• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I stopped reading your post when you said breath of the wild 2 for 2020, there's no way

Jun 17, 2018
Let's talk about 2020? We've not got to the best parts of 2019 yet, there's at least 200-300 quids worth of games coming out that all look great!

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
It would be so nice to see how much more they can get from Mario Kart game. I mean 8 Deluxe looks incredible and that's a Wii U port bumbed up to 1080p.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Next year will have Pokémon SWSH DLC, they will finally drop the third versions and do a more modern approach. But they will also release a physical complete edition.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
SMTV is one of the reasons I bought a Switch (admittedly never played one, but wanted to ever since beating P5) so hopefully we'll get something next year.

Gold Link

Apr 24, 2018
Yo-kai Watch 1 will be coming I guess, becuase it was announced to be ported, and this is published by Nintendo in west, right?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo was willing they absolutely could. The question is whether Nintendo sees SMT as a priority franchise. Yeah we know Persona is popular but SMT is a different story.
I'd hope so. I still have nightmares over how terribly the release of SMT IV in Europe was handled.
they're able to help third parties do WW launches for games like octopath, daemon x machina, dragon quest XI S, mario+rabbids (in japan), etc. while these titles don't have as much text to translate as an SMT game, i think nintendo is willing to help a lot with exclusives if they can launch it worldwide at once.

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo just released one of my favorite games in Mario Maker 2 and has a bunch of good stuff coming up soon, but... I still like to speculate about the future. First, let's go back to 2017 and look at the releases (non-ports) then.

Breath of the Wild: Zelda team+Monolith Soft
Arms: Mario Kart team
Splatoon 2: Splatoon/Animal Crossing team? (unclear how much these games have in common in terms of staff outside of the leads)
Samus Returns: Mercury Steam
Mario Odyssey: Mario team
Xenoblade 2: Smallish portion of Monolith Soft

Out of these 6 developers, we're pretty sure that the Zelda team of EPD+Monolith Soft are making BotW2 which could release late 2020 (according to Zell) or might be 2021 based on them giving no release date. Not sure if Splatoon 3 will be next year if a lot of the staff is focused on Animal Crossing but I'm not clear on that. The Mario Odyssey team may have had some programmers and artists working on Mario Maker 2 if they merged with the 2D Mario team, but they may have enough staff to do a sequel to Mario Odyssey in 2020. A Spanish poster that leaked Samus Returns right away says Mercury Steam is making a new Metroid game (or said that back in early 2018, things may have changed since) though there are conflicting rumors if this is a new game or a remake of Super or Fusion. We're not sure what the Mario Kart people are doing but maybe they could lend their staff to Pikmin 4 or something as EPD's structure is somewhat complicated. What the smaller group of Monolith Soft is doing is pretty unclear right now. People had assumed that they were making a new IP but it's possible that could have just been hiring for BotW2. Xenoblade 2 did well but BotW did super well so they may be focusing all their staff on that. Or they could just be making another Xenoblade game since 2 did well.

Possibilities from the 2017 list and my completely random guesses on their likelihood of being 2020 which you should definitely disagree with and explain why:

BotW2: 50/50, maybe.
Something from the Mario Kart people: IDK
Animal Crossing: 100%
2D Metroid Switch from Mercury Steam: Maybe like 60/40?
Mario Odyssey 2: 60/40?
Xenoblade 3 or a new IP from Monolith Soft: 60/40

Now let's go to 2018 and look at this for a bit:

Kirby Star Allies: HAL
Super Mario Party: ND Cube
Mario Tennis Aces: Camelot

Will ignore Pokemon as I'll get to that in a minute. The Smash people are still making DLC and won't have a new game ready for 2020 pretty obviously, so let's look at these three. Kirby is generally a yearly series and Kirby Star Allies released very early in 2018. If HAL takes around two years to make a sequel, then they could have one out by Spring 2020. On the other hand, Kirby Star Allies wasn't exactly finished by March 2018 and got a lot of DLC support that could have stopped them from starting on a sequel right away. HAL could also take longer with this Kirby to try to be more ambitious or to make sure the game releases full of content on day 1 this time. I feel like ND Cube will release Super Mario Party 2 next year as the first game did amazing sales-wise. They were hiring for a new IP so maybe they'll release that instead, but feel confident they'll release something. Camelot seems like a tiny developer so I'm pretty doubtful we'll get a game from them in 2020.

Another Kirby game: 80/20
Super Mario Party 2 or a new ND Cube IP: 90/10

There could be some WiiU ports (with 3D World being the most obvious and Pikmin 3 being the most rumored) but they release this kind of randomly and it's hard to predict.

Now let's go over some other possibilities:

Pokemon Sword/Shield Third version(s): Seems pretty likely as every game other than X and Y has gotten one and they actually have a selling point for this third version if they include all the Pokemon. 85/15.

Paper Mario 6: Color Splash was released in late 2016 and Intelligent Systems would have had several years if they wanted to make a sequel. On the other hand, IS may have focused their staff on Three Houses and Three Houses saw delays of nearly a full year so it's unclear if they had the staff to spare for this. Even if they did, IS may want to make something else as Paper Mario has had an up and down reception over the last 15 years. 20/80. But maybe they'll release something else in 2020.

Pikmin 4: I assume this game is in development but I don't know how many people are working on as the series has not done well in the first three games. So... Who knows if it will be 2020. 40/60

Retro's game(s) between Tropical Freeze and Prime 4: The ship has mostly sailed on this one as Retro has been aggressively hiring for Prime 4 for the last six months, but maybe there's some chance? Throwing away five years, losing your top staff, and getting Prime 4 seems odd on the surface... But also the most likely situation. 10/90.

Prime 4: They just started on this game. 2/98.

Bayonetta 3: The creative director leaving suggests things are not going well but they can probably still get it out there I think. 80/20.

Prime Trilogy: I'm sure this is done but I have no idea when it will release. IDK/100 - IDK.

So, my predictions for next year:

Q1: Animal Crossing New Horizons, 3D World port.
Q2: Pikmin 3 port.
Q3: New main Kirby game, Bayonetta 3, New major IP from EPD or Monolith Soft or IS, Super Metroid reimagining
Q4: Either Mario Odyssey 2 or BotW2 but not both, Pokemon GunSword and Pokemon GunShield, Super Mario Party 2.

Lot of this will likely be wrong but just wanted to think about this this morning for fun.

OP, this is some of the best and most considered speculation I've ever seen on Era. I was really expecting this thread to be "Lol I can't wait for BOTW2 and MP4 to release on the same day as the Switch Pro! It's 100% going to happen!!", but what you've written is really well argued.

I wonder if they'll do something with Super Mario 3D Land as well as World. Obviously a bundle of both of them would be too good to be true (and wouldn't make financial sense), but with the 3DS dead at this point, it would make sense for them to bring both those games to the Switch, especially if they intend to continue the '3D' series in the future.

Also, I know you're looking at 1st and 2nd party stuff, but what about Mario+Rabbids 2? That game and the DLC seemed to be a huge success.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I know you're looking at 1st and 2nd party stuff, but what about Mario+Rabbids 2? That game and the DLC seemed to be a huge success.
the game was a massive hit (best selling third party title in the US and spain, iirc). they sent out a survey about what characters people want in a sequel. i think it's almost certain that a sequel is being worked on, probably revealed at e3 2020 with a late 2020 release date.

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the game was a massive hit (best selling third party title in the US and spain, iirc). they sent out a survey about what characters people want in a sequel. i think it's almost certain that a sequel is being worked on, probably revealed at e3 2020 with a late 2020 release date.

Didn't realise it sold that well, wow. I still need to play it!

logash

Oct 27, 2017
sure

botw 2
animal crossing
no more heroes 3
2D metroid (sakamoto and mercury steam)
metroid prime trilogy

warioware
mother 1+2+3
a new monolith soft game

bayonetta 3
smt 5 (i think this will be published by nintendo outside japan)
super mario party 2
mario golf
new kirby
paper mario
retro's new game
some wii u ports
Maybe if we all collectively thrust these vibes into the universe they will come true.

New Monolith games alone would make me lost my shit.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why? There is no Mario Kart Switch (only a WiiU port) and also no new console planned.
as far as they're concerned, there's no point. mk8d is selling as well as any brand new mk game would be.
they can just ride out switch with the current game and then have 9 ready for the launch of switch 2.

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped reading your post when you said breath of the wild 2 for 2020, there's no way

Obviously stopped reading it before he said there was a 50/50 chance of it coming next year.

I want it next year but I doubt it considering Nintendo announced it as "now in development"

Yeah, it seems super unlikely to me, but what do I know really. Though I feel people are making big assumptions based on the fact that Majora's Mask was made so quickly, even though that was almost 20 years ago under totally different conditions.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I wasnt really expecting Odyssey 2 next year but this thread has given me a little hope

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Saying 50/50 is just a failproof way of saying it can or cannot happen. The fact that Nintendo just said Now in development just tell me it's NOT going to be in 2020

I wouldn't bet against it. BoTW1 was probably pushed back a bit to make the switch port work which means the game could have been done a lot sooner than march 17.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saying 50/50 is just a failproof way of saying it can or cannot happen. The fact that Nintendo just said Now in development just tell me it's NOT going to be in 2020
they didn't say it just started development, they confirmed that the game is currently in development. botw was done a long time ago (probably months before the launch of switch, being kept to be released for the system's launch), and the dlc wasn't something that occupied the whole team for a whole year. from the launch of botw in early 2017 to botw in late 2020, there's almost four years of dev time. considering they already have the engine and a ton of assets to reuse, that's WAY more than enough time for a sequel.
i really don't understand why people think the idea of late 2020 for botw 2 is so outlandish. they need a game for the 2020 holidays, and botw 2 is most likely that title.

edit: oh and insiders have already hinted at it being a 2020 title.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread reminded me that SMT5 is a thing that was announced a while ago. Completely forgot about that.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
they didn't say it just started development, they confirmed that the game is currently in development. botw was done a long time ago (probably months before the launch of switch, being kept to be released for the system's launch), and the dlc wasn't something that occupied the whole team for a whole year. from the launch of botw in early 2017 to botw in late 2020, there's almost four years of dev time. considering they already have the engine and a ton of assets to reuse, that's WAY more than enough time for a sequel.
i really don't understand why people think the idea of late 2020 for botw 2 is so outlandish. they need a game for the 2020 holidays, and botw 2 is most likely that title.

edit: oh and insiders have already hinted at it being a 2020 title.

It's entirely possible for it to be 2020. Maybe Nintendo just doesn't want to risk announcing delay so they're keeping quiet until they're 100% sure it'll be 2020. Like how Animal Crossing was teased 2019 but had to be delayed. Maybe they should have just said "New Animal Crossing now in development".

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's entirely possible for it to be 2020. Maybe Nintendo just doesn't want to risk announcing delay so they're keeping quiet until they're 100% sure it'll be 2020. Like how Animal Crossing was teased 2019 but had to be delayed. Maybe they should have just said "New Animal Crossing now in development".
that's exactly the reason why i think it was announced without the "2020" at the end, because there's always the chance that it may need some more time and slip into Q1 2021, but i think the target date is definitely late 2020.
in hindsight, it definitely would have been better to announce animal crossing without the 2019 release date, so nintendo is just being careful with botw so they don't disappoint people.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
with the release of DQXI S in september, SMT 5 will the the only unreleased title featured the switch reveal conference in january 2017 (there was also Steep but that got cancelled)

that's super hyperbolic
Nah. Just saying, if anything, the game could have used more time in the oven.

Their first party stable has gradually decreased over the years on consoles...some of the previously well-known games (F-Zero, Mother being my main examples) and some of the more niche titles (Custom Robo, Sin & Punishment) have all faded from consoles.

While I realize the sales just weren't there for these titles, it seems like it would be important to have these niche games available to help keep a healthy diversity of offerings. Also, these games happen to be some of my most enjoyed Nintendo IPs.

The only reason I'm mentioning this is because I look at the potential 2020 lineup and see the same IPs that I've become far too used to seeing over the past decade.

I just hope one day they'll be willing to release a smaller budget version of one of their obscure IPs.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't know about that one. The Wii U version barely works, let alone the Switch version.
I put in 300 hours in the switch version and had zero bugs. So i'm not sure it "barely works". Yes performance at launch was a bit all over the place but this is optimization not creative work.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Just saying, if anything, the game could have used more time in the oven.
i know, since it took them some time to optimize the game further and make it more stable. i'm just saying if there was no switch and no need to time the game with switch's launch it would have been ready a lot sooner. while it takes time to port and optimize the game, most of the team was done with it a while before release and had moved on to either the dlc or the sequel.
i'm just saying, anyway you look at it, the sequel has had a lot of dev time already and people thinking it just started development are very wrong.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Regarding Pokémon next year, I feel like a Diamond/Pearl remake would be more likely than Mega Sword & Mega Shield.

The thing is that MK8D is still printing money. At this point, they'd be better off preparing Mario Kart 9 as a launch (window?) title for the Switch's successor in a few years.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017