• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I already theorized this when the last teaser hit, but I'm pretty much convinced that the main reason they held off showing Tifa in the last teaser is that they want to use her to showcase the new action-focused battle system.

Ask someone what their favorite scene was in Advent Children and you'll almost certainly get "the Tifa fight in the church" as the answer. I even recall claims back then that the official CG image of her in the church was the most Google searched image at the time.

Pretty ladies destroying hordes of enemies have always been a big media grab, but it's especially a big draw now after blockbuster hits like Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel (contrary to the hilariously pathetic cries of manbabies online). And considering there's a pivotal moment where Tifa becomes the main playable character AND pulls Cloud out of his emotional slump, I really do believe that when this Remake is concluded that her status as the most popular character after Cloud and Sephiroth will be cemented....and I wouldn't say it's impossible she rises above one or both of them. I've recently seen streams from popular YouTubers who love the crap out of FFVII and was surprised to learn that they've chosen Tifa as their all-time favorite character, even after Cloud.

That's why it's so very, very important that Square makes sure she gets an accessible design appreciated by almost everyone, instead of specifically catering to the hentai side of the fandom. I really hope they got their priorities in order.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
. I even recall claims back then that the official CG image of her in the church was the most Google searched image at the time.

I mean who didn't have some variation of this as their desktop background aside from her 10th anniversary classic outfit image at that time
Final.Fantasy.VII.full.48732.jpg

instead of specifically catering to the hentai side of the fandom

How is keeping her old outfit with proportions you expect Tifa to have specifically catering to the hentai side.

But I agree. She obviously is a big reveal so it makes sense keeping her for SE's E3 conference and she is a great way to show off the combat system

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is keeping her old outfit with proportions you expect Tifa to have specifically catering to the hentai side.

I'm specifically referring to the folks demanding she have the largest, jiggliest boobs in existence.

Yes, logically there's no way Square would do that....but I still worry at the possibility.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm specifically referring to the folks demanding she have the largest, jiggliest boobs in existence.

Yes, logically there's no way Square would do that....but I still worry at the possibility.

They will be as big as her 10thAnn/AC version and she might have some light jiggle mostly seen on her in battle idle pose

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been seeing a growing trend of "Beefa Lockhart" artwork, which makes for a nice contrast to the more expected surge of "that other kind" of artwork.

As I said before, I personally don't want a dramatic excess of muscles, as I still want the character to retain her soft feminine features, so once again I would prefer a "middle ground" approach. Although honestly I'll be surprised if we even get back: thinking back, I can't recall any instance of an FF lady having even a hint of muscle tone: even physically powerful characters like Beatrix, Lyse and Fran still have noodle arms and slender figures.

Anyway, I had two questions since this thread got bumped:

1. When the time comes, do you think we should start a new thread regarding the inevitable discussions about her Remake design, or continue in this thread with a mod-changed title like "Let's Discuss Tifa's Design in the FFVII Remake"?

2. I've made this claim before, but the more I think about it (not to mention the endless posts on social media), the more I'm convinced that after Cloud and Sephiroth, Tifa is the most popular FFVII character. It's made me curious where everyone ranks up popularity-wise; I know there have been official Japanese polls before, and last I checked the order has always been Cloud>Sephiroth>Tifa and/or Aerith, with the other heroine just a few votes shy from the other.

But nowadays? I'm pretty sure she's cemented at number 3. And if that's the case, depending how the Remake goes, she might end up in the number 2 spot thanks to a new and/or rejuvenated audience.

I'm saying that partially because I've been wondering how Sephiroth would be received with a new audience. I still consider him one of the greatest villains of all time in any fiction, and he's possibly the most influential character from the entire FF franchise....but that's the double-edged sword. Because he was so influential, we have had no shortage of "long-haired handsome evil dudes with big swords" as a villain archetype for decades now. Sephiroth might be one of those late 90's relics that might not impress today's generation...but then again people are still obsessed with Darth Vader, so I'm probably overthinking it.

But thanks to modern trends that favor powerful women in lead roles, Tifa has a real chance to end up even more popular than she already is, and for unanimously non-cheesecake reasons at that. I'm theorizing this with only partial bias: depending how they split up these games, Tifa becomes the sole heroine for the long haul of FFVII. That's why it's so very important they don't fuck up her design and portrayal.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
I'm saying that partially because I've been wondering how Sephiroth would be received with a new audience. I still consider him one of the greatest villains of all time in any fiction, and he's possibly the most influential character from the entire FF franchise....but that's the double-edged sword. Because he was so influential, we have had no shortage of "long-haired handsome evil dudes with big swords" as a villain archetype for decades now. Sephiroth might be one of those late 90's relics that might not impress today's generation...but then again people are still obsessed with Darth Vader, so I'm probably overthinking it.

But thanks to modern trends that favor powerful women in lead roles, Tifa has a real chance to end up even more popular than she already is, and for unanimously non-cheesecake reasons at that. I'm theorizing this with only partial bias: depending how they split up these games, Tifa becomes the sole heroine for the long haul of FFVII. That's why it's so very important they don't fuck up her design and portrayal.

Agreed.

Ultimately, I just want the design to convey her personality; she's a small town girl with a passion for martial arts who's been through a trauma and is reinventing herself in the big city—like a lot of college aged kids. Her appearance is in ironic contrast to her somewhat shy, supportive, true self.

(I would give serious money to have a line of dialogue late in the game where Cloud gently ribs her with "remember your cowgirl phase?".)

May 26, 2018
I've been seeing a growing trend of "Beefa Lockhart" artwork, which makes for a nice contrast to the more expected surge of "that other kind" of artwork.

As I said before, I personally don't want a dramatic excess of muscles, as I still want the character to retain her soft feminine features, so once again I would prefer a "middle ground" approach. Although honestly I'll be surprised if we even get back: thinking back, I can't recall any instance of an FF lady having even a hint of muscle tone: even physically powerful characters like Beatrix, Lyse and Fran still have noodle arms and slender figures.

Yeah. It's probably just not going to happen. She's going to have the physique of a girlfriend who jogs and eats well, but doesn't really participate in strenuous athletic routines. She won't looked trained for dangerous missions in even the slightest.

If it was a western development team, I might anticipate slight muscle tone. But it's Japan, and I can't remember any Japanese-developed women protags having muscle tone, at least not in any major games...

Have any ever existed? I'm actually genuinely curious now because I can't remember any.

May 26, 2018

That is a good point, mentioning this actually jogs my memory now. There are some decent muscle-toned designs in fighting games. Vanessa immediately sprang to mind.

vanessa-v4.jpg

And if we're talking about Street Fighter, there's of course Cammy too

latest

As well as others I'm not mentioning here.

I think the problem is I was limiting my thinking to RPGs.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If it was a western development team, I might anticipate slight muscle tone. But it's Japan, and I can't remember any Japanese-developed women protags having muscle tone, at least not in any major games...
Amazon in Dragon's Crown but it didn't exactly go over well. Though maybe most of the controversy was Sorceress, not Amazon, don't remember.

Last edited:

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
All I know is that my girlfriend is going to be mad if they give her smaller boobs.
I'm really hoping for some visible muscle and alternative costumes.
Smaller in what context though? Because there's gameplay and AC Tifa, and "Jesus Christ these FMVs what the hell are those" Tifa.

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
You mean like in the original game right? Because jiggly Tifa would totally be faithful!

We're getting Tifa from AC with a different face and obviously her classic outfit and that's that.
Definitely like the original or something crazier. I'm sure whatever we get will be pretty great. There have been plenty of solid Tifa designs to pull from.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think if we see jade from dragon quest 11 that's the last female fighter from square
Dragon-Quest-XI_Jade-CG2.png

so by this i think square will keep big boobs, she will use shorts or skorts, and she will not be strong i know its different designers and teams and stuff, but i think it might be an indicative of how square might depict tifa

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i think if we see jade from dragon quest 11 that's the last female fighter from square
Dragon-Quest-XI_Jade-CG2.png

so by this i think square will keep big boobs, she will use shorts or skorts, and she will not be strong i know its different designers and teams and stuff, but i think it might be an indicative of how square might depict tifa
I see no chance of shorts. Skorts at best and you probably won't be able to tell they are skorts without looking. They gonna keep that as close as possible

And like how can I expect anymore from them?

Just a few examples. I don't think they care too much

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone confirm skirt or shorts? I couldn't tell.

But god I am so happy, it's literally what I wanted.

The fan-art isn't going to stop, and that's fine. She's still incredibly beautiful and they emphasize her awesome fighting.

And that her and Cloud are the ultimate power couple <3

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone confirm skirt or shorts? I couldn't tell.

But god I am so happy, it's literally what I wanted.

The fan-art isn't going to stop, and that's fine. She's still incredibly beautiful and they emphasize her awesome fighting.

And that her and Cloud are the ultimate power couple <3
It's a skirt.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I love love love the pleats in her skirt! They're so cool! And she's not overly boobtastic, which is nice.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
No complaints

She still has big bust but is not ridiculous, she now has zettai ryouiki(WTF), and actually looks like she hits hard. She also has bike shorts like i was thinking

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Requesting a mod change the thread title to "Let's Discuss Tifa's Design in the Final Fantasy VII Remake".

Also request that if anyone finds any outside salt to kindly share it here.

I'm already seeing some "nerfed" posts and they're glorious.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Cool redesign. They made some practical changes, but still kept her design as recognizably Tifa. I thought they were just gonna put her in her AC outfit.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pleasantly surprised to have not seen too many shitty arguments..... yet

A couple are complaining her arms and legs are too thin.

Which...is a fair point. I had said before that Square tends to design their ladies with slender frames, even the physically powerful ones.

I would have liked a little bit more muscle definition, but considering we got the not-outrageous chest and an actual motherfucking skort, I think it's a fair compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.