• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's been an ongoing debate that's popped up on most of the Remake threads, and a lot of people were expressing interest to discuss it further in its own dedicated thread. It is with some reservation but significantly more interest that I go ahead and make this thread.

I only ask that the people posting here be respectful during the conversation.

If you don't....

colne_6_05_PS.png

Since the very second the FFVII Remake got revealed, people have been endlessly speculating (and mostly arguing) over how they're going to handle Tifa's design with the more realistic tone and visuals. We've already seen proof that Square isn't afraid to make a few revisions to the iconic character designs (Barret is wearing shades and has a modified gun-arm, Cloud was seen as more sickly and thin, though it seems that's been further revised to resemble his old design even though there's no official render available publicly), so it's not too much of a stretch that Tifa's old outfit would follow suit.

U5tGTsK.jpg

It can be pretty much agreed that the design is meant to evoke sex appeal, which in itself is not a bad thing. I think an important key word that a lot of people fail to bring into the discussion is "Balance". Having a sexy design doesn't mean the character can't be taken seriously. It's not always necessary to have an outfit that "makes sense" for the character to wear: if Chun-Li was an actual Street Fighter, she wouldn't step into a ring wearing a long-flowing Chinese dress.

But the portrayal of a character is just as important, and this is where the original FFVII stumbles a bit, unfortunately.

giphy.gif

The game itself has its fair share of suggestive humor at the expense of both the male and female characters, but having Tifa's jiggling jello chest during key FMV moments that were supposed to be taken seriously ended up undermining the character, as if to say that she is always meant to be seen as eye candy.

Just look at what a difference it makes when you take that same design and apply a more modest set of proportions to it:

latest

If only the millions of fan-artists out there could evoke that same level of restraint. Point being, her old design could be transferred over to the Remake, as long as they follow the design sentiments of the above render instead of meeting certain fan demands that, were they taken seriously, she wouldn't even be able to stand under her own power.

But if it were up to me, personally, I say play it safe and cover her up a bit more:

adrian-meribault-tifa-rend.jpg

A redesign of this scale will certainly piss off a good number of purists, but it's not like they aren't whining about the changes being made to the Remake that we already know about. I would be totally on board for something like this, because once again, "Balance" is the key here: She's still plenty sexy, but now you don't have to be embarrassed playing the game in front of other people.

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huge breasts don't embarrass me. Her Advent Children is design is probably the best one. I hope they stick to that one, or something similar.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly be cool if they lifted the Advent Children design, though that might be a bit weird. Unlikely though.

JORMBO

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the Advent Children design and think that would work fine for the remake.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
She will have the miniskirt but her boobs will be appropriately toned down. Maybe a little noticeable jiggle during combat but nothing like DOA. My $0.02

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that there apparently making Cloud more in line with his original look leaves me to believe Tifa won't be changed significantly.

The most I feel is they'll probably give her shorts instead of a skirt.

Also just gonna admit that I really don't like her Advent Children look. She looks better in white.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Her AC/KH design is 100% A-okay with me. I would even say I prefer it over the original. It's way more in line with who Tifa is as a character.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Last design in the OP is hideous.

Just use the original and provide the (superior looking) advent children as a menu option.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. That GIF!

I feel like boob physics were like this hyper advanced feature back then. Like look at what we can do with this technology!!!

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
as long as its nothing like the last pic in the OP, I'm happy. Hope they don't try to westernize her in any way. She looked good in Advent Children, she will probably look better in the Remake
6814a6b16db17d73278e169f06bec276.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
The character designs in the remake don't look drastically different to me, at least when compared to the original designs.

With that in mind, I think Tifa's outfit will be be pretty much the same as the original. Maybe a longer skirt or longer shirt.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Why change it? I mean they are already said they are keeping Cloud's design closer to the original game, it would be weird of they change other characters outside of minor changes (such as Barret)

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Back when Advent Children came out, I'd figured that the promo renders of the AC models in the FFVII outfits would have been the best basis for a HD version of the game. The Barret and Cloud remake models suggest they aren't using those as a basis, but I still think they make for ideal design targets.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I really like the Advent Children version personally.

If they're gonna keep her more traditional design, they should probably change her skirt out for spats or a skort lol. The panty shots would be way too often otherwise.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
If cloud is "going back to his original design", i guess it only means that for Tifa as well. Just skip the camera angles and over exaggerated proportions. We can get the sense that she's extremely curvy with developed proportions as a character without having this

latest

Kind of nonsense going on. The FMV's really didn't know what scale was with Tifa.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about censor ship if anyone brings that up, having a more practical costume would suit the more realistic style they're going for when she's travelling through the Great Glacier for example. She can still dress like a bar maid when she's disguised as a bar maid. SE probably won't change the design though knowing Cindy

signal

Oct 28, 2017
They can't change her bust size because she'll have no support and probably fall to her death in this scene

4cafJ6b.gif

It's not about censor ship if anyone brings that up, having a more practical costume would suit the more realistic style they're going for when she's travelling through the Great Glacier for example. She can still dress like a bar maid when she's disguised as a bar maid. SE probably won't change the design though knowing Cidny

Realism lol. Everyone would die in Great Glacier.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not about censor ship if anyone brings that up, having a more practical costume would suit the more realistic style they're going for when she's travelling through the Great Glacier for example. She can still dress like a bar maid when she's disguised as a bar maid. SE probably won't change the design though knowing Cindy

Because the dude swinging the giant sword around and the guy walking around at night with sunglasses are the shining examples of practicality.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I like her original design, big breasts and all. So that is what I'd prefer in the remake.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure:

Skimpy, same old, FFVII outfit = controversial
New updated outfit that's more in touch with modern times = controversial
Updated outfit but still skimpy = controversial

It's gonna be a lose-lose situation. :P

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think pissing off people who complain about things like this is a worthwhile and noble pursuit. I guarantee that they'll still buy it no matter how many complaints they made, so why not make it as broad appeal as possible.

As someone who doesn't want Tifa's design changed, what have I done to offend you that pissing me off is a "noble pursuit."

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure:

Skimpy, same old, FFVII outfit = controversial
New updated outfit that's more in touch with modern times = controversial
Updated outfit but still skimpy = controversial

It's gonna be a lose-lose situation. :P

Just provide multiple changeable outfits like FFXIII-2 did.

Not as DLC pls.

malyse

Community Resetter
As someone who doesn't want Tifa's design changed, what have I done to offend you that pissing me off is a "noble pursuit."
With the broad ass sweeping changes this game is already making, why exactly is Tifa's design something that needs to remain unaltered instead of being re-rationalized to fit better thematically with the new intent of the game?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should be here classic outfit if the other characters are doing that as well... just make her proportions more realistic, and lose the creepy camera angles during FMV's.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I like her Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts designs, but I'd honestly rather they keep her how she is in the original game with minimal changes, similar to Cloud and Barret and hopefully the rest of the cast.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
She could do with an updated look in my opinion. Heck, they're doing the same thing to Barret and he looks great. I wouldn't mind seeing Tifa with either a new outfit or a redesigned one.

But no cowgirl outfit please.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That last picture in the OP is so boring. If they're shifting Cloud back to his original design to the extent that they're considering recasting the voice actor, expect big (but not cartoonishly big) boobs and some skin.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think most of the party member's will resemble either their AC design (if it didn't change much, like Cait Sith, Red, and Vincent) or basically the same. Barrett looks pretty much like his original design. Like him, Tifa might get some extra belt or zippers, but I doubt it'll be that much different.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I think that last design is awful, but bring on a redesign. It would be weird to update the game and not update the characters a bit.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the broad ass sweeping changes this game is already making, why exactly is Tifa's design something that needs to remain unaltered instead of being re-rationalized to fit better thematically with the new intent of the game?

I don't think I've seen enough to really say the changes are that sweeping frankly. Everyone except Blade Barret looks pretty damn close to their original looks except maybe slightly more realistic compared to their original concept art. But the clothes, hair, etc is still pretty damn close. I just don't see them changing "that" much.

Also you still didn't say why not wanting to change the design makes me so terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.