather than the new ones. The new ones make it really apparent how ridiculous the designs are.

Nah these designs are iconic and have stuck around for a reason IMO. It's not like this is are first look at Cloud, Tifa , etc in high quality . We have the Compilation, Dissidia, Smash, etc. People know these characters and like them.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Nah these designs are iconic and have stuck around for a reason IMO. It's not like this is are first look at Cloud, Tifa , etc in high quality . We have the Compilation, Dissidia, Smash, etc. People know these characters and like them.
I've really seen little explanation as to why people like them though. Most I've talked to just say they do and can't really get much beyond that. Mario and Sonic are iconic... these are... I dunno. Persistent? I think they've lasted as long they have because they're bankable, and much more so than most of Square's more recent designs. People who play RPGs know them... people who don't probably have little or no idea who they are.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
latest

yeah they should go off this...

-don't try to change the outfit design to cover up the skin
-don't put more muscle
-don't decrease the breast size (compared to pic above, not the actual original FF7 FMV design)

-dilly dally shilly shally

Realistically I'm less concerned with Tifa's design than I am with the rest of the cast, especially Cait Sith.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I've really seen little explanation as to why people like them though. Most I've talked to just say they do and can't really get much beyond that. Mario and Sonic are iconic... these are... I dunno. Persistent? I think they've lasted as long they have because they're bankable, and much more so than most of Square's more recent designs.
(Also, Advent Children came out in 2005/2006 in NA. It's been longer from AC to now than it was from FFVII to AC. At this point, when I think of Tifa, I picture the black zipper vest.)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've really seen little explanation as to why people like them though. Most I've talked to just say they do and can't really get much beyond that. Mario and Sonic are iconic... these are... I dunno. Persistent? I think they've lasted as long they have because they're bankable, and much more so than most of Square's more recent designs.

I mean they're bankable because people like them. As for why? I just think they look cool.

You obviously don't have to agree with me. Taste is subjective. But I think people are attached to these designs.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France

Wow.

FF7 had iconic characters, great art direction, one of the most famous villain of all time (for reasons), great scenes (Sephiroth in flames, Zack sacrifice, the last battle...), some strong themes that are still relevant today (environment, genes mod...), well-down drama... The game has a LOT of things going for it. I don't even have nostalgia for it since I played it three years ago for the first time.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Hopefully, it's exactly the same as the artwork. There's nothing at all wrong with her design. But there should of course be nothing in the movie like those two ridiculous CG scenes at all,.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Change the outfit. Keep the proportions.

Mainly because the idea that only women with small breasts or hips should be taken seriously is something that is promoted, intentionally or not, too much.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The best I can realistically hope for is the advent children proportions and something resembling the OG outfit.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Wow.

FF7 had iconic characters, great art direction, one of the most famous villain of all time (for reasons), great scenes (Sephiroth in flames, Zack sacrifice, the last battle...), some strong themes that are still relevant today (environment, genes mod...), well-down drama... The game has a LOT of things going for it. I don't even have nostalgia for it since I played it three years ago for the first time.
The plot's melodramatic and poorly written, and while I agree some of the scenes have impact the rest of the game is slow and extremely grind heavy (materia leveling), particularly for dealing with the weapons and other side-quests. The themes are given only the shortest shrift and are just there as window dressing for the previously mentioned melodrama. There's no deep discussion about them - certainly nowhere near the level of something as focused as Papers, Please or LSD. Great art direction... I think I've already mentioned how I feel about that (it's passable for 3D at the time but there were definitely better looking games). I'd say Midgar was the tightest point of the game and after exiting that it became... scattered, to say the least.

Anyway - regarding Tifa's design, I agree that the black zipper-vest seems more reasonable, but I doubt that's going to happen - I think fans expect the females to be pretty much the same as their original incarnations (maybe with the ability to change their costumes... microtransactions for extra costumes? who knows).

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Out of all of the Final Fantasy games i've replayed and expected to have soured

oddly, Final Fantasy 7 has soured the least

playing it just puts a magnifying glass on the difference between today's RPGs and what made me fall in love with the genre back then

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

If you want to argue that it's not as good as it has been made out to be, that's fine. But to say it's straight up "not very good" is simply wrong. There's a reason it is beloved as it is and there is a reason why people still play it today.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully, it's exactly the same as the artwork. There's nothing at all wrong with her design. But there should of course be nothing in the movie like those two ridiculous CG scenes at all,.
They could ditch the miniskirt. The only reason it didn't look absolutely ridiculous was because the graphics were so simple. Short shorts would be fine.

If you want to argue that it's not as good as it has been made out to be, that's fine. But to say it's straight up "not very good" is simply wrong. There's a reason it is beloved as it is and there is a reason why people still play it today.

I played it when I was 12, and played it again as recently as a year or two ago. Keeping its era in mind, I think I enjoyed it more as an adult.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
It is always weird to me that I didn't really notice Tifa's breasts much as a kid. (My grandma walked in and noticed them right away though :P)

Point being, they've never been central to her look to me. Noticed her long hair, gloves, midriff, basic color scheme, etc. and just sort of didn't think about how big her breasts were. It weirds me about looking at them now and noticing them.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Never noticed as a teenager and seeing this now.. I'm like wtf is going on, damn those are some melons with legs. So weird indeed.

Also a big no to covering her legs, that would be so unrealistic.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Ok. I disagree and don't think it's very good.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Her original design was clearly meant to evoke a classic monk/brawler/fighter RPG character. I hope they keep that inspiration. The Kingdom Hearts design really doesn't, for example, so I hope they don't go that route.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Ok. I disagree and don't think it's very good.

That's fine. But you said it as if people are going to be disappointed because they remember it as a good game, when it fact it isn't.

The two problems with that are that a) the remake is going to play very differently, so that isn't a factor and b) you're definitely in a smaller group of people with your opinion. So using that to speak for others is silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.